• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

It's the fast single-player version of Commander. Because it's small decks and low-priced cards it plays much more like a weird Legacy than a big casual multiplayer format. I kind of like the idea of a format with commander-like deckbuilding restrictions but fast two-player play. It's good for keeping people busy after they get knocked out of long commander games, lol.
The 3 cmc restriction in particular seems arbitrary; I can't play Fireblast in a red deck for example! If you can build a 50 card deck and life totals start at 25, in a 1v1 format, then I'm sure the more expensive generals aren't the most lucrative, especially as sol ring and its ilk are banned anyway. Let the market sort it out!

I mean, it's super aggressive. I can't think of any spell that does 5 damage for 3 mana without an additional cost. Given Eradicate it'd probably be okay (if still super aggressive) at 2BR though.

Yeah, after I posted it, I realized that 2BR may be better, since 5 damage does destroy a ton of relevant creatures this Standard and it would be a bit much to have a Lobotomize effect added onto that at 3 mana.

Anyway, last guesses for new mechanics?

not!Jeskai / Ojutai - It should be something that connects to prowess, since that is still in Fate Reforged, meaning it's likely something that relates to noncreatures. However, my thoughts went to the recent Uncharted Realms story, with alternate Taigam pushing away Sarkhan with a force punch. It could be something similar to cycling or even reinforce, which have the goal of allowing you to include cards that may not be useful in all cases. I also expect it to be pretty boring, so I came up with a card like this:

Monk Powers - 3W
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature.
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and vigilance.
Mindpunch W (W, Discard this card: Tap target creature.)

not!Sultai / Silumgar - Since it's been mentioned that Sultai Emissary plays well with this mechanic, and it probably isn't just morbid, perhaps it relates to exiling a creature card from your graveyard as a kicker cost.

Zombie Guard - 1B
Creature - Zombie
Gravekicker (You may exile a creature card from your graveyard as you cast this spell)
If Zombie Guard was gravekicked, it enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it.
1/2

not!Temur / Atarka - The flavor of Temur now bringing offerings to Atarka to appease her does seem to imply a similar effect to the above, since they probably won't bring back offering or devour. Maybe instead of a "kicker" like devour, it can be an alternate cost, like a less restricted offering.

Hungry Rhino - 3GG
Creature - Rhino
Snare 2GG (As an alternate cost, you may pay 2GG and sacrifice a creature. If you do, you may cast this card at any time you could cast an instant.)
Trample
When Hungry Rhino enters the battlefield, if you paid the snare cost, you gain 3 life.
5/5

Joe Molotov

In the spirit Tomoharu Saitou's Mono Black Humans, I decided to put together a Mardu Warriors deck. Then it snowed yesterday and I wasn't able to get out for FNM. *sad* So I've just been sitting around the house today, experimenting with various configurations. This is what I'm on currently.

Creatures (26)
4x Bloodsoaked Champion
4x Mardu Woe-Reaper
3x Mardu Shadowspear
4x Chief of the Edge
4x Battle Brawler
2x Tyramet, the Murder King
3x Goblin Rabblemaster
2x Brutal Hordechief

Spells (12)
2x Wildslash
2x Lightning Blast
2x Mardu Charm
2x Mardu Ascendancy
4x Obelisk of Urd

Lands (22)
2x Swamp
2x Mountain
1x Plains
4x Battlefield Forge
4x Caves of Koilos
4x Mana Confluence
4x Bloodstained Mire
1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Sideboard
3x Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2x Mardu Ascendancy
2x Mardu Charm
4x Thoughtseize
4x Scouring Sands

I've been going back and forth on a few things, like do I really need 4 Obelisks in the mainboard, should I sideboard some Murderous Cuts, 4 Lightning Blasts vs 2 LB + 2 Wildslashes, Aven Skirmishers vs. Mardu Shadowspears, etc. I planned on using the Sorins against decks where I needed some lifegain to keep from getting killed by my own mana base, but maybe Whips would be better. I even considered Rush of Battle, but the fact that it's a sorcery makes me kinda meh. What do you guys think?

I see a lot of Gifts Ungiven being played. Which seemed obvious to me that was going to happen. I hope it's not on a ban radar...

Also, I watched Storm do a turn three win on the SCG Stream today...
the joke is... looks like it needs banned.

I hate how Modern just makes me think of the ban list.

edit: I was gonna go to a GPT tomorrow because it's Modern and I'm pretty confident in the format locally, but it's for Shanghai -_-

I see a lot of Gifts Ungiven being played. Which seemed obvious to me that was going to happen. I hope it's not on a ban radar...

Also, I watched Storm do a turn three win on the SCG Stream today...
the joke is... looks like it needs banned.

I hate how Modern just makes me think of the ban list.

Owen Turtenwald killed someone turn two with infect at the Pro Tour.

y2dvd

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154098506]edit: I was gonna go to a GPT tomorrow because it's Modern and I'm pretty confident in the format locally, but it's for Shanghai -_-

Owen Turtenwald killed someone turn two with infect at the Pro Tour.[/QUOTE]

T1 Land, Glisterner Elf
T2 Land, combination of Groundswell/Might of Krosa and a Mutagenic Growth

Feels so bad yet so good.

Firemind

losing to threatens, volleys and collateral damage. feels bad man. i shouldn't have been too greedy with villaneous wealth... one more turn one more turn... :lol

It's too late to be deck building...

Rhino Dredge

Creatures(22):
  • 4 Satyr Wayfinder
  • 4 Sylvan Caryatid
  • 4 Courser of Kruphix
  • 4 Siege Rhino
  • 3 Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
  • 3 Torrent Elemental

Spells(11):
  • 3 Sultai Charm
  • 4 Murderous Cut
  • 4 Treasure Cruise

Planeswalkers(3):
  • 1 Liliana Vess
  • 2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

Land(24):
  • 1 Mana Confluence
  • 1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
  • 1 Yavimaya Coast
  • 1 Caves of Koilos
  • 2 Sandsteppe Citadel
  • 3 Opulent Palace
  • 2 Temple of Enlightenment
  • 1 Temple of Plenty
  • 2 Evolving Wilds
  • 2 Polluted Delta
  • 2 Windswept Heath
  • 2 Swamp
  • 2 Forest
  • 1 Island
  • 1 Plains

Sideboard(15):
  • 3 Drown in Sorrow
  • 3 Disdainful Stroke
  • 3 Mastery of the Unseen
  • 4 Thoughtseize
  • 2 Back to Nature

Matriox

Saw this on reddit, figured I'd post it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/2xjz1o/dtk_launch_promo_creature_dragon/

aNtsJm2.jpg

Deathbringer Dragonlord (or Reaper Dragonlord ? I don't know its official Eng name)
5BB
Rare
Creature - Dragon
5/6
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, if you cast it from your hand, and there are five or more creatures on the battlefield, then destroy all other creatures.

Not too shabby Imo.

Man I haven't noticed since I've been playing Standard and Modern, but my main LGS lowered their prize support for drafts. Used to be 4-3-2-2, but now it's pack per match win. CFB Game Center is the same prize support.

Guess I won't be playing much Limited anymore unless I go all the way to pacifica :/

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154147697]Man I haven't noticed since I've been playing Standard and Modern, but my main LGS lowered their prize support for drafts. Used to be 4-3-2-2, but now it's pack per match win. CFB Game Center is the same prize support.

Guess I won't be playing much Limited anymore unless I go all the way to pacifica :/[/QUOTE]
Isn't that... 1 more pack in the pool?

Isn't that... 1 more pack in the pool?
Yeah,I guess. I like higher stakes though. If there was a place doing 8-4s I'd probably never go anywhere else. I like the feeling when you win more than the entry. Even when I lose it feels like I was trying for something. Getting your entry back is... Eh.

red13th

Have you seen an actual decklist?

nope, I don't think they showed it, but I remember that besides the usual BG shell (Lily, Goyf, Abrupt Decay, Thoutseize, IoK) it has Thragtusk, Tasigur, Serum Visions, Mana Leak and Cryptic, plus Damnation, Ashiok, Jace AoT off the board.

EDIT: Also saw a Golgari Charm off the board.

nope, I don't think they showed it, but I remember that besides the usual BG shell (Lily, Goyf, Abrupt Decay, Thoutseize, IoK) it has Thragtusk, Tasigur, Serum Visions, Mana Leak and Cryptic, plus Damnation, Ashiok, Jace AoT off the board.

EDIT: Also saw a Golgari Charm off the board.

It's sweet. I could pretty much build it but I don't have Damnation or Goyfs. I think that I only have a single Serum Visions, too.

Hey, it's all cards that need more reprints!

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154152101]Yeah,I guess. I like higher stakes though. If there was a place doing 8-4s I'd probably never go anywhere else. I like the feeling when you win more than the entry. Even when I lose it feels like I was trying for something. Getting your entry back is... Eh.[/QUOTE]

I've said it before, but I believe the ideal draft prize structure is 6-2-2-2 Swiss. The 3-0 gets 6 packs, and the 2-1s each get 2 packs. As long as you get a winning record (regardless of how you order your wins and losses), you get a prize, and the winner gets double his entry fee (essentially). Essentially, it's a "fixed" 4-3-2-2; you have 12 prize packs as God intended, and you don't unnecessarily reward the player who loses in the finals vs the players who happened to get paired against the eventual winner earlier in the draft.

Remember kids, dont get fancy with your Inquisitions of Kozilek.

*reveals blood moon and grapeshot*
I have spell pierce in hand so I take grapeshot.
"Untap, ritual blood moon?"
Scoop city.

red13th

Sultai by Gerard Fabiano

Creatures (11)

3 Snapcaster Mage
4 Tarmogoyf
2 Thragtusk
2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang

Planeswalkers (3)

2 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
1 Jace, Architect of Thought

Lands (24)

1 Forest
2 Island
1 Swamp
2 Breeding Pool
2 Creeping Tar Pit
3 Darkslick Shores
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Polluted Delta
1 Sunken Ruins
3 Verdant Catacombs
1 Watery Grave

Spells (22)

3 Abrupt Decay
2 Cryptic Command
1 Golgari Charm
3 Mana Leak
1 Compulsive Research
2 Damnation
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Maelstrom Pulse
4 Serum Visions
1 Thoughtseize

Sideboard

2 Spellskite
2 Fulminator Mage
1 Sower of Temptation
3 Disfigure
2 Feed the Clan
1 Nature's Claim
1 Vendilion Clique
1 Night of Souls' Betrayal
1 Damnation
1 Thoughtseize

That is a beautiful deck.

Crocodile

Seems Sultai Control won the Modern Open. What did Splinter Twin due to earn cries of "Ban Twin" that is hasn't already done? Did something weird happen in the Top 8?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Seems Sultai Control won the Modern Open. What did Splinter Twin due to earn cries of "Ban Twin" that is hasn't already done? Did something weird happen in the Top 8?

Being everywhere

kirblar

Finished 2nd and 3/4, losing both times to the Sultai deck. Also RUGTwin in 5-8. Made up a quarter of Day 2.

If you're not playing Twin or a deck with a positive matchup against it, you're doing it wrong right now.

OnPoint

Shouldn't we give the meta time to adjust? I remember cries of ban Grisselbrand and True Name in Legacy and it ended up adjusting. I know they are different formats, but maybe instead of rushing to ban things we should find solutions.

Winning Deck List
http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=80617

Creatures (11)

3 Snapcaster Mage
4 Tarmogoyf
2 Thragtusk
2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
Planeswalkers (3)

2 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
1 Jace, Architect of Thought
Lands (24)

1 Forest
2 Island
1 Swamp
2 Breeding Pool
2 Creeping Tar Pit
3 Darkslick Shores
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Polluted Delta
1 Sunken Ruins
3 Verdant Catacombs
1 Watery Grave
Spells (22)

3 Abrupt Decay
2 Cryptic Command
1 Golgari Charm
3 Mana Leak
1 Compulsive Research
2 Damnation
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Maelstrom Pulse
4 Serum Visions
1 Thoughtseize
Sideboard

2 Spellskite
2 Fulminator Mage
1 Sower of Temptation
3 Disfigure
2 Feed the Clan
1 Nature's Claim
1 Vendilion Clique
1 Night of Souls' Betrayal
1 Damnation
1 Thoughtseize

kirblar

Shouldn't we give the meta time to adjust? I remember cries of ban Grisselbrand and True Name in Legacy and it ended up adjusting. I know they are different formats, but maybe instead of rushing to ban things we should find solutions.
It's not a metagame issue. The iincidental nfinite combos coming out of Tempo and Midrange decks were a blatant problem, but fell into the "too many germs trying to get through the door at once" scenario, so WotC let it rock because they're not really interested in a format that's in a good spot, they're more concerned about perception that it's in a good spot. With Pod gone, suddenly the issues/pressures that Twin puts on the format are blatantly on display, and they really should have known that they needed to axe it alongside Pod.

Hero

Finished 2nd and 3/4, losing both times to the Sultai deck. Also RUGTwin in 5-8. Made up a quarter of Day 2.

If you're not playing Twin or a deck with a positive matchup against it, you're doing it wrong right now.

It seems people are still under the misconception that you don't have to be in the best deck to get banned. Twin is absolutely metagame warping and deserves to go.

Twin was the only deck I lost to in the GPT :(

Kept two lands, two bogles two daybreaks on six and never found another aura lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154205927]Twin was the only deck I lost to in the GPT :(

Kept two lands, two bogles two daybreaks on six and never found another aura lol[/QUOTE]

Isn't Bogles even worse than it was when Cruise was legal now that Liliana is back as a big force?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom