• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the decks being a yearly thing now, they aren't specifically targeting legends for Commander in standard sets other than making sure they aren't obviously stupid.

If that were true across the board we wouldn't have legends like Alesha or Jalira in recent sets. :p But yes, the pressure to target Commander exclusively is certainly reduced considerably.

Firemind

Young Kolaghan is probably the best of the FRF five in EDH, though, so it evens out.
Hello, Atarka? Give all your dragons double strike? Deal 21 commander damage with Atarka? If it didn't look like a lizard with antlers, I'd have definitely built an Atarka EDH and relive the glory days of Fires of Yavimaya.

ElyrionX

Won my first ever WNM. Went 3-0 with my Twin deck today. It's only like my fifth time ever playing this deck but I did get lucky. Met two rogue decks, one of which was a strange green-ramp land-de deck that tries to cheat Emrakul into play with Tooth and Nail. He got greedy game one and casted two Fertile Ground on a Forest. I proceeded to Cryptic bounce that Forest. I love Cryptic Command. Did I tell you guys that? Cryptic Command is the best.

Round three, I met a Rakdos Aristocrat deck. I boarded very very poorly in that match and was probably lucky to have won through Exarch beatdowns and finishing with Bolt-Snap-Bolt game three.

After going through most of the viable decks in the Jeskai colors, I think I have finally settled on Twin. I play a controlling version of it with 3 Cryptics, 2 Leaks, 1 Snare, 1 Peek and 2 Spellskites main. The mana base is so good. So easy and so much less clunky than Jeskai which lets me play three copies of Cryptic Command. Did I mention that I love Cryptic Command?

Though I know señora can mean other things, I find it amusing that the new Kolaghan card is "Kolaghan, Mrs. Dragon".

Anyway, the last part is clearly meant to hose four-of creatures in decks. Unfortunately, while 6 haste flying for 6 is good, I don't think she'll see enough constructed play for that part to be relevant. At least she'll put in good work in casual duels.

Matriox

en_Q21slVTGSa.png

Well there she is.

She's clearly a Domri analog; I guess they were (reasonably) more afraid of the control deck drawing cards than the creature deck drawing cards, so they made her 4 instead of 3.

These Megamorph cards are straight garbage...

The blue, green, and red ones seem reasonable from a Limited perspective. The white and black ones seem stone unplayable (I guess the white one clocks pretty good if your opponent doesn't have blockers, but there are going to be real dragons all over the place I think).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Current Jace is super fat as well - its to make up for them not being able to defend themselves well at all.

Story seems to indicate we'll see a UWR Narset walker again down the line.

If and when she shows up again, I bet you she's Izzet.

You can only play one ability of planewalker per turn right?

Unless you are playing the Chain Veil =V

Kacar

She seems great. Biggest issue is the -2 is pretty worthless on the turn you cast it unless you got mega mana, or dig and cruise I guess if graveyard is stocked.

Pretty cool card.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The thing is, I'm not sure she's a great control card - I think she's custom built to enable Prowess.

I don't know that "you have a 50/50 chance to draw a card" is a great use of 4 mana in a traditional draw go, and in control her -2 is basically just double-Treasure Cruise or Dig, since Rebounding anything else just seems cute. I just don't know that the kind of control deck you guys are thinking about really wants to tap out on turn 4 to cast something that has a 50% chance of doing anything.

y2dvd

She seems great. Biggest issue is the -2 is pretty worthless on the turn you cast it unless you got mega mana, or dig and cruise I guess if graveyard is stocked.

Pretty cool card.

Umm, you're playing her in control. You're going to have a lot of mana lol. And you will probably be able to -2 into Treasure Cruise consistently. Now the question is whether to go U/W, U/W/R, U/W/B, or if U/B is still the way to go.

I dunno. It's a ton of loyalty, but how good is that plus on turn 4? Domri was great because he came down early enough to set up the rest of the game. And the minus ability is cool, but how many proactive spells are there unless you're dipping into Jeskai or Esper? I mean, Jace's Ingenuity/dig through time would be great with it.

And I guess it's a lock out with doubling season lol

I'm interested, but not completely sold yet.

Toxi

Banned
Narset can't protect herself, so she's gotta rely on her big booty to survive. Both her first two abilities are really powerful, but she seems like a risky card that's very creature reliant to work.

Obviously, you are never getting off her ultimate.

Though based on my previous history of judging cards ("Sidisi's gonna be terrible!"), I'm most likely completely wrong and she'll be amazing. My disapproval is like a seal of quality. :p

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154570690]I dunno. It's a ton of loyalty, but how good is that plus on turn 4? Domri was great because he came down early enough to set up the rest of the game. And the minus ability is cool, but how many proactive spells are there unless you're dipping into Jeskai or Esper? I mean, Jace's Ingenuity/dig through time would be great with it.

And I guess it's a lock out with doubling season lol

I'm interested, but not completely sold yet.[/QUOTE]

U/W or Jeskai, really. The reason being that Esper isn't going to be a legitimate combination. The mana is not good enough for three color control.

U/W Prowess or Jeskai Prowess, imo

So some sort of Mentor deck? I guess this does come down right after. But the chance of drawing anything is gonna be a lot less than 50% in that deck. Probably closer to 35-40% at best, but you could get ~55% in a creatureless control deck. Which is, meh.

But do you even want a 4-mana spell that at worst is 40% to cycle before dying in a prowess deck? That turn seems too important to risk all your prowess dudes, I don't think the upside is there. You'd probably be better off going with Distortion Strike or whatever equivalent cheap rebounders get printed.

Obviously, you are never getting off her ultimate.
Sideboard card in modern doubling season combo :)

Angry Grimace

Yes, she does powerful things. No, that doesn't necessarily mean she's playable. She's really tricky to evaluate.

-2, cast Temporal Trespass. The world's cutest tech.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154571884]So some sort of Mentor deck? I guess this does come down right after. But the chance of drawing anything is gonna be a lot less than 50% in that deck. Probably closer to 35-40% at best, but you could get ~55% in a creatureless control deck. Which is, meh.

But do you even want a 4-mana spell that at worst is 40% to cycle before dying in a prowess deck? That turn seems too important to risk all your prowess dudes, I don't think the upside is there. You'd probably be better off going with Distortion Strike or whatever equivalent cheap rebounders get printed.[/QUOTE]

Mentor decks are probably running Seeker and Mentor as their only real creatures and everything else being token generators for spells. New Sorcery goblin maker, Raise the Alarm, Hordeling Outburst.

I'd love to hear an argument for this card in control, but right now, white just seems so much worse than black.

Angry Grimace

He gives this many fucks

Umm, you're playing her in control. You're going to have a lot of mana lol. And you will probably be able to -2 into Treasure Cruise consistently. Now the question is whether to go U/W, U/W/R, U/W/B, or if U/B is still the way to go.

She's not even good in control.

Angry Grimace

All we need is something good at 3 CMC and I'm totally running B/R Dragons with the Dragonlord Servant, ???, Regent, Stormbreath.

Firemind

I nominate Bant. Satyr Wayfinders, DTTs, TCs, Wraths, Ugin.

OnPoint

I'm gonna be tooling my Modern Polymorph list and I think she might be good in that. I think she's pretty good. Probably not best ever but she warrants testing for sure.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154574593]Isn't the Regent your turn three play? It seems to me that it's finally Generator Servant's time to shine.[/QUOTE]

In Christmasland, sure.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154576084]Christmasland? I mean, isn't pumping out Dragons as early as possible the whole point? It's pretty reasonable with 8 mana dorks. I could see another 4-mana dragon or two getting printed this set, but three mana starts to get sketchy. Unless it's Dragon Egg.[/QUOTE]

What I'm saying is you still need three drops of some kind. I mean I guess Rabblemaster or the Flamewake Pheonix.

Firemind

Why do all the Regents have different art? The red one is a Game Day promo, but the rest? Now I have to collect even more dragons. Gotta catch 'em all.

And apparently Ojutai's Command as well.

Crocodile

A) Hard to make heads or tails of Narset. Sick art though. I hope we see more of her in the future. Also doesn't Temporal Tresspass exile itself preventing the rebound?

B) I hope Scaleguard Sentinels is a cycle, card is sweet. The problem with Giant tribal (aside from the fact that most of the cards sucked) is that pretty much all the good cards were 4+ CMC. If we aren't going to get playable dragons at CMC 3 or less (though I'd still like to see them), lots of cards like Sentinels are needed.

C)
Dragon Fodder still looks anemic next to Raise the Alarm. It's still going to see constructed play probably though.

D) Megamorph cycle is all fine in limited. Black one is especially good at buying you time in defensive decks since regen is so cheap. Also doublestrike is always dangerous if there are any good pump effects.

What I'm saying is you still need three drops of some kind. I mean I guess Rabblemaster or the Flamewake Pheonix.

Sure, but if you're actually building a tribal ramp deck three is definitely the slot you can skimp on.

Speaking of dragons, that tribal 3/4 for two mana is kinda crazy. If anything, I'm excited for that card.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154577047]Sure, but if you're actually building a tribal ramp deck three is definitely the slot you can skimp on.

Speaking of dragons, that tribal 3/4 for two mana is kinda crazy. If anything, I'm excited for that card.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure there won't be a 3 drop dragon, but there could be a three drop Dragon enabler.

To your second point, why? I can't really think of a scenario where I'd rather play that than Heir of the Wilds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom