• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gideon planeswalks to Bant, where none of the cards can be printed since they're all multicolor and this is fake core set shit.

Can't they just drop the "this is a core set!" pretense?

y2dvd

From a standpoint purely of how much deck variation and shifts between events there's been, Khans block has definitely been quite a bit out ahead of Theros. In terms of how much people like the specific decks being played, well... your mileage may vary.

I even have modern players telling me they are having more fun with standards atm. Even some players that took a break jumped back in with khans. Theros essentially had like 3 top decks? Mono black, Mono blue (that eventually dropped off), and U/W? The current format has so many different playable decks. It's like just pick one and run with it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Having a variety decks kind of makes Thoughtseize less annoying. That and no Lifebane Zombie.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154788073]I liked Lifebane :)[/QUOTE]

Hardcore Spike guy likes Spike card no way

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154788073]I liked Lifebane :)[/QUOTE]
It's so bad for the game for it to be a decent creature/body on top of a hate ability. Kibler just ranted on BGH in HS for the same reason.

Crocodile

Gideon was invented by the author of the Purifying Fire right? I feel they've been trying to retrofit Gideon into the greater Magic lure but that fact that he wasn't initially a WOTC creation might have been making things tricky?

Gideon planeswalks to Bant, where none of the cards can be printed since they're all multicolor and this is fake core set shit.

Can't they just drop the "this is a core set!" pretense?

Huh? Mono-Color cards exist on Bant. Granted, Bant doesn't really exist anymore but I dunno if they are going to be pulling cards from pre or post Conflux.

Angry Grimace

Gideon was invented by the author of the Purifying Fire right? I feel they've been trying to retrofit Gideon into the greater Magic lure but that fact that he wasn't initially a WOTC creation might have been making things tricky?

Last I heard he was invented to be Chandra's side-book boyfriend and they're all tsundere for each other because they can't get over each other's respective whiteness and redness. Its like a Maro-penned romance novel.

Huh? Mono-Color cards exist on Bant. Granted, Bant doesn't really exist anymore but I dunno if they are going to be pulling cards from pre or post Conflux.

They do, but the conceit of the sub-plane is multicolor/shard stuff.

Toxi

Banned
B_X0kQOU0AEfCs6.jpg
I'm disappointed this doesn't involve baby tokens.

hoverX

Hey guys,

I've been a net runner player for quite some time and was thinking of getting into Magic. Was also thinking about selling magic boxes and cards as a business. Is this a viable plan or is there no real money to be made? (I live in really large city)

Hey guys,

I've been a net runner player for quite some time and was thinking of getting into Magic. Was also thinking about selling magic boxes and cards as a business. Is this a viable plan or is there no real money to be made? (I live in really large city)

I mean, I guess, but you have to be pretty into the game to make good financial decisions. Even then I doubt if it's worth it.

kirblar

There is, but it depends on cost of rent in your area, how many players are around, etc. Going in w/ zero knowledge is probably not the best idea, especially with singles sales.

hoverX

Was thinking more like selling boxes on Craigslist. Buy a case or two and sell them. Not my only source of income. Just wanted to make some extra cash off something I like doing.

Jhriad

Hey guys,

My understanding is that the margins on booster boxes are extremely small unless you live in a starved area that means you can sell them for more than the typical $80-90. You're paying something like 74 dollars for a box directly from WotC (there was a recent price bump so this might have gone up as well) so unless you're doing high volume you're not going to be making a ton off the boxes. The real money for a lot of card shops is in selling singles and you need to have a good understanding of the various formats, the current meta in each, and the various staple prices as a baseline to even think about getting started in singles. On a fairly small scale it's certainly possible to make a little bit by say, buying standard/modern staples off other players for 50-60% of retail (or what your LGS would probably end up paying them in store credit) and then reselling them. Not a ton of money to be made though.

Angry Grimace

So far this set looks pretty bad from a constructed standpoint. Obviously you can't say much in terms of limited since you rarely see any of the commons until the end. I'd like to think they wouldn't make the Dragons set the "Timmy Set," but it kind seems like it.

Let's hope they were holding on to some more good stuff for PAX and the next week (although my recollection is that the second week of spoilers is usually a lot less saucy).

kirblar

So far this set looks pretty bad from a constructed standpoint. Obviously you can't say much in terms of limited since you rarely see any of the commons until the end. I'd like to think they wouldn't make the Dragons set the "Timmy Set," but it kind seems like it.

Let's hope they were holding on to some more good stuff for PAX and the next week (although my recollection is that the second week of spoilers is usually a lot less saucy).
The Dragon set is going to be the Timmy set by default. Commands are clearly in because they're aware of this.

Angry Grimace

The Dragon set is going to be the Timmy set by default. Commands are clearly in because they're aware of this.

I don't understand what you mean by that. Ojutai's Command seemed to make it pretty clear they were not going to let these be powerful at all.

Toxi

Banned
As a Timmy, this set really hasn't wowed me. Like yeah, there are big dragons, but most of them aren't that cool by dragon standards.

Angry Grimace

Spiike card = constructed card. Doesn't mean "super powerful".

2WU, Counter Target Creature Spell, Draw a Card, doesn't seem like a super constructed targeted card to me.

As a Timmy, this set really hasn't wowed me. Like yeah, there are big dragons, but most of them aren't that cool by dragon standards.

I don't know. I feel like its silly from a design standpoint to say that all dragons have to be huge battlecruisers that cost 6. I'm not saying we need Siege Rhino: the Dragon, but I'd at least like things I can build around, not silly gimmick sac all your duders to make dragons crap. That's just sorcery speed Hour of Need with Dragons.

2WU, Counter Target Creature Spell, Draw a Card, doesn't seem like a super constructed targeted card to me.

I don't know. I feel like its silly from a design standpoint to say that all dragons have to be huge battlecruisers that cost 6. I'm not saying we need Siege Rhino: the Dragon, but I'd at least like things I can build around, not silly gimmick sac all your duders to make dragons crap. That's just sorcery speed Hour of Need with Dragons.

Hey, at least each of those dragons draws a card with a Temur Ascendency out.

Angry Grimace

"Put a good 2cc guy into play eot, draw a card" is what you have to be able to leverage.

Snapcaster Mage doesn't exist in Standard and they claim not to test for it; there are no good 2CMC guys unless Orator of Ojutai is super amazing.

Toxi

Banned
I'm not saying I dislike dragons designed to be practical tournament cards, I just feel underwhelmed by the dragons so far.

I'm wondering how much of this is an actual problem of quantity over quality in dragon design and how much of it is just fatigue at so many large flying creatures that I gloss over things I'd otherwise find cool.

Angry Grimace

I'm not saying I dislike dragons designed to be practical tournament cards, I just feel underwhelmed by the dragons so far.

I'm wondering how much of this is an actual problem of quantity over quality in dragon design and how much of it is just fatigue at so many large flying creatures that I gloss over things I'd otherwise find cool.

Another issue I have with that design philosophy is that it means limited gets bombier and bombier, which leads to pack wars, which leads to.............suffering.

Yeef

635611903499035810.jpg

Blood Chin Fanatic 1BB
Creature - Orc Warrior
1B: Sacrifice another warrior, target player loses X life and you gain X life, where X is the sacrificed creature's power.

3/3

Having all three packs have bomb rares should help balance things out significantly

That really doesn't improve the quality of the format at all. Actually, it's actively bad. The higher the power level discrepancy between rares and commons, the worse the balance gets. Getting three shots at a good card doesn't balance anything, it makes it worse. It just means one guy is gonna get two+ bombs and some people are gonna get nothing. And it's not even like the rares are just bombs in KTK, the commons are actual garbage.

One of the reasons why Theros was such a great draft format in terms of balance was because the rares were so weak. Khans is just super balanced in general.

The other problem isn't just that the power level just isn't there, but in terms of archetypes FRF doesn't really have anything going on. Triple Khans has everything from tempo to control, tribal to five-color morph. You aren't building a deck with FRF. You're just hoping to get good cards.

Angry Grimace

I like how there's 0 technological advance at all over 1280 years either with or without dragons.

I was thinking, all of the ex-clan leaders have their brood's keyword, so I came up with the dumbest idea for Taigam.

Summon Taigam - 3U
Sorcery
Rebound
Put a legendary 3/3 blue Human Monk creature named Taigam onto the battlefield. If you already control a creature named Taigam, instead put a 3/3 blue Human Monk Reflection creature named Taigam Reflection onto the battlefield.
Summon Taigam can be your commander.

I like how there's 0 technological advance at all over 1280 years either with or without dragons.
Non-dragons learning morph is a technological advancement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom