• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

They want to force you go green for that effect. They don't want the colorless options to be more efficient than the colored ones here. We've seen Bant control decks recently play Farseek specifically to ramp into Supreme Verdict, so their goal is working

2cc Rock into a 4cc Wrath has been a traditional play in a number of previous standard formats.

A) If my memory is correct those lists ALL had 4 Thragtusk in them right? That's my point, the deck would never have run Green just for Farseek but because it also had some Green cards (main or side) that it actually wanted to cast. If there was no Thragtusk incentive, they wouldn't have played Farseek even if the later was the more important of the cards - adding the third color wouldn't be worth it if you could get that investment back (which Thragtusk really helps to do).

Furthermore, Farseek fixes better than any mana rock in a format with shocklands. Lotus Cobra in a format with fetchlands isn't going to be outdone by any mana rock either. Elves and Birds are preferable to mana rocks in any deck that can take advantage of the increased creature count. Sylvan Caryatid has been seeing less play recently but it can still block like a champ - something a man rock can never do. Cards like Cultivate and Kodama's Reach are card advantage cards straight up (even if they are slower rampers). Like if 2 CMC mana rocks are better than the absolute worst of Green ramp cards, I can't really shed a tear - the best Green ramp cards aren't going to pushed out of any format by halfway decent mana rocks.

I'm also just really fucking tired of seeing 3 CMC mana rocks. I don't want to play them in limited, they are almost all worthless on constructed, I don't want to put them in any of my casual decks or Cubes, etc. The cards are worthless and take space and make me want to go on John Olivier-esque rants whenever I see them. Here's how to design a mana rock that I will actually give a shit about:

Dragon's Rock (2)
Uncommon
Dragon's Rock ETB
Tap: Add one colorless mana to your mana pool
Tap: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Use this only to cast Dragon spells and activate abilities of Dragons.

You'd obviously have to test it with the midrange/control decks in mind in FFL (as opposed to just throw it into current Standard willy nilly) but at least it would be a card I'd be interested that could contribute to an fun/interesting standard as long as they were designing with card in mind from the start.

B) Oh I thought you meant current standard as opposed to just Magic's history. My bad. Sure, yeah that was a thing.

red13th

They need to show Sarkhan, I'm going crazy waiting.
re: mana rocks, I'd love if they made a 3cc Mind Stone that tapped for any colour of mana.

3CC + a bonus isn't though. Absorb was f'n amazing back in the day.

Oh sure. Absorb, Exclude, heck - even Dissolve is really good. They're kinda in a sweet spot right now where they're pretty good at printing 2CC limited counters and 3CC counters with upside.

They haven't gotten there with mana rocks yet. I guess the closest thing to a 2CC mana rock with a downside is Sphere of the Suns, but even that is really good. And none of their latest attempts to make 3CC rocks with upside have been playable.

Yeef

They haven't gotten there with mana rocks yet. I guess the closest thing to a 2CC mana rock with a downside is Sphere of the Suns, but even that is really good. And none of their latest attempts to make 3CC rocks with upside have been playable.
From a limited perspective, the keyrunes were really good 3-drop mana rocks with upside. Obviously some were better than others.

From a constructed perspective, I don't think they want mana rocks to be anything more than fringe playable in most standard formats. They want people to splash green (or red, to a much lesser degree) for ramp.

Matriox

The first command was pretty mediocre though. I mean, I guess its okay if UW control ends up being a thing.

The issue I keep running into with the Uw command is Scatter Arc is better and saw 0 play.. Sure the command has flexibility but only creatures for the counter? Guess I'll have to wait and see..

Edit: 4 life just doesn't seem like enough considering there's that 10 health with ferocious one most are jamming 1 of 2 of in sideboards. Then control doesn't really utilize the last ability unless wall of omens gets reprinted.

The issue I keep running into with the Uw command is Scatter Arc is better and saw 0 play.. Sure the command has flexibility but only creatures for the counter? Guess I'll have to wait and see..

Edit: 4 life just doesn't seem like enough considering there's that 10 health with ferocious one most are jamming 1 of 2 of in sideboards. Then control doesn't really utilize the last ability unless wall of omens gets reprinted.

Scatter Arc countered noncreature spells. The command counters creature spells.

Silumgar's Command prediction:

• Target player puts the top eight cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
  • Target player discards a card.
  • Put target card in a graveyard on top of its owner's library.
  • Exile the top three cards of target player's library. You may cast those cards as long as they remain in exile.

Last two might be busted.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem is that Ojutai Command does 2 things, but they're all kind of sub-optimal.

Would have preferred they pushed it and made the colored mana requirements a little tighter.

ElyrionX

So some guy started selling fakes (quite publicly) in my country by calling them proxies. It's a small country and hence a relatively isolated market and fakes leaking into the local market is a very scary prospect. Apparently these are very high quality fakes and even very experienced traders have a hard time telling them apart.

WoTC needs to take strong decisive action against these guys. It undermines a core aspect of the whole hobby.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So some guy started selling fakes (quite publicly) in my country by calling them proxies. It's a small country and hence a relatively isolated market and fakes leaking into the local market is a very scary prospect. Apparently these are very high quality fakes and even very experienced traders have a hard time telling them apart.

WoTC needs to take strong decisive action against these guys. It undermines a core aspect of the whole hobby.

They put the little foily things on

I mean, every time people have talked about fakes like this before, they've proven to be easily distinguishable with close examination. I don't think anyone's demonstrated the ability to roll out fakes that seriously taint the card pool yet.

ElyrionX

I mean, every time people have talked about fakes like this before, they've proven to be easily distinguishable with close examination. I don't think anyone's demonstrated the ability to roll out fakes that seriously taint the card pool yet.

They are only distinguishable if you are actively looking for it and know what to look for. The average player likely won't know the difference. Like I said, traders/dealers with years of experience that I have spoken to have a hard time picking them apart.

ElyrionX

There isn't anything they can do other than go back in time and put the foily things on

They can take action against the players who openly peddle these things like this one guy in my country who is doing it. People have even put up the personal details of the guy who is doing it on the local MTG forum.

Angry Grimace

They can take action against the players who openly peddle these things like this one guy in my country who is doing it. People have even put up the personal details of the guy who is doing it on the local MTG forum.

They have questionable authority and resources to go after counterfeiters in other countries.

Thought this was hilarious:

LtQqGM5.jpg

jsdh4Mo.jpg

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Have they announced whether they are printing all new Planeswalkers in Magic Origins? It seems like it's only natural, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

Angry Grimace

Have they announced whether they are printing all new Planeswalkers in Magic Origins? It seems like it's only natural, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

No, you'll get some kind of news at PAX East this weekend though.

Angry Grimace

Kolagan_Senora_Dragon.png

Dragonlord Kolaghan

4RB 6/5
Flying, Haste
Other creatures you control have haste.
Whenever an opponent casts a creature or planeswalker spell with the same name as a card in their graveyard, that player loses 10 life.

Angry Grimace

Seems like its worse than Kolaghan Prime to me. Giving your creatures haste is kind of whatever when you cost 6 to begin with.

Angry Grimace

If anyone speaks Spanish that would be nice - we aren't sure if it says YOUR or THEIR graveyard - I'm getting from some people that it apparently says "casts a spell in their graveyard"

y2dvd

It would make so much more sense if it was their graveyard. Mainboarding 4 Thoughtseizes and side boarding in 4 Duress and this dragon lol.

Angry Grimace

It would make so much more sense if it was their graveyard. Mainboarding 4 Thoughtseizes and side boarding in 4 Duress and this dragon lol.

It is in fact, "whenever opponent casts a spell with same name as a card in their graveyard."

"su" as a possessive is ambiguous so MTG cards apparently always say "tu" to say "your."

You have to admit it is HILARIOUS how poorly this Elder Dragon's ability works in Elder Dragon Highlander.

Toxi

Banned
You have to admit it is HILARIOUS how poorly this Elder Dragon's ability works in Elder Dragon Highlander.
Seriously. This is almost Mishra levels of silly.

Really disappointed because I was looking forward to the RB dragonlord as a flashy RB commander. I like Haste, but I prefer something more interesting.

Angry Grimace

Seriously. This is almost Mishra levels of silly.

Really disappointed because I was looking forward to the RB dragonlord as a flashy RB commander.

Unfortunately, Kologhan Prime is probably just as narrow given he mostly has Dragon-tribal synergy.

WotC shouldn't be responsible for ensuring every single legend ever printed is a good fit for the format (especially given how much a lot of Commander players howl and whine when WotC tries to design for the format) but it is kind of hilariously unworkable, yes.

Young Kolaghan is probably the best of the FRF five in EDH, though, so it evens out.

Angry Grimace

WotC shouldn't be responsible for ensuring every single legend ever printed is a good fit for the format (especially given how much a lot of Commander players howl and whine when WotC tries to design for the format) but it is kind of hilariously unworkable, yes.

Young Kolaghan is probably the best of the FRF five in EDH, though, so it evens out.

They certainly don't, but its funny when an "Elder Dragon" is so specifically bad in the format named "Elder Dragon Highlander."

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154527721]Creature or planeswalker, anyway. This card would be hilarious if it turned off downfalls and dissolves.[/QUOTE]

I mean it would be dumb-broken yeah.

kirblar

With the decks being a yearly thing now, they aren't specifically targeting legends for Commander in standard sets other than making sure they aren't obviously stupid.

Toxi

Banned

I wouldn't be so annoyed if it weren't an Elder Dragon in my favorite color combination. I guess this is how UB fans feel when half their shit is mill.

Oh well, young Kolaghan's at least pretty fun.

Angry Grimace

I rather wonder if you could play a Mardu Dragons deck to use Crux of Fate naming non-dragons to wipe your opponents board and then alpha strike them for the win.

Crocodile

No, you'll get some kind of news at PAX East this weekend though.

Magic Panel is this Friday at 3pm. It will be streamed but if you can't watch I'm sure Twitter will have all the info you'll need.

Dragonlord Kolaghan

4RB 6/5
Flying, Haste
Other creatures you control have haste.
Whenever an opponent casts a creature or planeswalker spell with the same name as a card in their graveyard, that player loses 10 life.

Weird. I wonder what strategy were they trying to hose with that last line (similar to how the last line on Anafenza was clearly to hose Whip decks and other similar strategies).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom