• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
On one hand, Bogardan Hellkite is a fun card and Atarka will be fun too. Probably my favorite of the elder dragons spoiled so far.

On the other, did they really have to reuse Bogardan Hellkite's ability instead of doing something new? These elder dragons feel really uninspired.

Edit: I do like how her 8 power triggers formidable.

Edit 2: Wait, she can't target players? Why the hell can't she target players?

Serious question: why would it matter if Atarka triggers a non-starter winmore ability?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
3jodc44.jpg

Angry Grimace

I guess Rally the Ancestors plus Dragon Tempest plus a bunch of dead dragons....okay that card sucks

Never seen that card before but holy shit that thing sucks. If it had haste, then it would make more sense but nope...

That card encapsulates why I think FRF is a bad set. Its not that its a bad card, its that its such a stark contrast to the rest of the stupid bombs like Citadel Siege. You're probably way behind everyone else if you open Rally (I got that shit as my Abzan promo in prerelease).

Angry Grimace

Cunning Breezestrider
4UW
Flying
Whenever you cast a non-creature spell, Cunning Breezestrider gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
4/4

To summarize:

Ojutai ability: recycle an old ability that works with Prowess and give all the creatures Prowess but call it something else
Atarka ability: nonstarter winmore
Kolaghan ability: aggro ability that doesn't let you establish a board state
Silumgar: Make my own board state worse unless I sac a meaningless dude but why am I playing meaningless dudes
Dromoka: counters, counters everywhere

MjFrancis

cunningbreezedancer1.jpg

Cunning Breezedancer is just an uncommon though. Granted, Ojutai will probably have the same sort of non-keyworded Prowess trigger.

Angry Grimace

It isn't relevant for any reason, but the name of the character in that text is Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker.

Firemind

This set just goes to show how boring dragons are and I say this as someone who collects dragons. Design space of every colour, the sky is the limit, yet we get mill dragons, prowess dragons, fight dragons, bogardan hellkite, scourge of kher ridges. Just in the previous two sets you had Butcher of the Horde, Ashcloud Phoenix, Necropolis Fiend, Whisperwood Elemental, Tasigur. That there's no delve dragon is utter bollocks. Instead we get overcosted fatties as usual.

Toxi

Banned
Serious question: why would it matter if Atarka triggers a non-starter winmore ability?
It doesn't really matter, it's just neat that she synergies with her faction's mechanic.
This set just goes to show how boring dragons are and I say this as someone who collects dragons. Design space of every colour, the sky is the limit, yet we get mill dragons, prowess dragons, fight dragons, bogardan hellkite, scourge of kher ridges. Just in the previous two sets you had Butcher of the Horde, Ashcloud Phoenix, Necropolis Fiend, Whisperwood Elemental, Tasigur. That there's no delve dragon is utter bollocks. Instead we get overcosted fatties as usual.
It doesn't help that some of the design is just plain boring. Atarka is bigger Bogardan Hellkite with the Flash removed so you can't use it as a combat trick. Instead of trying something new, the designers dumbed an older card down.

Angry Grimace

The inevitable excuse will be "Well there's no design space in dragons other than overcosted fatties" despite the fact that there's nothing that actually mandates dragons do anything in particular other than be "creature - dragon."

Angry Grimace

I just look at the Khans card list and get sad. There's a ton of cards you can build decks around even if they aren't necessarily good - Villainous Wealth, Sidisi, Siege Rhino, Butcher, Jeskai Ascendancy, Mantis Rider, Knuckleblade, etc.

It seems like they just figured the mana to play allied colors is way better so they could just make the cards less good.

Firemind

It doesn't help that some of the design is just plain boring. Atarka is bigger Bogardan Hellkite with the Flash removed so you can't use it as a combat trick. Instead of trying something new, the designers dumbed an older card down.
That doesn't make any sense. It's not like in other sets where the dragons are red that have to have red abilities. They can literally make any dragon. They don't need to adhere to any rule. In the past you had cloud dragons, mist dragons, eternal dragons, undead dragons, wingless dragons. "But these are all Ugin's babies." Who gives a shit? It's called Magic. They can probably think of something.

Edit: oh I see you edited your post.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yoooo damn, Ojutai.

Also Grimace, time to break out that checkbook.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That Ultimate will never be activated in all of forever but damn if it isn't some flashy shit.

Jhriad

Temur Sarkhan! Yay! Maybe I can finally play my Temur deck. *sees ultimate* Eh.

Well, I'm not going to be able to afford that card.

For dorks that aren't watching:
Sarkhan Unbroken 2GUR
Planeswalker - Sarkhan
+1: Draw a card, then add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
-2: Put a 4/4 red Dragon creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
-8: Search your library for any number of Dragon creature cards and put them onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

For dorks that aren't watching:
Sarkhan Unbroken 2GUR
Planeswalker - Sarkhan
+1: Draw a card, then add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
-2: Put a 4/4 red Dragon creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
-8: Search your library for any number of Dragon creature cards and put them onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

That's pretty badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom