• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154577296]I would be shocked if Dragon Egg wasn't in this set.

It eats fleecemane and 1-goblin rabble?[/QUOTE]

You also have to play a GR Dragons deck to play it.

Firemind

LOL @ Ojutai's art

cardart_qGAf84f3y3.jpg
Damn, son. Ojutai is a bawss.

cardart_DMDSj4ityY.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up sucking.

Link to the Uncharted Realms story with Narset. Interesting how it portrays her as clearly having a social disorder. I was surprised that Ojutai was OK with Narset learning the truth about the khans, but I suppose it's because it doesn't seem like she intends to do anything with that information (due to her lack of red). I'm guessing that Sarkhan and Ugin will spur her to take action, though.

Concerning Marang River Skeleton, I find it cute that it costs 4 mana to turn up, and thus will die to a face down creature as the 5 mana rule now requires, but if you pay the regeneration cost, thus paying 5 mana total, it survives.

I totally called a Dragon Fodder reprint, though again, I didn't post about it. I'm surprised to see Dragonlord's Servant as a 1/3.

EDIT: Also, the above art demonstrates another example of 1280 years causing handedness to inexplicably change (see Pilgrim of the Fires / Witness of the Ages).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Link to the Uncharted Realms story with Narset. Interesting how it portrays her as clearly having a social disorder. I was surprised that Ojutai was OK with Narset learning the truth about the khans, but I suppose it's because it doesn't seem like she intends to do anything with that information (due to her lack of red). I'm guessing that Sarkhan and Ugin will spur her to take action, though.

Concerning Marang River Skeleton, I find it cute that it costs 4 mana to turn up, and thus will die to a face down creature as the 5 mana rule now requires, but if you pay the regeneration cost, thus paying 5 mana total, it survives.

I totally called a Dragon Fodder reprint, though again, I didn't post about it. I'm surprised to see Dragonlord's Servant as a 1/3.

Sarkhan's gonna show her a whole newwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww world

no, seriously, he's literally gonna do that

Narset has ADHD. It's why the red isn't going to be supressed permanently.

This is probably my lack of understanding, but isn't a big part of ADHD the inability to focus on one task for very long? Narset was able to focus on one thing just fine, but her problem is that once she completed her task, she has to do something else.

kirblar

This is probably my lack of understanding, but isn't a big part of ADHD the inability to focus on one task for very long? Narset was able to focus on one thing just fine, but her problem is that once she completed her task, she has to do something else.
The meditation's keeping that in check for her. I think the difference between the two is that as UWR Narset she was content with the leadership position. As UW, she's filled with wanderlust.

Firemind

I don't get why she's white from these snippets. She sounds like one crazy lady. Then again, I didn't understand why Venser is white when Shaper Savant shows how he was before his ascension.

Angry Grimace

I don't get why she's white from these snippets. She sounds like one crazy lady. Then again, I didn't understand why Venser is white when Shaper Savant shows how he was before his ascension.

So basically Sarkhan's waifu

I want to build a Commander deck with Planeswalker Narset as the Commander.

I wouldn't even play the Time Warp effects because that's too much like cheating, but there must be a whole host of great UW stuff to Rebound.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I want to build a Commander deck with Planeswalker Narset as the Commander.

I wouldn't even play the Time Warp effects because that's too much like cheating, but there must be a whole host of great UW stuff to Rebound.

Hell, she slots pretty well into my friend's current Narset deck as just a PW

Angry Grimace

The numbers suggest there are no non-basic lands after Evolving Wilds, btw. Enemy Fetchlands or not (likely not), it seems odd they'd have another multicolor set with that small of an amount of fixing, unless they think the presumptive Dragon Rocks + Evolving Wilds + FRF refuges are enough. Which they might be if people really do stick to 2-color combos in limited.

kirblar

The numbers suggest there are no non-basic lands after Evolving Wilds, btw.

Enemy Fetchlands or not (likely not), it seems odd they'd have another multicolor set with that small of an amount of fixing.
It appears we'll likely have a cycle w/ a naming convention like the Temples in Theros block.

Enemy Fetches were always a pipe dream.

Angry Grimace

It appears we'll likely have a cycle w/ a naming convention like the Temples in Theros block.

Enemy Fetches were always a pipe dream.

Meh, I'm fine with my deck having 4 shuffle lands. 8 seems excessive, particularly when they fetch basics because there's nothing else to fetch. Just hold them for the Spring set next year or whenever.

Whatever, I already got my Marsh Flats for my tokens deck anyways. Even assuming they got reprinted, they'd only be like $10 less than they are now.

Angry Grimace

lmao @ Narset up for SCG preorder at FORTY-FIVE UNITED STATES DOLLARS

That's right, because she sold out at 30, 35 and 40. FFS people.

Also seriously, would just overhauling the MTGO client (keeping all of the game management back-end intact) really cost them that much more then these yearly Duels games are costing them?

Duels is a marketing expense, MTGO is an income-generating product. Just because they're both digital versions of Magic doesn't mean they serve the same purpose or even get funded out of the same pool.

Hasbro at some level recognizes the underlying problem with MTGO and announced that they are doubling its budget this year. The underlying problems are hard to fix with money, though: they don't pay or otherwise treat tech employees well enough to get rockstars, and as a result they have a B-list Microsoft architecture that doesn't translate well to multi-platform or make the client easy to maintain. Plus I imagine there's a level of sunk cost fallacy -- they rolled out this V4 client and haven't even gotten it to be good yet, so the idea of starting over seems terrible even though it's actually the right call.

I think if you had a visionary person who understands the digital game space well in charge of that project today they could probably upend some tables and get MTGO on a better foot going forward, but....

Angry Grimace

I think both U/W cards are massively overrated so far.

I seriously want someone to tell me how Narset is a control card. None of her abilities do anything that I would want to do as a control deck beyond rolling the dice at 60% that I'm getting to draw a card, which is pretty bad.

It gives you rebound on whatever instant/sorcery you want. I don't see how her worth wouldn't be self-evident.

Which is awesome if you a) have an awesome sorcery in hand and b) enough mana to cast said sorcery (you can use an instant but you have to cast it on your turn a la a Sorcery). She's a permanent that doesn't do anything on her own.

kirblar

I seriously want someone to tell me how Narset is a control card. None of her abilities do anything that I would want to do as a control deck beyond rolling the dice at 60% that I'm getting to draw a card, which is pretty bad.
She helps put the game away. The issue is that you have to tap out to play her, and she's vulnerable to removal, AND you have Dig Through Time already.

Are you referring to the Command as the other one?
I am. It seems good in a U/W/x tempo deck in certain matchups, but otherwise a deck lacking the ability to use the reanimate ability is not going to want it.

Didn't see this posted earlier. One of the Arcana articles accidentally posted the wrong promo. This is the dragon you can get from the dumb dice rolling minigame:

en_bHeaDo0uly.png

Fortunately, none of the cards from that game are good.

Angry Grimace

She helps put the game away. The issue is that you have to tap out to play her, and she's vulnerable to removal, AND you have Dig Through Time already.

I am. It seems good in a U/W/x tempo deck in certain matchups, but otherwise a deck lacking the ability to use the reanimate ability is not going to want it.

She helps to put the game away if you happen to already have something else that actually does put the game away.

Her plus ability is basically rolling the dice at about 60% that you draw a card, which you need to hit on twice to make Narset a plus in card advantage (since Narset herself costs a card) and rebound ability is mostly just cute with blue or white spells. You don't have access to Hero's Downfall or Thoughtseize in U/W, so those are out and white's removal suite is all either conditional (Valorous Stance, Devouring Light - you can't even rebound Devouring Light) or is an un-reboundable enchantments.

You can rebound Treasure Cruise, sure, but you also have nothing to reliably fuel a big Delve spell in U/W (plus you have to do it on your turn). The mana simply isn't good enough to run Esper, either.

Card is incredibly overrated, imo.

Firemind

It'd be playable if it countered ANY spell, since it'd basically be Dismiss with upside, but paying four mana for a Remove Soul + Healing Salve or Whispers of the Muse is... eh.

Angry Grimace

People are only talking about Ojutai's Command because of Snapcaster Mage. If that card didn't exist, it wouldn't be nearly so hyped.

Which itself is only good if you have enough mana to cast whatever you're flashing back and already have a Snapcaster Mage in the GY. That seems pretty narrow to me.

lol Ivan trying to convince me that Narset is good because you can Dragon Fodder -> Outburst -> Narset, rebound Stoke the Flames.

It's like, I know these things are possible, but come on.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154612249]lol Ivan trying to convince me that Narset is good because you can Dragon Fodder -> Outburst -> Narset, rebound Stoke the Flames.

It's like, I know these things are possible, but come on.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't it be better to just cast Jeskai Ascendancy?

f0rk

I wonder if it's deliberate that they made Narset UW but she still looks to play best with red spells at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom