• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor Kolaghan. Shunned even by the EDH crowd. At least he's in the second best Duress art (I still prefer Urza's Saga.)

Honestly, I still really like the card. Probably because I don't play EDH at all. I got a regular and foil of the card when I bought my booster box.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
He's correctly defending it, because a casual format shouldn't be restricting designs in Standard-legal sets. The previous Elder Dragons are terrible generals anyway. It's a good design. Who cares if it's a "bad" EDH general- they can just pick one of the actual "good" ones while they try to pretend they're not trying to kill each other during the game.

His fourth ability is practically trinket text anyways. If Kolaghan stays on the board in a regular game your opponent probably loses rapidly.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
He's correctly defending it, because a casual format shouldn't be restricting designs in Standard-legal sets. The previous Elder Dragons are terrible generals anyway. It's a good design. Who cares if it's a "bad" EDH general- they can just pick one of the actual "good" ones while they try to pretend they're not trying to kill each other during the game.

Fucking a, kirblar. Fucking a.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";158296039] Snip[/QUOTE]

Great ideas there. I forgot about Talarand and Charm Breaker completely.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
IDK the fact that Commander as a community of people playing a casual format is still full of spikes is why its a format I don't bother with.

Firemind

But Rakdos has no good generals lololol
or at least they're all very narrow

I suppose Olivia is the best one of the bunch which is kind of sad.

red13th

I disagree, I don't see how it's particularly good design, and I certainly don't care if it's a bad EDH general. Looks mostly like it's designed to spite EDH players tbh.

kirblar

Oh, you're playing another Siege Rhino? Take Ten. It's a casual card with marginal constructed applications.

If you want a "good" R/B EDH general, look to the Commander sets.

red13th

Oh, you're playing another Siege Rhino? Take Ten. It's a casual card with marginal constructed applications.

Sorry, casual player and still not blown away by that design. And I really don't think it's worth using that design for an Elder Dragon, a type they retconned and resurrected for this set and is closely linked to a singleton format.
I hate Commander sets because they aren't modern legal and I can't add them to my cube. :/

WanderingWind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";158301367]For me, commander is the "what else am I gonna do with this damnation and scrubland" format.[/QUOTE]

+ 1

With the addition of being able to throw together crappy tribal and concept decks.

Angry Grimace

I think Maro's anti-Kamigawa thing is kind of a red herring though. He talks an awful lot about Kamigawa

Firemind

Do they even print those in Commander sets anymore? All they ever printed in Commander sets were tri-colour, enemy pairs and mono colour planeswalking generals if I remember correctly. As for allied pairs... there's Brago in Conspiracy and?

WanderingWind

Do they even print those in Commander sets anymore? All they ever printed in Commander sets were tri-colour, enemy pairs and mono colour planeswalking generals if I remember correctly. As for allied pairs... there's Brago in Conspiracy and?

It is super likely that is the next pairing they'll hit up. Commander sets are really new, they've got to cycle through the pairings.

Angry Grimace

I refused to buy in on Thunderbreak at 3 bucks because I assumed it was gonna be cheap. I ended up getting it for like 6, which will be a bad deal once the card is back to being 2 bucks.

Angry Grimace

I would have snap bought at 3, it was 5.5 and I passed cause I figured it couldn't go up.

I don't like preordering much, but I found a retailer that ships the day of release and is like one county over so I ended up biting.

Joe Molotov

I preordered a lot of cards from DTK just because a lot of them were so cheap pre-release. Thunderbreaks were my most expensive investment at around $5.50/ea.

red13th

For my cube I preordered Dragonlord Silumgar, Evolving Wilds (gorgeous artwork!), Kolaghan's Command, Zurgo Bellstriker, Sidisi, Undead Vizier and Secure the Wastes. Silumgar was expensive (well $8 expensive) the rest was pretty cheap. Missing only Dragonlord Atarka right now.

Firemind

Man, Whip totally wrecked me just now.

I almost stablized after he played Grave Titan and whipped it back, with a Gideon on my side and Ajani in hand. Then he Deathrite Shaman'd me to death because he nuked my red sources by whipping back Acidic Slime, causing the Ajani in my hand to be a dead card. :(

Also, Wurmcoil Engine is the devil. Or Ugin. I can't decide.

I've never really been able to understand the appeal of Commander. If I wanted to bicker around a table with friends for hours, I'd rather play D&D or Shadowrun.

D&D takes preparation and some level of concentration to be enjoyable; Commander is something we can whip out on no notice that gives us a primary entertainment for the evening while we drink beer and howl obscenities at each other.

Arksy

I don't particularly like commander because it seems like an arms race. "Let's stuff 100 of the most expensive and broken cards we can into a single deck."

I know it's not quite like that. Especially considering it's singleton, but I can't seem to chase off the feeling that commander is the most inaccessible format after vintage.

I do like some aspects of the game though, 100 card singleton makes for a much slower format which can be really good if like you said, you want to gather around for a few beers and play some games, but other board games are usually better for that sort of thing. (Settles of Catan, etc)

I do like some aspects of the game though, 100 card singleton makes for a much slower format which can be really good if like you said, you want to gather around for a few beers and play some games, but other board games are usually better for that sort of thing. (Settles of Catan, etc)

Settlers of Catan gets old way sooner in a single evening and never produces the kind of stories a good Commander game does. If I want to play boardgames for that kind of thing I'm looking at, I dunno, Betrayal at House on the Hill or something, but even then....

Arksy

Settlers of Catan gets old way sooner in a single evening and never produces the kind of stories a good Commander game does. If I want to play boardgames for that kind of thing I'm looking at, I dunno, Betrayal at House on the Hill or something, but even then....

That hasn't really been my experience with respect to board games getting old quickly, (we have a few we cycle between, but Catan is always popular). Then again, I've never really played a night of commander so I guess I'll have to yield to you there. I just wish the format was a lot more accessible.

ElyrionX

I don't particularly like commander because it seems like an arms race. "Let's stuff 100 of the most expensive and broken cards we can into a single deck."

I know it's not quite like that. Especially considering it's singleton, but I can't seem to chase off the feeling that commander is the most inaccessible format after vintage.

It's not a slow format at all if your playgroup is spikey. Consistent turn two kills are very possible with some generals. Turn 4-5 kills are also pretty common.

I think it's the best MTG format if you can find the right playgroup simply because you get to play with such a large pool of cards, the majority of which you can never viably play in the other formats. MTG's card pool has been built up over two decades and this is the inly format where you get to play most of those cards and have fun with them.

hey look Reid Duke drafted a blue deck in legacy cube.

He definitely tends blue, but he did keep himself reasonably open that draft. I thought his outcome was completely reasonable given his seat and what was opened/passed to him.

Man, Whip totally wrecked me just now.

I almost stablized after he played Grave Titan and whipped it back, with a Gideon on my side and Ajani in hand. Then he Deathrite Shaman'd me to death because he nuked my red sources by whipping back Acidic Slime, causing the Ajani in my hand to be a dead card. :(

Also, Wurmcoil Engine is the devil. Or Ugin. I can't decide.

I love Whip in Cube. It takes a particular deck to make it good - a number of people I see are trying to use it like Reanimate when it's really more like a Recurring Nightmare. But when you do it right, Whip can be near-unbeatable.

bigkrev

In what is apparently not an April Fools Joke, they are going to start a Standard Super League once the VSL wraps up at the end of the month

CBeURG-U0AAc4w1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom