• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Fate in January, Dragons in March, Modern Masters 2 in May, The Final Countdown Coreset in July, "Blood" in September, Commander 15 in November, "Sweat" next January -- a major release with 1+ week of spoilers every two months for the next year.

That's a lot of cards. I need MM2 to be out now, though.

Kerrinck

Dismember as well.
Celestial Purge is a good sideboard card right now as well, gets Liliana
Yeah, it's really well positioned right now since it gets rid of most of the troublesome creatures and hits moon and pyromancers ascension as well.

ElyrionX

Went to my first event with my new UR Tempo Twin deck. Went 2-1. Lost the first match to Abzan aggo after losing game one of that match despite my opponent mulling to 5 cards. I had the Twin in hand and the Exarch on the field. Peeked at his hand and no disruption. But drew at least 10 cards and failed to find the fourth land before folding to Rhino and Resto beatdowns.

Second game was against Abzan midrange (see the trend?). His deck was quite janky with a very greedy manabase. Blood Moon finished him off game two.

Match three was against Affinity. Game 1 was easy as I comboed off turn four with a perfect opening hand. Game two was tough as he landed Spellskite turn two and I did not have enough removal to handle his creatures. He mana flooded game three but nearly killed me with Inkmoth infect damage and Arcbound but I had Grim Lavamancer on board and a Bolt in the graveyard with Snapcaster in hand and enough mana to kill his Inkmoth before he could swing in for lethal infect.

All in all, I am pretty satisfied with the deck. It plays like control in the early turns while trying to assemble the combo pieces and the threat of the combo finish makes the tempo game pretty strong too. I know it's not a new deck or anything but I am enjoying it a lot at the moment.

Best of all, I get to play with Snapcaster Mage and Cryptic Command; the two cards which got me into Modern in the first place. Landing a Blood Moon is pretty awesome too lol.

+1 for MM2 needs to hurry up and come out

Slowly building my UWR shell, traded for a set of electrolyze + helix. Bought a geist set before he spiked.

crytpic command + snapcaster are $$$$$$

red13th

+1 for MM2 needs to hurry up and come out

Slowly building my UWR shell, traded for a set of electrolyze + helix. Bought a geist set before he spiked.

crytpic command + snapcaster are $$$$$$

I bought my Snappy yesterday since he won't be in MM2. 35 dollars for a stupid card. :/
Next month I'll buy a Jace the Mind Sculptor, not really looking forward to it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Cryptic Command prices can eat it. Those and Clique. Bah. I should have held on to my Cliques when I opened them in MM. But I thought *psh, faeries aren't going to be a thing*

So naive. So dumb.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";150424742]Some of this shit is so hard to find. Between three days at the gp trolling vendors and trade binders, and searching online, I've seen exactly one foreign slippery bogle, and it wasn't even foil.[/QUOTE]

I always wondered if people would get mad if you played this card in Legacy:

mFCz77F.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
as long as you and your opponent know what the card does, why is there an issue? If it comes down to it, have the english text on a slip of paper to remind you.

It's less a matter of knowing what the card does and more that its a Japanese Sneak Attack.
1EebnJc.gif

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Picking my packs for an upcoming Potluck draft for a friends birthday. I'm definitely looking at one pack from either Shadowmoor or Eventide since I've found the heavy hybrid helps in the format (plus I love those sets) and a pack of Planar Chaos since I fucking love Planar Chaos, but I still need a third. Any ideas?

Picking my packs for an upcoming Potluck draft for a friends birthday. I'm definitely looking at one pack from either Shadowmoor or Eventide since I've found the heavy hybrid helps in the format (plus I love those sets) and a pack of Planar Chaos since I fucking love Planar Chaos, but I still need a third. Any ideas?

Homelands
Though really, maybe something like Conspiracy.

Angry Grimace

Double Fallen Empires, go for pump knights and Hymn to Tourach
KuGsj.gif

Triple Conspiracy. You're likely to be the only one who has any conspiracy cards (as in, the card type) because you're going to first pick them, and you'll have a significant advantage over everyone else.

Failing that, you can do some Cogwork shenanigans.

Angry Grimace

I changed my Kung Fu Goblins list:

4 Plains
4 Mountain
4 Bloodstained Mire
1 Swamp
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Mana Confluence
1 Caves of Koilos

4 Monastery Swiftspear
2 Soulfire Grand Master
4 Seeker of the Way
3 Goblin Rabblemaster

4 Lightning Strike
4 Wild Slash
2 War Flare
3 Chained to the Rocks
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Raise the Alarm

SB:

4 Crackling Doom
2 Murderous Cut
1 Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
3 Erase
2 Mardu Charm
3 Mardu Ascendancy

I kind of hate Chained to the Rocks here since its a 2-card combo by definition, but doubling up the mana to turn it into Valorous Stance feels bad. But I guess it also has double-upside with 2 modes :shrug: Playing it against U/B Control is kind of priceless though since its a pure Drown in Sorrow and Bile Blight deck and you just JAM IT IN anyways. The fun of the deck is the total trolling you do with War Flare and Stoke the Flames.

The black splash that has no apparent purpose in the mainboard is cute, too.

Yeef

Predictions for Dragons:

At first I thought all of the enchantment stuff was just throwing a bone to the casual players to help their Theros decks. Now, I think the Jeskai (or whatever faction replaces it) mechanic in Dragons will have to do with enchantments somehow. Specifically auras.

I think the Sultai mechanic will be something akin to morbid. It'll either care about creatures specifically, going to or being in the graveyard.

Temur is harder to pin down, but I think they'll get either something similar to bloodthirst (bonus if your opponent took damage this turn) or a saboteur ability (bonus if a creature connects with your opponent, like Curiosity or Shaman of the Great Hunt).

Jhriad

I bought my Snappy yesterday since he won't be in MM2. 35 dollars for a stupid card. :/
Next month I'll buy a Jace the Mind Sculptor, not really looking forward to it.

Was there a cutoff for MM2? I bought 4 Snapcasters (one was LP but the rest are NM) and 2 Tamiyos for $60 all said a few days ago. I mentioned that I was just getting back into the game after over a decade away and some college kid that was at the card shop trying to get rid of his collection offered to sell the Snapcasters for $15 each and threw the the two Tamiyo's in as a bonus. For some reason I just figured that Snapcaster was getting reprinted in MM2 and that's why he was willing to let them go at below market value.

Now I wish that I'd had him stick around longer so I could go through his binder for more than a minute. There were two cavern of souls in there that I probably could have gotten cheap.

Angry Grimace

Was there a cutoff for MM2? I bought 4 Snapcasters (one was LP but the rest are NM) and 2 Tamiyos for $60 all said a few days ago. I mentioned that I was just getting back into the game after over a decade away and some college kid that was at the card shop trying to get rid of his collection offered to sell the Snapcasters for $15 each and threw the the two Tamiyo's in as a bonus. For some reason I just figured that Snapcaster was getting reprinted in MM2 and that's why he was willing to let them go at below market value.

Now I'm wishing that I'd had him stick around longer so I could go through his binder for more than a few minutes. There were two cavern of souls in there that I probably could have gotten cheap.

It goes through New Phyrexia. Whoever sold you that got owned though. Snapcaster is $35 a piece.

Jhriad

It goes through New Phyrexia. Whoever sold you that got owned though. Snapcaster is $35 a piece.

He knew the value, even quoted it to me. He was just looking to get cash I guess. He had a Tron deck he was looking to get rid of and a second deck in addition to the binder of cards. Since I'm still newly back to the game I thought I was getting fleeced somehow so I didn't try to look too hard at the rest of his stuff. I just figured that even with a reprint I was probably just paying what would be close to the new price anyways so it was a good grab.

I should have gotten his number. :(

Angry Grimace

He knew the value, even quoted it to me. He was just looking to get cash I guess. He had a Tron deck he was looking to get rid of and a second deck in addition to the binder of cards. Since I'm still newly back to the game I thought I was getting fleeced somehow so I didn't try to look to hard at the rest of his stuff.

:(

Dude must have needed a crack fix because you can sell a set for $120 on eBay no problem.

red13th

Damn I wanted that offer, I bought a Tamiyo too for 16 bucks. She won't be in MM2 too. The other blue card in my cube that won't is Jace TMS, all the other ones I'm missing can potentially be reprinted (Spellskite, Bribery, Clique, Cryptic, Venser and Sower - Clique is the most unlikely of the bunch but you never know).

Angry Grimace

Damn I wanted that offer, I bought a Tamiyo too for 16 bucks. She won't be in MM2 too. The other blue card in my cube that won't is Jace TMS, all the other ones I'm missing can potentially be reprinted (Spellskite, Bribery, Clique, Cryptic, Venser and Sower - Clique is the most unlikely of the bunch but you never know).

I imagine they'd print Vendilion Clique again in MM2.

Although I personally think they could print Vendilion Clique in M16 without any real problems. Its not really that overpowered.

red13th

I imagine they'd print Vendilion Clique again in MM2.

Although I personally think they could print Vendilion Clique in M16 without any real problems. Its not really that overpowered.

I hope they do, but they don't have that many Mythic slots so I can see them skipping ones that were in MM1. Except Tarmogoyf, come on they couldn't NOT reprint Goyf... right? right?

Angry Grimace

:lol

I don't think it's completely impossible to reprint it into Standard, but not without recognizing that it's absurdly powerful and a risk to do so.

They reprinted Thoughtseize and it didn't break anything.

Snapcaster in M16. The joke will be that with all the reprints it is a flashback set in more ways than one.

Flashback being the keyword would be pretty cool since its a very easy to understand mechanic. But we've seen Flashback an awful lot in the last decade plus.

Angry Grimace

On another minutes thought they actually probably won't do that because it plays awkwardly with Delve.

It's interesting rather than awkward, I think.

The funniest thing they could do is make the returning mechanic Flashback, and then reprint Cabal Therapy and Dread Return.

Firemind

Rakshasa's Secret you.

Counter your Rakshasa's Secret.

Counter your counter.

Discard Ugin.

:smugface

I really like how Fate Reforged slowed down the format. Sultai Delve control is amazing now. Whereas with 3x Khans it was arguably the worst clan.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";150493493]Don't get my hopes up for a Dread Return reprint.[/QUOTE]

Dread Return is in the black Commander deck.

Standard? Lol.

It would be pretty sweet if M16 was Time Spiral Part II, just maybe a little lower-key and with no storyline implications.

I don't think it would be quite the same without a flood of old keywords. It would be interesting to see something where they took a mechanic from every block since Time Spiral, with the flavor being a world where the memories of visiting planeswalkers come to life but all jumbled up or something. I'm thinking like this, taking into account that some will only appear on a few cards:

Lorwyn - Evoke
Shadowmoore - Devotion*
Shards of Alara - Cascade
Zendikar - Landfall, Allies
Scars of Mirrodin - Living weapon (assuming they wouldn't want to mix +1/+1 and -1/-1)
Innistrad - Transform
Return to Ravnica - Populate
Theros - Devotion*, Constellation, enchantment creatures

* = Chroma and Devotion are similar enough

Angry Grimace

Guys I'm pretty sure Soulfire Grand Master totally kicks ass based on having demolished everyone with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom