• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

red13th

only card I want from this set that I still haven't preordered is Dragonlord Atarka. everything else I was really cheap so I preordered a bunch, even if they drop I won't lose much money lol

Yeef

I've preordered nothing from this set and I regret nothing. I'm not savvy enough to pick the next Tasigur so I've sat this one out. Like all sets prices will generally fall for the weeks after release. My Abzan Aggro deck will take me through rotation
Radiant Purge seems like it'll make Abzan a lot tougher to play.

I'm working on retrofitting my janky legends deck from Jeskai to Mardu. I've been playing some test builds and it actually works surprisingly well. Not enough to be competitive, but enough that it doesn't just get rolled over by competitive decks. Here's what I'm currently working with if memory serves (at a work right now):

Creatures
  • 3x Zurgo Bellstriker
  • 3x Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
  • 4x Tymaret, the Burger King
  • 3x Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
  • 2x Anax and Cymede
  • 2x Brimaz, King of Oreskos

Spells
  • 4x Hero's Blade
  • 4x Lightning Strike
  • 4x Valorous Stance
  • 2x Ultimate Price
  • 2x Murderous Cut
  • 4x Kolaghan's Command

23 Various Lands

I'm working on retrofitting my janky legends deck from Jeskai to Mardu. I've been playing some test builds and it actually works surprisingly well. Not enough to be competitive, but enough that it doesn't just get rolled over by competitive decks. Here's what I'm currently working with if memory serves (at a work right now):

Creatures
  • 3x Zurgo Bellstriker
  • 3x Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
  • 4x Tymaret, the Burger King
  • 3x Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
  • 2x Anax and Cymede
  • 2x Brimaz, King of Oreskos

Spells
  • 4x Hero's Blade
  • 4x Lightning Strike
  • 4x Valorous Stance
  • 2x Ultimate Price
  • 2x Murderous Cut
  • 4x Kolaghan's Command

23 Various Lands

Needs Daxos of Meletis.

MjFrancis

You're probably right. My only hope is that they don't catch on too much in my local meta. Otherwise I'll have to aggro some other way. I almost always roll aggro.

Briefly flirted with U/B Control this season. I guess I could go back if I end up getting crushed.

Yeef

Needs Daxos of Meletis.
I had Daxos in the Jeskai version (which i was playing before Dragons hit); he does a lot of work, but not enough to justify dipping into a 4th color.

Typically, Command and Strike are great at dealing with small to medium creatures, Cut, Price and Stance are great at dealing with bigger creatures, so I'm happy with the removal suite. Command also deals with whip, which is one of the cards that the deck was weak to before I put it in. Command, Strike and Tymaret all provide a good amount of reach; Tymaret works especially well with Brimaz and Alesha.

Dragonlord Atarka will make top 8 of Pro Tour Dragons of Tarkir.

untitled53xza.png

I see GB can't decide on an avatar.

I've been using this TF2 avatar for far too long - long after I stopped playing TF2 that's for sure. I feel like I should change to some sort of MTG avatar, but have been far too lazy to find one.

EDIT: The Modern Rotisserie draft moved significantly last night. It seems fairly clear where people are going from here. Rashad next-leveled the entire table and first-picked Glimpse the Unthinkable followed by Hedron Crab; of course, Sam Black then took Shelldock Isle and later Emrakul, so Rashad can never beat him, and BDM snagged the Splinter Twin combo. The rest of the table looks to be pretty solidly into "goodstuff" decks - somehow Marshall wheeled Liliana of the Veil and got to follow it back up with Thoughtseize, so I really like his position.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...q3ik79wdqNxc4iXPF5DUk/htmlview?sle=true#gid=0

EDIT2: I really don't like Prosak second-picking Restoration Angel when Thoughtseize and Liliana were still there. Lingering Souls would be defensible, but still not ideal. Pikula also didn't need to second pick Temple Garden most likely, but it could be that he thinks that the Rafiq strategy is going to be wide open, so he wants to take the cards that he might have to fight over early (but in that case, I would probably have taken Windswept Heath before Temple Garden).

EDIT3: I don't like BDM's position either. He's going to be fighting with Randy and Aaron the whole draft, and while he wastes his first four picks on combo pieces, they're going to grab the cards that his deck really needs (Clique, Bolt, Snapcaster, Batterskull, etc are already gone).

Firemind

Welp I just bought a foil Atarka for 12 and a foil Ojutai for 10. Figure they're not going to drop much more given the casual appeal. Not sure about the other dragonlords though. Rakdos has Bladewing, Selesnya has Sigarda and Dimir has a bunch of sweet generals.

Also bit the dust and got Sarkhan for 12.50. I don't think it'll drop more before PT Dragons.

Arksy

I don't know what I think about this set.

I really miss prowess and delve, but I'd be lying if I said formidable, rebound and exploit weren't really fun mechanics.

Matriox

I see GB can't decide on an avatar.

I've been using this TF2 avatar for far too long - long after I stopped playing TF2 that's for sure. I feel like I should change to some sort of MTG avatar, but have been far too lazy to find one.

I just find a picture of a game I'm playing (ideally it has a crab in the game of some sort, I have an odd fascination with crabs) and throw it in a magic border. It changes a lot but I figure it will be easy to find out who the guy who keeps using magic cards is :p
Welp I just bought a foil Atarka for 12 and a foil Ojutai for 10. Figure they're not going to drop much more given the casual appeal. Not sure about the other dragonlords though. Rakdos has Bladewing, Selesnya has Sigarda and Dimir has a bunch of sweet generals.

Also bit the dust and got Sarkhan for 12.50. I don't think it'll drop more before PT Dragons.

Yeah those Dragons are gonna be worth something eventually simply because they're Dragons. They're a good long term hold or easy trade for someone who loves dargons. Sarkhan seems way too low right now for how good he is, probably a good idea to nab some myself.

OnPoint

It's funny because a few of the writers out there are saying that this is a third set in line with the likes of New Phyrexia.

I'll buy a fat pack, mostly for the box, I guess.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'll buy a fat pack and I already overpaid to pre-order mah dragons because I'm dumb and need a dragon deck for reasons.

Firemind

I just realized there's a red Drown in Sorrow in DTK. This is huge. Before, you couldn't really play Sylvan Caryatid and Anger of the Gods in the same deck. Now you can play Caryatid and have a way to deal with token strategies, without Caryatid dying to shock.

3 elvish mystic
4 sylvan caryatid
3 courser of kruphix
4 thunderbreak regent
4 stormbreath dragon
1 xenagos, god of revels
3 dragonlord atarka

4 sarkhan unbroken
1 chandra, pyromaster

4 crater's claws
3 seismic rupture
2 roast

24 lands

I might sleeve this up for testing purposes.

OnPoint

I just realized there's a red Drown in Sorrow in DTK. This is huge. Before, you couldn't really play Sylvan Caryatid and Anger of the Gods in the same deck. Now you can play Caryatid and have a way to deal with token strategies, without Caryatid dying to shock.

Some of us might call it a Pyroclasm variant lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

3 elvish mystic
4 sylvan caryatid
3 courser of kruphix
4 thunderbreak regent
4 stormbreath dragon
1 xenagos, god of revels
3 dragonlord atarka

4 sarkhan unbroken
1 chandra, pyromaster

4 crater's claws
3 seismic rupture
2 roast

24 lands

I might sleeve this up for testing purposes.

Heh, this looks like the deck I was building earlier:

Deck: Temur Dragons
u.gif
r.gif
g.gif

//CREATURES
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Savage Knuckleblade
4 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Thunderbreak Regent
1 Dragonlord Atarka

//SPELLS
2 Sarkhan Unbroken
3 Roast
4 Crater's Claws
3 Stubborn Denial

//LANDS
3 Shivan Reef
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Yavimaya Coast
1 Temple of Abandon
2 Forest
2 Mountain
1 Temple of Epiphany
2 Mana Confluence
4 Frontier Bivouac

//Sideboard
4 Display of Dominance
3 Goblin Rabblemaster
2 Seismic Rupture
2 Surrak, the Hunt Caller
2 Encase in Ice
2 Disdainful Stroke

Firemind

I don't think Knuckleblade is very good anymore with G/W Devotion and Abzan running rampant. Same reason I don't like Polukranos. Stubborn Denial seems decent if you can spare the mana, but without Knuckleblade, it's a bit loose. Perhaps the two Phoenixes for more air support? Pyroclasm doesn't hit them yay.

Because you get to have them bolt themselves trying to kill your Regent and then counter it anyway.
That is a very good point.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157589923]Why play Stubborn Denial when you can just play more dragons? Or the Descent of the Dragons + Dragon Tempest wombo combo?[/QUOTE]

Becuase Stubborn Denial kicks ass

is this is a serious question?

Angry Grimace

My dream is to be on the draw and counter their Mastery of the Unseen on t2.

Force Spike mode actually works all the time. Its hilarious when it does.

I'm really disappointed that Icefall Regent only works on itself though. If it worked like Thunderbreak Regent, it would be so hilarious.

Does anybody else wish that they would just give us d6s at pre-releases? I'd actually keep and use them as opposed to throwing them into a bag with all my other spindowns. Save d20s for special events like the dragonfury minigame. Who would I even complain to about this.

Angry Grimace

People underestimate how good the Force Spike mode is on DragonCounterSpell.

I thought about it in that Dragon deck, but my testing so far doesn't leave me terribly confident in my ability to produce UU all the time.

ultron87

Does anybody else wish that they would just give us d6s at pre-releases? I'd actually keep and use them as opposed to throwing them into a bag with all my other spindowns. Save d20s for special events like the dragonfury minigame. Who would I even complain to about this.

I feel like with the number of new to tournament players at a Prerelease the Spindown would give the most utility out of the possible inclusions. People being encouraged to keep track of their life totals in some capacity (instead of in their head) probably handles the most potential headaches.

Jhriad

Jeez, those are nice prices. Buying locally? I'd buy Sarkhan if I could find him for a reasonable price.

I feel like with the number of new to tournament players at a Prerelease the Spindown would give the most utility out of the possible inclusions. People being encouraged to keep track of their life totals in some capacity (instead of in their head) probably handles the most potential headaches.
Problem with that is that spindowns aren't particularly stable. Seems like most the people I play with who use spindowns at the beginning of tournaments stop using them by the end because they keep getting knocked all over the place.

Firemind

Jeez, those are nice prices. Buying locally? I'd buy Sarkhan if I could find him for a reasonable price.
For some reason, prices in Europe are slightly less exorbitant. For example, I can get Liliana of the Veil for €65, Tarmogoyf for €115, NM Force of Will for €65, NM Volcanic Island for €170 and NM Underground Sea for €180. Maybe the demand is just that much higher in the US? Or are the big guns keeping prices artificially high?

Angry Grimace

For some reason I find the "Week One Standard" article on CFB really funny.

Its written as though we're at a rotation and you have no idea what to expect, despite the fact its not actually week one of a rotation and you can basically expect whatever was there last week with Roast in it.

Joe Molotov

For some reason I find the "Week One Standard" article on CFB really funny.

Its written as though we're at a rotation and you have no idea what to expect, despite the fact its not actually week one of a rotation and you can basically expect whatever was there last week with Roast in it.

I heard Siege Rhino might be gud, can anyone confirm/deny?

Matriox

The general reaction that I'm seeing to the rules change for Commander basically confirms to me that people take that format waaaaay too seriously.

Haha I came to a similar conclusion. We had a local fnm group have a 200+ post conversation about how it ruins the format.

Edit: now realizing I'm a hypocrit.. I just bought a judge promo Force of Will for my edh deck lol.
About to open a box :)

Will post the haul once I get home in a few hours.

Good luck!

why is that Divisionbyzorro? I thought it was a good change tbh but I'm not an EDH player

I think it was a completely reasonable and rational change. I think it's a net positive for the format.

Reddit/MTGS/the official forums/Facebook/etc are all blowing up about how it has "ruined" the format, that the rules committee should be broken up, that WotC should manage the format from now on, that Sheldon Menery is "up his own ass," that the articles he wrote were "condescending" and "patronizing," that the RC plays in an "inbred metagame," yada yada yada. Basically there seems to be nothing but vitriol (or at least, the reasonable comments are getting pushed into obscurity, which I suppose is par for the course for the internet).

Matriox

Seems so crazy to me. It's a casual format. Who actually wants their Commander tucked? Besides, you can always just have your playgroup keep tucks? Isn't that what edh is all about (having fun with a playgroup and adjust your own rules anyways)?

Seems so crazy to me. It's a casual format. Who actually wants their Commander tucked? Besides, you can always just have your playgroup keep tucks? Isn't that what edh is all about (having fun with a playgroup and adjust your own rules anyways)?

People are bitching that it makes certain commanders too good. Fine, then just ban those commanders. Problem solved.

It's not like the format was balanced because 2/100 cards in one player's deck might be able to tuck a Derevi.

Firemind

Some nerds are just tryhards.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157639363]That one guy with 1996 World Champion is crying now.[/QUOTE]

For some reason the "go to quoted post" button in your post takes me to the Fallout 3 OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom