• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

Holy shit, 4 Accumulated Knowledge in a precon? Mother of runes? These seem pretty stacked.

EDIT:

Mother of Runes -- $4
Explosive Vegetation -- $1.50
2 Lorescale Coatl -- $4 (2each)
Inkwell Leviathan -- $3
Simic Sky Swallower -- $1.50
Captain of the Watch -- $1

Coatl and Inkwell are probably going to crash after this- Inkwell has been reprinted a bunch of times now (and is really only Vintage playable as a 1-of), and Coatl seems like a casual card with limited avalibility. The monitary value of this deck comes exclusively from the walkers- considering Elspeth is close to $20 right now by herself, makes this worthwhile.

The Kiora deck looks really fun, and the Elspeth deck looks like garbage.

Well, this is probably my last try at modo(again lol). I have a pretty good limited record and was able to chain together a bunch of drafts a few times, but overall it's just an insane money sink and since im never gonna play constructed my winnings dont go anywhere but more drafts. So I sold off my remaining packs to do one more pptq then I'm out. Without cube draft especially I'm just not getting the entertainment value to offset the high prices of everything.

Besides, I've been slacking on grinding standard pptqs because of how convenient modo is.

Wow this sealed pool is dookie. My three best cards are double blue and there's no blue fixing or a base for a blue deck. Also, I have three siegecrafts and zero hard removal or bounce cards. And my only playable two drop in my colors is multicolor. Geez. I have four fight effects in green but my only green fixing is a double splash, and none of my creatures that cost less than six can fight profitably so itd probably be 2-for-1ing myself just to trade down.

Figuring out pools like this is really fun but I'm a little skeptical about my chances lol

More once I'm not on my phone, But holyyyyyyy shit that chromantiflayer deck frank lepore steamed on tcgplayer.com is fun! I went 4-1 tonight and had a blast every round. added 2 monastery sieges to it.

ultron87

Had a real good time playing Temur Aggro tonight. Frost Walker was awesome, and Shaman of the Great Hunt did really well. Really happy with cutting Polukranos for him. I just need to not forget when I have Phoenixes in the graveyard and it'll be all good.

Okay, here's the deck I'm talking about: Chromantiflayer!

The gist of the deck is you use Wayfinders and Caryatid and Sidisi to buy you time to get enough in the yard to effectively delve to Soulflayer. The perfect trifecta you're looking for is Chromanticore, Pharika, and then either Silumgar or a Caryatid. Removal suite built for your local meta. I chose 2 Sultai Charm, 2 Downfall, 2 Murderous Cut because I see a lot of pivotal enchantments still. I also dropped the Torrent Elemental and one of the Downfalls for 2 copies of Monastery Siege. A turn 3 Siege is a game changer. It's pure card advantage and helps to get worrisome cards out of your hand and into your yard. No more stranding Chromanticores in your hand.

But really, I have been able to realistically cast Cores every game. I have bestowed him on Silumgar. I have bestowed him on Tasigur. I have bestowed him on a Flayer that had abilities from Silumgar, Chromanticore, and Pharika. The Flayer literally turns games around. I played against RW aggro and was being buried under tokens and seekers. He got me to 1 and I landed a trifecta Flayer and it literally turned the game around to a win for me. 4 life per turn, blocks for days.

I took down RG Devotion, Abzan Midrage, Jeskai Tokens, Jeskai Control, RW Aggro and lost to Temur Ascendency. That lost was a 1-0-0 round because the guy built the deck right before FNM and didn't know it at all. He was deep in the tank every turn and we ended game 1, where he killed me the turn before he was dead, with 5 min left on clock.

The deck is slow. It's hosed to graveyard hate. It can get sniped by aggro and burn strategies. It's probably not a deck you can regularly navigate to top 8s anywhere. But it is a blast to play. I recommend putting it together and tossing it at an FNM.

(sideboard was into 15 slots of control)

Whee, won modern and standard fnms tonight playing 149/150 of the same cards as last week lol

Swapped torpor orb out of the sideboard of my bogles deck for a zealous persecution.

Cool story though; my buddy and i joked that we were gonna meet up in the finals before the tournament started and we totally did lol

Wichu

Okay, here's the deck I'm talking about: Chromantiflayer!

The gist of the deck is you use Wayfinders and Caryatid and Sidisi to buy you time to get enough in the yard to effectively delve to Soulflayer. The perfect trifecta you're looking for is Chromanticore, Pharika, and then either Silumgar or a Caryatid. Removal suite built for your local meta. I chose 2 Sultai Charm, 2 Downfall, 2 Murderous Cut because I see a lot of pivotal enchantments still. I also dropped the Torrent Elemental and one of the Downfalls for 2 copies of Monastery Siege. A turn 3 Siege is a game changer. It's pure card advantage and helps to get worrisome cards out of your hand and into your yard. No more stranding Chromanticores in your hand.

But really, I have been able to realistically cast Cores every game. I have bestowed him on Silumgar. I have bestowed him on Tasigur. I have bestowed him on a Flayer that had abilities from Silumgar, Chromanticore, and Pharika. The Flayer literally turns games around. I played against RW aggro and was being buried under tokens and seekers. He got me to 1 and I landed a trifecta Flayer and it literally turned the game around to a win for me. 4 life per turn, blocks for days.

I took down RG Devotion, Abzan Midrage, Jeskai Tokens, Jeskai Control, RW Aggro and lost to Temur Ascendency. That lost was a 1-0-0 round because the guy built the deck right before FNM and didn't know it at all. He was deep in the tank every turn and we ended game 1, where he killed me the turn before he was dead, with 5 min left on clock.

The deck is slow. It's hosed to graveyard hate. It can get sniped by aggro and burn strategies. It's probably not a deck you can regularly navigate to top 8s anywhere. But it is a blast to play. I recommend putting it together and tossing it at an FNM.

(sideboard was into 15 slots of control)

I won a game yesterday where I mulliganed down to 5 and got stuck on one land for a few turns by finally managing to bestow Chromanticore when I was on 1 life. The deck is great.

Joe Molotov

Took 2nd last night with Mono Red Goblins. Everyone else was trying to run their Sultai Control / Temur Ascendancy bullshit, I'm just like, nah son Mardu Scout in your face. Foundry Street Denizen says get ya some. We Wild Slashin' errybody up in herr.

Jhriad

Went to my second ever FNM draft (only my fourth draft ever if you count the newbie player ones on Magic Online) last night and went 4-0 to take first place. Here's my draft deck:

Code:
Sandsteppe Citadel
2x Mardu Hateblade
Mardu Woe-Reaper
Archers' Parapet
Ainok Bond-Kin
Debilitating Injury
Savage Punch
Feat of Resistance
Sandblast
Map the Wastes
Abzan Banner
Awaken the Bear
Harsh Sustenance
Alesha's Vanguard
Abzan Kin-Guard
Longshot Squad
Reach of Shadows
Dromoka, the Eternal
Krumar Bond-Kin
Death Frenzy
2x Hooting Mandrills
Channel Harm
See the Unwritten
Duneblast (pick three on the third pack)
Wooly Loxodon

and my sideboard:

Code:
Kin-Tree Warden
Ainok Guide
Ancestral Vengeance
Highland Game
Abzan Advantage
Abzan Banner
Dark Deal
Roar of Challenge
Salt Road Patrol
Tasigur's Cruelty
Abzan Guide
Gurmag Angler
Venerable Lammasu

Since I'm still super green to this whole thing and this is pretty much only the second time I've played Magic seriously I was hoping you guys could give me tips on what I drafted. Should I have put anything in my sideboard into the main deck on construction? Did I have too few or too much of anything? Should I have been looking for anything in particular that I didn't get enough of?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Went to my second ever FNM draft (only my fourth draft ever if you count the newbie player ones on Magic Online) last night and went 4-0 to take first place. Here's my draft deck:

Code:
Sandsteppe Citadel
2x Mardu Hateblade
Mardu Woe-Reaper
Archers' Parapet
Ainok Bond-Kin
Debilitating Injury
Savage Punch
Feat of Resistance
Sandblast
Map the Wastes
Abzan Banner
Awaken the Bear
Harsh Sustenance
Alesha's Vanguard
Abzan Kin-Guard
Longshot Squad
Reach of Shadows
Dromoka, the Eternal
Krumar Bond-Kin
Death Frenzy
2x Hooting Mandrills
Channel Harm
See the Unwritten
Wooly Loxodon

and my sideboard:

Code:
Kin-Tree Warden
Ainok Guide
Ancestral Vengeance
Highland Game
Abzan Advantage
Abzan Banner
Dark Deal
Roar of Challenge
Salt Road Patrol
Tasigur's Cruelty
Abzan Guide
Gurmag Angler
Venerable Lammasu

Since I'm still super green to this whole thing and this is pretty much only the second time I've played Magic seriously I was hoping you guys could give me tips on what I drafted. Should I have put anything in my sideboard into the main deck on construction? Did I have too few or too much of anything? Should I have been looking for anything in particular that I didn't get enough of?

The correct number of Abzan Guides to play is as many as you can get.

Given that I'm in San Francisco today and know your store, I'n gonna have to head down there to verify.
Well I'd be down as prize splitting lol

I dunno why you'd be playing magic on valentine's day, though.

Its not super impressive, modern was six players and standard was only four rounds haha

Edit: you here for the weekend? Im free tomorrow if you actually wanna play somewhere.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What would you have taken out for the Guide or should I just have gone a bit further over 40 as I was already at 42 or 43.
There's never a reason to play more than 40 in my opinion. I probably wouldn't double up on Mandrills and would have played the Guide. But if you won, then you can't have done it all that bad.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";152057144]Well I'd be down as prize splitting lol

I dunno why you'd be playing magic on valentine's day, though.

Its not super impressive, modern was six players and standard was only four rounds haha

Edit: you here for the weekend? Im free tomorrow if you actually wanna play somewhere.[/QUOTE]

I'm not really, I didn't even bring my cards. Here for a friends birthday tomorrow.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";152063033]That's cool, though. Did you fly in? I didnt think you were from California. Anyways, I highly recommend Brenda's on Polk st if you're looking for food.[/QUOTE]

I drove here from San Diego.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";152065175]How about GB's wallet vs Wandering wind's paper collection? How's that battle gonna play out? :)[/QUOTE]

I opened 2 foil seige rhinos in a box and fatpack the other day

I feel stupid for saying this, but I kind of think ponder is better than brainstorm in reanimator. I know I'm wrong, but still. I love the chance to see a fourth card and you never get locked like with brainstorm.
I opened 2 foil seige rhinos in a box and fatpack the other day
Well looks like you're on your way to a popular modern deck lol

Joe Molotov

My LGS is doing free FNMs from now on. It was $5 and we'd have 18-22 show up, last night it was free and we had 34. Top 8 split a box; I'm okay with this.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";152065976]I feel stupid for saying this, but I kind of think ponder is better than brainstorm in reanimator. I know I'm wrong, but still. I love the chance to see a fourth card and you never get locked like with brainstorm.

Well looks like you're on your way to a popular modern deck lol[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my 7 rhinos will go great in my pod deck.

Yeah, I don't see why you'd stop at seven, though. What if your opponent has timely reinforcements? The seventh wouldn't burn them out. Maybe go up to nine or add half a dozen resto angels?

My LGS is doing free FNMs from now on. It was $5 and we'd have 18-22 show up, last night it was free and we had 34. Top 8 split a box; I'm okay with this.
Wow, that's awesome!

Jhriad

There's never a reason to play more than 40 in my opinion. I probably wouldn't double up on Mandrills and would have played the Guide. But if you won, then you can't have done it all that bad.

Guide for a Mandrill makes sense to me. I was a little worried about my creature count so I didn't want to cull too much out of the deck. Since I'm newish I wasn't entirely sure what to cull to take it down to 40. I suppose I could have take out the Abzan Banner as that always felt like a tempo loss whenever it came out and rarely actually produced mana that I needed. Do you think See the Unwritten would have been a good option to take out or something else? I only drew it once and it was a bomb when it hit the next turn but I could see it's cost being prohibitive if you don't have a 4 power creature out. It was a handy play to put two creatures into play, fill the yard, and then delve a Mandrill into play with the cards you just added to the yard though.

ironmang

Hope they're pulling in that money from other sales. $5 is really nothing as far as entertainment on a Friday night... with a good chance to earn it back and more in prizes.

Surprised that there are so many cheapskates though.

y2dvd

Note to self: 2 mountains and 3 Bloodstain Mires doesn't guarantee you draw it for a Mountain to cast Chain to the Rocks. :l

Crocodile

Code:
Sandsteppe Citadel
2x Mardu Hateblade
Mardu Woe-Reaper
Archers' Parapet
Ainok Bond-Kin
Debilitating Injury
Savage Punch
Feat of Resistance
Sandblast
Map the Wastes
Abzan Banner
Awaken the Bear
Harsh Sustenance
Alesha's Vanguard
Abzan Kin-Guard
Longshot Squad
Reach of Shadows
Dromoka, the Eternal
Krumar Bond-Kin
Death Frenzy
2x Hooting Mandrills
Channel Harm
See the Unwritten
Wooly Loxodon

and my sideboard:

Code:
Kin-Tree Warden
Ainok Guide
Ancestral Vengeance
Highland Game
Abzan Advantage
Abzan Banner
Dark Deal
Roar of Challenge
Salt Road Patrol
Tasigur's Cruelty
Abzan Guide
Gurmag Angler
Venerable Lammasu

A) Congrats on your win :)

B) I count 26 non-land cards in your draft deck. From your follow up statements it seems you were running over 40 cards? Running too many cards just means you have a lower chance of drawing your best cards. You want your deck to be as concentrated in awesome as it can be which means you might have to make tough cuts.

C) How many lands were you running? Limited decks want to run a higher percentage of land than Constructed decks since you have less control over the nature of your deck's mana curve. Furthermore, Khans Draft is a format where it is often correct to run more land than normal. As the default in this format, you should run 18 lands and then adjust if you deck requires it.

D) Was Citadel your only mana-fixing land? I don't know exactly how your draft went but its likely you took "playables" (when you were already on track to hit your goal) for your deck when you should have taken mana fixing lands. If you never got color screwed all day consider yourself fortunate.

E) I would cut Abzan Banner, Map the Wastes (though you could make an arguemnt for it staying since you have so few mana fixing lands), Mardu Woe-Reaper, Channel Harm, Alesha's Vanguard, Awaken the Bear and add Abzan Guide & Gurmag Angler. Be prepared to side in Abzan Advantage, Highland Game and/or Roar of the Challenge as needed.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Man, why are 'Byes' a thing? I went to Game Day to play Magic, not to have to wait for the UB Control mirror to end their first game well past the time limit. Yeah sure, 'free wins' and all, but there has to be a better solution to an uneven player count than just having someone not play. Have a reserve player on standby that can jump in if there is an uneven number of players or something. There were five rounds spread out over five hours at my Game Day, yet I feel like I barely actually got to play Magic at all. First round was vs. UB Control, a deck pretty much built around making sure that your opponent just can't play the game, second round was a Bye, third round was over in the blink of an eye due to two turn 3~4 wins by me, and then there was a fifteen minute break. Only in the last two rounds did I really get to play more than just a few turns.

Ah well, I guess I shouldn't complain; at least I (barely) got into the Top 8.

Also, fuck UB Control. ;-;

Luck, Skill, Victory

Edit: I almost forgot about something. How do you guys feel about handshakes? I always thought they were just a way to signal that the match was agreed as over, but I played against this dude that was hyping up his modern burn deck yesterday, and after I beat him it didn't seem like he wanted to shake my hand. I thought he was salty because of the way he acted before the match, but then I remembered a Travis Woo article where he said that the losing player is supposed to extend the hand as a symbol of concession.

Now I feel like I did the wrong thing, and it's a bit awkward.

f0rk

but there has to be a better solution to an uneven player count than just having someone not play. Have a reserve player on standby that can jump in if there is an uneven number of players or something.

This is a really dumb comment lol

Jhriad

B) I count 26 non-land cards in your draft deck. From your follow up statements it seems you were running over 40 cards? Running too many cards just means you have a lower chance of drawing your best cards. You want your deck to be as concentrated in awesome as it can be which means you might have to make tough cuts.

Yeah, I wanted to get down to 40 but I wasn't sure exactly which to cards to cut.

C) How many lands were you running? Limited decks want to run a higher percentage of land than Constructed decks since you have less control over the nature of your deck's mana curve. Furthermore, Khans Draft is a format where it is often correct to run more land than normal. As the default in this format, you should run 18 lands and then adjust if you deck requires it.

D) Was Citadel your only mana-fixing land? I don't know exactly how your draft went but its likely you took "playables" (when you were already on track to hit your goal) for your deck when you should have taken mana fixing lands. If you never got color screwed all day consider yourself fortunate.
Land (17): (This is less land than I thought I had in the deck. For some reason I thought I added two more land at the end of deck construction. Maybe I was considering Banner as another "source" and just left it at that.)
Code:
5x Swamp
6x Forest
5x Plains
Sandsteppe Citadel

I don't remember seeing many of the dual lands in my colors though I'm not sure if that's because there was another Abzan player (who was my final match-up) or because I didn't prioritize them high enough that the early ones were ignored in favor of things I thought at the time were more immediate needs. How highly should I prioritize those if I'm going tricolor or even if I'm going dual color? Is there a certain number that you would aim to get to properly fix tricolor decks? If my viable creature count/removal is low should I still pick one over a potentially playable but not bomby creature or something like decent removal?

I ended up getting mana screwed in three games. Two were my only losses and the third was a somewhat prolonged win where I didn't have any swamps for the first 7 turns. I also had to mulligan down to 5 once while on the draw to make sure I had the necessary lands. I mulled down to 6 another time (maybe twice but I can't remember) because my initial hand had every single swamp in my deck and a few green cards.

E) I would cut Abzan Banner, Map the Wastes (though you could make an arguemnt for it staying since you have so few mana fixing lands), Mardu Woe-Reaper, Channel Harm, Alesha's Vanguard, Awaken the Bear and add Abzan Guide & Gurmag Angler. Be prepared to side in Abzan Advantage, Highland Game and/or Roar of the Challenge as needed.

After playing with them Banner & Awaken the Bear both seem like obvious pulls. I think the only reason I put the banner in there to begin with was because I was so concerned with mana issues due to being over 40. After seeing my land count (which is low) do you think that Map the Wastes should have been pulled? Going in I thought it would be doubly useful to fix my mana and the bolster was a nice bonus that would interact with Ainok Bond-Kin and Longshot Squad.

Mardu Woe-Reaper makes sense. I included him because of some concern that I didn't have any creatures in my three drop slot and I was worried that I might not be hitting the board with a creature as often as I'd like in the early turns. Plus the sheer number of warriors that I had (plus a dashing Alesha's Vanguard) meant some easy life, potentially delaying/worsening an opponents delve, and as a one drop he could trade with a morph. Thinking about it now I'm not sure if I was even considering my morphs when thinking about that creature deficiency at the three slot. Was I overvaluing his ability or maybe making a faulty assumption on how frequently I'd be able to trigger him before he died in an average game?

In what situations are you considering Highland Game as a potential sideboard card and would Mardu Woe-Reaper be considered in that same slot? Or would Highland Game be the preferable card as it's life gain is more consistent even if Woe-Reaper might have a higher theoretical potential and a lower casting cost.

With the removal of the Woe-Reaper taking out Alesha's Vanguard in favor of Gurmag Angler makes sense. The Angler doesn't die to removal like Collateral Damage and can trade with bigger threats. The Vanguard did see a ton of dash use though so I can see the value there as well in case I come across one in a pick in future drafts. Having my opponent tap out to attack thinking that I didn't have anything to attack with or being able to dash in and harass the player with Quiet Contemplation was pretty handy.

Also, fuck Quiet Contemplation. Annoying ass shit.

ultron87

God's Beard!";152088071][URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03HfsnPGtxc&list=PL04lbfeNAaS-Z7guIid0aFxbLkBW-PKfv&index=8 said:
Luck, Skill, Victory[/URL]

Edit: I almost forgot about something. How do you guys feel about handshakes? I always thought they were just a way to signal that the match was agreed as over, but I played against this dude that was hyping up his modern burn deck yesterday, and after I beat him it didn't seem like he wanted to shake my hand. I thought he was salty because of the way he acted before the match, but then I remembered a Travis Woo article where he said that the losing player is supposed to extend the hand as a symbol of concession.

Now I feel like I did the wrong thing, and it's a bit awkward.

I always put out my hand when I lose and say "good games" but I leave it up to the other person when I win. I think some people see it as the winner getting last rub ins if they initiate it. Which is nuts and over sensitive since I think you should be able to shake the hand of a person who enjoys the same game as you, but that's Magic players for you. So if someone will feel better by stewing in their seat after a loss and not reaching across the table I'll let em.

bigkrev

Man, why are 'Byes' a thing? I went to Game Day to play Magic, not to have to wait for the UB Control mirror to end their first game well past the time limit. Yeah sure, 'free wins' and all, but there has to be a better solution to an uneven player count than just having someone not play. Have a reserve player on standby that can jump in if there is an uneven number of players or something. There were five rounds spread out over five hours at my Game Day, yet I feel like I barely actually got to play Magic at all. First round was vs. UB Control, a deck pretty much built around making sure that your opponent just can't play the game, second round was a Bye, third round was over in the blink of an eye due to two turn 3~4 wins by me, and then there was a fifteen minute break. Only in the last two rounds did I really get to play more than just a few turns.

Ah well, I guess I shouldn't complain; at least I (barely) got into the Top 8.

Also, fuck UB Control. ;-;

So every store needs to have a player on call at all times in case there is an uneven playercount? What?

So every store needs to have a player on call at all times in case there is an uneven playercount? What?

Well sure, they can be like Saibamen from DBZ and come in seeds that you plant in the ground, sprouting aggressive players who are about as good at Magic as Radditz.

Yeef

Lost Game Day in the semifinals due to the luckiest Duneblast top deck the turn before I'd win. I had a really good matchup vs. the other finalist too, so the playmat was likely to be mine. Ah, well.

bigkrev

went 1-3 at Gameday with Jeskai Tokens
Won round 1, and would have won round 2 but made a horrific mistake in g3. My abzan opponent had out an Urborg, and I tapped my lands in a way that left Battlefield Forge and Flooded Strand untapped, holding a Disdainful Stroke. Opponent plays Siege Rhino, and I crack the fetch- and forget that I only have 1 Island in my list, and it was in play, tapped for colorless last turn. I subsequently went on tilt the rest of the tournament, including loosing a game against R/G where I totally forgot about the Griptide part of Jeskai Charm and lost because of it.

I forgot that I had leftover phantom points, so I've been doing some Lorwyn Sealed on modo and I just wanted to say that Nettlevine Blight is a super super awesome card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom