• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miscommunication cause I posted in a rush. It looked like two differing standards mashed together. I had played a strength/nighthowler deek in the previous standard.

Re: the bolded

Yeah. Here, let me retype it so that I can somehow conform it to an approved syntax.

"First comment? Grisly Salvage and Murderous Cut are not legal in the same Standards. Grisly Salvage rotated out when Murderous Cut came in. They both cannot be in the same deck unless you are playing a format that includes more than Standard sets. And if you are playing Modern, there's such a larger potential card pool for a deck like this."

There. Retyped for a comment we have all moved on from.

New news: Got some playtesting in on that GR Assault Formation deck I posted a few pages back. It needs very specific draws against aggro or it just can't recover. Crater Elemental overperformed and is gonna be a sleeper hit. It's super versatile, especially in that deck with the doran effect. The deck might actually be better served by not looking to ramp at all and just replace some of the toppers with some better low cost cards. Maybe Deathmist Raptor.

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156500485]Why are you playing cube when ROE is up?[/QUOTE]
I still had 36 phantom points and I can win roe packs with it!

Also roe sucks

WHY THE FUCK ARE ANY OF YOU PEOPLE DRAFTING THE AWFUL LEGACY CUBE INSTEAD OF THE GOD-TIER RISE OF THE ELDRAZI

Also roe sucks

getout.gif

There's no rational reason anyone would stay in Temur territory rather than just defect given that Atarka is just a horrible asshole.

Atarka is like the least assholish dragon. He fights stuff at random and constantly demands to be fed, so basically he's just a really huge cat.

Joe Molotov

ST06Dq4.png

1fKusdU.jpg

Question to the thread.

What are your favorite Flavor Texts in Dragons of Tarkir? Favorite individual card names?
For best flavor text, it's Pacifism, no question.

Atarka is like the least assholish dragon. He fights stuff at random and constantly demands to be fed, so basically he's just a really huge cat.

She. The only male dragonlords are the blue ones. Obviously a sexist comment on how men are more intelligent than women.

Anyway, Atarka does largely leave the not!Temur alone except when it's meal time. Of course, the problem is that it's always meal time.

Joe Molotov

Won my first round. My opponent managed to get an Kozilek, Butcher of Truth in play, but I was like "Entreat the Angels for 4, get wrekt son."

Toxi

Banned
Am I the only one who finds it funny that Zurgo, Helmsmasher can beat Dragonlord Kolaghan 1-on-1 without breaking a sweat?

Joe Molotov

Meh, lost to some guy who drafted a control deck, who even does that shit? Could have won if I'd just landed Form of the Dragon, but he Pact of Negation'd it. :(

Am I the only one who finds it funny that Zurgo, Helmsmasher can beat Dragonlord Kolaghan 1-on-1 without breaking a sweat?

Well, Zurgo can also do the same with creature Nicol Bolas and every other non-Atarka elder dragon. EDIT: And Arcades Sabboth I guess.

ROE draft:

SXCe13s.jpg

It's interesting coming back to ROE. It's my favorite format, but I was playing it before I was into competitive magic. So now I'm playing all my old cards again with a whole new evaluation of how useful everything is.

Anyways, pick blockers, ramp and bombs and you'll be able to figure out the rest by playing.

Generally the best colors work out like this:

Green
Blue/Black
Red/White

It's pretty easy to get cut going green, but it's the best so it doesn't always matter. Drana is the wingmate roc of the draft, so pick that if you open her.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156527068]It's interesting coming back to ROE. It's my favorite format, but I was playing it before I was into competitive magic. So now I'm playing all my old cards again with a whole new evaluation of how useful everything is.

Anyways, pick blockers, ramp and bombs and you'll be able to figure out the rest by playing.[/QUOTE]

I lost as usual

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156527758]If you set up a stream I can walk you through some picks. Is that allowed?[/QUOTE]

It might be but I wouldn't watch.

I don't have unlimited money to be bad at formats everyone else did a billion times and can kick my ass at, especially when they can kick my ass at every limited format anyways

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156527821]No I mean you stream while you play and I just skype in or whatever.[/QUOTE]

No, I have way too much pride for that. I'd rather just not play the format anymore.

Unfortunately, "I have no idea what I'm doing" can be fun if the format isn't one everyone remembers and can demolish you at. Everyone apparently remembers this one.

Angry Grimace

I play limited like twice a month, maybe. Its just too hard on MTGO because everyone is good and playing in paper has a higher opportunity cost. My experience with flashback drafts is that some format you don't know shit about is rarely all that fun unless everyone else is clueless.

ElyrionX

Or you can be like me and choose not to play the limited formats at all, especially when it is so ridiculously priced on the MTGO platform. It still shocks me that people would pay to draft online.

In fact, the whole business model of MTGO is so goddamn flawed. They have such a huge opportunity to turn it into a massive money-making machine that would draw more players into the paper game if they would just come up with a contemporary digital sales strategy.

Or you can be like me and choose not to play the limited formats at all, especially when it is so ridiculously priced on the MTGO platform. It still shocks me that people would pay to draft online.

In fact, the whole business model of MTGO is so goddamn flawed. They have such a huge opportunity to turn it into a massive money-making machine that would draw more players into the paper game if they would just come up with a contemporary digital sales strategy.

yep

it's hard to do this without cannibalizing the paper game though, and the paper game is basically free money, if low-growth

Maledict

Given the game is increasing in size with each expansion I'm not sure how low growth it is? did we ever manage to get the breakdown of that?

But yes, Wizards are deliberately sacrificing their on line potential to support the physical card market. whether that's the right decision or not remains to be seen, but they aren't idiots - they don't want a modern digital strategy.

Firemind

Question to the thread.

What are your favorite Flavor Texts in Dragons of Tarkir? Favorite individual card names?
I like the throwbacks to the past like on Fate Forgotten, Learn from the Past, Duress, Wandering Tombshell, Sarkhan's Rage, Tormenting Voice, Ainok Artillerist, Circle of Elders. As for names, Narset Transcendant sounds both elegant and badass, but for the uncommons and commons, I like the simplicity of Roast and the absurd Epic Confrontation. Which cards did you work on this time?

I'm amazed the species of temurland haven't gone extinct with a big apex predator in play for more than a thousand years. You can even read it on Dragon-Scarred Bear.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156527068]It's interesting coming back to ROE. It's my favorite format, but I was playing it before I was into competitive magic. So now I'm playing all my old cards again with a whole new evaluation of how useful everything is.

Anyways, pick blockers, ramp and bombs and you'll be able to figure out the rest by playing.

Generally the best colors work out like this:

Green
Blue/Black
Red/White

It's pretty easy to get cut going green, but it's the best so it doesn't always matter. Drana is the wingmate roc of the draft, so pick that if you open her.[/QUOTE]
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/throwback-draft-guide-rise-of-the-eldrazi/

Also, Gideon Jura is the Wingmate Roc of the format, mate. Drana is a chump.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156528202]As for everybody remembering ROE, then yeah. It's probably the most liked draft format overall.[/QUOTE]
I like to draft kiln fiends and distortion strikes with the sole purpose of trolling people who like roe.

red13th

I had no idea Avacyn Restored was like that (not a limited player) plus after reading that post I hate MaRo right now for swimming in a pool with money from AVR preorders.

I had no idea Avacyn Restored was like that (not a limited player) plus after reading that post I hate MaRo right now for swimming in a pool with money from AVR preorders.

I don't see how it was unreasonable to assume that it was selling well because people liked it. Wizards did later conclude that people really hated the draft, and it's often been mentioned in their posts that Dragons draft attempted to solve most of the problems with it--there's a lot more removal, for one thing. I can only imagine it takes time for all of their metrics for player satisfaction to start pointing at a clear picture--online complaints, the quickest data they can get, are notoriously unreliable for this.

kirblar

The takeaway was that casuals loved the set, hence us getting DTK and DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS for a 3rd set today. The Innistrad high definitely didn't hurt either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom