• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
I trade my shitty standard cards over value for eternals all the time. I traded a stack of abzan aggro cards for a Vampiric Tutor, shocks and a deathrite a couple weeks back, that was pretty sweet.

I only pick mana rocks high if I have Upheaval or Sphinx's Revelation. Otherwise tapping out for an artifact and setting myself up to get blown out by aggro is not something I want to do. The only one that is acceptable in the current cube is Gilded Lotus as you can still hold a counterspell when you're tapped out. But otherwise, Fact or Fiction and Impulse all day.

T2 Mind Stone to enable a T3 Wrath of God could be just the blowout you need; plus, the 2CC rocks can be played on later turns and still hold up relevant mana. I dunno; Mind Stone is something I really like because it doesn't lose value later in the game, but the others don't excite me (Chalice is borderline). Typically I agree with you though. For example, I would pick Remove Soul over a Mind Stone in this cube if I knew I was going to be blue, as an example. But I might pick a Mind Stone over a Remove Soul if we're on the second overall pick in the draft and I don't know where I am just yet.

EDIT: I think the big rocks, like Basalt Monolith, are classic "best case scenario mentality" cards. The games where you play a battle-ball on turn 4 are awesome. But there are games where the card is just air. Unless you're playing an actual ramp deck (or in the case of the Monolith, if you're trying to assemble the Wake Thrasher combo) those kinds of cards don't belong in your deck.

June FNM promo
EN_cardpromo_FrostWalker.png

And Dragons of Tarkir survey!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Told you it wasn't Mythic.

249_MTGTPR_EN.png

So I've been thinking about this for a while -- is Force of Will effectively more powerful than the power 9? I feel like it should be labeled as a power card. It is more insane than most other cards in magic.

What? Not at all. Its just good not great against a fair deck.

y2dvd

Plateau is probably the least played dual and Scrubland is not far behind. Ugin is probably not going much higher, but knowing more about the eternal scene wouldn't have hurt. There's always the EDH tryhards I guess.

Yeah, I definitely should've done my own look up and research when making big trades. Gonna do what bigkrev mentioned and sit on it for a year unless I can trade up in value to make up for the lost. Does the majority goes by tcg mid prices? Seems that way at my lgs'.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, mid prices seems pretty standard. But, Ugin may drop like a rock even before he rotates out of standard. Don't beat yourself up about it too much just yet. It could very well be a 50 dollar card in a year.

On another note, I realized just by my play choices when drafting and what I want to build, I think Prowess is my favorite mechanic since Undying.

Crocodile

Unlike high-end threats or card draw, artifact mana, especially cheap (2 CMC) artifact mana is at a HIGH premium in the MODO Cube. I think its absolutely right to prioritize them over the more average/mediocre control spells. This is Cube, its really hard to stop other people from drafting Blue if they want to. Furthermore, the mana rocks let you cast you stabilizing spells more quickly - they hep you NOT get blown out by aggro, not the other way around.

Firemind

You guys make it seem wraths are plentiful to go around and expected in your opening hand. What do you guys want to ramp into? Planeswalkers? Blue walkers are frail. Ugin costs eight. Creatures? White has a lot of removal.

The best way I found to stop a perfect curve is a mix of removal and permission. Clean the board, draw some cards and cast goodstuff. In that order. Or cheat Griselbrand, Emrakul, Wurmcoil or Grave Titan into play. Or combo out with Splinter Twin/Kiki.

Playing mana rocks means you have less action cards. You can't shave off lands either. No, I'm not going to pick Mind Stone over a Force of Will if I p1p1 Vedalken Shackles.

dsister44

So what do you guys think are the chances that Goblin guide gets reprinted in MM 2? If so what are the chances that the price for the originals will go up? Since people might open one then feel they need to fill out the set. I know that's what happened with goyf.

What sites do you guys order your cards from? I just got my DRT singles from cardkingdom today and I've always been blown away by how fast they ship. For more expensive stuff I hunt around TCGplayer/ebay, and for foreign cards I check SCG as well.

Is DTK draft fun? Can't decide if I wanna go tonight. all my friends are playing STD tonight and I dont have my deck :(

It's way, way better than FRF/KTK/KTK. Lots of fun synergies, I like it a lot.

I went to actually play Cheon's draft to see what the actual pick we were arguing about was. I didn't realize you were talking about his actual pick order: first picking Shackles and then second picking Mind Stone over Force of Will.

So let's assume I first pick the Shackles:

1. Shackles
  2. It's Mind Stone vs Force of Will. I could cut the blue card, or stay open with Mind Stone. My inclination is to stay open (as I'm going through this exercise, I think I realized that the root of our disagreement is that I value the flexibility of Mind Stone in the drafting process pretty high), and Force isn't as valuable here as it is in some cubes. So I take Mind Stone.
  3. Glen Elendra Archmage always overperforms, so I take that.
  4. Impulse. Chalice isn't even on the table here
  5. It's one of the black removal spells. Probably Chainer's Edict, even though it's not a particularly exciting card.
  6. I expect that none of these cards are going to make my deck. Usually I just snag lands from packs like this; with no lands, I probably just take the Harmonize.
  7. Between Alchemy and Fetters I take the Fetters.
  8. Volrath's Stronghold overperforms for me a lot, but it's not for this style of deck. I take Gifts Ungiven pretty clearly here. I'm not a huge fan of Chandra.
  9. Angel of Serenity. I already have the Gifts, and this isn't completely unreasonable as a finisher in a control deck.
  10. Exhume. I tend to grab the combo pieces of degenerate decks when the packs come down to the dregs like this, just in case. If I get passed an Entomb, something new has opened up to me.

Of course, this is all ignoring the fact that I would have just first picked the Craterhoof Behemoth (blue is way overdrafted in this cube) and had an excellent green deck based on what he got passed. :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is DTK draft fun? Can't decide if I wanna go tonight. all my friends are playing STD tonight and I dont have my deck :(

Its quite easy as far as draft formats go, at the least. I think its pretty fun and the dragons are less "omg bomb" than maybe I was envisioning. They're mostly just dumb fun to play.

Firemind

Green is hit or miss for me. Either I draw enough mana dorks and little action or I draw my action cards and Cradle or something. When I face green they ramp in the most insane way. Or they topdeck Cradle like a boss. :lol (I know because he played Oracle on the same turn, which let him play Ugin.)

Force of Will is great because I take draw spells high. Nothing better than dropping a Consecrated Sphinx with counter backup. Pact of Negation is also acceptable but much worse than FoW.

Morph Tribal

28 Creatures
  • 4 Elvish Mystic
  • 4 Satyr Wayfinder
  • 4 Stratus Dancer
  • 1 Den Protector
  • 4 Icefeather Aven
  • 4 Deathmist Raptor
  • 4 Whisperwood Elemental
  • 3 Sagu Mauler

8 Enchantments
  • 4 Trail of Mystery
  • 4 Secret Plans

2 Planeswalkers
  • 2 Kiora, the Crashing Wave

22 Land
  • 4 Yavimaya Coast
  • 4 Temple of Mystery
  • 2 Thornwood Falls
  • 7 Forest
  • 5 Island

Sideboard:
  • 4 Nissa, Worldwaker
  • 3 Disdainful Stroke
  • 4 Encase in Ice
  • 3 Display of Dominance
  • 1 Ainok Survivalist

I thought about collected company because we have the requisite number of cheap creatures, but they don't really do anything face-up, lol

DTK draft is pretty fun.

Won 3 packs, employee was playing in a draft so he told me to grab em. I was in a rush so I grabbed em and jetted.

Got home, cracked the first one. Its Korean. So now I have a Korean Ojutai Command and Dragon Whisperer.

ironmang

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";158212477]when you right, you right

edit:

What's a better turn one play in Legacy, Phyrexian Crusader or Hypnotic Specter? Is there a better black three-drop I should be looking at? Phyrexian Arena?[/QUOTE]

Liliana of the Veil :)

I do like the ole thoughseize followed by hymn to try and hit their lands.

OnPoint

Oh stop, you guys are making me want to piece my Reid Duke style Legacy Pox deck back together. What a fun deck to pilot, what a miserable deck to play against.

Firemind

4 dark ritual
4 pox
4 smallpox
4 thoughtseize
4 hymn to tourach
4 sinkhole
4 vindicate
4 liliana of the veil
2 tombstalker

4 bloodstained mire
4 scrubland
4 wasteland
4 rishadan port
4 mishra's factory
1 tabernacle
4 urborg
1 swamp

COME AT ME BROS

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Yeah, mid prices seems pretty standard. But, Ugin may drop like a rock even before he rotates out of standard. Don't beat yourself up about it too much just yet. It could very well be a 50 dollar card in a year.

On another note, I realized just by my play choices when drafting and what I want to build, I think Prowess is my favorite mechanic since Undying.

Alt-Art Ugin probably won't be dropping anytime soon.

OnPoint

My list looked more like

Sinkhole
Hymn to Tourach
Inquisition of Kozilek
Liliana of the Veil
Smallpox
Innocent Blood
Nether Spirit
Dark Ritual
Thoughtseize (maybe one or two)

Swamp
Urborg Tomb
Mishra's Factory
Wasteland
(didn't have fetches at the time but it will in future builds)

Pox-style stuff is awesome, but I need a three-drop for the sideboard of my reanimator deck to troll people with.

Something like this:

4 Thoughtseize
4 Hypnotic Specter
4 Delver of Secrets
1 Pithing Needle
1 Ratchet Bomb
1 Whisk Away

Kerrinck

What price do you guys think Narset will settle at? Need to buy a couple to train for an upcoming GP but 50$ seems like way too much money for her.

Angry Grimace

What price do you guys think Narset will settle at? Need to buy a couple to train for an upcoming GP but 50$ seems like way too much money for her.

$20-30.

Its not a proven card but there's a serious issue with price memory in MTG.

Angry Grimace

Poor Kolaghan. Shunned even by the EDH crowd. At least he's in the second best Duress art (I still prefer Urza's Saga.)

Maybe they shouldn't have given an Elder Dragon an ability which literally does nothing in Elder Dragon Highlander.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, I wanna play with a commander deck to scratch my itch to play Kiln Fiend style decks. So far, I know of the following. Any other major creatures or keywords that would benefit from a spells matter RU deck? Commander ain't my wheelhouse.

Commander - Keranos

Creatures
Kiln Fiend
Wee Dragonauts
Nivix Cyclops
Monastery Swiftspear
Seeker of the Way
Dragon-Style Twins
Jeskai Windscout

Angry Grimace

I have a fucking shitload of cards though. I think I'll try and make EDH decks out of a couple of the Dragonlords for casual play with friends. The only one I have an extra of is Atarka so far though. But that seems kind of easy to build.

red13th

Maybe they shouldn't have given an Elder Dragon an ability which literally does nothing in Elder Dragon Highlander.

that is baffling. the fact that Mark Rosewater is defending the choice to make an ELDER DRAGON's ability useless in ELDER DRAGON HIGHLANDER is even more infuriating.
then again it's Mark Rosewater.

kirblar

that is baffling. the fact that Mark Rosewater is defending the choice to make an ELDER DRAGON's ability useless in ELDER DRAGON HIGHLANDER is even more infuriating.
then again it's Mark Rosewater.
He's correctly defending it, because a casual format shouldn't be restricting designs in Standard-legal sets. The previous Elder Dragons are terrible generals anyway. It's a good design. Who cares if it's a "bad" EDH general- they can just pick one of the actual "good" ones while they try to pretend they're not trying to kill each other during the game.

So, I wanna play with a commander deck to scratch my itch to play Kiln Fiend style decks. So far, I know of the following. Any other major creatures or keywords that would benefit from a spells matter RU deck? Commander ain't my wheelhouse.

Commander - Keranos

Creatures
Kiln Fiend
Wee Dragonauts
Nivix Cyclops
Monastery Swiftspear
Seeker of the Way
Dragon-Style Twins
Jeskai Windscout
187461_1ntqd3.jpg
199490_1kgpak.jpg
199524_1bgpbj.jpg