• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

Chandra still has a spot, but it's in the Mardu or R/W midrange deck. R/W aggro can get away with Outpost Siege (dragon) because most spells will be at most 4cmc. In the shells I had mentioned prior, a lot of spells cost higher than 4cmc, so the dragon mode may whiff a lot of cards, making Chandra the safer card to play with. And sometimes I like that Chandra requires to be dealt with so I still run her.

Speaking of Outpost Seige, I'm trying to figure out if there's a Grixis deck that can somehow abuse Shaman of the Great Hunt and Torrent Elemental working side by side. And yes, flipping Torrent Elemental to Outpost Siege is the business.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You have to admit this is a funny board state.
i7vxx2n.jpg

I think my favorite part about Wednesday is that I get to watch the VSL replays from Tuesday. Once again, LSV and Steve Menendian had a crazy match - watching those guys play Magic against each other might be my favorite pasttime.

ultron87

The land itself had changed, too. Where once there had been ruins and piles of dragon bones, now there were fields and forests. The snowy tundra that in a different time was blanketed in endless white was now only partially covered; large swaths of it were charred black. Dragonfire! Sarkhan dropped into a spiraling dive of glee, letting the aroma of burnt undergrowth flood his nostrils. This land had changed because there were dragons here!

cardart_Xb1934cvBu.jpg

Sell your Zendikar fetches.

That's probably just a Mountain.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
cardart_Xb1934cvBu.jpg

Sell your Zendikar fetches.

That's probably just a Mountain.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Isn't that the art for basic Mountain

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";153586346]I'm reasonably disappointed with my performance at the last PTQ with Sidisi Whip but I still think it's a strong deck, and I don't think it was tuned to its full potential for the current meta.

Going into the next few weeks, here's the updated list I'm working with:

Sultai Midrange

Creatures(21):
  • 4 Satyr Wayfinder
  • 4 Courser of Kruphix
  • 4 Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
  • 3 Torrent Elemental
  • 3 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
  • 3 Hornet Queen

Spells(12):
  • 4 Bile Blight
  • 2 Hero's Downfall
  • 2 Sultai Charm
  • 4 Murderous Cut

Enchantments(2):
  • 2 Whip of Erebos

Land(25):
  • 4 Opulent Palace
  • 3 Temple of Malady
  • 2 Temple of Mystery
  • 1 Evolving Wilds
  • 4 Polluted Delta
  • 3 Swamp
  • 2 Island
  • 1 Forest
  • 1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
  • 2 Llanowar Wastes
  • 2 Yavimaya Coast

Sideboard(15):
  • 3 Thoughtseize
  • 3 Drown in Sorrow
  • 2 Crux of Fate
  • 3 Disdainful Stroke
  • 2 Negate
  • 1 Silumgar, the Drifting Death
  • 1 Sultai Charm

The format has gotten more aggressive in general, and the controlling decks have become more efficient, so I had to trim on a lot of the clunky cards to keep up with the other strategies.

Doomwake Giant is awesome when it's good, but too often it's just too slow against the matchups where you need it most, and there's a lot more worrisome x/2 creatures than Hordeling Outbursts to worry about. I dropped them to complete the set of Bile Blights.

Torrent Elemental is constantly overperforming and is especially strong against all the upgraded control decks so I added a third.

Whip is less effective than before but also less crucial to the gameplan. I don't get as many chances to run it out early when under pressure, so I trimmed a copy.

Finally, I made the manabase less painful and more consistent because I was hurting myself too much against the new aggro decks.

In the sideboard I've created a transformative control package that has generic answers against all the other decks in the format.[/QUOTE]

It just seems to me like Whip isn't a terribly good card at this point.

Whip is still good. There's a lot of burn running around with the RW and GR decks, so the lifegain is a huge deal. But it's just so slow, and drawing the second one kinda sucks. It's more of a late game stabilizer than a card to jam on turn four to get early Hornet Queens with.

My deck is definitely less focused on abusing Whip synergies now, though, and works more like a real midrange deck. If there was a better way to climb out of burn range I'd take it. I'd probably run Vampire Nighthawk over it if it was in standard.

edit: So what do we know about the cards in DTK?

• Surrak, Hunt Caller
  • Zurgo, Bell-Ringer
  • FRF Dragons returning
  • Vial of Dragonfire art
  • Zendikar fetchlands?
  • Narset planeswalker, legend slot taken by Taigam?

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";153635708]Whip is still good. There's a lot of burn running around with the RW and GR decks, so the lifegain is a huge deal. But it's just so slow, and drawing the second one kinda sucks. It's more of a late game stabilizer than a card to jam on turn four to get early Hornet Queens with.

My deck is definitely less focused on abusing Whip synergies now, though, and works more like a real midrange deck. If there was a better way to climb out of burn range I'd take it. I'd probably run Vampire Nighthawk over it if it was in standard.

edit: So what do we know about the cards in DTK?

• Surrak, Hunt Caller
  • Zurgo, Bell-Ringer
  • FRF Dragons returning
  • Vial of Dragonfire art
  • Zendikar fetchlands?
  • Narset planeswalker, legend slot taken by Taigam?
[/QUOTE]

I don't think you'll see new prints of the Dragonlords unless there's something materially different about them. So far they seem like the same ol' dragon dudes and chicks.

I don't think you'll see new prints of the Dragonlords unless there's something materially different about them. So far they seem like the same ol' dragon dudes and chicks.

Kolaghan definitely has new art, and does look a bit different. I imagine that they will have larger cards that cost more.

kirblar

The former Khans lost their third color. In the case of the Sultai, Sidisi's race isn't even in the clan anymore, so they'll need a new one. They'll do new legends, simply because it's obviously something cool players would have wanted.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I'd at the very least expect 'Ojutai, the Great Teacher' and there's art for Kolaghan, and if they do those, why not all? If they don't print the Legendary Dragons central to the story in a set called "Dragons of Tarkir", that'd be kinda weird to me... :-/

Angry Grimace

The former Khans lost their third color. In the case of the Sultai, Sidisi's race isn't even in the clan anymore, so they'll need a new one. They'll do new legends, simply because it's obviously something cool players would have wanted.

Yes they are, the last Uncharted Realms showed the Naga/Rakshasa in the service of Silumgar. ("The traitorous naga Shidiqi, who had abandoned Tasigur and sided with Silumgar . . .")

Kolaghan definitely has new art, and does look a bit different. I imagine that they will have larger cards that cost more.

Maybe, but its nothing like Mikey from Dark Ascension - they're the same characters and so far nothing has happened other than the passage of time (which seems to be meaningless to dragons - Niv-Mizzle is 15,000).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So there's no chance in hell that we've been duped and Dragons is actually going to be a shard set right?

Because that would give you a reason to have new legendary dragons

Angry Grimace

So there's no chance in hell that we've been duped and Dragons is actually going to be a shard set right?

Because that would give you a reason to have new legendary dragons

Why would it be a Shard set? Its pretty clearly allies.

I would imagine that there will be an ally theme just as much as Innistrad. That is to say, something else will probably be more important to the set, such as perhaps a colorless theme.

Angry Grimace

I was reading Doug Beyer's blog and he was saying that the storyline justification for the Allied Fetch lands in Khans of Tarkir was that they were basically "Dragon Graveyards" for the allied color dragonlords.

Now that the Khans are dead...

Firemind

I just want another Stormbreath/Thundermaw class dragon.
What's better than hasty dragons? That's right.

Blistering Hellkite
3RR
Creature - Dragon
Super Haste (You may put this card into play from your hand, tapped and attacking, during your declare attackers step. If you do, you lose the game at the end of your next turn unless you pay this card's mana cost during that turn.)
R: Blistering Hellkite gains +1/+0 until end of turn.
5/5

kirblar

I was reading Doug Beyer's blog and he was saying that the storyline justification for the Allied Fetch lands in Khans of Tarkir was that they were basically "Dragon Graveyards" for the allied color dragonlords.

Now that the Khans are dead...
Enemy Scars lands is by far the most likely.

Angry Grimace

Do you have any particular reason to believe that? Meaning, is that just speculation or do you have some source that suggests this is likely?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";153656123]Isn't that like literally the reason to have a time travel set? Showing material difference in the same characters?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Surrak, the Hunt-Caller, etc. The Dragonzords are apparently just the same thing.

kirblar

Do you have any actual reason to believe that?
There were 3 major cycles of lands in Modern that needed to be completed prior to KTK coming out. 1 got completed in KTK. That leaves enemy manland and enemy scarslands. Zendikar is up next, that's likely to have the Manlands. That leaves the Enemy Manlands. It's why they had to put the enemy painlands in M15- the early game fixing necessary for the aggressive 3-color clans wasn't going to be in standard until 6 months after the set released.

OnPoint

You always say this, and you are usually well-versed, so I'm curious as to why you believe this. It seems unlikely to me since they've talked a few times about not wanting to break land cycles between blocks in the past. Why do you think it will be enemy fast lands?

Edit: And the reasoning is above.

Angry Grimace

There were 3 major cycles of lands in Modern that needed to be completed prior to KTK coming out. 1 got completed in KTK. That leaves enemy manland and enemy scarslands. Zendikar is up next, that's likely to have the Manlands. That leaves the Enemy Manlands. It's why they had to put the enemy painlands in M15- the early game fixing necessary for the aggressive 3-color clans wasn't going to be in standard until 6 months after the set released.

FYI: that question sounded a lot more antagonistic than I intended it, by the way. I just wanted to know if there was some particular reason you thought that.

It just sounds like speculation to me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
What's better than hasty dragons? That's right.

Blistering Hellkite
3RR
Creature - Dragon
Super Haste (You may put this card into play from your hand, tapped and attacking, during your declare attackers step. If you do, you lose the game at the end of your next turn unless you pay this card's mana cost during that turn.)
R: Blistering Hellkite gains +1/+0 until end of turn.
5/5

Under the Time Spiral rules changes you could effectively template it as

Blistering Hellkite
Creature - Dragon
Echo 3RR
If you fail to pay Blistering Hellkite's Echo cost you lose the game

I can't wait for Return to Zendikar to come out with new Eldrazi. The fact that there's no 13- or 14-drop creature really puts a hamper on my Yisan EDH deck.

1. Birds of Paradise
  2. Fauna Shaman
  3. Eternal Witness
  4. Solemn Simulacrum
  5. Acidic Slime
  6. Soul of New Phyrexia
  7. Hornet Queen
  8. Terastodon
  9. Nullstone Gargoyle
  10. Kozilek
  11. Ulamog
  12. Blightsteel Colossus
  13. ???
  14. ???
  15. Emrakul

Angry Grimace

Watching a draft on CFB and I can't believe PV took a Mardu Skullhunter over a Mardu Roughrider when he has 0 5 drops, 4 2 drops and 0 1 drops. And then like 2 picks later he passes a Ride Down for Sidisi's Pet.

Watching a draft on CFB and I can't believe PV took a Mardu Skullhunter over a Mardu Roughrider when he has 0 5 drops, 4 2 drops and 0 1 drops. And then like 2 picks later he passes a Ride Down for Sidisi's Pet.

I just started watching and yeah, the Skullhunter is a waaaay better card than the Roughrider.

The aggro deck wants to be consistent and fast, and the Mardu guy doesn't help him be either of those things.

edit:
I probably would have taken the Rakshasa's Secret over both the Pet and the Ride Down, but none of the three are hopefully making it into the deck.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";153660383]I just started watching and yeah, the Skullhunter is a waaaay better card than the Roughrider.

The aggro deck wants to be consistent and fast, and the Mardu guy doesn't help him be either of those things.[/QUOTE]

I will never understand Limited. Its too much time-limited shit going on combined with random luck for me to understand on any deeper level than "oh this card looks sort of good," which is why I don't bother playing it too much anymore. Its inherently too difficult for me to bother with too much, even if on some level its a fun thing to do.

I will never understand Limited. Its too much time-limited shit going on combined with random luck for me to understand on any deeper level than "oh this card looks sort of good," which is why I don't bother playing it too much anymore. Its inherently too difficult for me to bother with too much, even if on some level its a fun thing to do.

To me, limited is the real game of magic, and constructed is just kind of this thing you do with all the cards you traded away from your drafts. Draft and Team Sealed are both puzzles on a level of complexity above Constructed, so it's a lot more fun and addicting to me.

I have some poor opinions of constructed magic in general. but it's still fun.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";153662447]To me, limited is the real game of magic, and constructed is just kind of this thing you do with all the cards you traded away from your drafts. Draft and Team Sealed are both puzzles on a level of complexity above Constructed, so it's a lot more fun and addicting to me.

I have some poor opinions of constructed magic in general. but it's still fun.[/QUOTE]Meh, its too hard to be any good at. Of course, I really don't care because I'm not a wannabe pro tour magic player.

Meh, its too hard to be any good at. Of course, I really don't care because I'm not a wannabe pro tour magic player.

I don't get that. Isn't it fun because it's hard? Solving puzzles is basically the only reason I want to play.

If someone threw me at a Grand Prix and just handed me the best deck premade every time I would get burned out after like two tournaments.

Firemind

It's quite simple. Khans limited is a format of resources because of all the morphs and multicolour. Taking a card is a very real advantage and unlike Rakshashashashasha's Secret, Skullhunter has a body, thus trades with morphs and can be pumped with a dozen cards. Bolster 2 ain't too shabby even on a 2/1. Whereas Roughrider is three colour, costs five mana (same with a lot of unmorph costs) and can be dealt with quite easily.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";153663230]I don't get that. Isn't it fun because it's hard? Solving puzzles is basically the only reason I want to play.

If someone threw me at a Grand Prix and just handed me the best deck premade every time I would get burned out after like two tournaments.[/QUOTE]No, it isn't fun when everyone else is better than you. But you don't need to get it, you can have fun grinding PTQs, while I play Dragon Age.

To me, Limited is the quintessential Magic experience. It's not about buying singles from the store because they're the best cards in the format. It's about cracking packs and making decks from what you get. You get to play with so many more cards and everything has its place. You don't have to play a deck because it's "the best" (assuming the format is good) because the metagame isn't about decks where the contents are known. You get tested on your ability to evaluate cards, build decks, and play decks.

Limited Magic is the best Magic.

Angry Grimace

To me, Limited is the quintessential Magic experience. It's not about buying singles from the store because they're the best cards in the format. It's about cracking packs and making decks from what you get. You get to play with so many more cards and everything has its place. You don't have to play a deck because it's "the best" (assuming the format is good) because the metagame isn't about decks where the contents are known. You get tested on your ability to evaluate cards, build decks, and play decks.

Limited Magic is the best Magic.

Its a fine opinion to have. I just personally find it too difficult and unintuitive, as well as far too expensive to spend time trying to get better at.

But let me add that you don't have to play a constructed deck because its "the best," you do that because you're a Spike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom