• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Okay so, let's look at the grocery list

1) Wedges? Check
2) Dragons? Check
3) Tribes? Check
4) Gold? Check
5) Continuation of Time Spiral plotline? Possibly check
6) Strong Female Characters? Check
7) Zangief wrassling a bear? Check

Best expansion since... Return to Ravnica!

I'm going to make a guess about how this block is going to progress. Since they emphasized that Khans the block is not wedge-colored; the sets are going to be drafted Khans/Khans/Khans, then "Dewey"/Khans/Khans, then "Louie"/"Louie"/"Dewey"; the premise of the set is going back in time; and Maro said this--
waitingforarmando said: Why was the decision made to center each wedge in Kahns around a color other than the one that has two enemies? It seems like it would be the "natural" way to structure things, and the symmetry breaking makes me a little sad :(

I cannot explain why we did it that way yet, but there is a very good reason which I will explain at the appropriate time.
--I'll guess:

Khans: 3-color, wedges only
Dewey: 2-color, allies only or enemies only
Louie: 1-color

Also, since Maro didn't answer my question about it, I'll guess that the reason why they decided that it was safe to do a multicolor set so soon after Return to Ravnica is that they started to suspect that it was actually more the fault of Shadowmoor one year beforehand than Ravnica three years beforehand that people got tired of multicolor with Shards of Alara, and wanted to see to try again with a two year gap between multicolor sets.

EDIT: Also, all this stuff with extinct dragons and time travel resulting in dragons appearing reminds me of a certain currently airing anime >_>.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";122822980]Don't you dare bring Fairy Tail into this thread.[/QUOTE]
The taint of anime already came via Jace v Chandra. There is no redemption.

Haly

Just remember we came this close to having Izzet fanfiction as our thread title.

ultron87

Maro confirmed there will be a cycle of Planeswalker Commanders in the new decks. Seemed to suggest they'd all be characters from the past.

I don't know a ton of past lore, so what would be the best other options? Serra for white, I assume.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They're going to also have a bulk pack of the first four sets of duel decks. Seems to have gotten lost in the khans news.

OnPoint

Maro confirmed there will be a cycle of Planeswalker Commanders in the new decks. Seemed to suggest they'd all be characters from the past.

I don't know a ton of past lore, so what would be the best other options? Serra for white, I assume.
But Teferi never was a PW before, right? Makes me wonder if these are cannon or if they're just for funsies.

Also I def think PW should be allowed to be commanders already.

bigkrev

But Teferi never was a PW before, right? Makes me wonder if these are cannon or if they're just for funsies.

Also I def think PW should be allowed to be commanders already.

You don't want a game where you can always cast Jace TMS on turn 4 and rebuy him over and over

My guess for black is Tevesh Szat. Yawgmoth wasn't a Planeswalker. He was more powerful than most of them, but he didn't have the spark and couldn't actually planeswalk.

Lucario

Yeah that's speculation on my part but if the red one isn't Jaya then that's a massive fail on Wizards part. I'm guessing white will be Serra. Black maybe Yawgmoth? Green is most likely Freyalise.

Jaya & Teferi are my favorite magic characters, so pls excuse my fanboy hype.

I think green (or black) could also be Lord Windgrace, although I honestly have no idea what his color identity is, he's just a neat character.

Also, the duel deck pack is going to be an amazing deal as long as it isn't over $80. There's great value in all of those.

EDIT:

totally-not-happening wishlist:

White -- Commodore Guff
Blue -- Teferi
Black -- Lord Windgrace, Ob Nixilis, Leshrac, or Tvesh Szat
Red -- Jaya Ballard
Green -- Glissa or Lord Windgrace

red13th

Yeah that's speculation on my part but if the red one isn't Jaya then that's a massive fail on Wizards part. I'm guessing white will be Serra. Black maybe Yawgmoth? Green is most likely Freyalise.

I agree with all of this, maybe Taysir for white instead of Serra.
Considering how WotC sucks they'll make up stupid new planeswalkers nobody cares about instead of using classic ones.

OnPoint

EDIT:

totally-not-happening wishlist:

White -- Commodore Guff
Blue -- Teferi
Black -- Lord Windgrace, Ob Nixilis, Leshrac, or Tvesh Szat
Red -- Jaya Ballard
Green -- Glissa or Lord Windgrace

Glissa was never a PW and went evil in her last appearance so I don't think that's going to happen. And I"m not sure who Lord Windgrace is, but hey, his name is pretty royal sounding.

My predictions are:

White -- Serra
Black -- Leshrac / Tvesh Szat (Yawgmoth was never a PW to whoever said that earlier)
Green -- Freylaise
Blue -- Jace's dad (no it's Teferi)
Red -- obvs Jaya

Well after sorting out all my cards and checking rarities and prices, I'm pretty happy that I got one of the more expensive mythics in M15 in my first 10 packs. I can probably trade Nissa on at the local meetups for some nice cards to make somewhat competitive decks with.

Anyway, I'm in a predicament.

I don't want to go out and buy/trade for a bunch of M14 or RTR cards given they're rotating out of Standard soon, so I am going to limit myself to M15 and the Theros block until the Khan set hits. I do own the Journey into Nyx event counterburn deck though, and I'm happy to grab some more cards to make that deck a bit nicer as a holdover.

So far I've scraped together a pretty meh W/G Convoke token deck out of what I own to screw around with, but nothing is quite as much fun as my old Zendikar Vampire tribal deck.

So kinda a joint question for you guys. Firstly, what should I look to buy next to get some solid cards from the Theros block? Secondly, what should I grab as a holdover to buff up my counterburn deck?

These are probably horribly newb questions...

Lucario

d961Spf.png

Not until the block after Khans, so you're set for like 15 months.

Sweet. Hopefully it isn't too pricey to get them all.

EDIT: OH, last question... okay, multiple questions.

JtN fatpacks are £23 on Amazon right now, is it worth grabbing one for good trade bait/useful uncommons and commons?

also

If I'm ordering from the UK, what's a good online store?

Lucario

Sweet. Hopefully it isn't too pricey to get them all.

EDIT: OH, last question... okay, multiple questions.

JtN fatpacks are £23 on Amazon right now, is it worth grabbing one for good trade bait/useful uncommons and commons?

also

If I'm ordering from the UK, what's a good online store?

Dno about good online stores for the UK, but if you can use Amazon US, there's always cheap sellers there. Same with TCGPlayer.com.

You shouldn't buy fatpacks, because they rarely have value. It's always better to just draft when you want to open packs imo, because you can still get some entertainment out of it if your pulls suck.

Well I got a neat box and a paper reference for M15 cards too, I'm okay with that.

So fancy lands, then probably run something I find entertaining like burn or mono black. Hmm.

Haly

Windgrace is a furry cat PW, from the same race as Mirri. He's BG aligned and met Venser way back when in Time Spiral. He's kind of sort of not dead, having offered his spark to seal the rift in Urbog, but not before infusing the swamp with some of his life force, so there's wiggle room there to bring him back.

Here he is. For some reason the only card he gets is red.
Image.ashx

kirblar

Buying packs instead of singles is generally a bad idea. The trick is the timing on when you buy singles, you want to get good cards before they skyrocket (nom nom 3.5 dollar DRS pre-sales) or catch other cards at a low ebb after the set's been out a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom