• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

Can it be argued that Narset's big body protects itself? I mean even if you miss the +1, 7 loyalty counters is huge. I think it's fairly balance. It's either that or draw a card for sure but have some pathetic starting Loyalty counter.

The -2 would've been so much better if it was until your next turn. As someone mentioned, you have to play your instance at "sorcery speed" to get the rebound effect.

Against control, reaching her ultimate seems very doable and would just destroy them.

I don't know where to rate it yet but I wouldn't say it's overrated quite yet.

ultron87

I have no idea how to evaluate this. Besides that it is presumably good for a Prowess deck.

B5BBvLo.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ojutai card is awesome. By which I mean I have no clue how to even evaluate it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Someone at Wizards clearly has a huge Kung-Fu monks hard on.

Angry Grimace

This might be critical mass of good-stuff + synergy where such a deck is a good idea, even. Soulfire Grand Master - Monastery Mentor - Ojutai Exemplar as your 12 creatures. The rest of the deck are rebounds, cantrips, Raise the Alarm effects and cheap counters to protect your dudes.. And Narset muahaha

ultron87

Ahhh it's a snake raptor coming to eat me.

B_VxkqDUcAAMaLj.png

Reddit Translation:

Shikiri Raptor 1GG
Lizard Beast

Death touch
Whenever a permanent is flipped up, you may return [cardname] from your graveyard to the battle field face up or down.
Megamorph 4G

3/3

Firemind

This might be critical mass of good-stuff + synergy where such a deck is a good idea, even. Soulfire Grand Master - Monastery Mentor - Ojutai Exemplar as your 12 creatures. The rest of the deck are rebounds, cantrips, Raise the Alarm effects and cheap counters to protect your dudes.. And Narset muahaha
Too bad there are no cantrips for one mana besides... Defiant Strike.

I'd say it was definitely playable if the blink came back end of turn so you could slide it into the sideboard of UW control.

Right now I still need convincing. 4 cmc is a lot for a creature that wants you to hold up mana.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Looking at that green morph, there might be enough good stuff throughout the block now for me to rework my Intet commander deck into something morph heavy, just to see if that's any fun

Angry Grimace

Too bad there are no cantrips for one mana besides... Defiant Strike.
Dragon Mantle :D

New set with no commons or uncommons spoiled; its not Modern anyways, they don't actually have to be one mana.

Angry Grimace

No chance if it's red. All red wants to do is smash after all, and roll dice on the side. White on the other hand...

Sorcery speed spells don't work that well with the new white mythic. Watch them reprint Sleight of Hand. :lol

Sorcery speed spells are awesome in a prowess deck. It barely even matters what the spell is when your whole team has Prowess and you have a Mentor pooping more monks.

This guy's biggest problem is that he costs 4 and doesn't trigger prowess on anyone else.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Wait, why? It has a bunch of anti-control clauses stapled to it, but it costs 6 and doesn't have haste.

So, flying, big bodies that can't be countered, with lifelink in a color that can cast it around before Tasigur can hit the ground isn't enough? Well, what about conditional spell evasion?

Angry Grimace

The thing that is probably sucky about new Monk guy is that he costs 4 and doesn't trigger prowess.

You'd probably rather drop Narset Transcendent at 4 mana.

So, flying, big bodies that can't be countered, with lifelink in a color that can cast it around before Tasigur can hit the ground isn't enough? Well, what about conditional spell evasion?

The "your turn" clause seems like quasi-protection rather than actual protection from anything, as is the "can't be countered" clause. They can just use removal on their own turn. If you already had a bunch of dudes up, you weren't gonna lose anyways.

The problem is that those are all things that sound cooler than they actually are. He's still just a duder that doesn't give you immediate value. I don't think dodging disdainful stroke is enough.

That said, if there's a deck that wants Dragon Tempest, this is the dragon that deck wants.

Toxi

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154725682]HE IS LITERALLY CALLING DRAGONS IN HIS ARTWORK[/QUOTE]
Don't worry, they probably switched the dragon summoning ability to a mythic rare Voice of Resurgence style. :p

WanderingWind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154728652]The problem is that those are all things that sound cooler than they actually are. He's still just a duder that doesn't give you immediate value. I don't think dodging disdainful stroke is enough.

That said, if there's a deck that wants Dragon Tempest, this is the dragon that deck wants.[/QUOTE]

All those things sound like they win games, actually. Taisigur doesn't give you immediate value. Neither does Angler. Neither does Rabblemaster. Neither does Brimaz. Neither does Ashcloud.

You get the picture. "Doesn't give immediate value" is as useless a metric as "Dies to Doom Blade." Not every creature - in standard, mind you - can be an Elesh Norn or a Siege Rhino.

Angry Grimace

Sure, just straight up staple a command to a 4/4 for four. That card clearly sucks.

I think it has a lot of text so its hard to evaluate, but like all Prowess cards its basically a vanilla, not terribly efficient body if you have nothing else in your hand. The spell-chaining requirement to blow out your opponent is why I think this is probably too expensive to see play in the Prowess deck.

All those things sound like they win games, actually. Taisigur doesn't give you immediate value. Neither does Angler. Neither does Rabblemaster. Neither does Brimaz. Neither does Ashcloud.

You get the picture. "Doesn't give immediate value" is as useless a metric as "Dies to Doom Blade." Not every creature - in standard, mind you - can be an Elesh Norn or a Siege Rhino.

Its not a meaningless metric at all. It depends what the CMC is. This guy's CMC is 6. Tasigur is a card you cast for one mana ideally. Rabblemaster wins the game by himself for 3 mana, Brimaz is offensively efficient for his CMC and Ashcloud has relevant protection from dying.

Firemind

Sorcery speed spells are awesome in a prowess deck. It barely even matters what the spell is when your whole team has Prowess and you have a Mentor pooping more monks.

This guy's biggest problem is that he costs 4 and doesn't trigger prowess on anyone else.
Prowess is a deck? Sorry, Goblin Rabblemaster has been proclaimed king. And Zurgo his jester.

WanderingWind

I think it has a lot of text so its hard to evaluate, but like all Prowess cards its basically a vanilla, not terribly efficient body if you have nothing else in your hand. The spell-chaining requirement to blow out your opponent is why I think this is probably too expensive to see play in the Prowess deck.

Yeah, I'm not as sold on this one, but I think it's a fine card for a R/W or white weenie prowess deck. It does too many things that you want to be doing with or without the card to suck. Tapping down a creature is almost always benefical, and if you can say, slash a dude and tap down a large threat, you're way ahead.

EDIT: You guys are really get hung up on the 6 drop thing like this format is suddenly super fast and green has no ramp. It's very odd to witness.

Crocodile

Dromoka costs a lot more than any of those cards, especially the Delve cards.

duxstar

That moment you realize that control decks can no longer counter any of your creatures/spells while dromoka is on the field.

I don't know If she's standard playable, but I really want her to be.

WanderingWind

Ahhh it's a snake raptor coming to eat me.

B_VxkqDUcAAMaLj.png

Reddit Translation:

Shikiri Raptor 1GG
Lizard Beast

Death touch
Whenever a permanent is flipped up, you may return [cardname] from your graveyard to the battle field face up or down.
Megamorph 4G

3/3

Wait, any permanent? That has to be a translation error. Like, "whenever a permenent you control is flipped up," right?

Firemind

That moment you realize that control decks can no longer counter any of your creatures/spells while dromoka is on the field.

I don't know If she's standard playable, but I really want her to be.
She's basically a worse Sigarda, so I'm going to say no.

Speaking of legends, red finally has a 1cc commander that isn't Norin. Hurray! I might dabble into tiny leaders after all.

WanderingWind

She's basically a worse Sigarda, so I'm going to say no.

Speaking of legends, red finally has a 1cc commander that isn't Norin. Hurray! I might dabble into tiny leaders after all.

Friends don't let friends play fake formats invented by card conglomerates to move stockpiles of dollar rares.

Firemind

Friends don't let friends play fake formats invented by card conglomerates to move stockpiles of dollar rares.
But I will finally have a reason to play one of my favourite cards of all time: Hammer of Bogardan. :(

It's hilarious how Zurgo went from badass to Ironclaw Orcs, while Narset ascended and can jump to dimensions at will. Poor Zurgo.

To me, immediate value is something to look at when the spell you're casting costs significantly more than the removal you're expecting to fight. It's not useless. Rabblemaster and Tasigur both give you immediate value so those are actually terrible examples lol

You can cycle off tasigur in response to removal and rabblemaster has haste damage, which counts as immediate value.

Brimaz doesn't, but that card isn't even really seeing play.

Sounds like Standard to me.

WanderingWind

1) Standard is the main format. You know this.
2) Tasigur absolutely does not give you immediate value. It's essentially a cheap vanilla creature. It does nothing when it enters the battlefield. That is the definition of immediate value. It immediately provides you with something outside of itself. Rabblemaster I suppose does, if you consider an attack for 1 "value," It's actually value is on its second turn. Those things that you mentioned are value, yes, but not immediate value. That's my entire point. A card can be very playable without offering immediate value.

Angry Grimace

1) Standard is the main format. You know this.
2) Tasigur absolutely does not give you immediate value. It's essentially a cheap vanilla creature. It does nothing when it enters the battlefield. That is the definition of immediate value. It immediately provides you with something outside of itself. Rabblemaster I suppose does, if you consider an attack for 1 "value," It's actually value is on its second turn. Those things that you mentioned are value, yes, but not immediate value. That's my entire point. A card can be very playable without offering immediate value.

Tasigur costs 1 mana and resources that have no other traditional value. He doesn't need immediate value because he costs 1 mana to cast. Whether a card needs to provide immediate value in the face of removal to be good depends on its casting cost. Tarmogoyf literally doesn't do anything at all other than be a huge butt, but he costs 1G.

2) Tasigur absolutely does not give you immediate value. It's essentially a cheap vanilla creature. It does nothing when it enters the battlefield. That is the definition of immediate value.

That's like saying Snapcaster doesn't give you immediate value because you have to play for the flashback card.

WanderingWind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154736281]That's like saying Snapcaster doesn't give you immediate value because you have to play for the flashback card.[/QUOTE]

Uh. No. It immediately gives one of your spells flashback. Like, immediately so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom