• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ah they are doing that again? The store owner confused me then, asking which promo I wanted to go with and showed me all the dragons.

Yeah you now get a random rare or Mythic from one of the clans in every set. The format is 4x DTK, 1x FRF, 1x Seeded.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Zombie Tribal

Creatures(12)
  • 4 Risen Executioner
  • 4 Gurmag Angler
  • 4 Sidisi, Undead Vizier

Spells(24):
  • 3 Thoughtseize
  • 4 Bile Blight
  • 4 Waste Not
  • 4 Dark Deal
  • 4 Rakshasa's Secret
  • 2 Hero's Downfall
  • 1 Whip of Erebos
  • 1 Crux of Fate
  • 1 Empty the Pits

Land(24):
  • 4 Radiant Fountain
  • 20 Swamp

Sideboard(15):
  • 3 Duress
  • 2 Ultimate Price
  • 2 Hero's Downfall
  • 3 Drown in Sorrow
  • 1 Crux of Fate
  • 4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel

Angry Grimace

haha I've been playing around with Rakshasa's Secret in Sultai Control recently. Its just a fun card to mess with that's just barely playable with the extra delve fuel.

The Waste Not-Dark Deal combo is just the silliest shit ever. I've played it three times on MODO and never lost a game. Its just too silly and luck-based on what your opponent's hand has in it and what you get out of it. You might as well go with a Purphoros-Rally the Ancestors combo deck.

Angry Grimace

Needs more Corpseweft.

corpseweft.jpg

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156452224]I thought about corpseweft and Stockpile, but I think they're just too conditional and having to sink the mana is kind of rough. Waste Not is more random, but it does some silly things.[/QUOTE]

It mostly does silly things that never end up being useful.

Dark Deal with Corpseweft and Waste Not out just probably wins you the game, even if you just draw into Corpseweft vs. already having it out. Granted, you need a higher number of creatures to really enable it, but I think Whip, Empty the Pits and Crux are deader cards than you're imagining. You also need some kind of creatures that aren't super expensive or super expensive Delve spells.
I like where you're going though, it sounds interesting.

It mostly does silly things that never end up being useful.

Dark Deal with Corpseweft and Waste Not out just probably wins you the game, even if you just draw into Corpseweft vs. already having it out. Granted, you need a higher number of creatures to really enable it, but I think Whip, Empty the Pits and Crux are deader cards than you're imagining. You also need some kind of creatures that aren't super expensive or super expensive Delve spells.

I like where you're going though, it sounds interesting.

That's what I meant by conditional, I don't have a ton of creatures and a third of them REALLY don't want to get exiled. If I was gonna play Corpseweft, I'd play stuff like Sultai Emissary or Black Cat that get double duty as exploit fodder while still being zombies for the executioner.

I also thought about splashing blue for river prowler and torrent elemental, but it didn't really go anywhere.

The three one-ofs are mostly just value tutor targets for sidisi.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156454744]That's what I meant by conditional, I don't have a ton of creatures and a third of them REALLY don't want to get exiled. If I was gonna play Corpseweft, I'd play stuff like Sultai Emissary or Black Cat that get double duty as exploit fodder while still being zombies for the executioner.

I also thought about splashing blue for river prowler and torrent elemental, but it didn't really go anywhere.

The three one-ofs are mostly just value tutor targets for sidisi.[/QUOTE]

I kind of think this kind of deck should be B/G with some Wayfinders and Tasigur rather than mono-B. You can use stuff like Commune/Wayfinder to fetch up creatures and fill the yard , etc. and you can use Nyx-Weaver to pull win-cons out of your graveyard.

Of course, that probably just moves it off of the whole "Dark Deal-Waste Note combo" thing. But I think the ultimate point is that the combo of those two individually bad cards isn't super amazing.

Used soulfires buyback last night for the first time to win with a bought back lightning strike. That was cute.

Super into the new jeskai aggro list that won scg last weekend.

I kind of think this kind of deck should be B/G with some Wayfinders and Tasigur rather than mono-B. You can use stuff like Commune/Wayfinder to fetch up creatures and fill the yard , etc. and you can use Nyx-Weaver to pull win-cons out of your graveyard.

Of course, that probably just moves it off of the whole "Dark Deal-Waste Note combo" thing. But I think the ultimate point is that the combo of those two individually bad cards isn't super amazing.

Zombie Tribal

Creatures(22)
  • 4 Satyr Wayfinder
  • 4 Sultai Emissary
  • 2 Pharika, God of Affliction
  • 4 Risen Executioner
  • 4 Gurmag Angler
  • 3 Sidisi, Undead Vizier
  • 1 Torrent Elemental

Spells(14):
  • 4 Commune with the Gods
  • 3 Necromancer's Stockpile
  • 3 Corpseweft
  • 4 Hero's Downfall

Land(24):
  • 4 Temple of Malady
  • 2 Jungle Hollow
  • 4 Llanowar Wastes
  • 2 Evolving Wilds
  • 2 Radiant Fountain
  • 9 Swamp
  • 1 Forest

Sideboard(15):
  • 4 Thoughtseize
  • 2 Display of Dominance
  • 2 Drown in Sorrow
  • 2 Crux of Fate
  • 3 Rakshasa Deathdealer
  • 2 Reclamation Sage

I dunno, Doesn't seem quite as exciting? I added an uncastable Torrent Elemental for spice purposes.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156461491]Zombie Tribal

Creatures(22)
  • 4 Satyr Wayfinder
  • 4 Sultai Emissary
  • 2 Pharika, God of Affliction
  • 4 Risen Executioner
  • 4 Gurmag Angler
  • 3 Sidisi, Undead Vizier
  • 1 Torrent Elemental

Spells(14):
  • 4 Commune with the Gods
  • 3 Necromancer's Stockpile
  • 3 Corpseweft
  • 4 Hero's Downfall

Land(24):
  • 4 Temple of Malady
  • 2 Jungle Hollow
  • 4 Llanowar Wastes
  • 2 Evolving Wilds
  • 2 Radiant Fountain
  • 9 Swamp
  • 1 Forest

Sideboard(15):
  • 4 Thoughtseize
  • 2 Display of Dominance
  • 2 Drown in Sorrow
  • 2 Crux of Fate
  • 3 Rakshasa Deathdealer
  • 2 Reclamation Sage

I dunno, Doesn't seem quite as exciting? I added an uncastable Torrent Elemental for spice purposes.[/QUOTE]

Gurmag Angler over Tasigur in a BG deck bro

rly

Angry Grimace

Deck: Zombies Fuck Yeah
u.gif
b.gif
g.gif

//creatures
4 Satyr Wayfinder
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Nyx Weaver
4 Risen Executioner
2 Sidisi, Undead Vizier
2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
2 Torrent Elemental

//spells
3 Hero's Downfall
4 Corpseweft
4 Murderous Cut
2 Sultai Charm
2 Bile Blight

//land
3 Swamp
2 Forest
1 Island
2 Llanowar Wastes
4 Opulent Palace
4 Polluted Delta
3 Temple of Malady
2 Temple of Mystery
1 Yavimaya Coast
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156462409]Zombie, dude

it's gonna be a 1-mana 9/9 once I got all 4 Executioners out dawg[/QUOTE]

Dude the actual zombie tribal benefit is terrible. All you get is the equivalent of Bad Moon.

Angry Grimace

It's not a zombie deck with only 2 zombies.

GB - 1, AG - 0, Griffyndor - 10

Corpseweft makes zombies

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156462892]At what point are you just a Sultai Midrange deck instead of Zombies, though?

I'm telling you bro, Zombie Krakens. 9/9s all day. That's the play.[/QUOTE]Dude that's some Vorthos shit right there

Its just a build around casual jank deck for Corpseweft and Risen Executioner. I mean, sure if Lotleth Troll was still around, we could make some legitimate shit, but its not.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156463333]Corpseweft + Torrent Elemental = infinite zombie potential[/QUOTE]

All we need now is a Golgari Grave-Troll reprint and a Lotleth Troll reprint.

So, I've recently started getting into Magic, I've played a bit in the past but really only started buying cards recently and I have a couple questions.

1. What's the recommended ratio of Creature, Non-Creature Spells and Lands?

2. What's the recommended number of high cost spells?

3. What is the correct way to play Black?

4. Should I run more than one color?

Sorry if these are basic things, just figured this would be the easiest place to ask. Thanks.

So, I've recently started getting into Magic, I've played a bit in the past but really only started buying cards recently and I have a couple questions.

Sorry if these are basic things, just figured this would be the easiest place to ask. Thanks.

The answer to all of those is, it depends. The only real answers I can give are that for the first question, you probably want 23-25 lands in a 60 card deck, and for the second, you generally don't want more than 2 or 3 unless your deck is designed to handle a lot.

I think you're approaching deck building the wrong way. Are there any cards or effects that you find appealing? Start off with some cards you like and then start gathering cards that take advantage of them or play in similar spaces.

Angry Grimace

1) It depends on the deck strategy. Some decks like control decks will run 1 or 2 total. Some critter/stompy decks will run close to 25.

2) It depends what you mean by high cost spells. You want to avoid stuff that's CMC of 6 or higher except in small quantities and in specific deck types.

3) Black almost always means you're running a lot of kill spells. There's no "correct" way to run it though.

4) Typically you want more than one color because colors have baked in weaknesses and another color could cover for it.

1. 20/20/20
2. None
3. Not playing siege rhino
4. No

:3

Are you trying to get us NBA-GAF'd? No offense, but if a new guy comes in and asks questions, its just not cool to give inside-joke responses for the benefit of the thread regulars.

Socat

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/columns/level-one-archive

This article series is pretty informative and written by Reid Duke, who I think comes across as a good teacher and ambassador for the game, although a lot of his articles are focused on Limited (Draft or Sealed Deck) play, I think there are a few that are universally applicable to Constructed play. Here are 3 guides that he wrote for 3 deck archetypes

Aggro http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/lo/aggro-decks-2014-09-29

Control http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/lo/control-decks-2014-10-06

Midrangehttp://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/lo/midrange-decks-2014-10-27

Hope this helps.

ultron87

Aaron, it'd also be helpful to let us know what you want to do with Magic and what you are building decks for. Are you playing casually with friends or going to stores and playing in tournaments?

Firemind

Are you trying to get us NBA-GAF'd? No offense, but if a new guy comes in and asks questions, its just not cool to give inside-joke responses for the benefit of the thread regulars.
What? Mono red is a legit starting point to get into competitive magic. Saves money on lands too. Sure, I'm biased towards red. Sue me.

Let's do a case study using a deck that I made. I started with this card:
Image.ashx

This card wants creature cards in my graveyard and enchantments. From there, I included cards like these:
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

And support cards that also take advantage of the theme:
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

First comment? Grisly Salvage is not Standard legal. Or Murderous Cut. Basically, they can't be there together.

And the deck you're proposing I did very well with last standard. Fun as hell. Include Pharika for instant speed activations for good blocks.

First comment? Grisly Salvage is not Standard legal. Or Murderous Cut. Basically, they can't be there together.

And the deck you're proposing I did very well with last standard. Fun as hell. Include Pharika for instant speed activations for good blocks.

Oh yeah, this is just a casual deck. I suppose I should have taken that in consideration when giving it as an example.

Firemind

I hate the new cube already. Vampires. Vampires everywhere.

Also I don't know how Chrome Mox works. It says nonartifact, nonland, so I exile an eldrazi. Can't tap it for mana. :lol

I hate the new cube already. Vampires. Vampires everywhere.

Also I don't know how Chrome Mox works. It says nonartifact, nonland, so I exile an eldrazi. Can't tap it for mana. :lol

Eldrazi don't have colors, so there is no color for the Mox to tap for. Colorless is not a color, so it can't tap for colorless

OnPoint

Cut is standard legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom