• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

Guess they can afford all kinds of fancy tricks with our ten dollars. Thanks, MaRo.

That is nice though. Wonder if that will extend to other sets in the future. Seeing trash cans just packed full of booster foil always does seem like a bit of a waste.

I don't mind it so long as the cards don't get wrecked in the packaging. That's my biggest worry. Also I'll miss that new pack smell.

Firemind

Yeah, Sultai's access to green makes it better right now.

Outpost Siege - better than Chandra cause it can't be killed by damage. Awkward.
Also, Siege can't be killed by Hero's Downfall which is very relevant.

RIP Chandra. One of the best red planeswalkers still can't compete with a rare enchantment.

ultron87

I don't mind it so long as the cards don't get wrecked in the packaging. That's my biggest worry. Also I'll miss that new pack smell.

I'd think that we can assume they've tested for such issues a ton. I can't imagine Wizards would decide to take a risk with card safety on the most premium booster product they've ever offered.

bigkrev

I'd think that we can assume they've tested for such issues a ton. I can't imagine Wizards would decide to take a risk with card safety on the most premium booster product they've ever offered.

It's more a question of "5 years later when we crack this box, are the cards fucked up?" I'm sure the short term is fine and tested

Also, the most expensive "pack" product they put out was actually the Foil Alara booster. I think it's MSRP was 12 dollars?

OnPoint

They printed Treasure Cruise AND Dig Through Time. Evidence says they don't test anything.

ultron87

Ooh, the Dragons prerelease spindowns are really nice looking:

Feature20150224_DiceSet.jpg

Also there is a silly mini game that I imagine many stores will ignore and/or cause drama because there are varying prize levels based on dice chucking skill.

TarkirDragonfurygame.jpg

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/tarkir-dragonfury-explanation-2015-02-24

Also, the most expensive "pack" product they put out was actually the Foil Alara booster. I think it's MSRP was 12 dollars?

True. I forgot about those packs. I imagine those weren't that successful since they never did that again.

bigkrev

Ooh, the Dragons prerelease spindowns are really nice looking:

Also there is a silly mini game that I imagine many stores will ignore and/or cause drama because there are varying prize levels based on dice chucking skill.

True. I forgot about those packs. I imagine those weren't that successful since they never did that again.

Yeah, they also killed Premium Deck Series releases as well. It turns out that people are not willing to pay premium prices for foil cards- the only Foil special they put out now is FTV, and that is popular mostly because they are willing to reprint big money cards in it, and they are actually super limited releases.

Not sure how I like a game of skill other than Magic the Gathering affecting prize support at Magic Tournaments. Seems really shady.

kirblar

Yeah, they also killed Premium Deck Series releases as well. It turns out that people are not willing to pay premium prices for foil cards- the only Foil special they put out now is FTV, and that is popular mostly because they are willing to reprint big money cards in it, and they are actually super limited releases.

Not sure how I like a game of skill other than Magic the Gathering affecting prize support at Magic Tournaments. Seems really shady.
Yup, they've learned the big draw of foils is scarcity, not the foiling itself.

OnPoint

Would have preferred every one of those decks out of foil, in all honesty.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They have little games with every pre-release, none of which any store I've ever been to even bothers with. They just give you the prize...

Yup, they've learned the big draw of foils is scarcity, not the foiling itself.

I think foils look dumb a lot of the time, tbh.

Firemind

Speaking of dumb foils, foil Nekusar, I beg your pardon? A non-foil is barely worth half a dollar and has the same art lol. The reason judge promos should be handed out is because they have different artwork or borders. Not that it matters now.

ultron87

They have little games with every pre-release, none of which any store I've ever been to even bothers with. They just give you the prize...

I liked the idea of the last one where everyone "worked together" to open the Ugin thing. Even though it was a foregone conclusion it added a nice little community element. One my TOss did a humorous dramatic reveal of each stage which made it entertaining.

This one might be weirder since they, presumably, can't just give everyone whatever the rare is since the score needed seems nigh impossible so there certainly won't be one for every player. I don't really want to see stores throwing them in the normal prize pool either, though. Can probably just include them in door prizes if they don't want to run dice chucking.

I'd like them to do the challenge deck thing they had for Theros Game Days again. Those were fun to mess after a quick round.

That's exactly why I'm an advocate of the old foil printing method.

We did a grab bag draft a while back, and I took an old foil with one of my crap picks (Shield of Duty and Reason). I like to leave it in my trade binder; a lot of players get a big kick of out how stupidly shiny the old foiling process is.

Yeef

The problem with a lot of the side-events that they add for the pre-releases is that they're a lot of extra work without much payoff. Most of the players, here at least, don't really care about the extra fluff, they just want the extra promos. The challenge decks were fine, because they were set-t-and-forget-it and let players play against them at their leisure between matches.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I liked the idea of the last one where everyone "worked together" to open the Ugin thing. Even though it was a foregone conclusion it added a nice little community element. One my TOss did a humorous dramatic reveal of each stage which made it entertaining.

This one might be weirder since they, presumably, can't just give everyone whatever the rare is since the score needed seems nigh impossible so there certainly won't be one for every player. I don't really want to see stores throwing them in the normal prize pool either, though. Can probably just include them in door prizes if they don't want to run dice chucking.

I'd like them to do the challenge deck thing they had for Theros Game Days again. Those were fun to mess after a quick round.
We were told to shout "JUDGE! I got an Achievement!" Lots of people did it and it was fun(ny).

The problem with a lot of the side-events that they add for the pre-releases is that they're a lot of extra work without much payoff. Most of the players, here at least, don't really care about the extra fluff, they just want the extra promos. The challenge decks were fine, because they were set-t-and-forget-it and let players play against them at their leisure between matches.

The best thing they've done so far is the Garruk fight as part of the M15 prerelease. A lot of us kept that thing around for quite a few weeks, using it to fill time between draft rounds. It was quick, simple, and effective.

Angry Grimace

I like how they replaced the shield with a dragon's face in the expansion logo. Clever.

The foil Sieges and Crux of Fate have both the Khans and Dragons logos depending on how you look at them.

That cardboard idea is great environmentally but I will say, they risk alienating people a bit. Cracking a pack doesn't have the same sound if it is cardboard.

MM2015 isn't target at people who enjoy "cracking packs", it's targeted at Drafters and Modern Spikes.

I suppose. I'm going to Vegas though for the Grand Prix, and I like cracking packs! I love Limited though, its the only official format in which I participate.

Edit: also, I said my previous statement with the presupposition that they might try to introduce cardboard for all packs.

kirblar

After the symbols immediately got colored again in the next block, I think what happened was simple- they tried to cut costs and got blown up for it.

That cardboard idea is great environmentally but I will say, they risk alienating people a bit. Cracking a pack doesn't have the same sound if it is cardboard.
Well it does have that perforated tear band. Depending on the materials used (I have no hopes since recycled material is typically complete shit quality wise) it could make a nice satisfying ripppppppppppp noise when you open it.

I haven't been paying attention: are you always picking the same mode on Outpost Siege or is its modal nature actually important?

IIRC Ben Stark won a close game in a key match this weekend by choosing Dragons.

RIP Chandra. One of the best red planeswalkers still can't compete with a rare enchantment.

That first effect just isn't worth it. I think you could design a red PW with Chandra's middle ability that was fair but still better than Outpost Siege, but you'd need a first ability you actually wanted to play.

They printed Treasure Cruise AND Dig Through Time.

...which don't seem to be breaking Standard, the only Constructed format they care about when they test things?

As I understand it those packs were just an (also largely unsuccessful) way to get rid of giant stacks of foil Alara cards left over after underwhelming set redemptions.

Yeah, they also killed Premium Deck Series releases as well. It turns out that people are not willing to pay premium prices for foil cards

I'm not sure that's exactly the right conclusion. The problem with the foil packs and the PDS is that you're paying a foil premium across the board for cards that are mostly junk. FTVs foil cards that people care about and play with, so people will pay a premium.

Angry Grimace

I tend to doubt the idea will stick.

IIRC Ben Stark won a close game in a key match this weekend by choosing Dragons.

That first effect just isn't worth it. I think you could design a red PW with Chandra's middle ability that was fair but still better than Outpost Siege, but you'd need a first ability you actually wanted to play.

...which don't seem to be breaking Standard, the only Constructed format they care about when they test things?

As I understand it those packs were just an (also largely unsuccessful) way to get rid of giant stacks of foil Alara cards left over after underwhelming set redemptions.

I'm not sure that's exactly the right conclusion. The problem with the foil packs and the PDS is that you're paying a foil premium across the board for cards that are mostly junk. FTVs foil cards that people care about and play with, so people will pay a premium.

I think the problem is that making that effect cheaper than 4 is dangerous but a Planeswalker is always going to be a more vulnerable permanent than an enchantment. Outpost Siege itself is one of those super good Magic cards that's probably underplayed right now. Its splashable as hell and in the right deck its basically just a one-sided Howling Mine.

ironmang

Anybody have experience trading on MOTL or mtgsalvation? Used to do a lot of trading on deckbox and reddit but both communities seemed to be dying off for some reason. I don't use facebook anymore so the high end group is pretty much out. :\

Angry Grimace

I'm super hyped to see these Dragons cards. I don't really know why, I'm not super in love with Fate Reforged. Maybe its because I'm already tired of Khans-dominated drafts?

Random thought, but would this be anywhere near as broken as Gush?

Erupting Insight - 2R
Sorcery
You may return two Mountains you control to their owner's hand rather than pay Erupting Insight's mana cost.
Exile the top two cards of your library. Until end of turn, you may play cards exiled this way.

Angry Grimace

Erupting Insight - 2R
Sorcery
You may return two Mountains you control to their owner's hand rather than pay Erupting Insight's mana cost.
Exile the top two cards of your library. Until end of turn, you may play cards exiled this way.

I'd totally love playing against that in Modern Burn decks. :negative:

kirblar

Erupting Insight - 2R
Sorcery
It's still absurdly broken, yes.

Angry Grimace

I don't think Gush is the standard of broken-ness you're looking to not reach. Stuff can be broken without being Gush
KuGsj.gif

bigkrev

Erupting Insight - 2R
Sorcery

In modern, that's far better than Gush would be

Let's make it sacrificing the mountains and make the red player roll those dice.

No - force him to return untapped mountains. This probably takes it from being broken to nigh unplayable.

EDIT: Wait, 2R? So it's priced as Divination? I guess you might just play it straight up sometimes then.

No - force him to return untapped mountains. This probably takes it from being broken to nigh unplayable.

EDIT: Wait, 2R? So it's priced as Divination? I guess you might just play it straight up sometimes then.

Act on Impulse gets you three cards, so it seems reasonable that two cards would normally be two mana. So, for its mana cost, it's one mana more than it would be expected to be.

OnPoint

Was a simple dig at them not testing properly (in context I was comparing them testing packaging to playability of cards, come on son lol) Don't overthink everything :p

Was a simple dig at them not testing properly (in context I was comparing them testing packaging to playability of cards, come on son lol) Don't overthink everything :p

Hard to tell snarky-funny from snarky-bitter in this thread sometimes!

I think the problem is that making that effect cheaper than 4 is dangerous but a Planeswalker is always going to be a more vulnerable permanent than an enchantment. Outpost Siege itself is one of those super good Magic cards that's probably underplayed right now. Its splashable as hell and in the right deck its basically just a one-sided Howling Mine.

Well, I'd agree it definitely shouldn't ever be at 3 mana. Outpost Siege itself probably isn't super-undercosted, but it's hard to be sure since "just draw one extra card each turn" doesn't actually seem to be a card. The best comparisons are probably Phyrexian Arena (clearly ultra-cheap) at 3, Grafted Skullcap (which is pretty similar to Outpost Siege, actually) at 4 and Honden of Seeing Winds at 5.

Regardless, I do think you could make a fair 4-mana planeswalker with Chandra's middle ability and a better +, and it'd probably get played.

Angry Grimace

Hard to tell snarky-funny from snarky-bitter in this thread sometimes!

Well, I'd agree it definitely shouldn't ever be at 3 mana. Outpost Siege itself probably isn't super-undercosted, but it's hard to be sure since "just draw one extra card each turn" doesn't actually seem to be a card. The best comparisons are probably Phyrexian Arena (clearly ultra-cheap) at 3, Grafted Skullcap (which is pretty similar to Outpost Siege, actually) at 4 and Honden of Seeing Winds at 5.

Regardless, I do think you could make a fair 4-mana planeswalker with Chandra's middle ability and a better +, and it'd probably get played.

I think Outpost Siege is better than that ability stapled to a Planeswalker in pretty much every scenario regardless of what the + is because the + is probably never going to be as good an exile-draw. Defending itself in that comparison is mostly irrelevant because Outpost Siege doesn't need to protect itself at all.

kirblar

I think Outpost Siege is better than that ability stapled to a Planeswalker in pretty much every scenario regardless of what the + is because the + is probably never going to be as good an exile-draw.
Oddly Chandra may be better in Modern because the +1 can actually be relevant there.

Angry Grimace

Oddly Chandra may be better in Modern because the +1 can actually be relevant there.

My guess is that there are better options than either, although I saw some weirdo deck that did have Chandra P in it on a MTGO tourney.

I'm reasonably disappointed with my performance at the last PTQ with Sidisi Whip but I still think it's a strong deck, and I don't think it was tuned to its full potential for the current meta.

Going into the next few weeks, here's the updated list I'm working with:

Sultai Midrange

Creatures(21):
  • 4 Satyr Wayfinder
  • 4 Courser of Kruphix
  • 4 Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
  • 3 Torrent Elemental
  • 3 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
  • 3 Hornet Queen

Spells(12):
  • 4 Bile Blight
  • 2 Hero's Downfall
  • 2 Sultai Charm
  • 4 Murderous Cut

Enchantments(2):
  • 2 Whip of Erebos

Land(25):
  • 4 Opulent Palace
  • 3 Temple of Malady
  • 2 Temple of Mystery
  • 1 Evolving Wilds
  • 4 Polluted Delta
  • 3 Swamp
  • 2 Island
  • 1 Forest
  • 1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
  • 2 Llanowar Wastes
  • 2 Yavimaya Coast

Sideboard(15):
  • 3 Thoughtseize
  • 3 Drown in Sorrow
  • 2 Crux of Fate
  • 3 Disdainful Stroke
  • 2 Negate
  • 1 Silumgar, the Drifting Death
  • 1 Sultai Charm

The format has gotten more aggressive in general, and the controlling decks have become more efficient, so I had to trim on a lot of the clunky cards to keep up with the other strategies.

Doomwake Giant is awesome when it's good, but too often it's just too slow against the matchups where you need it most, and there's a lot more worrisome x/2 creatures than Hordeling Outbursts to worry about. I dropped them to complete the set of Bile Blights.

Torrent Elemental is constantly overperforming and is especially strong against all the upgraded control decks so I added a third.

Whip is less effective than before but also less crucial to the gameplan. I don't get as many chances to run it out early when under pressure, so I trimmed a copy.

Finally, I made the manabase less painful and more consistent because I was hurting myself too much against the new aggro decks.

In the sideboard I've created a transformative control package that has generic answers against all the other decks in the format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom