• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
I flew too close to the sun guys :-(

livingthedream68l1t.png

The one game I drew the hivelord my opponent got me with a black cat killing my forest :-(

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I was at an FNM when someone drafted a sliver deck once, and holy shit. Watching someone play a Sliver Overlord almost every game on turn 5, or at the worst 6, is like seeing a unicorn making sexy times with another unicorn.

God, I'm like the king of 2-1 in phantom sealed right now -_-

Lorwyn, Theros, M15... If I can't win, someone put me out of my misery. I wanna use up all my points! Watch, I'll finally use up my points then they bring back cube next week or something.

y2dvd

Went 6-2 with Mardu, losing to Jeskai Tempo. Mardu did really well. The painlands ultimately killed me in what was pretty much a burn deck.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";152142974]God, I'm like the king of 2-1 in phantom sealed right now -_-

Lorwyn, Theros, M15... If I can't win, someone put me out of my misery. I wanna use up all my points! Watch, I'll finally use up my points then they bring back cube next week or something.[/QUOTE]

The next cube will be between the paper and online DTK prereleases.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
This is a really dumb comment lol
So every store needs to have a player on call at all times in case there is an uneven playercount? What?
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";152110562]Face the Hydra[/QUOTE]
No, I didn't mean it that way. ;-;

I said that because every time I've been to that specific store, they've had one or two non-judge employees hanging around in the play area picking up games with people in between rounds without them actually participating in the event. I wouldn't have minded one of them joining the actual event to prevent Byes in the case of an uneven playercount.

I wasn't trying to imply that stores should literally have a list of players to call. The point of that comment was that in my specific case, at that specific store, Byes could have been prevented by having a non-judge employee that was already there playing Magic anyway join the event.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";152142974]God, I'm like the king of 2-1 in phantom sealed right now -_-

Lorwyn, Theros, M15... If I can't win, someone put me out of my misery. I wanna use up all my points! Watch, I'll finally use up my points then they bring back cube next week or something.[/QUOTE]

It will come back fairly soon - they sometimes let you use phantom points on regular prerelease sealed too. You shouldn't have just dumped your points.

trumangc

Neo Member
I've been playing some standard on MTGO these last couple days and I'm always surprised when people in the Tournament Practice room concede to turn one Mountain, Akroan Crusader/Monastery Swiftspear/Satyr Hoplite. I understand that some don't enjoy playing against Mono Red, but it's not like you can just choose to ignore an entire, established part of the meta when you go to a competitive event.

I've been playing some standard on MTGO these last couple days and I'm always surprised when people in the Tournament Practice room concede to turn one Mountain, Akroan Crusader/Monastery Swiftspear/Satyr Hoplite. I understand that some don't enjoy playing against Mono Red, but it's not like you can just choose to ignore an entire, established part of the meta when you go to a competitive event.

Right or wrong, they probably just don't feel like they're learning anything from playing the matchup again.

Well, I caved. Another 2-1 lol, this time with a sweet Nissa Worldwaker/Cone of Flame Temur deck.

Wound up losing in the finals to an incredible error of wiping my opponent's board with cone of flame instead of dealing three to my hornet nest. Of course, my opponent follows up with chunky fliers.

trumangc

Neo Member
Right or wrong, they probably just don't feel like they're learning anything from playing the matchup again.

Sure, I just feel like you would have to be dangerously presumptuous to think there is nothing to be learned by playing against a deck you saw two cards from, especially considering how many variations of Mono Red there are and how this standard is like three weeks old in paper and two online.

My Llorwyn phantom sealed pool has two Cloudgoat Rangers and a Mirror Entity. disgunbegood.gif

Actually, the pool isn't really that good, since none of the colors are deep enough to let me play two colors. I have to splash a third with no fixing to make 22 playables - fortunately, the power level of my deck has been high enough to win the first round. Hopefully I don't lose to my mana in the next rounds.

My Llorwyn phantom sealed pool has two Cloudgoat Rangers and a Mirror Entity. disgunbegood.gif

Actually, the pool isn't really that good, since none of the colors are deep enough to let me play two colors. I have to splash a third with no fixing to make 22 playables - fortunately, the power level of my deck has been high enough to win the first round. Hopefully I don't lose to my mana in the next rounds.

My first round opponent in Lorwyn had Chandra and Mulldrifter :|

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";152193089]My first round opponent in Lorwyn had Chandra and Mulldrifter :|[/QUOTE]

My round two opponent was all-in on the Drowner of Secrets plan, with regenerators to clog up the ground. Eventually he milled my Mirror Entity, which I got back with Warren Pilferers and won the next turn. :) Game two didn't go much better for him.

In the finals, my opponent had a ridiculous four-color Elf deck with a couple of vivids that never seemed to get mana screwed. We went to three games; in the end, somehow he managed to have four colors of mana on the battlefield and I couldn't find a single white source. Oh well.

EDIT: The deck in question. Like I said - not super good. I guess I could have just not played white, but I'm pretty sure it was right to take a bit of a risk on the mana to play the rangers and the entity.

jMZjxAN.png

Wichu

I played a Chromantiflayer mirror match in Game Day earlier today.

You can keep your 4/5s bouncing off each other - 8/8 hasty flying first strike lifelinkers trading blows is infinitely more awesome.

I won 2-0. Chromanticore bestowed on Chromantiflayer > Chromantiflayer pumped by Xenagod.

I'm so glad that the Timmiest card in Standard is actually seeing play. That Chromantiflayer deck is actually super sweet.

Frontier Siege to ramp into Bearer of the Heavens with Ashcloud Phoenix/Whisperwood Elemental on the board. Use the second main phase trigger of Frontier Siege to cast Life's Legacy, sacrificing Bearer of the Heavens.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";152226221]?[/QUOTE]

UR Tempo. The deck was sorely lacking in bombs too. The top 8 draft is 100% worth watching - it's a white-knuckle ride (no exaggerations here - all three matches were crazy).

He managed to beat two better decks (Mardu w/Zurgo and Temur with Big Knucks and Sarkhan) before losing in game three of the finals.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Against all logic and reason, this G/R aggro deck actually works half the time, and might actually be decent eventually depending on what's in Dragon's of Tarkir and Magic Origins.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

UR Tempo. The deck was sorely lacking in bombs too. The top 8 draft is 100% worth watching - it's a white-knuckle ride (no exaggerations here - all three matches were crazy).

He managed to beat two better decks (Mardu w/Zurgo and Temur with Big Knucks and Sarkhan) before losing in game three of the finals.

If he's playing UR Tempo and his opponents weren't, they weren't better decks.

Yeef

Won Game Day with my Sultai build. Most of the time I don't care enough if I win or lose, because the mats don't interest me. This mat is a good one though (the other one that I really liked was the M15 one, but I didn't get that one).

There was also a guy running 5-color chromantiflayer. It seemed like he always got his deck to go off during non-tournament games, but during every match in the tournament he just couldn't get there.

Joe Molotov

After coming in 2nd at FNM, I took down Game Day this afternoon with Mono Red Goblins. Now I wish the play mat had been this

NdpkxKG.jpg

I had 2x Purphoros in my sideboard friday night, but I mainboarded him today because Hordeling Outburst for 6 damage is awesome.

Won Game Day with my Sultai build. Most of the time I don't care enough if I win or lose, because the mats don't interest me. This mat is a good one though (the other one that I really liked was the M15 one, but I didn't get that one).

There was also a guy running 5-color chromantiflayer. It seemed like he always got his deck to go off during non-tournament games, but during every match in the tournament he just couldn't get there.
Im the opposite. I only cared about the mat so once I got one for M15 I stopped going to game days lol

Besides, the m15 one has the cleanest art out of all the ones I've seen so I'm happy with it.

ultron87

It turns out nine person Game Days that were expecting more people are good EV. We split top 4 for 12 packs each and played for the mat which I won! This is a mat I am more likely to use than the M14 boob armor Chandra one that was the last one of these I got.

Yay smashy Temur deck. I'm totally sold on the Frost Walker and Phoenix build.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I bought a playmat and have literally never used it. I won one on gameday a couple years ago and gave it to some kid. It had one one of those sexy angels on it and I figured he probably could put the mat to better use than me.

Yeah, I dont get the obsession with playmats. You only need one.

Anyway, finally broke out of the hell of 2-1s and won an 8-4. I was sad to drop my first pick of Monastery Siege but it became apparent when I wheeled a second noxious dragon that at least bw tokens if not abzan was open. Wound up getting passed some absurd abzan cards and rolled with it for the win. Lightforming an ivorytusk fortress and the classic armament corps + abzan guide combo just rolled me through.

I probably should have lost the second round though. My opponent and i were topdecking, and he had a summit prowler with multiple pump spells and temur battle rage in hand for lethal, but he decided to play around removal and tap out for atarka at 4 life. I drew feat of resistance for the turn and swung in with my sultai scavenger.

0-1 in the 64-man when I had a clear path to victory.

I flinched and blocked with a riverwheel when I was tapped out with valorous stance in hand :-(

burntoutznk4w.png

God, why am I so bad lately. I can read the draft well every time, but I keep fucking up at crucial turns in the actual match. Maybe I'm burnt out from playing like 15 drafts this week.

ironmang

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";152258882]Yeah, I dont get the obsession with playmats. You only need one.[/QUOTE]

Ya I really should start selling playmats soon as I get back from events. I have a drawer full of these things from gamedays and GPs the last few years.

Ok, so here's the situation:

My board is Riverwheel Aerialists + Wooly Loxodon(hard cast). I'm at 7 life, tapped out with a full grip including valorous stance to protect my Riverwheel next turn, but no other flying creatures or kill spells.

My opponent's board is Efreet Weaponmaster plus Lotus Path Djinn at 21 life, 6 lands untapped with three cards in hand. He moves to attack with just the Djinn.

Knowing the following:
  • Opponent has shown us multiple burn spells and pump spells in previous games
  • Opponent has shown to be willing to bluff attack to get us in burn range
  • We passed several premium burn spells(including double wild slash and an arrow storm) during the draft and our opponent is a red-heavy jeskai deck.
  • Once we stabilize with the chunky creatures, the opponent has shown basically no way to break through and stage a comeback in previous games.
  • Opponent uncharacteristically tanked for about half a minute before attacking.

Do you block? If you don't, you could be dead to double pump or a burn spell. If he has sand blast or bathe in dragonfire, it's way better to let them through and block next turn with Valorous Stance to kill the Djinn after the prowess triggers.

ElyrionX

This weekend I realized how degenerate Mind Over Matter is in Azami. You get to play your whole deck and if you build up a sizable hand with cards like Consecrated Sphinx or Thought Reflection, you get to soft lock the entire table. It's absolutely ridiculous.

GB: What are your other cards? When you say "full grip," are you talking 7 cards? How many lands/creatures?

Your opponent is on Temur - you're on seven, so you die to a lot of things here if you don't block. On the flip side, you lose your "dragon" if you block and he has anything.

Here's the thing. Even if you don't block and don't die to the attack, are you really in that good of a position? Even if you just go to five, you're now dead to Arrow Storm. You can't even start attacking with the Aerialists realistically (unless you just hope he decides to play into removal, but attacking would be a pretty clear tell).

I think the decision is very close. I think the tipping point is your estimation of the amount of burn in his deck. How many copies of Arrow Storm, Master the Way, Arc Lightning, etc have you seen? If you think his deck has a realistic chance of burning you from 5 and below, I think you have to block and hope. It's not like you're presenting a super fast clock - he's got time to draw relevant things.

Either way - you're a underdog and taking a big risk. It's possible that it's 50/50.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";152264360]0-1 in the 64-man when I had a clear path to victory.

I flinched and blocked with a riverwheel when I was tapped out with valorous stance in hand :-(

burntoutznk4w.png

God, why am I so bad lately. I can read the draft well every time, but I keep fucking up at crucial turns in the actual match. Maybe I'm burnt out from playing like 15 drafts this week.[/QUOTE]

Don't draft 5 color monstrosities

Matriox

This weekend I realized how degenerate Mind Over Matter is in Azami. You get to play your whole deck and if you build up a sizable hand with cards like Consecrated Sphinx or Thought Reflection, you get to soft lock the entire table. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Throw in Laboratory Maniac for the wins :)

Already did! But I don't like winning this way though.

Think of it this way - if you combo off and win the game, everybody gets to start the next game and play another!

Personally, I think most EDH decks should have a combo that "just wins" in there somewhere - like Strionic Resonator in Brago, Ashnod's Altar/Reito Lantern in Grenzo, Deadeye Navigator in every blue deck, etc. Not every game should be a super grindy affair and players should be held accountable to be playing answers. I can completely understand not wanting to play a dedicated combo deck, but it's fine (and good) to have that in your deck as a happy accident waiting to happen to break open a stalled game.

ElyrionX

Think of it this way - if you combo off and win the game, everybody gets to start the next game and play another!

Personally, I think most EDH decks should have a combo that "just wins" in there somewhere - like Strionic Resonator in Brago, Ashnod's Altar/Reito Lantern in Grenzo, Deadeye Navigator in every blue deck, etc. Not every game should be a super grindy affair and players should be held accountable to be playing answers. I can completely understand not wanting to play a dedicated combo deck, but it's fine (and good) to have that in your deck as a happy accident waiting to happen to break open a stalled game.

Agreed. That's actually why I have combo pieces (like Lab Maniac) in my deck!

The problem is, as long as the game goes beyond turn seven or eight, my Azami deck achieves a lot of inevitability as I found out this weekend with my hand size of 40 cards and Azami and Mind over Matter on board. People tried to stop me but I countered their stuff non-stop (using Azami to tutor counters and using MoM to untap my lands to cast those counters). The only thing that could stop me was a Krosan Grip on MoM. I actually felt bad about it because I know nobody likes playing against a deck that controls too much and yet I love playing the damn deck. Going to have to ration my use of the deck a bit so that my group doesn't get tired of seeing it. Luckily, I still have my Animar and Avaycn decks to rotate into.

Don't draft 5 color monstrosities
Uhh, did you see my insane mana fixing? I didnt have a problem with mana at all. And my overall card quality was insane because nobody was taking multicolor cards. I do think I should have started another card over the ascendancy, though.

Anyway, I don't intentionally draft 5c, i just stay open and once I see multiple trilands and other odd passes I go for it. Taking offcolor lands over medium picks at the end of pack one helps a lot

My philosophy for FRF is kind of like this:
  • There is fewer mana fixing than in KTK
  • Rares are stronger, but commons are weaker than in KTK
  • This means more people first pick bombs and try to stick by them.
  • This means more two color aggressive decks, and more multicolor gets passed.

So what happens is, lands go a lot later than they used to despite there being less of them, and the tricolor cards go late in packs two and three. And since the 7th-15th pack one picks are so bad you generally hope to not start them anyway, you can easily take speculative lands. So 5c is often more open than in triple KTK, and the power of your deck can get crazy.

In my case, double sultai charm is nuts. It's definitely improved to the best charm with FRF in the mix.

GB: What are your other cards? When you say "full grip," are you talking 7 cards? How many lands/creatures?

Your opponent is on Temur - you're on seven, so you die to a lot of things here if you don't block. On the flip side, you lose your "dragon" if you block and he has anything.

Here's the thing. Even if you don't block and don't die to the attack, are you really in that good of a position? Even if you just go to five, you're now dead to Arrow Storm. You can't even start attacking with the Aerialists realistically (unless you just hope he decides to play into removal, but attacking would be a pretty clear tell).

I think the decision is very close. I think the tipping point is your estimation of the amount of burn in his deck. How many copies of Arrow Storm, Master the Way, Arc Lightning, etc have you seen? If you think his deck has a realistic chance of burning you from 5 and below, I think you have to block and hope. It's not like you're presenting a super fast clock - he's got time to draw relevant things.

Either way - you're a underdog and taking a big risk. It's possible that it's 50/50.
Two lands, couple ground creatures valorous stance treasure cruise i think. The tiebreaker for me was that if it was pump its bad either way, but I would at least buy up to two draw steps from not dying immediately and I had a couple other fliers to draw into.

The only burn he actually showed me was relatively small, but he showed me the ability to deal 2-3 to the face several times in game 1 and 2. Master the way, mardu heart piercer. So it was super high risk not blocking and him having a pump spell plus basically any burn.

But the main thing making it hard was that he hadn't shown me any spell that could straight up kill anything on my top end, he always had to two for one himself or use tricks. Riverwheel was a massive wall the first two games and bought me a ton of turns.

And riverwheel actually is a huge clock. Once i stabilized in game two i killed him from 22 to 0 in two attacks from three creatures.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";152303813]Are there even that many good angels? Restoration Angel, Baneslayer, Sigarda... Entreat the Angels?[/QUOTE]

Baneslayer and Entreat are probably in. I doubt they would include Sigarda and not the other two, but that would be five slots from AVR alone right there. But then...maybe that's kind of the point

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";152291660]And riverwheel actually is a huge clock. Once i stabilized in game two i killed him from 22 to 0 in two attacks from three creatures.[/QUOTE]

Considering how low you were, it didn't seem clear to me that you could safely attack with anything other than Riverwheel, which is at least 4 turns.

In the end, I think you were correct to block. I think you just ran into one of those situations where you fell behind and couldn't quite stabilize.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";152303813]Are there even that many good angels? Restoration Angel, Baneslayer, Sigarda... Entreat the Angels?[/QUOTE]

Angel of Despair. Avacyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom