• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Taigam will just have fake Prowess the way that the Ojutai 4/4 Mythic guys do.

I'm disappointed those guys don't do anything on their own. I'd probably rather spend 4 mana on Narset or a Mentor plus a Defiant Strike or Wild Slash or something.

Tuned up for the pptq weekend:

Sultai Midrange

Creatures(21):
  • 4 Satyr Wayfinder
  • 4 Courser of Kruphix
  • 4 Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
  • 2 Torrent Elemental
  • 2 Whisperwood Elemental
  • 3 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
  • 2 Hornet Queen

Spells(12):
  • 4 Bile Blight
  • 2 Hero's Downfall
  • 3 Sultai Charm
  • 3 Murderous Cut

Enchantments(2):
  • 2 Whip of Erebos

Land(25):
  • 4 Opulent Palace
  • 3 Temple of Malady
  • 2 Temple of Mystery
  • 4 Polluted Delta
  • 3 Swamp
  • 1 Island
  • 2 Forest
  • 1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
  • 3 Llanowar Wastes
  • 2 Yavimaya Coast

Sideboard(15):
  • 3 Thoughtseize
  • 3 Drown in Sorrow
  • 2 Crux of Fate
  • 3 Disdainful Stroke
  • 2 Negate
  • 1 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
  • 1 Kiora, the crashing wave

Streamlined the deck a little bit, some more adjustments wiggling around the numbers to make my sideboard plans smoother and evening out the pre and post-board curve a bit. I feel like I'm pretty close to optimal at this point for the last few weeks of the Standard format here.

I'm already trying to imagine what the deck looks like with Anticipate and the new Sidisi.

Joe Molotov

B_X0kQOU0AEfCs6.jpg

Bands with Babies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154825630]I'm already trying to imagine what the deck looks like with Anticipate and the new Sidisi.[/QUOTE]

Anticipate seems kind of mediocre outside of a deck that *really* wants some kind of engine card. You're just replacing one card in your hand for another card off the top three (the chance that the card you need is in the top three isn't really all that high) for 2 mana and you don't get anything to Delve off of with it.

Firemind

Pick Battlefield Thaumaturge up now. No real downside to grabbing a set while its cheap.
I just realized it combos with the red mythic.

t2 Dragon Tempest
t3 Hordeling Outburst
t4 Thaumaturge, don't pass priority, play mythic, sac four creatures, deal 16 damage, attack for 16.

Kacar

So you can just not pass priority when thaumaturge resolves and there's nothing they can do? Priority always mixes me up.

So you can just not pass priority when thaumaturge resolves and there's nothing they can do? Priority always mixes me up.

Your opponent gets priority whenever you put something on the stack or change phases. So once thaumaturge resolves, your opponent can't do anything until you take another action. As soon as you trigger his ability, your opponent gets a chance to kill it in response.

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154847416]Your opponent gets priority whenever you put something on the stack or change phases. So once thaumaturge resolves, your opponent can't do anything until you take another action. As soon as you trigger his ability, your opponent gets a chance to kill it in response.[/QUOTE]
You still get the discount though! Even if they kill one, 3 dragons are still 9+12 damage.

Also, I read they commisioned an alternate art of Sunscorch Regent, but the card is nowhere to obtain?

960293_806119829470882_3318085045782598184_n.png

Angry Grimace

I feel like I shouldn't be more excited by Roast and Ultimate Price than all the other cards.

noooooooooooo

master of waves :(

I mean, not having anything even remotely good at the 2 drop slot, kind of hurts, ya know? Although I'll give you that Megamorphling is way better than Nightveil Specter ever was.

Angry Grimace

Atarka is one of the worst mythics in a long time. Not by virtue of anything other than just being extremely boring Timmy design. One time ETB that's just Bogardan Hellkite's ability (e.g. something we already knew dragons could do) and a huge, unprotected body. It doesn't even have a static ability. Its just huge. Making a creature huge is not making it "mythic," its just huge.

Atarka is one of the worst mythics in a long time. Not by virtue of anything other than just being extremely boring Timmy design. One time ETB that's just Bogardan Hellkite's ability (e.g. something we already knew dragons could do) and a huge, unprotected body. It doesn't even have a static ability. Its just huge. Making a creature huge is not making it "mythic," its just huge.

It's a pretty decent Jund Reanimator target, though. If you get to whip it back while your opponent taps out, it's a 21 point life swing lol

Crocodile

A) All the abilities on Silumgar's Command are good but it costing 5 instead of 4, while probably "fair", is a real boner killer :/

B) I'd rather have Bogardan Hellkite than new Atakra. I guess they didn't want new toys for Dragonstorm?

Firemind

Can't even target players lol. At least it's consistent with being an elder dragon!

The art is more dynamic than her previous card at least.

Also, Atarka being more expensive confirms she's the end boss (unless Ojutai also costs 7).

At this point, the thing that would most blow my mind is Ojutai costing 4.

A) All the abilities on Silumgar's Command are good but it costing 5 instead of 4, while probably "fair", is a real boner killer :/

I just don't know if removal + bounce is ever worth five mana. It's pretty good against Sorin, I guess?

I get that they had to make it five because bouncing a land at 4 is probably too brutal, but man. Five is a bunch.

Toxi

Banned
aKZSuEL.jpg

7 mana still =/
On one hand, Bogardan Hellkite is a fun card and Atarka will be fun too. Probably my favorite of the elder dragons spoiled so far.

On the other, did they really have to reuse Bogardan Hellkite's ability instead of doing something new? These elder dragons feel really uninspired.

Edit: I do like how her 8 power triggers formidable.

Edit 2: Wait, she can't target players? Why the hell can't she target players?

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154862401]It's a pretty decent Jund Reanimator target, though. If you get to whip it back while your opponent taps out, it's a 21 point life swing lol[/QUOTE]
It's actually 26, you get lifelink off the firebreathing.

edit: nvm, cant dome. Blah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom