• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Narset, Planeswalker will be really awesome in Narset EDH. So there's that.

Narset PW sounds like fun in a Before & After deck with Narset, Enlightened Master where everything in the deck is burn spells and Temporal Trespass or something.

Apeopleman

After work, I decided to head to a shop to play in a Standard local with this list, expecting alot of blue white mentor/stormbreathe with chained to the rocks, jeskai aggro, and aggro decks in general. I did not expect to see many control decks.

4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Voyaging Satyr
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Polukranos, World Eater
4 Whisperwood Elemental
4 Hornet Queen
3 Nissa, Worldwaker
3 Genesis Hydra
2 See the Unwritten
4 Nykthos, Shrine to nix
19 Forest
1 Darksteel Citadel (cheeky combo with Nissa for a very slight consistency drop)

Side: 3 Reclamation Sage
2 Back to Nature
4 Nyleas Disciple
2 Hornets Nest
4 Arbor Colossus

Upon arrival, I find out that there is in fact a GPTQ, where the winner receives 2 first round bye's at the Grand Prix in a few months. I have mixed feelings as I know I will probably get home around 1 and have to be up early for work the next day, but also excited to get that competitive, grindy feeling and real tournament experience.

Round 1: Blue Black control featuring Ugin

The one deck that I dread. In testing, it is almost an automatic scoop. My only real shot at this is to poke them with my mystics and satyrs, wait for them to drop a wipe or spend mana, and drop a bomb.

Game 1 was terrible. Everything I did met either a disdainful stroke, dispel, heroes downfall, or negate. He summoned Ugin, and beat me to death.

Game 2: He got mana screwed, I spammed him to death.

Game 3: Same as game 1, except he had thoughsieze.

Round 2: (drum roll please) Blue Black control!

It seemed to be a newer player, and I took it 2-0.

Round 3: Jeskai?

Once I saw the jeskai tri land, I instantly let out a YES in my head. The deck I was expected, and had a not bad matchup.

Game 1: He stuck a Mantis Strider and goblins, and overwhelmed me.

Game 2: I pummeled him with Nissa and spammed the board.

Game 3: He sided out into a more controlly deck, and Elspeth was my downfall.

Round 4: BUG combo. He used Chromanicore with a black creature that gets abilities of the creatures you delve.

I took it in 3 games by spamming the board.

Round 5: BUG planeswalkers featuring Kiora, Ugin, and Garruk Apex Predator.

Game 1: I failed to put presence on, he ultimated Kiora and got an Ugin out.

Game 2: I spammed creatures and he couldn't answer them; failing to find mana to cast a possible krux of fate gave me this game.

Game 3: He has 7 points at 2-1-1. I have 6 at 2-2. I realize I may sneak in as the lone 3-2 if I win , and he definitely gets in at 3-1-1 if he wins.

I played really well at first, but he answered threats with disdainful stroke, heroes downfall, and kiora's plus ability. I had him on the ropes; one more attack did it. He had about 3 cards in hand. 7 mana. I have hornet queen and all my tokens on board ready to finish him next turn. He plays a fetch, and says "THANK YOU BASIC LAND", puts his mana at 8, and summons my mortal enemy of the night; Ugin. He uses his minus to get rid of my tokens. Then picks off my queen with the plus next turn, and ultimates his Kiora. I was really happy for him; he deserved it. Him and another were playing for the byes and I wished him luck.

Thoughts on deck: Wayyy too many Queens at 4. I will cut to 2.

Sylvan Caryatid was awful all day; it just sat there when It could have been a low drop poking at life. I sided it out almost every match for arbor colossus for another beater. I also just realized that I can put in a Nissa off of a Genesis Hydra. Big face palm for me.

Revised Decklist that I will take with me to PPTQ this Sunday:

4 Elvish Mystic
4 Voyaging Satyr
4 Polukranos
4 Courser
4 Whisperwood
2 Nissa
2 Hornet Queen
2 Setessan Tactics
4 Genisis Hydra
2 Sylvan Caryatid
20 forest
4 Nykthos

Side:
2 Reclamation Sage
1 Nissa
2 Arbor Colossus
4 Nyleas Disciple
4 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Hornets Nest

Thought Process behind this list:

I saw a few pages back that people called Abzan beastmaster a bad card. I disagree respectully. He is great against control if he sticks even one upkeep. He's an auto draw against control, and he is easy to meet criteria with in this deck with courser and polukranos.

Mistcutter must be at 4 in the side. I don't want to scoop to control, even if it is my worst matchup. It's a huge problem, and they have to use their black section (heroes downfall/crux to deal with it). This is my ace in the hole.

Setessan Tactics is great for removal, or to suprise the opponent for a bigger swing. Versatile and cheap.

As always, I'm open to contstructive criticisms, and appreciate any given.

Final Thoughts: It was discouraging for me that my wins were against lackluster draws. When I lost, I lost bad. But with that said, I love this game and I'm going to keep playing to get better. This game has a high learning curve, I still don't know all the technical rules, don't know 100% of the cards, but I'm in this now, and my goal is 2nd: to get better, and 1st: to have fun.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Temporal Trespass works with Rebound.

Edit: We had this discussion earlier and concluded it did, but looking at Cast Through Time's gatherer ruling, it actually seems as though it wouldn't.

6/15/2010 If a spell moves itself into another zone as part of its resolution (as Arc Blade, All Suns' Dawn, and Beacon of Unrest do), rebound won't get a chance to apply.

Guess on Zurgo, Bellstriker:

Zurgo, Bellstriker - 3R
Legendary Creature - Orc Warrior
Dash R
Defender
Tap: Add RR to your mana pool. Spend this mana only on creature spells. Those creature spells gain haste and each is returned from the battlefield to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step.
4/4

OnPoint

We've seen Sarkhan packaging that looks like PW art.

This is Sarkhan's story.

We already got a sweet one in Ugin.

Why are people still hoping for a Bolas? I'll be shocked by it if it happens.

Angry Grimace

Zurgo Bellstriker
R

If a Planeswalker named Narset Transcendent or a Planeswalker named Sarkhan the Dragonspeaker would enter the battlefield, exile Zurgo Bellstriker.

"Fuck that guy."

1/1

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Zurgo, Bellstriker
1R
Whenever a creature you control enters the battlefield, Zurgo, Bellstriker deals 2 damage to target player or creature.
2/3
"I'm really bad at designing balanced cards"

Actual prediction:

Zurgo Bellstriker (2)(R)
Legendary creature - Orc Warrior
When ~ Enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a Dragon card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
2RR,T: You may put a Dragon card from your hand onto the battlefield. Use this ability only as a sorcery.
2/1

Joe Molotov

Zurgo, Bellstriker (2)(R)(W)
Defender
Zurgo, Bellstriker has indestructible as long as it's your opponent's turn.
Whenever a creature that deals damage to Zurgo, Bellstriker this turn dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Zurgo Helmsmasher.
2/7

Angry Grimace

Defender
Whenever a creature that deals damage to Zurgo, Bellstriker this turn dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Zurgo Helmsmasher.
2/7

The third ability doesn't do anything unless you are playing both Zurgo at the same time =D

Defender
2/7

Zurgo's not the angry rush dude anymore, he's the sissy call the dragons dude.

Yeef

new Evolving Wilds by Noah Bradley, straight into my cube. old Evolving Wilds other than the FNM foil look terrible.
I always liked the Dark Ascension Evolving Wilds, but this one beats it. (But I'm also too lazy to change cards in a cube just for art's sake unless I'm doing other changes at the same time).

red13th

I always liked the Dark Ascension Evolving Wilds, but this one beats it. (But I'm also too lazy to change cards in a cube just for art's sake unless I'm doing other changes at the same time).

DKA is okay. I'm not as OCD about art as I am about modern frames, language and non-foilness but I'll happily make a trade if new art becomes available! I actually just got a new Oblivion Ring (melting dragon) because the old one I had (headache dude) sucked. Looking forward to a new (modern frame) Disenchant.

Risen_Executioner_MetagameIT_20150305.png

Risen Executioner
Creature - Zombie Warrior
Risen Executioner can't block.
Other Zombie creatures you control get +1/+1.
You may cast Risen Executioner from your graveyard if you pay an additional (1) for each other creature card in your graveyard.

Now if only there was a way to get excess creature cards out of your graveyard... >_>

Angry Grimace

Risen Executioner
You may cast Risen Executioner from your graveyard if you pay an additional (1) for each other creature card in your graveyard.

Now if only there was a way to get excess creature cards out of your graveyard... >_>

Too bad about that Sidisi nonbo.

Angry Grimace

I mean, its good, but is it mythic good?

With that said, its pretty crazy how much synergy they've built around Delve in various forms.

Sure. Its assholish in draft since you can never get rid of it for long so long (and FRF is last, so you'll probably dig around for Delve stuff to keep his recast cost down).

I'm guessing the "exploit" is recasting him after using an Exploit ability, e.g. Sidisi-2 (who is also a Zombie). In fact, both of the Exploit cards we've seen were zombies.

Narset is autistic? I guess I'll have to read her story.

Yeah, something like that, confirmed here:
hi doug!! reading the new uncharted realms, i felt an enormous amount of sympathy for narset, specifically with reference to the beginning sequence with her as a kid. the restlessness, the sensory overload, the self-distraction with counting and observation - these, to me, heavily code narset as being autistic. i am autistic myself and it would mean the absolute world to me to know that a character in a game i care deeply about is like me, and many other folks. is this something you can confirm?
swordsagainstdeath

That was the intent, yes. The most important part of Narset’s character is her amazing mind, which is central to her potential as a powerful Planeswalker and as a pursuer of knowledge — but it happens that she processes information and input differently than a lot of other people. Tarkir denizens might not have a term for the autism spectrum or being neurodivergent or neuro-atypical, but those terms would correctly describe her. In this timeline she is not khan of the Jeskai, but no matter the circumstances, she hasn’t let go of her commitment to seeking her own path to wisdom and truth. Kudos to Creative Team member Kimberly Kreines for exploring this aspect of Narset in her story “The Great Teacher’s Student.”

Come to think of it, should this get a topic like Alesha did? If someone does make it, please refer to the Khans timeline as Timeline A and the Dragons timeline as Timeline clickclickroar*wingflap*.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, something like that, confirmed here:

Come to think of it, should this get a topic like Alesha did? If someone does make it, please refer to the Khans timeline as Timeline A and the Dragons timeline as Timeline clickclickroar*wingflap*.

Its interesting, but I wonder how much attention it would get among-st the torrent of Iggy Azalea and Ariana Grande threads.

Jhriad

Risen Executioner

Now I want to try out a Gurmag Angler, Sidisi, & Risen Executioner zombie deck.

Angry Grimace

Kind of funny how a Zombie tribal card is so anti-synergistic with most Zombie tribal.

Honestly, it looks like one of those cards that got gutted somewhere in development.

red13th

Yeah I don't understand why he wants few cards in the graveyard to be brought back.

I just bought Jace TMS for my cube, $80. ouch.
I wanted to add Crucible but what the hell, it's $30? I was playing during 10th Ed, should have gotten one back then.

Its interesting, but I wonder how much attention it would get among-st the torrent of Iggy Azalea and Ariana Grande threads.

I am so completely unaware of what goes on outside of this thread. NeoGAF might as well literally be MagicGAF.com to me. It's been years since I looked at the gaming side, and even longer since I looked at the off-topic (and I doubt my opinion on the quality of discourse there will change if I were to venture back there).

Toxi

Banned
How to make a development card: Make a boring mythic creature with extremely efficient stats, then slap on a random narrow hate ability at the bottom to hose some standard deck.

Angry Grimace

I am so completely unaware of what goes on outside of this thread. NeoGAF might as well literally be MagicGAF.com to me. It's been years since I looked at the gaming side, and even longer since I looked at the off-topic (and I doubt my opinion on the quality of discourse there will change if I were to venture back there).

I was just making a joke at the prevalence of Iggy and Ariana Grande threads, but I swear I didn't' even know about the Ariana Grande thread that went up like 5 minutes before that post.

I can't figure out whether Narset's good or not. 6 loyalty is huge, but she does so little to affect the board, and she doesn't guarantee card advantage. I think the shell she would fit into best doesn't really exist yet? I don't get it.

Edit: Thinking more about Narset. You're basically never going to be able to use her -2 on the turn she comes down, unless she's cast very lategame. But assuming you play her turn 4, she goes to 7 loyalty, and you have to pray she survives your opponent's turn... I ugess she's just designed to take hits so you can get that -2 off once or twice? Shrug, I dunno

Pristine-Skywise-Dragons-of-Tarkir-Spoiler.png

This guy kinda should have been mythic; he's going to be a nightmare in draft if he comes down and they get a chance to untap

ElyrionX

Yes. Don't think Narset is that good. Zero board presence with a crappy +1 ability. And as mentioned, a turn 4 Narset is not going to be able to -2.

Angry Grimace

Yes. Don't think Narset is that good. Zero board presence with a crappy +1 ability. And as mentioned, a turn 4 Narset is not going to be able to -2.

Everyone told me I was wrong and stupid because a super crazy card in white was going to be printed that would make her rebound worth it in control.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154668079]There is no card where that makes sense. Any card that good is just good by itself.[/QUOTE]

Rebound End hostilies they said
That's gonna make it worth it to drop black they said
Rebound Valorous Stance they said
Maybe they'll recast a big dude the next turn they said

ElyrionX

Everyone told me I was wrong and stupid because a super crazy card in white was going to be printed that would make her rebound worth it in control.

Well, I've been wrong on every single card I've been hyped on during these spoiler weeks (Clever Impersonator and Soulfire comes to mind). But this is the opposite so.......

ElyrionX

The problem with using Narset in a control shell is that control is inherently reactive. You don't want to be tapping out to cast instants on your turn. And that +1 is going to be revealing a land 40% of the time.

If there is a place for Narset in constructed, I really doubt it'd be in control shells.

The problem with using Narset in a control shell is that control is inherently reactive. You don't want to be tapping out to cast instants on your turn. And that +1 is going to be revealing a land 40% of the time.

If there is a place for Narset in constructed, I really doubt it'd be in control shells.

I think she actually has to be in a creature-heavy deck if you want to tap out for her on turn 4.. because then you presumably have some board presence at that point so it's less of an issue that she doesn't affect the board. But then if the deck's creature-heavy, then her +1 rarely gets you anything, so...? I'm probably missing something!

Edit: Maybe in some aggro-ish deck to reuse valorous stance and stuff a lot?

I think she actually has to be in a creature-heavy deck if you want to tap out for her on turn 4.. because then you presumably have some board presence at that point so it's less of an issue that she doesn't affect the board. But then if the deck's creature-heavy, then her +1 rarely gets you anything, so...? I'm probably missing something!

Edit: Maybe in some aggro-ish deck to reuse valorous stance and stuff a lot?
The answer you're missing is token generators. But she still sucks.

Angry Grimace

I think I figured out why I never get better at limited. Because I like playing with fun cards and half the time I never pull any and then I get bored and want to quit. Bulk rares don't have to be constructed quality. But they can't be Rally the Ancestors. (The actual rares I got were Scroll of the Masters, Howl of the Horde, Slow Turtle)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom