• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Yeah, but those have had more significant drawbacks than this one does. Firedrinker's drawback is insanely shitty against something like Roast, and Cackler can't block at all, whereas Zurgo can profitably block and his Dash ability is probably higher upside than the downsides combined.

Just don't unleash it? Cackler can block like a Polukranos if push comes to shove, Zurgo can never block anything bigger than a 1/X.

Zurgo is amazing no doubt, but there are real scenarios where you'd prefer a Cackler

OnPoint

I want a red creature that reads:

Spreader of Secrets 1R

Creature - Human Barkeep

T: Flip a coin.
- If heads: Draw a two cards
- If tails: Target opponent draws two cards

2/1​

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Just don't unleash it? Cackler can block like a Polukranos if push comes to shove, Zurgo can never block anything bigger than a 1/X.

Zurgo is amazing no doubt, but there are real scenarios where you'd prefer a Cackler

In reality, they're kind of the same thing, to be fair. You're not really gonna block with either one. But the Dash kind of puts it over for me in favor of Zurgo.

ironmang

It's not a bad piece of art, sort of sweet actually, but Thalia already had badass art

The original art is perfect. I don't hate the choice of Thalia as a promo though even if it's mostly irrelevant in all but legacy. Probably should have gone with something like Siege Rhino to please standard/modern players.

Got a response
sigmasonicx asked: The new Latest Developments article mentions that Dragon Tempest originally had your opponent's non-fliers enter tapped. I found that surprising, since I didn't think that was part of red's color pie outside of Urabrask the Hidden. Is it actually part of red's color pie?

No, it’s not Red. That’s why the card didn’t end up doing that.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Opened my fat pack for this set and I'm almost alarmed at how generally worthless this set is.

Angry Grimace

It makes me laugh how people are like "omg that guy won a match with Narset, best card in standard!"

(the other guy flooded out both games)

Joe Molotov

Opened my fat pack for this set and I'm almost alarmed at how generally worthless this set is.

I saw dudes walking out with 3 boxes last night. I was like

gvjG6h8.gif

I bought three packs and got a foil Anticipate tho, aww yeah.

ironmang

I saw dudes walking out with 3 boxes last night. I was like

gvjG6h8.gif

I bought three packs and got a foil Anticipate tho, aww yeah.

At the draft last night I felt so bad for the people buying boxes and cracking them. Only saw one Narcet pulled too and no Sarkhans out of ~4 boxes.

Angry Grimace

There's nothing that interest me. I'm just gonna get more Fate packs for prizes.

I just don't get it. The only things worth more than $10 are clearly overvalued. Its Narset, Sarkhan and Deathmist Raptor. Narset's overrated even assuming, for the sake of argument, that she's good in control, Sarkhan's in mediocre colors and Deathmist Raptor is a morph card.

See, at least Voice of Resurgence was a legit 4-of in decks that wanted that card.

I get a fat pack for every set, but this one was rough as fuck.

Firemind

Sarkhan is a Broodmate for five mana with the ability to draw cards. It's not like mono red Sarkhan where it's not easy to get value. Yeah he's probably not worth $20, but I think with a less opened set and future sets in mind, he can stabilize at $12-15.

Angry Grimace

The Fat Pack book says he's planning to remain on Tarkir to live amongst the dargonz

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I just don't get it. The only things worth more than $10 are clearly overvalued. Its Narset, Sarkhan and Deathmist Raptor. Narset's overrated even assuming, for the sake of argument, that she's good in control, Sarkhan's in mediocre colors and Deathmist Raptor is a morph card.

See, at least Voice of Resurgence was a legit 4-of in decks that wanted that card.

I get a fat pack for every set, but this one was rough as fuck.

Does DTK look much different than KTK would have looked without the fetches?
Serious question. I'm bad at MTG finance speculation.

Angry Grimace

Does DTK look much different than KTK would have looked without the fetches?
Serious question. I'm bad at MTG finance speculation.[/spoilers]
Its a combination of the power level being lower and not being the first set in a rotation.

Angry Grimace

Is there anything in DTK that could even potentially have the impact across formats that Dig, Treasure Cruise, or Siege Rhino had? Doesn't really seem like it at first glance.

Not really. I mean some of the hate cards are pretty decent in certain matchups, I guess. I guess Virulent Plague stops Splinter Twin from going off, but its a pretty cute way of doing it.

Is there anything in DTK that could even potentially have the impact across formats that Dig, Treasure Cruise, or Siege Rhino had? Doesn't really seem like it at first glance.
Nothing earth-shaking. It comes off as more of a supplement to the current deck archetypes we have in Standard.

I'm going to play with exploit for a bit and see how it compliments Sultai midrange.

Wichu

I took a break from G/W to play Chromantiflayer at FNM again, and it's solidified my belief that it's the Timmiest deck in Standard.

I was playing against U/W Heroic - he'd just hit me down to 4 life with an unblockable 5/5 Hero of Iroas, he was at 18 with a a pile of blockers and a mana open (presumably for Gods Willing).

He wasn't expecting the 16/16 first strike flying haste hexproof lifelink trample vigilance out of nowhere.

It was awesome.

Firemind

Finally won my first cube with U/B control splashing white for Sphinx's Revelation.

I was planning to draft reanimator as a backup plan, but some schmuck took the Griselbrand. I sure showed him in the first round by Treachery'ing it! Then I got paired to someone who got both Ugin and JTMS. Forbid did some serious work. Third round got paired to mono red and g1 I managed to force spike him twice. In the second game I lost to t1 Goblin Guide shenanigans. In the third game, Old Man of the Sea did some work and let me stabilize. Spellskite protected me from burn onwards. Apparently, mono red is still a thing, although my opponent had to play subpar cards like Taylor Swiftspear, Mogg War Marshal and Siege-Gang Commander. PS. Ashiok is sick. So underrated.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157781791]Wow, snaps are fifty bucks now. They were 25 just a few months back.[/QUOTE]
Watch it be the 2016 WMCQ promo.

EN_PRM_WMC_Qualifier_ThaliaGuardianofThraben.png

WMCQ promo

Not sure if I like this direction for Magic art

steve argyle: one of the worst artists in magic's history

Some interesting details from the latest Latest Developments. Notably, Sarkhan was originally going to be Jund, but they realized that a Jund planeswalker would be hard to cast in this Standard, so they talked to the creative team and had him changed to Temur.

This kind of conceptually annoys me just because the justification for Sarkhan (a dude whose time travel experience basically just told him that he was already doing everything right) being blue is so flimsy.

Reddit thread theorizes that Sorin vamp'd Nahiri. Seems likely.

The main thing that argues against this for me is... it's not like we really need two black-white vampire planeswalkers.

Nothing I love more than art reviews from someone with no art experience, the dude writes articles like they were reddit self posts. He's not entirely wrong, but his reasoning is completely uninformed and the tone is grating. He's a petulant child yelling I DON'T LIKE THING to whoever will listen.

Yeef

Someone opened a foil Narset today.

Also, in Pack 2 of the draft, I got 5th pick Sunscorch Regent at a table full of people that should have known better. I was already solidly in Dromoka so there was no way for me to not take it.

ultron87

I only won draft games today with Dragons. Wooooo Dragons. It helped that they were Sunscorch Regent and Dragonlord Atarka. Oh, and a Dromoka Monument. Poor opponents getting Atarka resolved against them.

Definitely saw other people winning with other strategies of course. Both red black and blue white looked like they could be super aggressive.

It is kind of odd going into FRF as pack 3 and trying to fill your deck out with that mediocrity.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Speaking of Lavalanche...
argyle%2B01.jpg

What a perfect example of the worst of Shards design in an utterly exemplary manner. There is no goddamn reason this is anything other than a mono-red card. Hell, you could even cost it the same, if you told me it was XRRR I wouldn't even bat an eye. As with far far too many cards in the Shards block this is multicolor purely so it can be.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It's Bonfire.

Yes, it totally is. They've also used it on Chandra like, at least twice I think. And the effect was definitely in Red's slice of the pie since forever

Feh this always makes me want to go hunting for other shards multicolor cards I have a problem with. Instead I'll go to bed

Feh this always makes me want to go hunting for other shards multicolor cards I have a problem with. Instead I'll go to bed

Boo, be a hater instead!

The single worst from each of the other four shards (putting aside cycles like the Sojourners that are all bullshit):

106.jpg
192.jpg
123.jpg
127.jpg

(It's so hard to pick for Bant, there are so many shitty options.)

Actually, looking through cards for this made me realize just how much better they handled this with Khans -- there aren't anything like as many obvious, horribly off 3-color cards there.

Angry Grimace

Drafted a mediocre Ojutai deck but managed to 2-0 and split first place. Just barely lost the last game when we played it out afterwards. Just stick to your colors and either wait or be willing to switch into a different color for the rare or uncommon dragons seemed like a decent strategy.

Very easy format compared to Khans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom