• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Limited is also my favorite format, for similar but somewhat different reasons than what you guys have articulated. Limited, more than any other way we play, forces the players to evaluate every card in the set. Just about everything has a place in a pinch, and learning what really is just that bad is an important part of learning every new set.

The, well, limited resources also result in by far the highest deck, and by extension play, variety. As someone who enjoys Magic in large part as an exploration of a complex system I absolutely love that. There are all kinds of unlikely interactions you would never discover if you weren't using combinations of cards you would otherwise never play.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Limited is also my favorite format, for similar but somewhat different reasons than what you guys have articulated. Limited, more than any other way we play, forces the players to evaluate every card in the set. Just about everything has a place in a pinch, and learning what really is just that bad is an important part of learning every new set.

The, well, limited resources also result in by far the highest deck, and by extension play, variety. As someone who enjoys Magic in large part as an exploration of a complex system I absolutely love that. There are all kinds of unlikely interactions you would never discover if you weren't using combinations of cards you would otherwise never play.

I think knowing every card in the set is not really so different than reading the metagame in any other sense. It just requires a larger degree of knowledge which is way higher than just knowing people like to play Rhinos.

I guess I'm a dirty casual.

It's funny how Team Sealed is actually a better format than Team Draft given how much Sealed sucks compared to draft. That extra cardpool really helps since you're going to get 3 real decks out of it.

Team Sealed might be the best format in the game. It's just so hard to actually make it happen.

I don't think you'll see new prints of the Dragonlords unless there's something materially different about them. So far they seem like the same ol' dragon dudes and chicks.

I'm inclined to agree. It'd be weird to burn ten legend slots with five of them covering characters that were printed in the last set and not transformed by the time travel.

I don't think it will seriously be a shard set, but something about it just being "allied set stuffed with dragons" doesn't feel quite right either

It's not going to be a multicolor set at all. If it was we'd have gotten a lot more gold stuff in FRF. It'll have some other theme (probably not just "dragons everywhere!") with factions that happen to be two-color.

y2dvd

I pretty much agree with everyone's love for limited. It's the most skill intensive and best format.

I did Modern WNM for the first time tonight. Went 3-1 with BUG Infect, losing to R/U Burn (I don't know any of these deck names yet lol). I've won some 1 turn swings which felt really dirty. =X

What's the better sideboard for this format, Dispel or Spell Pierce? Also, I got recommended Surgical Extraction. Any budgeted version of that card?

OnPoint

I think I'm going to build a Modern Manifest/Cloudshift/RestoAngel deck that attempts to cheat Emrakul or other large threats into play for funsies.

I pretty much agree with everyone's love for limited. It's the most skill intensive and best format.

I did Modern WNM for the first time tonight. Went 3-1 with BUG Infect, losing to R/U Burn (I don't know any of these deck names yet lol). I've won some 1 turn swings which felt really dirty. =X

What's the better sideboard for this format, Dispel or Spell Pierce? Also, I got recommended Surgical Extraction. Any budgeted version of that card?

There are other cards with the same text as Surgical (like Extirpate), but what makes Surgical so good is that it's free. I think you should be trying to replicate the free part more than the "strip all wincons" part, so I would suggest Faerie Macabre as a possible budget version.

Also, it'll probably be in MM2, for whatever that's worth.

Matriox

AbzanBeastmasterFNM.png

Lol.. May fnm promo... I wish they'd toss us a non standard promo every once in awhile...

I never paid attention to his types before. He's a doggy wizard. Thats kinda funny.

EDIT: Also, I finally understand the regular art now. Never realized that was a tusk and some sort of reigns hanging down into the frame.

Apeopleman

4x Elvish Mystic
4x Sylvan Caryatid
4x Voyaging Satyr
4x Courser of Kruphix
4x Polukranos, World Eater
4x Whisperwood Elemental
2x Hornet Queen
2x Frontier Siege
3x Nissa, Worldwaker
2x Genesis Hydra
2x Hooded Hydra
1x Arbor Colossus

20 Forests
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nix
1 Darksteel Citadel

Side (Nothing is concrete, just going to list what I have on hand)

3x Arbor Colossus
2x Back to Nature
2x Hornet's Nest
4x Nylea's Disciple
3x Plummet
(Suggestions welcome)

Any criticisms welcome.

bigkrev

With cards like Arbor Colossus and Hornet Queen, i'd probably play a forest instead of the Citadel. While it's got a cute interaction with Nissa, there will be hands you should Mulligan that would be keeps if that Citadel was a Forest instead.

Elvish Mystic
Elvish Mystic
Courser of Kruphix
Nissa, Worldwaker
Frontier Sage
Darksteel Citadel
Nythkos, Shrine to Nyx

vs

Elvish Mystic
Elvish Mystic
Courser of Kruphix
Nissa, Worldwaker
Frontier Sage
Forest
Nythkos, Shrine to Nyx

trumangc

Neo Member
The potential to have an indestructible 4/4 probably isn't worth the small drop in consistency. I would also recommend running some number of Reclamation Sage, maybe Shamanic Revelation and Ugin too.

Apeopleman

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I will mess around with the Darksteel Citadel in casual play. If it doesnt hinder me, I'll leave it in. If not, I'll take it out for a forest.

Reclamation sage vs Back to nature; should I do a 1:1 split in the side board? Or go 2-0 either way? Keep back to nature at 2, and Sage to 1?

I will mess around with the Darksteel Citadel in casual play. If it doesnt hinder me, I'll leave it in. If not, I'll take it out for a forest.

Reclamation sage vs Back to nature; should I do a 1:1 split in the side board? Or go 2-0 either way? Keep back to nature at 2, and Sage to 1?

I wouldn't recommend using Back to Nature unless your metagame has a lot of enchantments. You don't want to risk it being a dead card. If nothing else, Reclamation Sage is a 2/1 creature.

trumangc

Neo Member

I would cut both copies Back to Nature and 1 Plummet for 3 Reclamation Sage. You won't often need to remove more than one enchantment and Back to Nature can't even be a guaranteed 1 for 1 if you're running Frontier Siege and courser

So is there a reason dog people are Hounds, cat people are Cats but octopus people are Cephalid?

When Odyssey block was released, I don't think there were any cat people or dog people in Magic. Creature type technology has evolved a lot since then. Human and Demon weren't even allowed creature types at that point.

The potential to have an indestructible 4/4 probably isn't worth the small drop in consistency. I would also recommend running some number of Reclamation Sage, maybe Shamanic Revelation and Ugin too.
Not to mention that indestructible isn't even a lock for keeping a creature on the board right now in standard.

Joe Molotov

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";153826211]Not to mention that indestructible isn't even a lock for keeping a creature on the board right now in standard.[/QUOTE]

Wizards, pls print Hexproof, Indestructible land.

OnPoint

When Odyssey block was released, I don't think there were any cat people or dog people in Magic. Creature type technology has evolved a lot since then. Human and Demon weren't even allowed creature types at that point.

Mirri was on the Weatherlight crew.

Legends had cat warriors.

C'mon son.

red13th

Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior? :)
I hate Cephalid being a creature type, they should errata it. Viashino too, they should be Lizards.

Yeah that's true.

The second half of my post still applies though :p Creature type creative guidelines were all over the place until whenever it was that they combed through Gatherer and changed a ton of creature types all at once so that it made some sense.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

The drop in consistency is incredibly tiny

Man, some dude was playing Paul Cheon with the Torrent Elementals in the BUG control deck like I mentioned before and man did it fuck up Paul in the mirror. Card is so good.

Apeopleman

Thanks a lot guys.

Thoughts on Nissa? I feel like its a bomb if you can pull off either of it's plus effects twice in a game. It helps spam the board, and fits beautifully in mono green since I'm playing 20 forests.

Never play more than 2. It's great against control and gets you killed when you tap out for it against anyone else. Nissa costs 5, makes one of your lands killable, and doesn't create a good mana dump if you're ramp, and can someone just net you -1 land. I love Nissa from a design perspective, but I would rather slot in more Genesis Hydras instead of her in a mainboard, if I'm at less than 4. I love Nissa mostly when I get her off of a Genesis Hydra or boarded in against control.

Angry Grimace

Playing Anger of the Gods against Mono-Green was always my favorite since it killed all the dorks and little devotion weenies.

y2dvd

Playing Anger of the Gods against Mono-Green was always my favorite since it killed all the dorks and little devotion weenies.

It's to the point where I mainboard 2 in now. It hits green dorks, B/R aggro shenanigans, most aggro stuff, Ashcloud and Flamewake Phoenix, tokens, etc. It just hits so many targets.

Angry Grimace

Question, a white/black multicolored permanent could be considered a white permanent?

A card is any colors in its mana cost.

Ex: Mantis Rider is URW - It is blue, red and white and is affected or affects anything that cares about those colors.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";153933029]60% of the way towards Coalition Victory![/QUOTE]

One Sliver Queen and a Prismatic Omen.

Or cast a Prismwake Merrow and make it every color

More information about Magic Origins. Basically:
* The set will take place on 10 planes: each focused planeswalker's homeworld, and the first world he or she planeswalked to.
* The two new mechanics are reiterated as being focused on growing over time.
* Gideon, Jace, Nissa, Chandra, and Liliana were chosen because they are going to be the main focus of storylines for the near future--basically more evidence for Return to Zendikar.
* These origin stories will give hints for future stories.
* In particular, we will learn about how Jace lost his memories (if you didn't know, he has a MYSTERIOUS PAST).
* In the future, there will be greater focus on overarching stories that span multiple worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom