• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Guys, remember that LotV was almost reprinted recently. They swapped it out for crappy Lili due to the unexpected dominance of mono-black devotion. It's probably in a soon to happen set or supplemental product. As a dude who wants a playset of one of the most powerful cards in modern, I'm mad. As a dude who was fucking sick of MBD, LotV would have made standard pretty much unplayable. They made the right call there.

Now, MMA2 having an arbitrary cut off date for reprints...well, that is just fucking dumb. WotC is just super fond of setting their own arbitrary rules that always seem to end up going wrong. From there having to be a cycle that all arbitrarily had to be at the same rarity resulting in Tandris/VoR, to dragons all have to be the same thing, but with different spells stapled to them, it's basically their entire business model.
It's not. It's the RPTQ promo.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's not. It's the RPTQ promo.

Still disagree with this. I don't think they factor in promos when considering reprint policies to that extent. Maybe with relatively cheaper cards, but there is no way they're not going to reprint it soon after almost doing so and then seeing the price skyrocket.

kirblar

Still disagree with this. I don't think they factor in promos when considering reprint policies to that extent. Maybe with relatively cheaper cards, but there is no way they're not going to reprint it soon after almost doing so and then seeing the price skyrocket.
They absolutely do. When they were doing judge promos, they clearly were trying very hard not to accidentally tank one of them within the near future by reprinting them. It's the RPTQ promo, its not going to be reprinted this year, and may have to wait until MM3. Hopefully not though.

OnPoint

Batterskull will work for or against your line of thought here. If it's in MM2, then yes, they don't give two shits about the promo cards. If it isn't, then they consider that a viable reprint strategy.

WanderingWind

Chose my words carefully. Batterskull's high point was 25 bucks. Lili is 91 bucks and rising. One is also able to be affected by a limited reprint because it's a one of or maybe a 2 of. LotV is a 4 of in almost every deck that runs her and wouldn't be affected by promo reprints. And considering they knew Lili's price is important to manage (again, they were going to reprint her largely as a hedge on that rising even further) it's got to be in their short term plans.

OnPoint

Chose my words carefully. Batterskull's high point was 25 bucks. Lili is 91 bucks and rising. One is also able to be affected by a limited reprint because it's a one of or maybe a 2 of. LotV is a 4 of in almost every deck that runs her and wouldn't be affected by promo reprints. And considering they knew Lili's price is important to manage (again, they were going to reprint her largely as a hedge on that rising even further) it's got to be in their short term plans.

Batterskull would have slowly climbed higher and higher if it didn't have that reprint. WIthout it I'd say it would be closer to $30-$40 today. I do agree that the price won't budge much on LIli now with this reprint, but I believe that's also in part because they waited so damn long to bother. I wouldn't be shocked if we saw her in the block after BFZ if she's not going to be in MM3. I'd say maybe she'd be in BFZ, but Zendikar isn't her storyline, and I'd be shocked if they brought her into it.

kirblar

They don't crash their promos while they're in circulation. Full-stop.

It's a shitty situation but it's going to stay shitty until 2016 at the earliest.

Firemind

Could be worse. JTMS isn't even modern legal and he still demands $90.

1365827710703.jpg

Damn hoarders. :lol

WanderingWind

Batterskull would have slowly climbed higher and higher if it didn't have that reprint. WIthout it I'd say it would be closer to $30-$40 today. I do agree that the price won't budge much on LIli now with this reprint, but I believe that's also in part because they waited so damn long to bother. I wouldn't be shocked if we saw her in the block after BFZ if she's not going to be in MM3. I'd say maybe she'd be in BFZ, but Zendikar isn't her storyline, and I'd be shocked if they brought her into it.

I don't disagree with any of this.

It's a shitty situation but it's going to stay shitty until 2016 at the earliest.

I also don't think we'll see anything in 2015. We already know everything coming out and nothing is a good fit. It will happen in 2016 though. It being in a promo won't lower the price in any meaningful way. Your first point simply doesn't have enough data behind it as all we really have to go off from is Batterskull, Primeval and this year's Griselbrand.

Batterskull, from the beginning of the PTQ season it was given out to today has still went up in price by around ten bucks and again, it's only a 1-2 off. Titan was given out when it was still in freefall from constant standard play oversells and is now 2x its price at that point. Other than those two points of data, there isn't anything that has been printed that is a modern staple on the level of LotV. And even those two aren't on her level, considering she's the 12th most played non-land card in modern. Titan and Batterskull aren't even in the top 50.

tl:dr: We don't know if they're willing to allow the price of a recent or current promo to go down (I submit you can't "crash" the price of such a sought after mythic rare short of banning it or the archetype it belongs to) by reprinting shortly after or the promo is in the wild. We don't know this because this is a unique situation that they recently tried to remedy but couldn't due to real world factors.

I think what kirblar is saying is that when you see a card printed as a promo, you can guarantee that it won't see a mass printing for a while. The moment LotV was announced as the RPTQ promo, we should have known that it wouldn't get reprinted in 2015. Otherwise, the promo wouldn't have as much "value."

Aw, The Technomancer is banned. He always seemed like a level-headed guy/gal.

I say this having zero clue about what he did or did not say: in my experience with poking around GAF in the past, being "level-headed" isn't the quality that keeps you from getting banned should you venture into certain topics. :p

OnPoint

Could be worse. JTMS isn't even modern legal and he still demands $90.

[im]http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1365/82/1365827710703.jpg[/img]

Damn hoarders. :lol

I feel like JTMS is priced for as much as he is still for several small, but compounding reasons

1. Name recognition/allure - he's "modern power"
  2. Price memory
  3. Legacy/casual demand
  4. Speculation for a price jump
  5. One of like two good cards in a small set

WanderingWind

Well, he got banned for calling a guy an asshole. Granted, the guy said all Republicans should be killed and also got banned, but you know, blatantly calling somebody a name is a dice roll regardless. The mods giveth and the mods taketh away. Besides, he's smart enough to know that it was a likely outcome.

But sometimes, you just gotta say what's on your mind.
I think what kirblar is saying is that when you see a card printed as a promo, you can guarantee that it won't see a mass printing for a while. The moment LotV was announced as the RPTQ promo, we should have known that it wouldn't get reprinted in 2015. Otherwise, the promo wouldn't have as much "value."

I understand that is what he's saying. I disagree for the reasons I detailed in that long, boring data driven post. :p

ElyrionX

Yeah pretty much. The promos encourage player participation and to do that they need to have some value.

It's really fucking stupid to put a staple as a PTQ promo though considering that won't result in very many more copies in circulation.

WanderingWind

Holy shit, did it really jump in price like that? Dude. If you want me to hit you up with some funds, I got the cash to it. CFB was just out of them when I looked last and I have no LCS.

WanderingWind

Well, now I feel like a superdick. Rest assured, I am more than happy to pay for any pieces of the infect shell you have. I can't even find a goddamn Pendelhaven. I knew this was going to happen eventually. Infect is too good of a meta crack filler (get your mind out of the gutter GB). People are starting to hoard the pieces.

When I bought it on MTGO, the whole deck cost me under 10 bucks.

Firemind

don't worry about it.

I think I still have one pendelhaven. at least I remember I played one during time spiral block constructed to pump my scryb rangers. that card is now $10. this is why I'm not a speculative trader. :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156152698]wot da fuck

damnyougrimacelxu11.png
[/QUOTE]

you got rekt thats what

Firemind

YOU GOT BODIED.

last night I won a draft with six creatures. too bad I didn't manage to get a goblinslide with my quiet contemplation and jeskai ascendancy. imagine the value. one of my opponents said it was the most annoying deck he ever faced. i felt flattered.

also, one of my opponents asked me how to turn the cheating mode on and called me scum. :lol

Do you ever send chat messages like "get rekt, m8" to you opponents in MODO? Is that bad form?
I sent my message to my opponent saying "noooooo :(" when he exiled my rhino and I had utter end in my hand.

I don't know if it's bluffing or taunting, but it doesn't really matter. Modo opponents aren't really people.

If I was a streamer I'd say dumb shit to my opponents all the time lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Do you ever send chat messages like "get rekt, m8" to you opponents in MODO? Is that bad form?

Lol no, i had a dude try and time me out yesterday (e.g. just sit there for 15 minutes hoping I'd log) because he was mad he lost to my bitchin' Sultai Control deck.

I always report people who do this.

YOU GOT BODIED.

last night I won a draft with six creatures. too bad I didn't manage to get a goblinslide with my quiet contemplation and jeskai ascendancy. imagine the value. one of my opponents said it was the most annoying deck he ever faced. i felt flattered.

also, one of my opponents asked me how to turn the cheating mode on and called me scum. :lol

Do you remember the other cards?

Sounds amazing

I think the most important part about being a streamer is having cool catchphrases and pet names for your audience to make them feel like part of a community even though you're just monetizing your addictions. Maybe I should practice.

"Yo all my stream students, shoutouts to all the A-class donators in the audience tonight, you're what's keeping the dream alive. GBviewer86, thanks for staying a fan, dude. Tonight's 8-4 is for you good buddy. Before we get into it I just wanna remind everybody that until next tuesday you can use the code GBSTREAM and get 10% off your next pack of Ultra Pros at checkout. You know I got your backs covered."

Man, now I wanna set up a stream.

Joe Molotov

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156161800]I think the most important part about being a streamer is having cool catchphrases and pet names for your audience to make them feel like part of a community even though you're just monetizing your addictions. Maybe I should practice.

"Yo all my stream students, shoutouts to all the A-class donators in the audience tonight, you're what's keeping the dream alive. GBviewer86, thanks for staying a fan, dude. Tonight's 8-4 is for you good buddy. Before we get into it I just wanna remind everybody that until next tuesday you can use the code GBSTREAM and get 10% off your next pack of Ultra Pros at checkout. You know I got your backs covered."

Man, now I wanna set up a stream.[/QUOTE]

I'd watch that.

bigkrev

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156161800]I think the most important part about being a streamer is having cool catchphrases and pet names for your audience to make them feel like part of a community even though you're just monetizing your addictions. Maybe I should practice.

Man, now I wanna set up a stream.[/QUOTE]

Or you can be Brian Kibler, who quit MTGO except for SCG videos and now just streams Hearthstone, promoting his dog
CAPKTddWUAAAr7c.png

Angry Grimace

I think Brian Kibler quit Magic full stop.

Nah, he still gets paid to show up to the prerelease down the street from me.

Its funny, someone said he's the biggest Magic celebrity to me the other day at an LGS and I was like, "meh, I think in general LSV kinda took that over from him," since he actually seems to play Magic still.

Firemind

It was meant as a slight against him never getting results anymore. He only got lucky when he won that PT anyway.

oh shit kibler
kirblar
coincidence?

y2dvd

Well, now I feel like a superdick. Rest assured, I am more than happy to pay for any pieces of the infect shell you have. I can't even find a goddamn Pendelhaven. I knew this was going to happen eventually. Infect is too good of a meta crack filler (get your mind out of the gutter GB). People are starting to hoard the pieces.

When I bought it on MTGO, the whole deck cost me under 10 bucks.

I just need 4 Noble Heirarchs to complete my infect deck. Come on and be reprinted in MM2! CFB even talked about running four Goyfs in the sideboard. Gimme that reprint too!

Angry Grimace

It was meant as a slight against him never getting results anymore. He only got lucky when he won that PT anyway.

oh shit kibler
kirblar
coincidence?

I don't even know why people listen to him so seriously. He doesn't even like Modern very much and he hasn't done anything in Standard in quite a while.

bigkrev

oh shit kibler
kirblar
coincidence?

Still have no idea why Finkle didn't chump block that Wolf token :(

He's in that post HOF stage of his life where, if he had a high finish at a PT, might go to more events to chase the World Championship, but never has to worry about falling off the train

OnPoint

I don't even know why people listen to him so seriously. He doesn't even like Modern very much and he hasn't done anything in Standard in quite a while.

Him continuing to force green while LIfebane was in standard was the nail in the coffin for me.

He's engaging to listen to and vastly charismatic. He's a lot of fun, he's just not particularly interested in being good these days, and hates MODO with a passion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom