• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wichu

Just got these:

vV2BojL.jpg

I don't normally pimp out my decks, but this art is so pretty.

kirblar

Phyrexian Mana is perfectly fine as long as you put it only on Artifacts.

Those, you can cost around. It breaks on Instants/Sorceries.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156327526]God, I'm so desperate to beat GB with bogles I might put a meddling mage in my sideboard just for Abrupt Decay.[/QUOTE]

Making Bogles happen is like making fetch happen. Except unlike fetches it doesn't.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's...more or less my exact take on Scars. Including how there's quite a bit I can rate highly in it but I have a hard time evaluating what I feel about the block as a whole

From the sounds of things he's not a huge fan of RTR. As someone who was also underwhelmed by the block, I'm very curious to see what he has to say.

I mean, I barely played INN and it was like 10 times better than the three blocks that came after it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I mean, I barely played INN and it was like 10 times better than the three blocks that came after it.

Innistrad is an interesting example of a single set carrying an entire block. Because while Innistrad was probably the best set of the last five years, Dark Ascension and Avacyn are probably just above Dragons Maze and Born of the Gods honestly. (Okay Avacyn is probably worse then that, but I love Soulbond so much that I always rank it a bit higher than most)

kirblar

Innistrad is an interesting example of a single set carrying an entire block. Because while Innistrad was probably the best set of the last five years, Dark Ascension and Avacyn are probably just above Dragons Maze and Born of the Gods honestly. (Okay Avacyn is probably worse then that, but I love Soulbond so much that I always rank it a bit higher than most)
AVR not being a straight up enemy color set and orphaning Black in limited is one of the dumbest things in recent history.

Angry Grimace

I like going back and reading you guys reaction to specific cards spoilers in the old threads.
KuGsj.gif

Toxi

Banned
Dark Ascension was nowhere near as awful as Born of the Gods.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156333925]Born of the gods was a perfectly fine limited format.

What do you want me to do? Buy another modern deck? Modern isn't nearly that fun.[/QUOTE]

Born of the Gods didn't really add that much to Triple Theros though.

The only Modern deck I have in paper is the Modern Event Deck, except I put Bitterblossom, Thoughtseize and some better land in it. The only other modern staple cards I own is a playset of Snapcaster Mage; I only bought them because they were 28 bucks right after it rotated and I figured fuck it it has nowhere to go but up and I don't want to buy them later.

kirblar

DA trainwrecked Innistrad draft. They're both terrible, but their worst points are different.

They both suffer (in Constructed) from LaPille's total inability to do anything but hyper-push a select few specific constructed cards that are blatantly obvious to anyone on first glance at the spoiler.

Angry Grimace

DA trainwrecked Innistrad draft. They're both terrible, but their worst points are different.

They both suffer (in Constructed) from LaPille's total inability to do anything but hyper-push a select few specific constructed cards that are blatantly obvious to anyone on first glance at the spoiler.

I only ever played INN through MTGO flashback drafts and they never do them as anything but INN x3.

kirblar

Ojutai's Command Rare x4 $14.49
Silumgar's Command Rare x4 $6.49
Dragonlord Ojutai Mythic x4 $18.49
Den Protector Rare x4 $3.4949
Kolaghan's Command Rare x4 $6.49
Dragonlord's Prerogative Rare x4 $1.49
Icefall Regent Rare x4 $1.49
Commune With Lava Rare x4 $3.49
Blood-Chin Fanatic Rare x4 $1.49
Silumgar Assassin Rare x4 $1.49
Arashin Foremost Rare x4 $2.99
Hidden Dragonslayer Rare x4 $1.49
Ire Shaman Rare x4 $2.49
Crater Elemental Rare x4 $1.49
Surrak, The Hunt Caller x4 $4.49
Profaner of the Dead Rare x4 $1.49
Corpseweft Rare x4 $1.49
Dromoka's Command Rare x4 $6.99
Atarka's Command Rare x4 $16.49
Radiant Purge Rare x4 $3.49

+ 1.50 shipping (was 2 bux + .5 for each addt'l, so I baked it in.) Total of 102.
This is why you don't buy boxes, folks. Was willing to not pay rock-bottom here and shave an extra few bucks because the guy's within 50 miles of my house.

Firemind

Atarka's and Ojutai's Command seem kind of expensive for rares?

Edit: I guess it is a small set that's not going to be opened a lot.

kirblar

Atarka's and Ojutai's Command seem kind of expensive for rares?

Edit: I guess it is a small set that's going to rotate quickly.
4 each and 3.5 each. Not really that expensive. Atarka's immediately goes into Modern Burn and is just a very good card in general. Otujai's is probably going to lose me a bit of money, but w/e, I needed to get to $100. :p

Firemind

It's a large set, albeit on that's only drafted twice instead of thrice.
Oh, right.

Sarkhan gonna skyrocket mark my words!

Not sold on Ojutai yet. In a control deck, Prognostic Sphinx just seems better, though the tapping is kind of annoying. I can see Ojutai fitting in a Bant or Esper tempo shell though.

Angry Grimace

Oh, right.

Sarkhan gonna skyrocket mark my words!

Not sold on Ojutai yet. In a control deck, Prognostic Sphinx just seems better, though the tapping is kind of annoying. I can see Ojutai fitting in a Bant or Esper tempo shell though.

Shard mana sucks though.

Crocodile

Spent 3 days at GP Cleveland. Bombed out of the main event (I'm going to find my pool and post it because I'm not sure I built it right) but did well in most side events. Opened a lot of crap unfortunately (while in one side event, the person next to me AND across from be both opened an Ugin *roll eyes*) but got a lot of good trades, sales and buys in.

Phyrexian Mana is perfectly fine as long as you put it only on Artifacts.

Those, you can cost around. It breaks on Instants/Sorceries.

Postmortem Lunge, Apostles' Blessing, Noxious Revival, etc. never broke anything. As with anything its all about the costing. Still I'm glad they swung for the fences with Dismember, Probe, etc. I'd rather have cards that "break" standard for a bit but remain playable for the rest of time then cards that are so "safe" that as soon as they leave T2 they lose ALL play value.

AVR not being a straight up enemy color set and orphaning Black in limited is one of the dumbest things in recent history.

Why an enemy color theme?

kirblar

Because Innistrad was Ally colored and it would be a good way to balance out the block, as well as something that would illustrate that the world had changed.

They already had 3 enemy color combos in there anyway (U/R, R/W, U/G) - they just needed to go all the way with it.

Crocodile

I wouldn't call Innistrad/DKA outright allied colored (B/W tokens an Spider Spawning were real limited decks) but the tribal linears and Travel Preparations certainly gave it a bit of that flavor I can agree. I'm not sure Avacyn Restored needed to be enemy colored, it would have been nice, but the loner garbage with Black was stupid as all hell.

kirblar

I wouldn't call Innistrad/DKA outright allied colored (B/W tokens an Spider Spawning were real limited decks) but the tribal linears and Travel Preparations certainly gave it a bit of that flavor I can agree. I'm not sure Avacyn Restored needed to be enemy colored, it would have been nice, but the loner garbage with Black was stupid as all hell.
The cycle of Enemy-colored flashbacks was really the only enemy color thing in the set. All the tribes were ally-aligned.

They also just straight up don't do enemy-color often enough outside of gold blocks.

Crocodile

The cycle of Enemy-colored flashbacks was really the only enemy color thing in the set. All the tribes were ally-aligned.

They also just straight up don't do enemy-color often enough outside of gold blocks.

I feel Spider Spawning was more of a deck than B/R vampires in terms of how things actually played out but when you look at the card file (and I think about it a bit more), yeah the allied themes are there. They just don't resonate with me as strongly as the allied themes in some other sets.

As for your last point, I definitely agree and is even something I criticized Dragons of Tarkir for. "Enemy" colors in general are under represented.

Firemind

dat satisfaction when you supplant form a creature about to fight your creature. supplant form has overperformed each and every time. dunno why people keep passing it. i'll take it though!

Grimace, you made my girlfriend yell at me.

"You downloaded it again? You know you're not supposed to be playing Magic Online!"
"But my friend said that Rise of the Eldrazi was coming back! It's my favorite!"
*stares*
"I still have phantom points! I'm not spending money I promise!"
*stares*

I dunno if we're gonna go to the prerelease now <_<

Zocano

My girlfriend makes fun of me for playing magic, too, it's okay.

She has a bad association with it, too, so there's that.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156386524]She plays with me, but I had to uninstall the game because I was spending like a hundred bucks a months on it.[/QUOTE]

You're not directly buying packs from WOTC or anything are you? Because a draft should cost like ~9 bucks total.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156386821]I was playing like 10+ drafts a week...[/QUOTE]

I hit rock bottom when I joined two drafts at the same time at 5AM in the morning.

Firemind

You guys have it easy. My gf bothers me all the time. So many drafts lost because I went over the ten minute time limit. ;-;

Lately I've been going on a bit of a winning streak. Kept enough packs to draft three more times before the cube starts, got rid of the rest and made 40 tix. I'm telling you guys, 8-4s are where the money is at.

FRF-FRF-KTK reminds me a lot of cube. People playing their splashy bombs while I curve out and deal the last points of damage with brimstone volley and lightning bolt.

GF? Psssh. Try a wife and a 3-year-old daughter. I've been working on a plan for weeks to be able to find time to draft Cube more than once this go-around.

Obviously I love them both to death - it's just not a situation conducive to drafting online.

EDIT: And I'm not usually one for card nicknames, but I don't think I can call this card anything but "Maternal Witness" from now on thanks to Reddit:

Image.ashx

y2dvd

I like going back and reading you guys reaction to specific cards spoilers in the old threads.
KuGsj.gif

I think I've been pretty accurate at evaluating cards!

Which promo are y'all running with at prerelease? I'm going with Ojutai. It's aggressively cost and would go great in a Jeskai tempo build.

Socat

I think I've been pretty accurate at evaluating cards!

Which promo are y'all running with at prerelease? I'm going with Ojutai. It's aggressively cost and would go great in a Jeskai tempo build.

You mean which dragon brood? I'm not sure what you mean by which promo? I assume the promo will be a random rare in one of the two brood colors like it was in FRF

y2dvd

You mean which dragon brood? I'm not sure what you mean by which promo? I assume the promo will be a random rare in one of the two brood colors like it was in FRF

Ah they are doing that again? The store owner confused me then, asking which promo I wanted to go with and showed me all the dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom