• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fill graveyard with enchantment creatures with Erebos's Emissary, Satyr Wayfinder, Nyx Weaver, Commune with the Gods, and Scout the Borders. Cast Rally the Ancestors, win the game instantly?

I lost to that combo once. The problem is that it's such a fragile combo.

how good is Wafo Tapa overall..i always been interested in his control decks..he always seemed to be a master at control deck

how is his career overall compared to many of the greats like

kirblar

how good is Wafo Tapa overall..i always been interested in his control decks..he always seemed to be a master at control deck

how is his career overall compared to many of the greats like
The one year ban he got due to the NPH spoiler caused him to disappear for about 2 years.

How the hell does that Dream Halls deck win? Something with Lobotomy?

http://unleash-your-johnny.tumblr.com/post/72525235505/notable-nonsense-turbozvi

Draws tons of cards, recycles its own deck via Gaea's Blessing, attacks opponent's deck with Lobotomy then makes them draw two with Inspiration to kill them. It was a hella janky deck but it served as the template for combo decks from that point onwards -- latter-day Storm/Draw-7 decks owe a lot to its example.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Man, there's a lot of Elvish Mystics running around right now.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So why do people run Llanowar/Mystics over Birds? Price and accessibility? Elf tribal doesn't seem particularly relevant these days, but I'm not paying attention

So why do people run Llanowar/Mystics over Birds? Price and accessibility? Elf tribal doesn't seem particularly relevant these days, but I'm not paying attention

Aside from Birds being out of Standard at the moment, it tends to come down to whether it's more likely to be useful later on to plink with a natural attacker or to carry a sword overhead in a particular deck.

Angry Grimace

They don't want more than 1 1cc mana dork in standard at once.

Yeah, its too bad Zendikar is not a place in which Elves exist. At all. So obviously this is the end of mana dorks in Standard.

Angry Grimace

Michael J. Flores

loljk we all know GB is the greatest deckbuilder of our time.

I'm glad I offloaded the Sarkhans immediately after the events ended. It's taking a dive. IRL it's getting dangerously close to 10 bucks too. Should have waited a little bit longer. RIP Sarkhan.

I'm just annoyed that I ahve to wait like 2 weeks to buy Thunderbreak Regent because, like Siege Rhino, it costs 13 bucks for 2 weeks and then crashes to normal person prices.

y2dvd

So it was a mistake to enter a $25 Modern tourny with little to no Modern experience lol. Went 2-3 with U/G Infect, pretty much losing to Splinter Twin. Spellskites hosed me down. What I didn't know was how to use Twisted Images correctly. I didn't know to sideboard it in for Spellskites, which would've totally won me a few games lol. Oh well, I learn the hard way. XD

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So it was a mistake to enter a $25 Modern tourny with little to no Modern experience lol. Went 2-3 with U/G Infect, pretty much losing to Splinter Twin. Spellskites hosed me down. What I didn't know was how to use Twisted Images correctly. I didn't know to sideboard it in for Spellskites, which would've totally won me a few games lol. Oh well, I learn the hard way. XD

As an infect player, Spellskite is the only card I worry about. Twisted Image is perfect SB tech, but I traditionally have been playing the BG version. The best I can do there is what, doom blade? That's not where I want to be, tbh. I may have to stop messing around and play the UG version.

Firemind

Won both my swiss drafts over the weekend (sealed was an inmitigated disaster), which doesn't mean much, but here are my two cents.

- Surrak Hunt-Caller is a massive beating. Goddamn.
- Ojutai's Breath is so much more of a beating than Crippling Chill. Between that and Will of the Naga, blue is surprisingly aggressive and a good support colour for green or red.
- B/R dash is a thing. I knew he had Sarkhan's Rage since he was dashing a bit too aggressively. I was one prowess trigger too short to force a draw. (I wonder what will happen if a match ends up 1-1-1? Rematch?)
- Feels good to eat spells. Oppenents didn't play around it. I did have two of the instant manifest twice card which he knew about. Speaking of, I got passed a lot of the mulicolour spells in FRF. It's quite difficult to play three colours in this format. I only splashed Sarkhan and then took an Evolving Wilds and U/R land really high to be able to splash it.
- The green 3/3 for 3 with two +1/+1 counters really does feel like a mini Daghatar. It's already great for its cost and it makes combat quite a challenge for opponents. And sometimes you can make your own dragon with it like I did with Cloudform.
- Speaking of dragons, both my decks had zero dragons. (Sarkhan can make dragons I guess?) I even played the 2/3 for two with no way to make it a 3/4 as a 2/3 is still acceptable. RIP dragons of Tarkir.

y2dvd

As an infect player, Spellskite is the only card I worry about. Twisted Image is perfect SB tech, but I traditionally have been playing the BG version. The best I can do there is what, doom blade? That's not where I want to be, tbh. I may have to stop messing around and play the UG version.

I may go back to BUG Infect. I miss my Abrupt Decays and I'm thinking Illness in the Ranks can be a good sb vs Splinter Twin decks. I'm also wanting to go BUG so I can throw in Tasigur in the sb for the hell of it. There was a few matches that went long and where I could've won with regular dmg since most don't care to pay life vs infect. Tasigur will be another win con and hey, if I have the mana to use his ability, all the better. I probably have to cut a Become Immense to not fight for the delving as much.

BUG Infect
Creatures (16)
• 1 Spellskite
• 4 Blighted Agent
• 4 Glistener Elf
• 3 Birds of Paradise
• 3 Plague Stinger
• 1 Dryad Arbor
Lands (20)
• 2 Forest
• 2 Breeding Pool
• 1 Overgrown Tomb
• 4 Inkmoth Nexus
• 1 Polluted Delta
• 4 Windswept Heath
• 4 Wooded Foothills
• 2 Pendelhaven
Spells (24)
• 2 Wild Defiance
• 2 Apostle's Blessing
• 3 Become Immense
• 3 Might of Old Krosa
• 4 Mutagenic Growth
• 4 Vines of Vastwood
• 1 Distortion Strike
• 4 Gitaxian Probe
• 1 Sleight of Hand
Sideboard
• 2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
• 1 Wild Defiance
• 2 Abrupt Decay
• 1 Dispel
• 3 Nature's Claim
• 1 Illness in the Ranks
• 2 Spell Pierce
• 3 Twisted Image

I dunno, some crap like that. Obviously a budgeted version lol, but I can borrow Noble Heirarchs if necessary. I want the Birds to be able to cast black spells though.

bigkrev

PPTQ changes http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/preliminary-pro-tour-qualifier-updates-2015-04-06

After observing the first round of Preliminary Pro Tour Qualifiers (PPTQs), and after receiving feedback from stores and players, we will be implementing a change in the formats that stores can select from when sanctioning their PPTQs.

Starting with the Preliminary Pro Tour Qualifiers scheduled to take place June 6 to August 16, stores can only sanction PPTQs in two different formats: one will match the Constructed format for the Pro Tour the PPTQ is tied to, and the other will be Sealed Deck. For the next round of sanctioning, this means that a store can only sanction Modern Constructed and Sealed Deck.

Sanctioning for the Preliminary Pro Tour Qualifiers taking place June 6 to August 16 will begin on April 8. These PPTQs will qualify winners for Regional Pro Tour Qualifiers (RPTQs), which will award invitations to the first Pro Tour of 2016. Event information for this round of PPTQs and RPTQs will be posted on Wednesday.

This makes a lot of sense, actually. It means Modern matters more (which is good), and it means that you have to qualify with one of the formats you'll actually be playing at the PT.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
My BG version said:
gEUKMkI.jpg

So, in mine the Necropedes are the weak link, but they're tied to the Cathedrals. The reason I don't want to go to 3 colors is that the most games you will ever drop are due to mana issues. This is the issue that lead to Heirachs and Birds (and Blighted Agent is a nice bonus) but I disagree with having Birds simple because it doesn't do anything for you to further your board state. It can, on occasion, let you play two spells on when you need to, but I found those cases to be win more situations.

If I were to go blue, I'd cut Cathedrals and Necropedes and add Blighted Agent and Twisted Image in the board. I feel like if you pack your deck with enough threat density, you don't need card draws here. It's a combo-lite deck, but it's one where your entire deck should be feeding into that combo (IMO).

Plus, you need to get there quick, so if you're drawing a probe on turn 3, you're likely losing anyway. If you have one turn 1, then it's costing you two to try to get something that may be in your hand anyway. This isn't a full on combo deck where you need to be able to dig for specific answers. Every card (besides lands, natch) are the answer. Distortion Strike is sweet tech, but I don't know what I would cut to add it. My mind says the Blessing's, but damn has that card saved my ass a ton when I bait them into overreaching because I have a single black open.

So here's an interesting game I played at the PPTQ:

Game three on the play vs GR Aggro, I open the following seven-

1. Forest
  2. Temple of Malady
  3. Thoughtseize
  4. Thoughtseize
  5. Bile Blight
  6. Hero's Downfall
  7. Courser of Cruphix
It's not perfect, but these are the collection of cards you want against GR, and Thoughtseize is the best card in the matchup so I keep, recognizing a 21-outer with 53 cards remaining to curve out. We both pass on temples on our first turns, with me bottoming a Sidisi looking for lands and my opponent leaving a card on top. Turn two I draw Murderous Cut and play a Thoughtseize, revealing-

1. Forest
  2. Mountain
  3. Heir of the Wilds
  4. Goblin Rabblemaster
  5. Stormbreath Dragon
  6. Stormbreath Dragon
  7. Xenagos, God of Revels

Any land off the top means I can use my Bile Blight or Courser to deal with Rabblemaster, and I can save the cut and downfall to kill the dragons. when we both have more time to draw into lands. Thoughtseize is the only card in my deck outside of Disdainful Stroke that beats Xenagos, so I figured I'd save my second copy for that whenever I can use it. So the card I wound up taking was Heir of the wilds which would save me the most life over time and hopefully time walk my opponent. She does indeed play a land and pass.

Now here's the more difficult decision. I miss my third land drop, drawing a backup copy of hero's downfall. Now I have to play the second Thoughtseize early in order to make any untapped land turn on Murderous Cut for the Rabblemaster. I do so, revealing that the card my opponent kept was a second Rabblemaster. It's difficult, but since my hand lines up with my opponent's threats and I didn't take the first Rabblemaster initially I felt compelled to stick with my original assessment and took the Xenagos given that(at the time) I was only playing three Thoughtseize in the 75 and as long as I got a chance to play my spells within a turn or two I could keep the board clear. It seemed that not playing for the long game was an easy way to lose to a chain of hasty threats given that I didn't have any board presence for the forseeable future.

I wound up losing after drawing a Satyr Wayfinder that found 4 spells on turn 4 and a tapped land on turn 5. No lands in the top 8 cards is incredibly unlucky considering the average is ~3, but it was a distinct possibility I had to keep in mind when I kept my hand. So I guess the question is, given my opening hand, is it a better option to apply line-up theory and take the cards my hand doesn't match well with, or to play to the board and take the conservative route with the Rabblemaster, risking losing a significant amount of life to the heir of the wilds?

Being on the play, I suppose the best conservative option would be to take Heir, wait to see what my opponent drew, with the intention of taking Rabble if it wasn't another significant threat, even if that means potentially making my bile blight useless?

Angry Grimace

I'm not sure I follow taking Heir over Rabblemaster, at least not with the intention of taking Xenagos with the other seize in hand. Rabblemaster basically will kill you if you don't draw the black source and gets you a long way there if that source is a tapped one. It's like you were already knocking the top of your deck.

I'm not sure I follow taking Heir over Rabblemaster, at least not with the intention of taking Xenagos with the other seize in hand. Rabblemaster basically will kill you if you don't draw the black source and gets you a long way there if that source is a tapped one. It's like you were already knocking the top of your deck.

So basically ignore the Heir? I guess if I thoughtseize rabble, she plays heir, I thoughtseize rabble then go to 14 from the heir attacking that's not terrible. Just leave it for later with the blight and courser to deal with it? I guess that's a strong play, too. It probably gives me the highest number of turns to draw out of mana screw,

If I was in super desperation mode I could have thoughtseized myself to turn on the murderous cut :3

y2dvd

So, in mine the Necropedes are the weak link, but they're tied to the Cathedrals. The reason I don't want to go to 3 colors is that the most games you will ever drop are due to mana issues. This is the issue that lead to Heirachs and Birds (and Blighted Agent is a nice bonus) but I disagree with having Birds simple because it doesn't do anything for you to further your board state. It can, on occasion, let you play two spells on when you need to, but I found those cases to be win more situations.

If I were to go blue, I'd cut Cathedrals and Necropedes and add Blighted Agent and Twisted Image in the board. I feel like if you pack your deck with enough threat density, you don't need card draws here. It's a combo-lite deck, but it's one where your entire deck should be feeding into that combo (IMO).

Plus, you need to get there quick, so if you're drawing a probe on turn 3, you're likely losing anyway. If you have one turn 1, then it's costing you two to try to get something that may be in your hand anyway. This isn't a full on combo deck where you need to be able to dig for specific answers. Every card (besides lands, natch) are the answer. Distortion Strike is sweet tech, but I don't know what I would cut to add it. My mind says the Blessing's, but damn has that card saved my ass a ton when I bait them into overreaching because I have a single black open.

I don’t like Cathedral because it comes in tapped and I can’t fetch for it. Being able to T3 Become Immense has closed me out a few games thanks to all the fetches in the graveyard. 3 colors can be an issue, but I’m running 9 fetches that can dig for whatever except for the 1 Polluted Delta, which of course cannot grab a forest if I ever need it, so I usually get the fixing that I need. Every spell also makes use of colored mana except for Apostle’s Blessing and Dismembered. Your version runs artifact creatures so I guess it’s not really the same issue.

Sometimes you just won’t have any pumps in hand and need to get in dmg. Blighted Agents and Plague Stingers give some much needed evasion. Rancor helps bulldoze in dmg, but I’ve been 2 for 1 trying to attach it too many times to want to throw it in. Plus, I want spells to put into my graveyard.

I would cut Birds and just run Noble Heirarch if I only went U/G, but again the black mana is needed for a few cards in the BUG build. Birds are also a 2nd win con with Become Immense and especially with Wild Defiance on the field. I’ve done it before and it’s hysterical. It’s 1 of the reasons why I’m gonna test Tasigur in the sb - to win with regular dmg as backup.

T1 Birds, T2 Wild Defiance, have totally shut down a bunch of burn spells. Sometimes you just have to have a slower start if it means saving your threats. I’ve also had opponents waste their kill spells on birds, which is usually fine by me as it’s a wasted spell on a creature that’s not the main win con. Like on the draw vs a heavy removal deck, if I had both Birds and Glistener Elf in hand, I rather T1 Birds, T2 Elf and hopefully have 2 protection spells up.

Here’s the thing about Probe, it filters a card, put’s a card in the graveyard for Delve, and most importantly, it gives perfect info on your opponent’s hands. I’ll take a T3 Probe all day. It lets me know if I can go all in on this attack or play it safer.

We have completely different builds though, so what I prefer probably wouldn't fit your build.

Firemind

Then why are you trying to qualify for the Modern PT? ;)
I don't want to qualify for the Modern PT. I just want to enjoy some Magic. And not kitchen table EDH. I mean, have you seen the prices lately?

DqNajLf.png

What is wrong with you people? They're just pieces of cardboard.

They should announce Eternal Masters or something.

Angry Grimace

What is Standard once Origins rolls around? Does Origins push out Theros or M15?

Anyways, what's everyone's opinion on Dromoka tribal vs Abzan tribal? Dromoka's Command is crazy expensive right now. Should I buy or wait?

Origins doesn't push anything out.

Arksy

Speaking of modern, what's going to be the price of a box of MM2015 in the states where you folks all are?

I just got word a few days ago that it's going to be $350 AUD per box and $16 AUD per booster. Which is insane given that it's a box of 24 and we normally get standard boxes for about $150 and boosters for $6

bigkrev

Speaking of modern, what's going to be the price of a box of MM2015 in the states where you folks all are?

I just got word a few days ago that it's going to be $350 AUD per box and $16 AUD per booster. Which is insane given that it's a box of 24 and we normally get standard boxes for about $150 and boosters for $6

The MSRP is 9.99 USD. My store is running a lottery to pre-order boxes at $240.

Arksy

The MSRP is 9.99 USD. My store is running a lottery to pre-order boxes at $240.

That makes me somewhat sad. $240 = $310 AUD currently, with shipping and the like, it seems that $350 might just be a fair price. It's so crazy. So much for WoTC not recognising the secondary market. I assumed the prices would be around $250 a box, and I would've bought maybe 3-4 but I reckon I might just get one. Draft prices are going from $20 for a normal draft to $50. I thought the whole idea was to make modern more accessible.

Yeef

That makes me somewhat sad. $240 = $310 AUD currently, with shipping and the like, it seems that $350 might just be a fair price. It's so crazy. So much for WoTC not recognising the secondary market. I assumed the prices would be around $250 a box, and I would've bought maybe 3-4 but I reckon I might just get one. Draft prices are going from $20 for a normal draft to $50. I thought the whole idea was to make modern more accessible.
The first modern masters actually did drive prices of a lot of the commons and uncommons down quite a bit. Some of the rares dropped as well, but then a bunch of them shot back up as Modern became more popular. I think all of the mythics just went higher though. I'm really disappointed that they printed goyf at mythic again.

Arksy

The first modern masters actually did drive prices of a lot of the commons and uncommons down quite a bit. Some of the rares dropped as well, but then a bunch of them shot back up as Modern became more popular. I think all of the mythics just went higher though. I'm really disappointed that they printed goyf at mythic again.

Wasn't the last modern masters a lot cheaper (MSRP) though? Speaking of goyf, is MM going to become a yearly set? I ask because if it I wonder if WoTC will continue to reprint some of the same cards again and again (like goyf).

I'm wondering if it might be easier to just purchase the cards I need straight up instead of just getting boxes, but my card pool for modern is non-existant so it might be useful just stocking up on useful commons and uncommons.

Is this going to be a limited run set again?

Angry Grimace

MSRP is useless for thinking about box prices. It's not like the vast majority of shops ever follow MSRP anyway.

MSRP for a box is like 142, but I buy them at like 95 online.

MSRP is meaningless with their other products too.
I paid way too much for FTV20 and swore off buying those sets until someone sold me the Annhiliation one for $20. The MSRP was 40 for both of them.

I would just buy singles from MM2 rather than crack packs. Unless you are drafting it, of course. It's a limited release though all Wizards is saying is that they will print more than last time.

I just noticed this:

http://www.mtgprice.com/sets/Commander/Skullbriar,_the_Walking_Grave

Tiny Leaders wrecking another card. I remember considering a B/G Commander deck last year and this guy was $4. Cheapest NM copy on TCG is now $15 after shipping.

This isn't because of Tiny Leaders, or at least just because of it. It's because the tuck rule change took away this guy's one weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom