• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm okay with nearly-Impulse.

B_WccW_VAAAakSm.png

Oh, man. That is sexy for a common.

I think you guys are underestimating Atarka's Command. Image, by the way:
635611295667930942.png

Also, corrected translation for the raptor mythic:
Deathbringer-Regent.png

Deathmist Raptor
Creature - Lizard Beast
Deathtouch
Whenever a permanent you control is turned face-up, you may return Deathmist Raptor from the graveyard to the battlefield either face-up or face-down.
Megamorph 4G

And new card:
c6Ou1Ho.jpg

I'm kind of surprised that this exact effect hasn't been printed before on an instant.

EDIT: Just noticed that Zurgo is now an Ironclaw Orcs
Image.ashx

Seriously, what was with the plurals in early Magic?

ultron87

Couldn't they do look at top two, put one in your hand for one mana? Telling Time is kind of unexciting.

They rightly are really cautious about effects like that these days. They seem innocuous but are really good at one mana and increase the consistency of blue decks a ton.

WanderingWind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154737154]And Tasigur can draw you a card and self-mill immediately. I don't see how that's not immediate value. [/QUOTE]

One is a static thing that happens regardless of anything else. Snapcaster, unless there is a Torpor Orb on the battlefield, will always give one of your spells flashback at instant speed. Taisigur needs extra, outside circumstances to exist for you do anything besides having him be an efficient creature.

You are very much getting confused at two varying definitions that have existed in the game for a while. You are using immediate value interchangeably with value. They are separate things. Taisigur gives you value. Snapcaster gives you immediate value. Tarmogoyf gives you value. Griselbrand gives you immediate value.

635611536510897936.jpg

Still a bit more Warrior tribal for you guys! Pair it up with big Zurgo.
EDIT: Wait, clan mention in the flavor text? I guess maybe there are holdouts after all.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think you guys are underestimating Atarka's Command. Image, by the way:

...I don't think Atarka's Command is that bad. I like it better than Ojutai Command tbh, its ramp that doesn't die to lightning strike and doesn't require you to play it on your turn so you can hold up Lightning Strike mana for it or something.

I mean, theoretically, I doubt it gets played unless there's really a R/G dragon ramp deck or something. Even then, its net card disadvantage since you have to already have the land and it can't remove anything.

One is a static thing that happens regardless of anything else. Snapcaster, unless there is a Torpor Orb on the battlefield, will always give one of your spells flashback at instant speed. Taisigur needs extra, outside circumstances to exist for you do anything besides having him be an efficient creature.

You are very much getting confused at two varying definitions that have existed in the game for a while. You are using immediate value interchangeably with value. They are separate things. Taisigur gives you value. Snapcaster gives you immediate value. Tarmogoyf gives you value. Griselbrand gives you immediate value.

I think you're understating his point - immediate value is something that becomes more important as the CMC increases. Dromoka costs 6, which is basically the upper end of midrange constructed CMCs. There's practically no serious argument for running this over Elspeth, Sun's Champion. A card like this needs to basically be Sigarda to be playable.

I think you have this backwards? Snapcaster requires an Instant in the graveyard to do anything useful. Tasigur can do his thing even with an empty graveyard.

WW seems to be assuming that you won't be able to activate Tasigur's ability immediately. The rest of us are assuming that you're casting him for 1 and still have mana to activate his ability, thus allowing him to absolutely have immediate value. The truth is likely somewhere inbetween

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
WW seems to be assuming that you won't be able to activate Tasigur's ability immediately. The rest of us are assuming that you're casting him for 1 and still have mana to activate his ability, thus allowing him to absolutely have immediate value. The truth is likely somewhere inbetween

I don't think it matters. You're either playing him in Abzan which has no other Delve cards to eat those resources, or you're playing him in a Delve deck, in which you probably have an embarrassment of riches in that resource.

Again, the ramp mode is terrible unless it draws a card and unfortunately, none of the other modes are worth a card.

It looks like all of the commands are going to be bad and just rely on player nostalgia for Lorwyn, which simultaneously arguing that everyone actually hates Lorwyn.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154739797]The Abzan split into two when they gave in to the dragons.[/QUOTE]

They still have a clan, its just underneath the Dragons.

This card has a Dromoka watermark, not an Abzan one.

ultron87

Yeah, but why? Its narrow and there are lots of other burn spells in Standard.

If your deck has a good supply of creatures and your burn is mostly going to the face this is probably better than say, Lightning Strike. It can become a lot more damage. Also depending on where the meta ends up the no life gain could be super relevant. If Whip becomes a thing again this lets your aggro deck still win a game where they play Whip and swing in to gain a bunch.

Angry Grimace

If your deck has a good supply of creatures and your burn is mostly going to the face this is probably better than say, Lightning Strike. It can become a lot more damage. Also depending on where the meta ends up the no life gain could be super relevant. If Whip becomes a thing again this lets your aggro deck still win a game where they play Whip and swing in to gain a bunch.

I think this is worse than Lightning Strike by orders of magnitude

ultron87

Well sure, Strike is a much more versatile card that goes in many more decks. But it is possible that a deck for this command could exist.

I think it's better if you think of it as an instant-speed explore effect than a skullcrack. It's pretty decent ramp, but you'll burn out your hand like nobody's business with it.

Toxi

Banned
Ahhh it's a snake raptor coming to eat me.

B_VxkqDUcAAMaLj.png

Reddit Translation:

Shikiri Raptor 1GG
Lizard Beast

Death touch
Whenever a permanent is flipped up, you may return [cardname] from your graveyard to the battle field face up or down.
Megamorph 4G

3/3
Why the hell isn't there a dinosaur creature type? Calling a dinosaur a lizard is like calling a bear a lizard.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154746319]I think it's better if you think of it as an instant-speed explore effect than a skullcrack. It's pretty decent ramp, but you'll burn out your hand like nobody's business with it.[/QUOTE]

Its probably best if you don't think of it at all.

Here's to hoping they're saving all the good cards for PAX

Toxi

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154747543]The word dinosaur means "terrible lizard".[/QUOTE]
That's like calling a jellyfish a fish because the name includes the word fish. Dinosaurs are not close to lizards at all. Birds and crocodiles are their closest living relatives, and lizards are nowhere near their lineage.

Plus, it's stupid that we can have a type like Brushwagg and not a Dinosaur type.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The young planeswalkers look hella anime.

I'm getting Avatar vibes from them.

Newt

That's like calling a jellyfish a fish because the name includes the word fish. Dinosaurs are not close to lizards at all. Birds and crocodiles are their closest living relatives, and lizards are nowhere near their lineage.

Plus, it's stupid that we can have a type like Brushwagg and not a Dinosaur type.
They should just call it "reptile".

WanderingWind

Or just make a dinosaur creature type. We have creature types for snakes, lizards, turtles, and crocodiles. There's no reason we can't have a dinosaur creature type.

Eh. Too many things care about lizard subtype. There are literally ones of cards.

Kacar

Just gonna keep rolling with black/red into the next set, its the only colors that I have any expensive cards in and i love the slow grindy playstyle. I miss playing with gray merchant. Reid Duke just posted a mono black devotion list and it looked kinda lame tbh. I want to keep playing with my stormbreaths in though. Hopefully a pretty solid list can be formed.

I'm probably gonna wind up playing 4 Anticipation and 1 Sidisi in my Sultai deck if there's nothing else exciting in the set. Those are the standouts to me right now.

y2dvd

635611536510897936.jpg

Still a bit more Warrior tribal for you guys! Pair it up with big Zurgo.
EDIT: Wait, clan mention in the flavor text? I guess maybe there are holdouts after all.

Dang this paired with Rabblemaster will be nasty. I usually find myself not attacking with him quite yet until enough goblins builds up. Arashin is going to allow Rabblemaster to attack more often and for huge damage.

Remember my god-deck challenge? I've got 2 finalists.

4x Ephara, God of the Polis
4x Elvish Mystic
3x Rattleclaw Mystic
4x Courser of Kruphix
4x Eidolon of Blossoms
3x Genesis Hydra
1x Temur Sabertooth
4x Whisperwood Elemental
2x Polukranos, World Eater

4x Banishing Light
3x Mastery of the Unseen

Lands and sideboard to be built.

4x Purphoros, God of the Forge
4x Hordeling Outburst
4x Raise the Alarm
4x Seeker of the Way
2x Monastery Mentor
2x Stormbreath Dragon
2x Flamewake Phoenix
4x Outpost Siege
4x Stoke the Flames
2x Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2x Dictate of Heliod
2x Spear of Heliod

Lands and sideboard

The requirement of 4 of any 1 god is a bit narrowing, as it leaves you with essentially a 58 card deck with 2 dead weight cards. But if I make it into some sort of good linchpin to a combo, it might be worth running 4. I especially like the cute combo of Purphoros damaging on the way in and outpost siege of the way out. I had thought about 2 copies of Chasm Stalker in the Ephara deck because of the card draw engine, but I don't really want the blue to be any more than a splash for the god.

Angry Grimace

Just gonna keep rolling with black/red into the next set, its the only colors that I have any expensive cards in and i love the slow grindy playstyle. I miss playing with gray merchant. Reid Duke just posted a mono black devotion list and it looked kinda lame tbh. I want to keep playing with my stormbreaths in though. Hopefully a pretty solid list can be formed.

RB Dragons you know you want to.

Angry Grimace

You know what I like about this thread vs. other Magic threads? People don't get angry at you for saying your pet card/deck isn't actually good and instead try and tell you why you are wrong (usually without telling you that you're a huge douchebag too!).

Seriously, some dude on SA just told me that Sligh was gonna be super good with Zurgo in it and I pointed out that the entire deck folds to Drown in Sorrow and Anger of the Gods and that Dash isn't actually good in a deck with 20 or less lands. He said that this was stifling discussion on the merits of the deck, even though this completely legitimate point is in fact, discussing the deck.

Firemind

Mono red could make a comeback. Drown of Sorrow is annoying, but luckily Siege refills your gas and, unlike Boros, you can take advantage of Hall of Triumph.

Toxi

Banned
Aleksi Briclot owns.
I think his great art is part of the reason the first Planeswalkers left such an impact on players.
Better than JTMS? That artwork has basically made him into Mr. Magic.
Yes. Jace Beleren just has a much better mood with the piece, especially the lighting on Jace's face. It looks somber and mysterious instead of just cool.

JTMS became Mr. Magic because he was really good and an icon of one of the most dominant standard decks of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom