• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socat

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";150583526]Stop playing spells[/QUOTE]

or scoop and go to the next game if you can't play more threats than they have answers for.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
pls explain

Also how do I learn not to tilt when playing against control decks.

Beating control is often a matter of simply avoiding overextension and having a solid sideboard plan for the deck. Without Sphinx's Revelation around, its actually quite a bit easier to just chip away until they die since they rarely vomit 7 life and cards on your end step.

Socat

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
http://www.examiner.com/article/wizards-of-the-coast-removes-ugin-spirit-dragon-from-magic-online-boosters

This is incredibly scummy and I'm very glad they're getting called out on it. I actually can't believe they'd do this, but the MTGO decisionmaking has never really made sense.

I mentioned this when I read the announcement that Ugin wasn't in the "packs" the other day on a different forum. Its probably illegal, really.

But honestly, MTGO charges you the same price for imaginary cards as it does for real ones. They've been about that life for a long time.

MjFrancis

I can't even pretend to be surprised at this point. I have fun with paper MtG, but I'll add this to the long list of reasons I'll never use MTGO. I'd rather try playing via webcam before I tried MTGO.

Angry Grimace

I can't even pretend to be surprised at this point. I have fun with paper MtG, but I'll add this to the long list of reasons I'll never use MTGO. I'd rather try playing via webcam before I tried MTGO.

Its a shitty program but I don't get to play much outside of FNM if I don't use MTGO. Its about 1/2 as fun as real MTG I think.

Its a shitty program but I don't get to play much outside of FNM if I don't use MTGO. Its about 1/2 as fun as real MTG I think.

MTGO is maybe 1/3 as fun as paper Magic. It's a super bummer that I haven't found a playgroup yet after moving back to Texas - I miss spending Saturday afternoon jamming six-man drafts from a random box or cube..

Angry Grimace

Angry Grimace

KTK has allied fetches for the graves of the allied-color dragons.
DTK will have enemy fetches for the graves of the enemy-aligned Khans.

Believe.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they turn out to be in M16, actually. There's nothing tying them to the plane and its not like they're some integral part of the mechanics of the block.

But I do expect at least some kind of rare dual land cycle in Dragons of Tarkir, whether its fetches or possibly man-lands. Enemy manlands would be the most amusing.

Socat

I'm guessing that in DTK there won't be any clans, instead they'll be named by the Dragon Brood, e.g. Silumgar, Kologhan, etc.

Seems like there won't be any humans in the Sultai by DTK though unless this story predates Sarkhan saving Ugin.

I think that this is more along the lines of what will happen, especially after seeing the Disdainful Stroke FNM promo art at http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/february-through-april-fnm-promo-update-2015-01-22

Looks like the dragon is burning the Abzan banner, so I think the clans as we know them will be gone and will be more focused on the dragons themselves.

kirblar

Zendikar's up next- Enemy man-lands work better there. Enemy Scars-lands are the most likely- they're badly needed post-rotation.

I've been sick with the flu ever since sunday of the GP, and man I haven't misplayed like this in forever. Playing creatures into sweepers, missing land drops on modo, trading cards for alters of my commander when I'm a professional illustrator. Shit is all confused.

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";150592511]Lol at Brad Nelson bragging about ripping an alt Ugin[/QUOTE]
#stealthbrag

I didn't think I could hate Brad Nelson even more.

Wichu

Putting together the cards for a few janky Standard decks.

Mono-U Aggro/Devotion
4-Colour Whip
Chromantiflayer
U/G Morph
Bant Manifest

Why play one good deck when you can play five terrible ones? :p

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I pulled a Mox Opal from a Scars Fatpack some time ago and figured I'd either trade it or sell it because I just don't have the money right now to build Modern Affinity/Robots/Whateverthedeckiscallednow, nor a place to play Modern very often. I thought it would be smart to sell/trade it before the likely MM2015 reprint, but I'm now hearing that apparently price might actually go up with a MM2015 reprint, as this happened to most MM1 rares. Should I just hold on to it and wait?

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";150634856]He's one of my top five favorite players :3

I dunno why everybody hates him. Because he's cocky?[/QUOTE]
winning player of the year 2010 thinking he was the hottest shit (better him than matignon i suppose), then followed by zero top 8s in 2011. definition of a one-hit wonder. you only have to look up his top 8s in the following years: all standard.

Bandini

MTGO has always seemed like a collection of odd/poor/shady decisions from Wizards for me. I'll never play it until it gets an overhaul or becomes way cheaper than paper magic.

I remember when I first got into competitive magic I built a budget WU control deck on MTGO for about $30. I didn't go any further with it because Sphinx's Rev was close to $35.

It was something like $20 in paper at that point.

I don't get this either. He brews up some fun and interesting decks and he's usually ahead of the curve.

Lucario

Because he's sexy.

Crocodile

winning player of the year 2010 thinking he was the hottest shit (better him than matignon i suppose), then followed by zero top 8s in 2011. definition of a one-hit wonder. you only have to look up his top 8s in the following years: all standard.

Is that supposed to be some sort of slight? As if accomplishments don't mean anything if they are in the Standard format?

Matriox

Putting together the cards for a few janky Standard decks.

Mono-U Aggro/Devotion
4-Colour Whip
Chromantiflayer
U/G Morph
Bant Manifest

Why play one good deck when you can play five terrible ones? :p

Will you please call it Bantifest?

Someone talk me out of playing this..:
Creatures:18
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Monastery Mentor
4 Siege Rhino
2 Whisperwood Elemental

Spells:18
2 Gods Willing
3 Lightning Strike
4 Raise the Alarm
4 Valorous Stance
3 Stoke the Flames
2 Dictate of Heliod

Lands:24
4 Battlefield Forge
1 Bloodstained Mire
2 Forest
1 Llanowar Wastes
4 Mana Confluence
2 Mountain
3 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
3 Windswept Heath
2 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:15
1 Ajani's Presence
1 Erase
2 Magma Spray
3 Thoughtseize
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Banishing Light
2 Outpost Siege
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
1 Whisperwood Elemental

T2 Rabblemaster or Mentor 4 dayzzzz.....

definition of a one-hit wonder. you only have to look up his top 8s in the following years: all standard.
???

Sneak and Show 1st Brad Nelson Players' Championship 2014-12-20 Roanoke
Sneak and Show 1st Brad Nelson StarCityGames.com Invitational 2013-10-27 Indianapolis
Infect 2nd Brad Nelson StarCityGames.com Legacy Open 2014-09-14 Atlanta
Sneak and Show 5th Brad Nelson StarCityGames.com Legacy Open 2014-11-09 Columbus

Firemind

how is it relevant? last i checked performance on the scg circuit doesn't net you pro points nor does it qualify you for the pro tour.

i guess it does help you get byes at gps by earning planeswalker points :3

how is it relevant? last i checked performance on the scg circuit doesn't net you pro points nor does it qualify you for the pro tour.

What a small way of thinking.

I know SCG has had problems in the past and they're not "the big leagues" but they consistently are running tournaments every weekend that are smooth and varied. They also put WotC to shame in the presentation of these tournaments to the gaming public. For a new player, who can't travel a lot for magic and instead streams tourneys a lot on weekends, the SCG circuit looks better run than the tournaments that net you pro points.

ironmang

300-600+ person tournaments aren't relevant?

Plus if you look at eternal formats, SCG is a hell of a lot more relevant than anything Wizards does.

God, sometimes I hate magic.

3-0jlz7p.png

0-1 drop in an 8-4.

Stomp my opponent game one, mull to death next two games. Dying to reach guys when I have three uncastable removal spells in my hand sucks.

They also put WotC to shame in the presentation of these tournaments to the gaming public. For a new player, who can't travel a lot for magic and instead streams tourneys a lot on weekends, the SCG circuit looks better run than the tournaments that net you pro points.

It's actually almost funny. I can't believe what Wizards puts out, to be honest. ChannelFireball didn't look very good last weekend, either (assuming they were involved with the production).

THIS IS THE BEST DRAFT ARCHETYPE EVER, why have I waited so long?

ohlorddaa12.png

we're all gonna make it brah ;_;

ohlord27vagj.png

Turn two Jeskai Elder, turn three Goblin Slide. Your turn, bro
Act of treason, make a goblin.
Sac your dude killing your dude, make a goblin. Your turn, bro.
I can't believe I even won a game with this shit

ElyrionX

I just realized how sick of a card Valorous Stance is. Going to try splashing white in my UR Tempo Twin to see how it works in the main deck.

sgjackson

Kind of a weird question: I'm thinking about putting together a cube for two-person drafting, and right now I'm leaning toward keeping it mostly pauper since I'm not really interested in spending a ton of money on this. I've done some poking around at different two-person limited formats and I've decided the two that seem best are grid drafting and pancake drafting, so right now I'm thinking about getting a roughly 200-240 card cube together to cater to those two formats and have a little wiggle room. I'd also love it if i could come out of this spending less than 100 dollars.

Right now, based on reading about two-person draft formats and doing some reading about other people who have tried this on other forums, it seems like narrow combo cards are harder to pull off due to randomness, so I'm leaning towards keeping things a little more straightforward. To compensate for lowered complexity I'm sort of thinking about having a heavier multicolor theme. If anyone's put together a cube and has some advice on how to approach this further I'd love to hear it.

Kind of a weird question: I'm thinking about putting together a cube for two-person drafting, and right now I'm leaning toward keeping it mostly pauper since I'm not really interested in spending a ton of money on this. I've done some poking around at different two-person limited formats and I've decided the two that seem best are grid drafting and pancake drafting, so right now I'm thinking about getting a roughly 200-240 card cube together to cater to those two formats and have a little wiggle room. I'd also love it if i could come out of this spending less than 100 dollars.

Right now, based on reading about two-person draft formats and doing some reading about other people who have tried this on other forums, it seems like narrow combo cards are harder to pull off due to randomness, so I'm leaning towards keeping things a little more straightforward. To compensate for lowered complexity I'm sort of thinking about having a heavier multicolor theme. If anyone's put together a cube and has some advice on how to approach this further I'd love to hear it.

I've never tried grid because I'm not a fan of visible picks, but pancake definitely seems very good. I like the part where you trash cards from the boosters to somewhat simulate a more-than-2-people draft, and makes hate drafting way easier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom