• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

Baneslayer has to get a slot, one assumes. Unless it is in Origins to counter all those nasty dragons.

On that note, I do hope there is a dragon in Dragons that is better than Stormbreath. It'd be sad if the best Standard Dragon isn't from DRAGONS of Tarkir. Dragon.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
We do this every FtV. It's going to be 2 good angels, probably alt art foil Resto and then a bunch of bullshit. Remember FtV Annihilation without Damnation? I mean, it's gonna be the first FtV I buy, but that's because I'm a dirty whore. Be better than me bros.

OnPoint

We do this every FtV. It's going to be 2 good angels, probably alt art foil Resto and then a bunch of bullshit. Remember FtV Annihilation without Damnation? I mean, it's gonna be the first FtV I buy, but that's because I'm a dirty whore. Be better than me bros.

Baneslayer will be in it.

Possible Iona or Linvala reprint.

Akroma will be in, in either form.

Other nonsense will be in it.

Just started reading Tom Martell's pick order article and this line jumped out to me:

"The commons in FRF are relatively weak compared to their counterparts in KTK, so you often end pack 1 short on cards you want to play. I like to prioritize taking lands over marginal playables so you can take better commons in packs 2 and 3 over fixing."

Boom. Don't take my word for it.

Buying MORE paper cards?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
On one hand, do want angels, especially with new art and such.

On the other, not looking forward to double MSRP, or more likely, even higher....ugh.

But Iona/Linvala/whatever else they throw in there would make it worth it, especially for commander...

Could also throw some decent but not amazing stuff like Angel of Serenity, etc..but if they put Fury over Wrath, heads are gonna roll.

bigkrev

Akroma well be Red, to get a red card in the box. Sigarda is obvious for the Green card, Black has a few choices (Desolation Angel is my guess), but Blue is the real hard one.

Also, they HAVE to put original art Serra Angel in this. Not optional

kirblar

Akroma well be Red, to get a red card in the box. Sigarda is obvious for the Green card, Black has a few choices (Desolation Angel is my guess), but Blue is the real hard one.

If the WMCQ promo wasn't a thing, Geist could have been a clever inclusion.

OnPoint

Blue could be Illusory Angel, Filigree Angel, um... that's about it.

Desolation Angel is my favorite card of all time. I'd love to see a new version with new art.

I nominate Amoeboid Changeling for the blue angel
there, the joke has been made, nobody needs to make it now

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If the WMCQ promo wasn't a thing, Geist could have been a clever inclusion.

It would make the box way too in demand though.

Red Akroma is gonna be in for color representation. The only mono black angel I know of is Fallen Angel from Legends.

ultron87

Also some pretty sweet new art in Elspeth vs Kiora.

card_AccumulatedKnowledge.png
card_TempleoftheFalseGod.png
card_DecreeofJustice.png

card_MotherofRunes.png
card_Explore.png

I love the retheme of Temple of the False God to Kiora being the false god on Theros. A new Mother of Runes feels slightly sacrilegious, but with Terese Nielsen art I think it is okay.

OnPoint

I love the retheme of Temple of the False God to Kiora being the false god on Theros. A new Mother of Runes feels slightly sacrilegious, but with Terese Nielsen art I think it is okay.

That's interesting from a flavor perspective because aren't the Gods only Gods because people believe in them? So wouldn't Kiora, if people kept believing, become a God?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

card_AccumulatedKnowledge.png
card_TempleoftheFalseGod.png
card_DecreeofJustice.png

card_MotherofRunes.png
card_Explore.png

Mother of Runes + Explore + Temple of the False God = awesome.

What's a fair mana cost for an artifact that says "Tap: Draw a card, then put a card in your hand on top of your library."? I could see arguments for anywhere between 1 and 3 mana.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What's a fair mana cost for an artifact that says "Tap: Draw a card, then put a card in your hand on top of your library."? I could see arguments for anywhere between 1 and 3 mana.

unprintable at any cost.

The effect is comparable to "draw a card, discard a card", and this is what that is costed on an artifact:
Image.ashx

With no activation cost, I think it would be printed at 4 mana or even 5.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well "discard" in Magic means "draw another card for your graveyard hand" so not quite as comparable.

I'm struggling to figure out how you would abuse mini-brainstorm.

Well "discard" in Magic means "draw another card for your graveyard hand" so not quite as comparable.

I'm designing a cube that includes Rebels as an archetype and want a flexible card that works well with Rebels. Also as a bonus works well with fetch lands, Thawing Glaciers, etc.

Haly

If the environment is controlled to that extent you could probably put it at 2-3.

Although I'd really attach another cost to it because otherwise you're just going to wind up with Top-esque "EOT, mildstorm" gameplay, which is kind of repetitive.

If the environment is controlled to that extent you could probably put it at 2-3.

Although I'd really attach another cost to it because otherwise you're just going to wind up with Top-esque "EOT, mildstorm" gameplay, which is kind of repetitive.

Without a shuffle or a Miracle, there's no value to activating this sort of thing every turn.

Haly

Your hands are effectively +1 with this card out.

There is no reason not to peak ahead to see if there's another card you could cast, like an instant, or to gain more information for other EOT plays.

You will also be activating this in response to anything that your deck could feasibly respond to in case you hit an answer. You can even use it to bluff an answer by activating it in response to Thoughtseize/Probe effects.

Metroidvania

It's basically a free card every turn, isn't it? At the very least, you're consistently one card ahead, knowledge-wise. Could also hide stuff in response to being duress'd or the like.

New Mom art looks...kind of weird? It's cool from a Theros perspective, but definitely really different thematically from the first art.

Haly

It's basically a free card every turn, isn't it? At the very least, you're consistently one card ahead, knowledge-wise. Could also hide stuff in response to being duress'd or the like.

Yeah, that's the conclusion I came to. But before I realized this was a cube, I was just thinking of the card in a vacuum and "draw a card, discard a card" often says "draw two cards".

Your hands are effectively +1 with this card out.

There is no reason not to peak ahead to see if there's another card you could cast, like an instant, or to gain more information for other EOT plays.

You will also be activating this in response to anything that your deck could feasibly respond to in case you hit an answer. You can even use it to bluff an answer by activating it in response to Thoughtseize/Probe effects.

I'm not saying it's wouldn't be a valuable card, I just doubt that it would be an auto-activate every EOT.

Haly

But my point is you have every reason to activate it as much as possible. Just activating it alone puts pressure on your opponent because they need to reevaluate their estimation of your hand (or just pretend your hand of 3 is actually a hand of 4). In an environment with 0 mana spells or pitch cards, along with fetchlands and other shuffle effects, this can get really annoying fast.

In the worst case scenario, I imagine this card can be as bad as when people paused on every draw to threaten a Miracle, to the point where the "bluff" lost all meaning.

I think I'll make it 2 mana and see how it performs, with the potential to reduce it to 1 if it doesn't do well. It seems worse than Divining Top to me, which is what makes me think that 1 mana would be okay.

Metroidvania

I'm not saying it's wouldn't be a valuable card, I just doubt that it would be an auto-activate every EOT.

It's not an auto-EoT like Top is, but it's still extra 'permanent' draw/knowledge for free.

Dig for a kill/counter spell, dig for a land if you're starved, dump a land if you're flooded, replace a miracle card to top of the library....not as broken as top by any means, and it won't be an EoT, but it'll come up in response to pretty much any opponent play as a 'think-twice' play.

To be fair, Cube limits its abusiveness moreso than Top, but it's fairly strong.

edit: Beat.

I'm assuming that you would pay a cost per activation? Tapping mana isn't nothing. If it was literally "tap to do this thing," sure, why not do it every turn.

Also, I just realized that we're talking about a worse Scroll Rack.

Wichu

177.jpg

So I've recently obtained a bunch of Hornet Nests to try out in my manifest deck (gotta keep my opponents on edge!), and that got me thinking as to what other shenanigans it can be used for.

The interaction with manifest is all sorts of amusing - after the first time you flip up a Hornet Nest, you can guarantee your opponent is going to get paranoid.

There's the Midnight Guard + Setessan Tactics + Valorous Stance combo for infinite bees, but that's pretty difficult to set up.

On the topic of Setessan Tactics, fight effects could be fun. My Hornet Nest attempts to Savage Punch your Siege Rhino, and explodes into bees.

Gift of Immortality means you can reuse your Nest over and over.

Using Rally the Ancestors to get a bunch of Nests back when your opponent thinks it's safe to attack is awesome.

Alesha can also reanimate it, but tapped and attacking. This is a problem... until you cast Roar of Challenge on it for the wombo combo.

If we're going red, Arcbond could be entertaining. Any sort of damage could potentially mean BEES EVERYWHERE, especially with multiple Hornet Nests on the board.

Anger of the Gods is the only damaging boardwipe in Standard - clearing the board of annoying things while making an army of bees for the attack sounds good.

You now have an excuse to name Dragons on Frontier Siege. Any damage that Hornet Nest takes means a boardwipe for your opponent.

And my favourite new interaction - Channel Harm turns a lethal attack into a lethal army of bees. Cost: six mana. Opponent's reaction: priceless.

Wichu

It wouldn't be a competitive deck, just something to play when I feel like using something silly.

If we expand the card pool to non-Standard cards, there's stuff like Stuffy Doll and Boros Reckoner, and keeping with the insect army theme, Saber Ants.

What are the locks? Avacyn, Akroma, Resto I assume. Either all three of the AVR commanders or none of them. Iona?

I wrote up a wordier version of this elsewhere, but to get the bullet points of my position:

• Twilight Shepherd, basically confirmed by the preview picture.
  • Around five legends. Akroma and one Avacyn are a lock, which means almost certainly no Powerpuff Girls. Linvala will be in MM2 so won't be here; Iona's the next best mono-white-option. They'll want some of them to be multicolor, which means some subset of Jenara, Aurelia, Basandra, and Tariel.
  • Two non-creature Angel cards. The best bets are Angelic Destiny, Sigil of the Empty Throne, Entreat the Angels, Decree of Justice, Moonsilver Spear, and Luminarch Ascension. Decree of Justice just got new art in the latest Duel Deck so my guess is Angelic Destiny and Entreat the Angels.
  • Serra Angel's a lock just like Shivan was a lock in FTV: Dragons. Baneslayer's close to a lock as one of the best tournament angel cards and one with great art.
  • Probably check a few boxes like artifact (Platinum Angel), cheap angel (Serra Avenger or Illusionary Angel), non-legendary multicolor (Angel of Despair, Firemane Angel, Lightning Angel -- or Maelstrom Archangel to cover all five colors.)
  • Then it's just picking from the list of top tournament angels (Exalted Angel, Restoration Angel), general-purpose all-stars (Emeria Angel, Sublime Archangel, Archangel of Thune), popular casual choices (Adarkar Valkyrie, Angel of Serenity) and other random stuff (Desolation Angel, Sunblast Angel, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom