• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
mFKAwT0.jpg

I'm looking for someone who does high quality custom card alters. I want to make a tribute card to a friend who passed away recently. Can anyone point me somewhere?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Socat

I had a dream last night I ran a deck that looked like this at FNM:

Deck: RW Monks
w.gif
r.gif

//creatures
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Seeker of the Way
4 Soulfire Grand Master
4 Monastery Mentor
2 Goblin Rabblemaster

//spells
4 Raise the Alarm
4 Wild Slash
4 Lightning Strike
2 Magma Jet
3 Chained to the Rocks
2 War Flare

//Land
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Mana Confluence
7 Plains
8 Mountain

Display deck statistics

I think its probably janky as fuck, but I also feel I need to make my dream come true.

id probably go 2 soulfire grandmasters and 4 rabblemasters

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Should probably have all 4 Rabblemasters, Stoke the Flames and made Hordeling Outburst

Meh, that seems a little too close to R/W Midrange for my tastes. The idea is triggering a bunch of Prowess nonsense and playing these FRF Monk duders. Rabblemaster is already offending me by not being a monk and if World of Warcraft has taught me anything, its that Goblins can't be monks.

Firemind

Speaking of alters, every time I see alpha/beta duals and other high valued cards signed or altered in some way, I die a little inside. I suppose it's okay if they're heavily played, but otherwise it's like using a marker on mona lisa. There was a dude at the last Legacy GP who played nothing but altered cards. smh

f0rk

Meh, that seems a little too close to R/W Midrange for my tastes. The idea is triggering a bunch of Prowess nonsense and playing these FRF Monk duders. Rabblemaster is already offending me by not being a monk and if World of Warcraft has taught me anything, its that Goblins can't be monks.

Maybe Outburst fits better then Rabblemaster then, at least it triggers prowess

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
My decklist:

quote:
3 Elvish Mystic
3 Frost Walker
3 Heir of the Wilds
2 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Savage Knuckleblade
3 Boon Satyr
1 Shaman of the Great Hunt
3 Polukranos, World Eater
4 Stormbreath Dragon

3 Temur Charm
3 Stubborn Denial
1 Icy Blast
4 Crater's Claws
3 Temur Charm

Land

Totally copied, obviously. Frost Walker and Cloudform are infecting the format.
I meant to say this earlier, but there's no cloud form here!

Angry Grimace

I meant to say this earlier, but there's no cloud form here!

Its in the unposted sideboard. Its not a very good card vs. Boon Satyr or Yasova, etc. if you don't have any specific reason to run it.

Any of you guys play on Xmage? Even though I frequently experience lag (EU1 server), I find this client much better than Cockatrice just because of the automated rules enforcement. No more common rules argument that plagues Cockatrice.

I'm currently trying out two Modern Jund builds, one with Coursers and Tasigur, and another with Rabblemasters and Shaman of the Great Hunt.

The Tasigur build seems stable enough but too slow for my taste, I'm really enjoying playing with the rabbles and orcs. The fact that the rabbles and orcs die to most chump blockers and can't go butting heads with Rhinos makes this build an underdog to junk decks. I've only managed to do a handful of playtests so far so it's too early to scrap this idea.

Orcs and Jundblins vs 8 Rack
MB:
2 Bloodstained Mire
4 Raging Ravine
1 Twilight Mire
4 Verdant Catacombs
2 Overgrown Tomb
1 Blood Crypt
1 Stomping Ground
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
2 Wooded Foothills
2 Swamp
1 Forest

4 Tarmogoyf
3 Scavenging Ooze
4 Dark Confidant
2 Goblin Rabblemaster
2 Shaman of the Great Hunt
1 Olivia Voldaren

2 Terminate
3 Abrupt Decay
4 Lightning Bolt

3 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Maelstrom Pulse
3 Thoughtseize

4 Liliana of the Veil

SB
2 Feed the Clan
2 Shatterstorm
1 Grafdigger's Cage
3 Fulminator Mage
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
1 Golgari Charm
1 Thoughtseize
2 Rakdos Charm

The Tasigur Build is almost the same as above with just a few tweaks:
-2 rabbles -2 orcs -4 Bob
+2 Huntmasters +2 Tasigur +2 coursers +2 Anger of the Gods

Angry Grimace

I personally find it funny they're doing pre-release events on MODO for Fate Reforged just now.

Spoilers for Dragons of Tarkir start in about three weeks.
KuGsj.gif

I personally find it funny they're doing pre-release events on MODO for Fate Reforged just now.

KuGsj.gif

MTGO pre-releases are horrible EV as well. It's ridiculous.

The pre-release on MTGO should involve giving everybody a free Swiss draft or something. Hell, make it a 5-3-2-2 - the pre-release should be a celebration of Magic and something exciting, not a time to charge extra tickets.

Angry Grimace

MTGO pre-releases are horrible EV as well. It's ridiculous.

The pre-release on MTGO should involve giving everybody a free Swiss draft or something. Hell, make it a 5-3-2-2 - the pre-release should be a celebration of Magic and something exciting, not a time to charge extra tickets.

They waste a lot of the online format too; there's rarely anything wacky like the Fate Reforged x3 drafts you can do on there, just that for a week or so.

Random thought about the likely Return to Zendikar. Given that:
* There will probably be a good number of Eldrazi cards (at least as many as in Rise of the Eldrazi).
* Return to Zendikar probably won't have the same slow "battlecruiser" Magic limited format as Rise of the Eldrazi, since that was considered a failure.
* Despite that, Eldrazi still have to have a high mana cost.

I have a feeling that the Eldrazi will actually have affinity as their mechanic, though tied to lands or something. Something like:

Eldrazi Mountaineer - (12)
Creature - Eldrazi
Affinity for Mountains (This spell costs (1) less to cast for each Mountain you control.)
When Eldrazi Mountaineer enters the battlefield, you may deal 7 damage to target creature.
7/7

If this is the next block, it even has the benefit of swerving the focus of Standard back to monocolored to provide a change of pace.

Speaking of alters, every time I see alpha/beta duals and other high valued cards signed or altered in some way, I die a little inside. I suppose it's okay if they're heavily played, but otherwise it's like using a marker on mona lisa. There was a dude at the last Legacy GP who played nothing but altered cards. smh

Adarkar Unicorn says come at me bro

2aE9E1t.jpg

Are there any good mardu decks in legacy? The only duals I have are Revised Plateaus and Badlands.

I got the Badlands for a Grixis Pyromancer Dredge deck, but I need Underground Seas for that... -_-

Firemind

Phew managed to reach the finals. Rakshasa Deathdealer is a real nuisance when you have two fake wraths. I miss actual wrath/damnation. :(

KuGsj.gif

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining even a little bit that they squished up the schedule so they could release MM2, but it does have some ridiculous consequences.

Random thought about the likely Return to Zendikar. Given that:
* There will probably be a good number of Eldrazi cards (at least as many as in Rise of the Eldrazi).
* Return to Zendikar probably won't have the same slow "battlecruiser" Magic limited format as Rise of the Eldrazi, since that was considered a failure.
* Despite that, Eldrazi still have to have a high mana cost.

Not sure I entirely agree. I buy the first point; any Zendikar return would definitely include a major Eldrazi component. But unlike Rise, this one wouldn't have to make the Eldrazi so key to the format that the really big ones appear at common in large numbers; they could just be some big things you can play with lots of mana, as a supplement to the land theme.

Yeah, that's where I got the wording.

Not sure I entirely agree. I buy the first point; any Zendikar return would definitely include a major Eldrazi component. But unlike Rise, this one wouldn't have to make the Eldrazi so key to the format that the really big ones appear at common in large numbers; they could just be some big things you can play with lots of mana, as a supplement to the land theme.
There were only 2 big Eldrazi to appear at common, and only 9 total. There were colored Eldrazi Drones and such, which I admit I forgot about.

There were only 2 big Eldrazi to appear at common, and only 9 total. There were colored Eldrazi Drones and such, which I admit I forgot about.

2 is a lot! That plus 2 uncommon ones made sure that you'd always be seeing them in every draft and had to build strategies around them (either drafting them or countering them.) I could easily see a Zendikar 2 set where the colorless Eldrazi are only at rare and mythic, and it's just the smaller colored Eldrazi representing at lower rarities.

kirblar

Don't forget Rhino. Maybe Bob will fall off now.
Was already falling off prior to TC being banned- he's too vulnerable and grindy.

We will definitely see Rhino. (Liked that Chapin pointed to it being a major cause of the Pod ban- not many people have picked up on that on the mainstream sites.)

It feels like Tasigur is stronger than Bob. I could see people straight-up replacing their 4 bobs with 3 Tasigur and a 1-of. I don't see Bob earning you that much more card advantage than Tasigur would in any given game, and Tasigur is way more threatening and without the life loss.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It feels like Tasigur is stronger than Bob. I could see people straight-up replacing their 4 bobs with 3 Tasigur and a 1-of. I don't see Bob earning you that much more card advantage than Tasigur would in any given game, and Tasigur is way more threatening and without the life loss.

4 mana trigger? Nah.

Angry Grimace

Dark Confidant gives you cards for free. I don't think any of the big decks I'm expecting to see at the PT can afford to take life loss from Dark Confidant though. The old Jund build that's turned to Junk just runs Scoozes and Rhinos.

Angry Grimace

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining even a little bit that they squished up the schedule so they could release MM2, but it does have some ridiculous consequences.

I mean, we don't even have a date on Magic 2016(?) but its probably gonna be pretty far out, no?

I mean, we don't even have a date on Magic 2016(?) but its probably gonna be pretty far out, no?

Fate in January, Dragons in March, Modern Masters 2 in May, The Final Countdown Coreset in July, "Blood" in September, Commander 15 in November, "Sweat" next January -- a major release with 1+ week of spoilers every two months for the next year.

ElyrionX

Fate in January, Dragons in March, Modern Masters 2 in May, The Final Countdown Coreset in July, "Blood" in September, Commander 15 in November, "Sweat" next January -- a major release with 1+ week of spoilers every two months for the next year.

I think this is a good pace.

Kerrinck

Managed to win my town's modern PPTQ with UWr control after going 0-2 drop on the standard one with 4c soul.
That Soul deck looks awesome in theory but it really didn't work well enough when I tried it. Folded way too easily to mass removal. The addition of 4 Whisperwood Elementals might help.

4 mana trigger? Nah.

Dark Confidant gives you cards for free. I don't think any of the big decks I'm expecting to see at the PT can afford to take life loss from Dark Confidant though. The old Jund build that's turned to Junk just runs Scoozes and Rhinos.

I'm just saying that I don't see many scenarios where I'd rather have a Bob out than a Tasigur, and they can easily have the same mana cost, plus or minus 1. There are probably some decks that would rather have the 2/1, but it feels like the 4/5 would be better for most decks with black (and easier to build around too).

I might be ignorant but why are there suddenly mana-efficient 4/5s that have good spells on them now?

5 toughness seems extremely problematic (although I don't know Modern, are there tools for dealing with that?)

edit: I'm a moron, but it also just occurred to me that Tasigur and Siege Rhino are black

Kerrinck

I'm just saying that I don't see many scenarios where I'd rather have a Bob out than a Tasigur, and they can easily have the same mana cost, plus or minus 1. There are probably some decks that would rather have the 2/1, but it feels like the 4/5 would be better for most decks with black (and easier to build around too).

I love Tasigur but a Thoughtseize or IoK followed by a Bob is a much stronger scenario in modern.

As for modern removal cards that can deal with Rhino and Tasigur, the only ones I can think of that are used are Path, Cut and maybe Maelstrom Pulse.

Firemind

Oh, wow, Dragons that soon, huh? Does this mean there's a good chance Fate prices will increase due to low supply? Man, I didn't want to pick up a foil Ugin this soon, but I might have to bite now. When Dragons comes out, Fate isn't even going to be drafted anymore!

ultron87

Oh, wow, Dragons that soon, huh? Does this mean there's a good chance Fate prices will increase due to low supply? Man, I didn't want to pick up a foil Ugin this soon, but I might have to bite now. When Dragons comes out, Fate isn't even going to be drafted anymore!

It won't quite be that bad. Dragons draft is Dragons/Dragons/Fate.

Yes it will. The format will be DDF.

f0rk

I love Tasigur but a Thoughtseize or IoK followed by a Bob is a much stronger scenario in modern.

As for modern removal cards that can deal with Rhino and Tasigur, the only ones I can think of that are used are Path, Cut and maybe Maelstrom Pulse.
Dismember as well.
Celestial Purge is a good sideboard card right now as well, gets Liliana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom