• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Derevi seems like a big mistake to me. again, disclaimer, not an EDH player etc
A lot of the "hey this is especially for EDH" cards have wound up as obnoxious problems.

They actually had a meeting specifically about backing off that style of card. (Command Zone effects, Gatecrash Primordials.)

Crocodile

People are bitching that it makes certain commanders too good. Fine, then just ban those commanders. Problem solved.

It's not like the format was balanced because 2/100 cards in one player's deck might be able to tuck a Derevi.

That doesn't work if you play with people outside a regular playgroup. I also don't see how a rule that might encourage the banning of more commanders is a good thing.

Matriox

I just know from what I've experienced, when a group runs into a commander/deck that others don't like/lose to all the time, they just hate them out lol. Shrugs, I lost my hinder and spell crumple but oh well, I'll just keep countering it until they stop trying to play it.

Derevi wasn't counterable to begin with so I guess that doesn't change much for me.

That doesn't work if you play with people outside a regular playgroup. I also don't see how a rule that might encourage the banning of more commanders is a good thing.

I basically don't accept the argument that problematic commanders were legitimately held in check by a handful of narrow answer cards. If they need to be banned now, they needed to be banned anyway.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If you get upset by the change, you probably had the upset coming for being an EDH player.

Basically any change to the EDH rules is going to make someone upset about how well their un-fun combo bullshit deck either works or doesn't work.

What really gets me is people who absolutely refuse to roll a single d6 to decide play/draw.

I'm like, dude, the amount of time it took you to decline and pull your fancy pair of dice out of a bag is way more effort than rolling again if we get the same number.

Also people that get pissed when they realize the die I offer only has twos and sixes on it. We rolled the same damn die, I'm not trying to cheat here. Ever heard of a coin flip?

UG aggro is the new Kiln Fiend deck in DTK

elusivespellfistpcuk3.jpg

ainokartilleristlfu7k.jpg
coniferstriderfgu8v.jpg
taigamsstriketrumz.jpg

zephyrscribeoluzq.jpg
refocuszkyju.jpg

Crocodile

I basically don't accept the argument that problematic commanders were legitimately held in check by a handful of narrow answer cards. If they need to be banned now, they needed to be banned anyway.

I'll agree that an annoying commander (it doesn't just have to be a degenerate one) doesn't becomes broken sans tuck effects. However they do become harder to manage and a line of interaction against them is removed. I don't feel it makes for a better format and "shame your friends until they don't play that general" has never really been a good solution to EDH problems for a variety of reasons.

Matriox

I know it isn't a perfect solution, it just works out that way. If one guy keeps winning then folks gang up on that person, kind of makes sense.

ultron87

Wait are spindowns not random? How? The chance of landing any side should be the same as any other no?
If you give them a good toss they should be fine but if you half heartedly roll them or drop em the orientation they start at probably matters way more. It just feels like cheating the roll on a spin down would be easier.

Jhriad

Not entirely sure if this works but if I have a Kolaghan Aspirant attacking and a Bow of Nylea in play does the Aspirant kill all the creatures that attempt to block it before combat damage is dealt? That's right, right?

Firemind

As long as you toss them in such a way that they have a healthy number of spins in the air, they're fine as random number generators.
The problem is that, in my experience, people don't. Either in fear of the dice rolling off the table or that tossing and spinning it in the air just isn't intuitive to most people. Usually I see people try to gently roll a d20 off from their palm like you would with d6s. Since there isn't a lot of force exerted and a d20 is quite a bit heavier than a d6, it just rolls a small distance, not even a full turn in most cases. The irony is that d20s have to be heavier and bigger than random d20s since they're also used as life counters, which in effect makes them suck as a rng.

OnPoint

Uncharted Realms: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/sorins-restoration-2015-03-27

"Sorin's Restoration" or Sorin Totally Saved Ugin All on his Own.

Sorin wakes Ugin up from the hedron cocoon. Ugin says they need Nahiri as well to deal with the Eldrazi. Sorin says she isn't dead but it sounds like something happened to her or between the two of them and won't say where she is. Everyone is going to go to Zendikar.

Sweet can't wait for the drama /sarcasm

OnPoint

If it's something stupid like "Sorin and Nahiri fell in love and he made her a vampire but now she hates him buu buuu buuuuuu" I'm gonna be so let down.

red13th

I don't hate new Thalia, but it's SO MUCH worse than the original, then again the original is great.
Fake edit, just saw that DKA Thalia is drawn by the same artist as Angelic Destiny and they really look alike.

Another 3-0 in Cube:

I felt terrible about the draft before the first round - I was pretty sure that this pile of Magic cards wasn't going to get anything done, but fortunately I was able to pretty regularly assemble a gameplan. I had one bad mulligan that lost me a game, but that was the only game I lost in the draft. Everybody else had worse decks than me! It felt like nobody at the table knew what they were doing.

I had a really interesting pick in pack three: do you take Jace, the Mind Sculptor or Consecrated Sphinx? I took Sphinx because I already had Entomb/Reanimate and Gifts/Rites, but it physically hurt me to do so.

I was actually trying to record the draft so you guys could laugh at me, but I couldn't get Fraps to cooperate. I'm going to have to play around with it some more.

Some interesting details from the latest Latest Developments. Notably, Sarkhan was originally going to be Jund, but they realized that a Jund planeswalker would be hard to cast in this Standard, so they talked to the creative team and had him changed to Temur. Also, they were going to have Lens of Clarity be reprinted in Dragons but decided against it; and Dragon Tempest was originally going to have your opponent's non-fliers enter the battlefield tapped instead of dealing damage. I'm surprised that that is still in red's color pie and not just a one-off thing for Urabrask.

I didn't realize that Lens of Clarity helps your Manifest cards until I was recently leafing through some Khans bulk. Nice, clever touch there.

kirblar

spoiler: Red's going to start getting Grizzly Bears.

Once you print a 2/2 for R that can't block, you're basically past the point of no return anyway. There's just been massive early-drop power creep recently.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I was going to ask Maro about how the fuck Zurgo is a printable card in red before he stopped posting on his blog. Zurgo's drawbacks are essentially illusory.

Once you print a 2/2 for R that can't block, you're basically past the point of no return anyway. There's just been massive early-drop power creep recently.

The thing is, he CAN block. The only relevant thing he can't block is Goblin Rabblemaster (who he'd be able to trade for if not for his Ironclaw Orcs clause).

bigkrev

I was going to ask Maro about how the fuck Zurgo is a printable card in red before he stopped posting on his blog. Zurgo's drawbacks are essentially illusory.

The thing is, he CAN block. The only relevant thing he can't block is Goblin Rabblemaster (who he'd be able to trade for if not for his Ironclaw Orcs clause).

They have been putting 2 powered 1 drops into red for a while now. I'd say that Zurgo is about the same power level as Rakdos Cackler

You know, they did already print a 2/2 haste creature for R with a minor drawback that is often even an upside, which sees a fair amount of play.
Image.ashx

The other downside is that Zurgo is legendary. You can't just go free-wheelin' with 4-of in a deck without a plan for when you draw three of him in a game.

kirblar

People preferring the Pack-Per-Win to 6-2-2-2 on Twitter completely baffle me.

Because winning 1 pack is oh so much fun. Maybe that's an indication that they prefer it not because it's giving them a guaranteed 3 games, but because they're not good.

Crocodile

Some interesting details from the latest Latest Developments. Notably, Sarkhan was originally going to be Jund, but they realized that a Jund planeswalker would be hard to cast in this Standard, so they talked to the creative team and had him changed to Temur. Also, they were going to have Lens of Clarity be reprinted in Dragons but decided against it; and Dragon Tempest was originally going to have your opponent's non-fliers enter the battlefield tapped instead of dealing damage. I'm surprised that that is still in red's color pie and not just a one-off thing for Urabrask.

Ashling's Prerogative in says the ability has been Red before Urabrask but likely only part of a symmetrical haste/anti-haste effect.

The other downside is that Zurgo is legendary. You can't just go free-wheelin' with 4-of in a deck without a plan for when you draw three of him in a game.

Speaking of the Legendary drawback, are they ever going to bring Grandeur back? I thought that tested/polled well?

Jhriad

Maybe that's an indication that they prefer it not because it's giving them a guaranteed 3 games, but because they're not good.

As someone that's looking for value (cards) first and then reps I could see why someone wouldn't care for that format if they didn't think they were above average. I might get reps out of game three after going 0-2 but I'm not getting any return value so it's not worth it. Of course, I don't really think MTGO is good value to start so I don't bother with it. At least if I do poorly at my LGS or with a group of friends I still got some good social time out of the event.

Angry Grimace

They have been putting 2 powered 1 drops into red for a while now. I'd say that Zurgo is about the same power level as Rakdos Cackler

He's a 2/2 that can block and neither Legendary nor the block clause is a terribly serious drawback.

Mountain, Mountain, Mountain, Foundry Street Denizen, Zurgo, Zurgo, Zurgo

Keep or mull

YOU DECIDE

Firemind

I think I played 4 Isamaru when White Weenie was a thing.
And 4 Jitte obviously.

Another 3-0 in Cube:

I felt terrible about the draft before the first round - I was pretty sure that this pile of Magic cards wasn't going to get anything done, but fortunately I was able to pretty regularly assemble a gameplan. I had one bad mulligan that lost me a game, but that was the only game I lost in the draft. Everybody else had worse decks than me! It felt like nobody at the table knew what they were doing.

I had a really interesting pick in pack three: do you take Jace, the Mind Sculptor or Consecrated Sphinx? I took Sphinx because I already had Entomb/Reanimate and Gifts/Rites, but it physically hurt me to do so.

I was actually trying to record the draft so you guys could laugh at me, but I couldn't get Fraps to cooperate. I'm going to have to play around with it some more.
Congratulations. At least someone is having success with the new cube.

bigkrev

He's a 2/2 that can block and neither Legendary nor the block clause is a terribly serious drawback.

Sure, but Cackler was easier to cast, was immune to several of the premium removal spells of the era (Doom Blade and Ultimate Price), and was a better blocker in late game situations (where it could chump anything when played as a 1/1).

Point is that they have had no problems printing 2 powered 1 drops (with some sort of minor drawback)in Red anymore. The last 3 blocks have had one. It's just something they don't want too many of

Angry Grimace

Sure, but Cackler was easier to cast, was immune to several of the premium removal spells of the era (Doom Blade and Ultimate Price), and was a better blocker in late game situations (where it could chump anything when played as a 1/1).

Point is that they have had no problems printing 2 powered 1 drops (with some sort of minor drawback)in Red anymore. The last 3 blocks have had one. It's just something they don't want too many of

Yeah, but those have had more significant drawbacks than this one does. Firedrinker's drawback is insanely shitty against something like Roast, and Cackler can't block at all, whereas Zurgo can profitably block and his Dash ability is probably higher upside than the downsides combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom