• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Cmon guys

LIGHTNING ANGEL

Most iconic angel next to Serra Angel. Baneslayer and Resto can suck it. At some point Lightning Angel was played as a four-of in the old Extended. By Jon Finkel no less. Yes, in a format with the original duals and 'degenerate' combos like Illusions Donate and Oath of Druids. They pale in comparison to current Legacy combos, but they were a big deal back then. And let's not forget she was played as a four-of in a number of decks the times she was legal in Standard and Block Constructed. Twice.

So, yes, Lightning Angel is a shoe-in. I will eat my proverbial hat if she isn't in it. Hopefully with new artwork this time. Sorry, rk post.

Avenging Angel was my very first Tempest rare. Art was pretty sweet

219.jpg

I remember trading for a Selenia, too...

345.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I wrote up a wordier version of this elsewhere, but to get the bullet points of my position:

• Twilight Shepherd, basically confirmed by the preview picture.
  • Around five legends. Akroma and one Avacyn are a lock, which means almost certainly no Powerpuff Girls. Linvala will be in MM2 so won't be here; Iona's the next best mono-white-option. They'll want some of them to be multicolor, which means some subset of Jenara, Aurelia, Basandra, and Tariel.
  • Two non-creature Angel cards. The best bets are Angelic Destiny, Sigil of the Empty Throne, Entreat the Angels, Decree of Justice, Moonsilver Spear, and Luminarch Ascension. Decree of Justice just got new art in the latest Duel Deck so my guess is Angelic Destiny and Entreat the Angels.
  • Serra Angel's a lock just like Shivan was a lock in FTV: Dragons. Baneslayer's close to a lock as one of the best tournament angel cards and one with great art.
  • Probably check a few boxes like artifact (Platinum Angel), cheap angel (Serra Avenger or Illusionary Angel), non-legendary multicolor (Angel of Despair, Firemane Angel, Lightning Angel -- or Maelstrom Archangel to cover all five colors.)
  • Then it's just picking from the list of top tournament angels (Exalted Angel, Restoration Angel), general-purpose all-stars (Emeria Angel, Sublime Archangel, Archangel of Thune), popular casual choices (Adarkar Valkyrie, Angel of Serenity) and other random stuff (Desolation Angel, Sunblast Angel, etc.)

I think they're gonna have Sigarda if only because there are no green cards otherwise. Same reason I expect Red Akroma. Bant Angels are barely any particular color.

I think they're gonna have Sigarda if only because there are no green cards otherwise. Same reason I expect Red Akroma. Bant Angels are barely any particular color.

They don't need to hit every color with anything more than a multicolor card. FTV: Dragons is the example here -- it's only got white in the form of Rith, the Awakener. Jenara or Empyrial Archangel would cover it just fine.

Anyway, it's possible they might do Sigarda and then use the more recent Avacyn for her slot, but there's zero chance they do red Akroma.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

Eh, there's other options that factor in red. Razia or Aurelia overlap red, and spreads out the selection (moreso Razia, though I'm not sure how popular she was back in OG Ravnica), though as has been said, they probably don't wanna overbook on Legends, and there's other boros options.

I wonder if they would throw in Tariel or Basandra, given how limited their exposure is, relatively.

OnPoint

They don't need to hit every color with anything more than a multicolor card. FTV: Dragons is the example here -- it's only got white in the form of Rith, the Awakener. Jenara or Empyrial Archangel would cover it just fine.

Anyway, it's possible they might do Sigarda and then use the more recent Avacyn for her slot, but there's zero chance they do red Akroma.

What a shame that would be. She's so awful in comparison. Just throw in the good one.

They won't

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't know why MTGO players always disagree with me when I tell them Ashiok is shitty against Ascendancy Tokens. The deck only has like 8 creatures.

Some dude just tried to convince me Ashiok is then good for decking. Ashiok was not good for decking and that player lost.

Joe Molotov

I don't know why MTGO players always disagree with me when I tell them Ashiok is shitty against Ascendancy Tokens. The deck only has like 8 creatures.

Some dude just tried to convince me Ashiok is then good for decking. Ashiok was not good for decking and that player lost.

Did he miss dropping a turn 2 Grindclock?

http://www.channelfireball.com/home/leave-modern-alone/

At this point, the best thing about Modern is how angry people get about it.

Honestly, I'm surprised CFB's content editor let this article through. I think Matt has some interesting points, but unless CFB just wanted to stir up a shitstorm among their own content providers to create some drama and drive clicks, there was no reason to publish Matt's article as is. He needs to go back to the tank and clean up a lot of what he's trying to say before the article makes sense.

For the record, I don't like PV's perspective, and I don't like Matt's either. I think PV is foolish to think that you can fix the matchup lottery "problem" in a format that has a card pool as large as Modern's, and I think Matt's evaluation of problem cards in the format is ridiculously off-point.

Socat

http://www.channelfireball.com/home/leave-modern-alone/

At this point, the best thing about Modern is how angry people get about it.

Honestly, I'm surprised CFB's content editor let this article through. I think Matt has some interesting points, but unless CFB just wanted to stir up a shitstorm among their own content providers to create some drama and drive clicks, there was no reason to publish Matt's article as is. He needs to go back to the tank and clean up a lot of what he's trying to say before the article makes sense.

For the record, I don't like PV's perspective, and I don't like Matt's either. I think PV is foolish to think that you can fix the matchup lottery "problem" in a format that has a card pool as large as Modern's, and I think Matt's evaluation of problem cards in the format is ridiculously off-point.

But it drives the discussion forward, as poor as it may be. It is an issue that needs to be addressed, and the more eyes we have on the issue , the sooner we might hit upon a way forward.

kirblar

The issue with the Modern complaints coming from some particular pros is that the format inherently works against what they're good at (i.e. breaking open virgin formats), and so they will always be unhappy with it being a PT format. I would argue its a very GOOD thing that the format isn't necessarily showcasing those same skills- it leads to a different set of players/skills being displayed. Lee Shi Tian has nade 3/4 T8s in the Modern format and is a near-lock for a HOF induction now. The format is clearly winnable- you just have to approach it differently. This is what I think Matt's getting ticked off about, as per his broadside against PV in the comments.

That having been said, the format DOES have issues, and Ari's article did a very good job going into the issues the format currently has. They're just going to be rough to solve.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The only thing that needs to be "solved" is the cost to entry. People are bitching about a brand new top dog about 5 minutes after the other two were just banned. Magic players are the literal worst.

The issue with the Modern complaints coming from some particular pros is that the format inherently works against what they're good at (i.e. breaking open virgin formats), and so they will always be unhappy with it being a PT format. I would argue its a very GOOD thing that the format isn't necessarily showcasing those same skills- it leads to a different set of players/skills being displayed. Lee Shi Tian has nade 3/4 T8s in the Modern format and is a near-lock for a HOF induction now. The format is clearly winnable- you just have to approach it differently. This is what I think Matt's getting ticked off about, as per his broadside against PV in the comments.

That having been said, the format DOES have issues, and Ari's article did a very good job going into the issues the format currently has. They're just going to be rough to solve.

Unfortunately, I can't read Ari's article since it's behind SCG's paywall. :/

To your point, that's why I'm sad that they don't do Block PTs anymore. How fitting was it that Chapin's win came in Block, the format that plays to his strengths more than anything else? I suppose the new block structure doesn't play well to Block actually being a real format, but that's a separate issue.

To your point, that's why I'm sad that they don't do Block PTs anymore. How fitting was it that Chapin's win came in Block, the format that plays to his strengths more than anything else? I suppose the new block structure doesn't play well to Block actually being a real format, but that's a separate issue.

But if you pay SCG you can also learn about the proper investments with Tiny Leaders cards!

Firemind

Magic players are the literal worst.
Speaking of, here's my draft list for a Nekusar EDH deck.

Creatures
Drift of phantasms
Simian spirit guide
Phyrexian metamorph
Psychosis crawler
Sire of insanity

Planeswalkers
Tezzeret the seeker
Dack fayden
Nicol bolas

Artifacts
Mox diamond
Chrome mox
Mox opal
Lotus petal
Mana crypt
Sol ring
Mana vault
Library of leng
Grim monolith
3x signet
2x talisman
Felwar stone
Howling Mine
Helm of Awakening
Scroll rack
Anvil of bogardan
Coalition relic
Darksteel ingot
Temple bell
Sculpting steel
geth's grimoires
Thran dynamo
Teferi's puzzlebox
Memory jar
Gilded lotus
Stone calendar

Spells
Time spiral
Time reversal
Windfall
Whispering madness
Wheel of fortune
Reforge the soul
Molten psyche
Brainstorm
Ponder
Quicken
Dark ritual
Cabal ritual
Seething song
Yawgmoth's will
Demonic tutor
Cruel tutor
Vampiric tutor
Diabolical Tutor
Mystical tutor
Personal tutor
Prosperity
Fact or fiction
Thirst for knowledge
Compulsive research
Dig through time
Force of will
Arcane denial
Damnation
Blasphemous act
Cyclonic rift

Enchantments
Waste not
Mind over matter
Mana flare
Dream halls
Spiteful visions
Underworld dreams
Necropotence
Propaganda
Arcane melee

Lands
Underground sea
Volcanic island
Badlands
Watery grave
Blood crypt
Steam vents
Polluted delta
Bloodstained mire
Scalding tarn
Underground river
Sulfurous springs
Shivan reef
Drowned catacombs
Dragonskull summit
Sulfur falls
River of tears
Sunken ruins
Graven cairns
Cascade bluffs
Temple of deceit
Temple of malice
Temple of epiphany
Crumbling necropolis
Command tower
Tolaria west
Glacial chasm
Maze of ith
Spinerock knoll
Urborg, tomb of yawgmoth
Temple of the false god
Ancient tomb
City of traitors
Lake of the dead
Cavern of souls
2 swamp
1 island
1 mountain
Just need to cut 15 cards. :(

Also, holy fuck, Imperial Seal and Grim Tutor are worth mad moneys.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I mean, I don't pay attention to Legacy, but my impression is that it has the same issues with combo decks and mirrors, with the mirrors just generally being control instead of midrange. Is that accurate?

I mean, I don't pay attention to Legacy, but my impression is that it has the same issues with combo decks and mirrors, with the mirrors just generally being control instead of midrange. Is that accurate?

But Legacy has force of will and like 50 billion viable decks. And legacy has midrange in the form of stoneblade decks.

kirblar

Yeah, they knew the new block structure was coming, hence the drop.

Control decks aren't a thing in Legacy either. If people are complaining that "Control isn't viable", they're idiot whiners who don't understand why eternal formats make Control a very difficult thing to pilot.

Control decks aren't a thing in Legacy either. If people are complaining that "Control isn't viable", they're idiot whiners who don't understand why eternal formats make Control a very difficult thing to pilot.

How do you classify Miracles? I've always thought of that as the closest thing Legacy has to a Control deck, although it's certainly not the classic draw-go style.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";152593421]But Legacy has force of will and like 50 billion viable decks. And legacy has midrange in the form of stoneblade decks.[/QUOTE]

So, again as someone pretty ignorant about this, why would the current dominant Abzan decks be less dominant Legacy, even if they were outfitted with more powerful counterparts of cards they currently have? Is Legacy too fast? Is Force of Will really that much of a check, and if so how are the other 50 million decks viable?

kirblar

Miracles is control. It just only exists because of those cards. People don't understand that the "police" role is also played by the blue tempo decks, not just "control."

Firemind

So, again as someone pretty ignorant about this, why would the current dominant Abzan decks be less dominant Legacy, even if they were outfitted with more powerful counterparts of cards they currently have?
Because Abzan can't play Force of Will.

Is Legacy too fast?
It can be.

Is Force of Will really that much of a check, and if so how are the other 50 million decks viable?
The nice thing about Force of Will is that it's not a good card in a lot of matchups, for example the mirror and hyper aggressive decks. You really don't want to pay 1 life and a card to counter a Lava Spike or a Delver of Secrets.

So, again as someone pretty ignorant about this, why would the current dominant Abzan decks be less dominant Legacy, even if they were outfitted with more powerful counterparts of cards they currently have? Is Legacy too fast? Is Force of Will really that much of a check, and if so how are the other 50 million decks viable?

Legacy is all about mana cost. Basically anything that costs you more than two has to net you some massive advantage. The problem with modern Junk in Legacy is that it doesn't really have any real strengths or insane win conditions that would push you into that particular color combo. I guess you could be a stoneblade deck with abrupt decays and deathrite shaman, but that doesn't seem super impressive. Especially since you don't get True-name Nemesis for your equipment.

The most similar deck is Jund, which is like the old modern jund lists. DRS, etc. But you get punishing fire, hymn to tourach, sylvan library etc. White's probably just not enough better than red in that style of deck in legacy.

There's also Shardless BUG which is your main Abrupt Decay/Liliana deck, but it uses blue for force of will, shardless agent and Jace.

G.ZZZ

The problem of such an Abzan deck in legacy is that it does little to nothing in the first turns, and neither has a particularly strong long game.
Abzan vs Elves! is probably close to a bye for Elves!
Abzan has also no long game against the classic legacy midrange decks which often runs Sylvan + lifegain engines, Kotr+punishing fires engines, SFM+ Batterskull+swords, not to talk about something like Miracle which would absolutely slaughter Abzan in a sea of permission and instant 1 mana wraths + EoT army of 4/4 flyers and counterbalance lock.
Blue tempo is probably your best matchup, and even then, dazes and force make the game hard as hell and probably still unfavored.

Fow define the format because you can't afford to get big win conditions countered by it, so decks adapted to it by playing lower curves or recurring threats/massive card advantages engines to the point that FoW isn't even that good of a card anymore. Wasteland has also a similar effect in the sense that it tend to compact mana curves and enforce people to play more selection/card drawing to avoid being screwed against a double wasteland early game.

The problem of Legacy is all the things a deck need, are usually things given by blue (low variance, highly interactive decks). And WotC won't print anything in the other color that give them way to decrease variance decently, so the format get more and more blue as time pass, until you get to today 75% Brainstorm penetration of T8.

The closest in Legacy you get to Abzan is Dark Maverick. But the deck has been faded out pretty hard by Elves! and Miracles. I think a variant with Zealous persecutions and lingering souls would be pretty decent in the current meta anyway.

Angry Grimace

Because Abzan can't play Force of Will.

It can be.

The nice thing about Force of Will is that it's not a good card in a lot of matchups, for example the mirror and hyper aggressive decks. You really don't want to pay 1 life and a card to counter a Lava Spike or a Delver of Secrets.

Something like 80% of decks in Legacy run Force of Will as a four of and Brainstorm as a four of. Hence why it's a dumb card and why Legacy is never going to be a super popular format.

kirblar

Yup, format falls apart without it. Modern is an interesting experiment into "what does it take to regulate a format without it?"

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";152604440]It's a dumb card because people use it? Take away Force of Will and Legacy goes completely nuts.[/QUOTE]

The fact that a format doesn't work without an unfair dumb card which locks every deck to being blue is indication that the format is dumb. Congratulations, you learned today that Early Magic design was shitty.

Crocodile

Yup. It's funny how many just want Legacy without the reserved list.

I think its fine to argue that's not a productive mentality to have but it doesn't strike me as an odd, illogical or surprising mentality (Human Nature and what not).

The fact that a format doesn't work without an unfair dumb card which locks every deck to being blue is indication that the format is dumb. Congratulations, you learned today that Early Magic design was shitty.

A lot of people have fun playing Legacy and a lot more (though not to Standard levels of course) would have fun playing it if there wasn't card availability issues. The format, as any other, isn't above critique but it is clearly working LOL - there's nothing dumb about it.

Socat

I think its fine to argue that's not a productive mentality to have but it doesn't strike me as an odd, illogical or surprising mentality (Human Nature and what not).

A lot of people have fun playing Legacy and a lot more (though not to Standard levels of course) would have fun playing it if there wasn't card availability issues. The format, as any other, isn't above critique but it is clearly working LOL - there's nothing dumb about it.

Card Availibility + Price put me out of any interest in legacy.

ironmang

How has the massively reduced coverage been effecting legacy btw? I'm sure prices won't budge since stores don't want to take a loss but I can't imagine the same demand will be there when streamed legacy tournaments are only happening several times a year.

I don't really play it much at all anymore since modern is actually accessible to more than a handful of players at my shop.

Angry Grimace

A lot of people would have fun playing 20 Black Lotuses and LOL 40 Lightning Bolts.

To quote an MTG article I read: "Now, if you enjoy casting Brainstorm and playing against other people casting Brainstorm, then legacy is the perfect format for you. I, however, do not find playing against Islands round after round at every event very interesting." Ironically, I actually play Vintage and while it has the same problem, I actually get to cast Ancestral Recall, Necropotence and Yawgmoth's Will.

OnPoint

How has the massively reduced coverage been effecting legacy btw? I'm sure prices won't budge since stores don't want to take a loss but I can't imagine the same demand will be there when streamed legacy tournaments are only happening several times a year.

I don't really play it much at all anymore since modern is actually accessible to more than a handful of players at my shop.

It certainly affected my desire to continue on with building Legacy decks. I sunk a ton of money into the format and learning what's what and then boom, they basically remove it from coverage. I don't regret buying my duals, but it has definitely had an impact on my desire to keep spending money on cards.

The story of all of the clans falling, focusing on Shu Yun in particular.
A lot happens in this story. Details:
* Shu Yun calls a conference of the khans, with a woman named Reyhan taking Dagathar's place. Abzan is only one tenth the size it was, with the others following Dagathar.
* Tasigur turns out to still be alive, but he pledged loyalty to Silumgar and told him about the meeting.
* Yasova tells everyone about Ugin and such. Both Silumgar and Ojutai attack.
* Shu Yun hides his record of the meeting and then pledges loyalty to Ojutai. Ojutai spares the clan under the condition that he kills Shu Yun and everyone with a dragon slayer mark.
* Ojutai commands that all references to khans and clans be removed from Jeskai records. The other dragons have similarly forbidden the use of those words and the clan names.
* Reyhan is killed in battle, but Yasova and Alesha safely escape as a result.
* As a reward, Tasigur is chained up by Silumgar and made his favorite trophy.
* The nameless orc from Alesha's story now has the name Jagun Wingmate.
* Both Alesha and Yasova decide to be loyal to the dragons for the sake of the continued existence of the clans. Kolaghan doesn't demand any loyalty in particular, just for the former Mardu to keep up with her. Atarka doesn't seem to be sapient, so Yasova has to settle with giving her food until she decides not to attack them anymore.

Crocodile

A lot of people would have fun playing 20 Black Lotuses and LOL 40 Lightning Bolts.

To quote an MTG article I read: "Now, if you enjoy casting Brainstorm and playing against other people casting Brainstorm, then legacy is the perfect format for you. I, however, do not find playing against Islands round after round at every event very interesting." Ironically, I actually play Vintage and while it has the same problem, I actually get to cast Ancestral Recall, Necropotence and Yawgmoth's Will.

I'm confused are your opinions those you've acquired from your experiences playing (or at LEAST watching) Legacy or are you just regurgitating the opinions of others you've heard? I mean if you haven't enjoyed playing Legacy that's totally fine but at least save us the extremely reductive (and honestly false) "herp derp all deck are the same" rhetoric.

The story of all of the clans falling, focusing on Shu Yun in particular.
A lot happens in this story. Details:
* Shu Yun calls a conference of the khans, with a woman named Reyhan taking Dagathar's place. Abzan is only one tenth the size it was, with the others following Dagathar.
* Tasigur turns out to still be alive, but he pledged loyalty to Silumgar and told him about the meeting.
* Yasova tells everyone about Ugin and such. Both Silumgar and Ojutai attack.
* Shu Yun hides his record of the meeting and then pledges loyalty to Ojutai. Ojutai spares the clan under the condition that he kills Shu Yun and everyone with a dragon slayer mark.
* Ojutai commands that all references to khans and clans be removed from Jeskai records. The other dragons have similarly forbidden the use of those words and the clan names.
* Reyhan is killed in battle, but Yasova and Alesha safely escape as a result.
* As a reward, Tasigur is chained up by Silumgar and made his favorite trophy.
* The nameless orc from Alesha's story now has the name Jagun Wingmate.
* Both Alesha and Yasova decide to be loyal to the dragons for the sake of the continued existence of the clans. Kolaghan doesn't demand any loyalty in particular, just for the former Mardu to keep up with her. Atarka doesn't seem to be sapient, so Yasova has to settle with giving her food until she decides not to attack them anymore.

I get that Sarkhan has to save Ugin because we need Ugin for the upcoming and eventual showdown with the Edlrazi but it has always looked like and continues to look like the Clans or Tarkir have been getting a SHIT deal in this new Dragon-ruling regime. I guess I have to wait till Dragons of Tarkir drops to see the full fallout but from a perspective of a human living on Tarkir, Sarkhan Vol has to be the worst person alive :/ Like fuck that dude.

Angry Grimace

I'm confused are your opinions those you've acquired from your experiences playing (or at LEAST watching) Legacy or are you just regurgitating the opinions of others you've heard? I mean if you haven't enjoyed playing Legacy that's totally fine but at least save us the extremely reductive (and honestly false) "herp derp all deck are the same" rhetoric.
aWfPfje.png

Yeah, that's great and all except, guess what, every deck in Legacy really does use Brainstorm and Force of Will. Legacy as a format doesn't have enough broken answers to these dumb, shitty designed cards, therefore, I think its a bad format. And woo-hoo, the format costs 10 billion dollars to buy into so its dying anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom