• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They keep saying its good, yet this keeps happening.

(I suspect this means its really a noob-stomper deck.)

It is the best un-hated deck in MTG.

The problem is that all the hate just hates it the fuck out instantly. If people stopped putting 7 anti-Dredge cards in, it would win pretty much every time.

Xis

Is there anywhere online to see a list of all of the "Marketing Cards" for a set? (The extra cards in a booster that aren't tokens).

I'm trying to complete a collection of all Theros block cards, and figured I might as well have one of each of these. I have 10 or so different cards for each of the three sets, but I don't know if that is all of them.

I found this list of rules cards, but it those were discontinued starting with Magic 2013; the newer sets have cards with little snippets of background information instead.
http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Rules_card

My standard deck has 10 legends, and I might go up to 11. At what point is Hero's Blade a card worth considering in the 75? Especially when I'm looking for a 9th 2-drop? My deck also has three tutors so a singleton is fine for when it's relevant.

imagea5ld4.png

Notably pulls small sidisi out of burn range and lets her trade with rhinos.

The Mothership April Fools' Day articles were mostly pretty funny.
Drive to Work box set, with sample commentary
where MaRo points out the part where he runs over a pedestrian and hides the body
Limited Information with card interviews and references to writing for Roseanne
The story of a Maro meeting
It gave me a chuckle or two, especially the Drive to Work commentary track, just because Maro talking over Maro is a special level of insanity. I do sometimes enjoy his podcast, but that guy already always feels like he's on overdrive exploring every tangent, so having two Maro streams at once is like WHOA.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";158425048]My standard deck has 10 legends, and I might go up to 11. At what point is Hero's Blade a card worth considering in the 75? Especially when I'm looking for a 9th 2-drop? My deck also has three tutors so a singleton is fine for when it's relevant.

imagea5ld4.png

Notably pulls small sidisi out of burn range and lets her trade with rhinos.[/QUOTE]

I played a guy with this and it was hilarious how dead that card is all the time. Let's put it this way, do you want to spend a card on giving Sidisi +3/+2?

That hasn't really been my experience with respect to board games getting old quickly, (we have a few we cycle between, but Catan is always popular).

It's not that it gets old forever, it's that nobody wants to play it six times in a row.

(I suspect this means its really a noob-stomper deck.)

It's better against noobs and it has inflated win percentages in real life events due to being a budget deck, though it also just got hideously unlucky over the course of the season -- someone calculated it out to a 6% chance to mulligan to one without finding a Bazaar of Baghdad, and that happened like four times.

Is there anywhere online to see a list of all of the "Marketing Cards" for a set? (The extra cards in a booster that aren't tokens).

The scans the CCGHQ people put together on slightlymagic.net include all the marketing cards, so you could download the Theros scans and look through those to compare 'em.

Arksy

There's a modern PPTQ this weekend I'm thinking about entering for modern. I've got a modern goblins main deck but getting the sideboard has been a nightmare so far. Every time I ask for blood moons people just laugh. :(

red13th

look Cheon drafted a blue deck in legacy cu... eh nevermind.
if it was Reid Duke I'd watch but since it's Cheon I won't bother

y2dvd

Looks like I have a favorite draft deck. That's twice I went U/B splash W and I went 3-0 tonight.

AfhLKes.png

-Gudul Lurker was usually just casted on T1 and was later a chump blocker or Exploit fodder.
-I had a Zephyr Scribe mb and another one sb. Because my deck was control-ish, I probably should've mb them both.
-Playing around Silumgar Spell-Eater is a thing! My opponent in the finals played really well not running into the morph.
-Profaner of the Dead was a disappointing card. I guess it's a hill giant with a plus side, but I never had a good target to Exploit with. Should've replaced it.
-A friend argued I should've replaced Pressure Point with Sight Beyond Sight. Filtering through 4 cards and drawing 2 is worth it I suppose. I just liked the cheap cost of PP and it definitely help me win some games.
-Still a huge fan of Negate mb. There's so many removals floating around.
-P1P1 was Illusory Gain. P1P2 was between Ultimate Price or Ruthless Deathfang. Probably the wrong pick, but I didn't know if I was going to get a lot of Exploit creatures to take advantage of it, so I went for the premium removal.
-I had 12 spells to trigger Scroll of the Masters. I was able to play it on T2 a few times and it did work. Glad people past it up as it fit in fine in my deck. People couldn't even attack into my Sultai Emissary thanks in fear of the scroll pump lol.
-Still a huge fan running the Monuments as my "18th" land.
-Nothing much to say about Supplant Form except it wins games!

I had Jeskai Barricade, Gurmag Drowner, a 2nd Zephyr Scribe, Illusory Gains, Sibsig Icebreakers, and Alesha's Vanguard as notable sideboards. I definitely could've replaced Profaner of the Dead with any one of these cards and I probably should've mainboarded Ilusory Gains. Thoughts? Illusory Gains definitely made the board state and line of plays troublesome for my opponent.

duxstar

So I've realized I have a really strong g/w aggro deck that cannot beat tokens to save it's life. Basically dragon fodder, hordeling outburst, Stoke you, next turn swing all with Atarkas command +1+1 and deal 3 is just too powerful for the deck to overcome (even with 2 dromoka commands in starting hand).

Is it crazy to switch out blossoming Sands for sandsteppe Citadels, put 2 temple of malady in the sideboard and run 6 black sources, and run 2 - 3 copies of virulent plague out of the sideboard?

The deck performs well against control, abzan and pretty much any deck without tokens in it. I even lost to a b/w deck that had secure the wastes in it. I'm so close to finding a deck I like again but a deck that can't deal with hordeling outburst is horrible in this meta.

In today's "MTGO is broken in ridiculous ways," both Brainstorm and Gifts Ungiven are broken on MTGO. Brainstorm puts the two cards back in a random order, and Gifts Ungiven lets you choose cards with the same name. Geez.

In today's "MTGO is broken in ridiculous ways," both Brainstorm and Gifts Ungiven are broken on MTGO. Brainstorm puts the two cards back in a random order, and Gifts Ungiven lets you choose cards with the same name. Geez.

Also whenever I update the client it takes about 10 minutes before it opens on my computer randomly and minimizes everything I'm doing.

It is comical at this point how silly the client is.

bigkrev

At least they had the decency to kill Legacy/Vintage DE's for the time being while they fix it. There was a week when an Innestrad block card was bugged (I can't remember what it was or what it did), and it basically warped standard for a week around it.

At least they had the decency to kill Legacy/Vintage DE's for the time being while they fix it. There was a week when an Innestrad block card was bugged (I can't remember what it was or what it did), and it basically warped standard for a week around it.

They ran an entire Standard MOCS without Pillar of Flame actually exiling creatures, yep. Zombie tribal took down that MOCS, unsurprisingly.

Angry Grimace

They suspended Legacy events due to this lol

But seriously, the cards working right is normally fine in MTGO, that's not the typical issue.

I'm starting to see what you guys mean about pros and blue in cube. Watching Jacob Wilson and man, this dude is complete garbage at drafting.

First picks Elspeth Knight-Errant followed by Liliana of the Veil, then picks up a Delta over a Bitterblossom to play blue cards he hasn't seen yet. At the beginning of the second pack, he takes fucking CRYPTIC COMMAND over Brimaz. Dude had B/W tokens handed to him so he starts taking triple blue cards. What the fuck.

I'm gonna go play bloodborne, there's nothing I can learn from watching the rest of this draft.

I haven't seen Wilson's draft, but in general it's hilarious to listen to their commentary.

"The blue cards are just so much better than anything else in the cube, so [insert lame justification for passing strong cards in other colors]"

Then they lose round one to an actually well-constructed deck. "Well, I feel like we drafted something really good, but these things happen sometimes. Our opponent just drew really well and we didn't."

EDIT: Have you guys been watching the OG Modern Roto Draft? WTF is Sam Black drafting? Am I crazy, or is he going to pull a Summer Bloom and an Amulet of Vigor off the board before this is all over?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...mRev=435&s=AM5m-fiepS4sZglGQq8YCqe-sF5rGgHxug

Wichu

My playset of Deathmist Raptors arrived. Time for EVERYBODY DO THE DINOSAUR.

My wallet is glad I managed to jump in when it was at its lowest price :)

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";158583541]"I cannot state in words how much more powerful this card is than Treasure Cruise in most Magic decks."

"Sometimes you dig into exactly the two answers you are looking for and other times you dig into a Dragon + Counterspell to just put a game away as quickly as possible."

...[/QUOTE]

lol, i saw that too.

Hes just really excited man thats all.

I think im gonna sleeve it up saturday. Just need the icefalls.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";158583541]"I cannot state in words how much more powerful this card is than Treasure Cruise in most Magic decks."

"Sometimes you dig into exactly the two answers you are looking for and other times you dig into a Dragon + Counterspell to just put a game away as quickly as possible."

...[/QUOTE]

Let me guess. It's Hoogland.

red13th

I didn't know but artist William Murai lives in my city. I kind of want to get a Hero of Iroas or an Ojutai Exemplars autographed.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
This digital alter by Zeerbe is sweet:

The Proxy Guy makes the sweetest proxies. It sucks listening to The Eh Team and Heavy Meta (or did) because all they did was talk about all these awesome promos they were getting from him. One of the Heavy Meta dudes got a full proxy foil power cube from him. And I am hating hardcore.

Explanation for why we don't get red love spells
Mark sent me here to get this question answered, Can we have a red "act of treason" but have the flavor be about love/passion for the opposing side created by the spell?
bibbothefirst

It’s something we’ve talked about. Love spells are certainly a common element in many fantasy stories. There are more pitfalls there than one may realize (whom do you show as the victim of this spell, for example? the patriarchy has kind of messed up all innocent-sounding “love spell” stories for me), but we have looked for ways to explore that side of red.

In a way, I want Magic to have more honest portrayals of love and passion than magically-influenced ones, you know?

I mean, maybe that’s not what you’re suggesting — maybe the suggestion is for the flavor to be that the creature experiences an honest (but temporary) change of heart rather than the caster being all “ha ha I tricked you, you thought you were hot for my bod but you really weren’t” (because ew).

Can a creature be honestly in love for one turn? Is there any way that a spell like that could come across as a voluntary, non-magically-influenced expression of emotion rather than manipulation? I mean, taking advantage of a creature’s rage emotions is just as manipulative, but when you add love and passion into it, there’s this whole new area of potential pitfalls, and we have to think hard about the impact of that. I think is part of why this side of red hasn’t come up much in the game.

Again, it’s something we’ve discussed. We think there are ways to defuse some of these issues in cards, and meanwhile we’re interested in our characters showing more honest positive emotions in the story. We agree with those of you who believe that red is about all intense emotions, not just RAAAAWWRR. The trick is executing on that sensitively.

#color pie
#red
#opinions on this are welcome
#it is not really a case of 'creative doesn't want to do it'
#it's a case of 'this is surprisingly fraught with issues that you may not be aware of but we're working on it'

WanderingWind

Only Magic players could get ask a question like "Can a creature be honestly in love for one turn?" Keep reinforcing them stereotypes, brothers, and acting like people don't experience non-magical, poorly thought out lustful nights with each other every day.

How does red use that concept? Well, blue has permanent theft and green has lure, so they sort of shot themselves in the foot there. Hell, white's creature based Fiend Hunter ability is a perfect representation of this. Maybe red can have some of that bleed into its pie.

It's really how red's temporary stealing should be flavored. Makes much more sense.

That's literally what the post was about.

Only Magic players could get ask a question like "Can a creature be honestly in love for one turn?" Keep reinforcing them stereotypes, brothers, and acting like people don't experience non-magical, poorly thought out lustful nights with each other every day.

The question is, how do you represent that on a card while avoiding some dangerous pitfalls?

kirblar

Yes, I'm saying that I disagree with the "there are pitfalls" thing- I don't think they're significant enough to require that the game not touch it. We live in the era where people wright Frozen or Shrek II, not 16-17th century fairy tales.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

How does red use that concept? Well, blue has permanent theft and green has lure, so they sort of shot themselves in the foot there. Hell, white's creature based Fiend Hunter ability is a perfect representation of this. Maybe red can have some of that bleed into its pie.

Yes, I'm saying that I disagree with the "there are pitfalls" thing- I don't think they're significant enough to require that the game not touch it.
I sort of get it. The problem isn't that its falling in love for one night, its that on a Magic card its being instantiated by a spell, which basically makes it a love potion story, which are critiqued no matter which gender employs them and are honestly kind of skeevy

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They managed to avoid it all this time with Mind Control!

WanderingWind

I mean, what pitfalls though? This is a game with Deadly Allure, Sirens and the like. It's been done already, and recently. The only pitfalls is that, really. They let too much of the emotional spectrum bleed into other colors.

kirblar

I sort of get it. The problem isn't that its falling in love for one night, its that on a Magic card its being instantiated by a spell, which basically makes it a love potion story, which are critiqued no matter which gender employs them and are honestly kind of skeevy
It's a temporary manipulation effect to use a creature offensively. It's not like you're casting an Act of Treason to have the card pleasure you. Flavoring it as a "Charm" effect instead of a generic red effect would be an upgrade, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom