• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironmang

Yeah, but that would also net you around 4 of every other mythic in the set, and 8 of every rare.

Even so, it's not doing a lot to help with card availability. 5K would get enough Goyfs for 1 player to have a goyf deck. Again, assuming shops actually sell at MSRP which is already expensive enough. If they're going to be pushing modern this much with the recent PPTQ announcement plus having it a pro tour and FNM format they should do a little more to make it accessible. Either ban it or reprint it in a way that it doesn't cost 5K to open enough product to obtain a playset.

So, nobody is answering the obvious question. Do I buy a set of Goyfs, or do I buy 6,777 packs with the odds that I may get a playset. I mean, sure, the Goyfs by themselves mean I'm sure to have them. But if I buy 6,777 packs, I could get anything. I could even get a playset of GOYFS!

Just go play in GP Vegas. With 10,000 players (I'm assuming they'll eventually hit the cap), someone will open multiple Goyfs. It could be you!

Xis

Even so, it's not doing a lot to help with card availability. 5K would get enough Goyfs for 1 player to have a goyf deck. Again, assuming shops actually sell at MSRP which is already expensive enough. If they're going to be pushing modern this much with the recent PPTQ announcement plus having it a pro tour and FNM format they should do a little more to make it accessible. Either ban it or reprint it in a way that it doesn't cost 5K to open enough product to obtain a playset.

I don't disagree with you in principle (I would prefer a higher print run and a lower MSRP), but saying you have to open $5K of product for a playset of Goyfs is kind of a weird way to look at it; it's the same as saying you have to open $2K worth of product for a playset of Narsets (or whatever random planeswalker).

ironmang

I don't disagree with you in principle (I would prefer a higher print run and a lower MSRP), but saying you have to open $5K of product for a playset of Goyfs is kind of a weird way to look at it; it's the same as saying you have to open $2K worth of product for a playset of Narsets (or whatever random planeswalker).

Not many mythics are used as a playset in a top performing deck where goyf is almost always a 4 of. The 2K vs 5K isn't accurate when you factor in reduced prices/incentives for standard boxes vs increased costs for limited sets like MM2 will be. A lot of mythics are also starting to show up in supplemental products like duel decks which does a lot to control cost and increase availability.

y2dvd

Is WotC producing more MM2 knowing the demand was much highly than expected for MM1? I would hope that means cards like Goyf would drop way lower than they did during MM1's run, right?

ironmang

Is WotC producing more MM2 knowing the demand was much highly than expected for MM1? I would hope that means cards like Goyf would drop way lower than they did during MM1's run, right?

$10 packs plus memory of price increase after MM1 doesn't give me much hope. I'd imagine the best time to get (mythic) staples would be from people fearing the worst and trying to offload MM2 bound cards after spoilers drop.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159291142]Thought I was on to something, here. I think I can figure out the build strategy with enough reps. Not familiar enough with all the archetypes yet.

lolqmkq2.png
[/QUOTE]

Whether you like the design or not, the enemy colors have pretty shitty synergy outside of Warriors (which is worse than it was if open in KTK).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've had a lot of success just drafting the clans straight up with a splash for whatever dragon you can get. It is not a super complex draft format.

We still have that guy at our LGS who thinks its still KTK and drafts 4 and 5 color goodstuff because he doesn't seem to realize it screws up the archetypes people go for when one dude refuses to pass good cards that aren't really in his colors.

I've had a lot of success just drafting the clans straight up with a splash for whatever dragon you can get. It is not a super complex draft format.
No it's not, and every time I try a deck that just spins it's wheels with exploit and skywise teachings triggers I wind up losing to a vanilla 5/5.

Triple Khans was a great draft format, sad to see it go so quickly.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159338635]No it's not, and every time I try a deck that just spins it's wheels with exploit and skywise teachings triggers I wind up losing to a vanilla 5/5.

Triple Khans was a great draft format, sad to see it go so quickly.[/QUOTE]

As a player who isn't good at limited, I'm not sad to see it go because now i win all the time.

As a player who isn't good at limited, I'm not sad to see it go because now i win all the time.

I miss M15 draft, oddly enough. Draft was so bad, but I was having fun because I won more consistently in that set than anything else I've played.

Free wins by maindecking festerglooms in your RB Intimidate decks.

Firemind

White is terrible. Warriors is not a deck anymore without Khans. Black is either Dash aggro or Exploit value. Green is probably the strongest colour. Epic Confrontation is a more overpowered Savage Punch for some inane reason and that 5/5 Elk is huge.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159291142]Thought I was on to something, here. I think I can figure out the build strategy with enough reps. Not familiar enough with all the archetypes yet.

lolqmkq2.png
[/QUOTE]

I drafted a deck like this last week and it ran really well.

Elite scaleguard really pulls it together if you can get one.

White is terrible. Warriors is not a deck anymore without Khans. Black is either Dash aggro or Exploit value. Green is probably the strongest colour. Epic Confrontation is a more overpowered Savage Punch for some inane reason and that 5/5 Elk is huge.

Green isn't "probably" the best color lol. Green commons are better than most of the dragons.

I drafted a deck like this last week and it ran really well.

Elite scaleguard really pulls it together if you can get one.

To be fair, Elite Scaleguard is the best uncommon in the set.

Angry Grimace

Green/Red Formidable is better than I think people envision so people don't draft it, though you usually want to take the Elks early because they are Team Trample Elks. But I've won drafts with every color combo other than UB.

I usually won't try for R/B unless I get Ambuscade Shaman and/or Warshrieker fairly early though.

Its not terrible. Warriors is done yes, but white bolster + blue tempo or black removal is very real.

ironmang

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159341158]I wind up first picking Vulturous Aven like every draft and hating myself.[/QUOTE]

My LGS is moderately competitive and I'm like 8-1 with UB so far. Aven isn't exciting but it definitely pulls it all together. Rakshasa Gravecaller is the type of card that if I see it I'll slam and force UB. Good fliers, good removal, cheap deathtouchers, and creatures that generate value on death all make the mechanic that much better.

Firemind

I mean, you don't have to focus warriors specifically when drafting. Wihout the two scales, raiders spoils and rush of battle, your deck doesn't care about warriors anymore. There's the black two-drop but that's about it. It also lost Mardu Hordechief, one of the best commons and it got replaced by one pack of the 2/1 warrior + spirit.

y2dvd

My LGS is moderately competitive and I'm like 8-1 with UB so far. Aven isn't exciting but it definitely pulls it all together. Rakshasa Gravecaller is the type of card that if I see it I'll slam and force UB. Good fliers, good removal, cheap deathtouchers, and creatures that generate value on death all make the mechanic that much better.

Same. I've been killing it with U/B/x. It just has so many removals to back itself up.

I tried Grimace's strategy and just went with a basic GW Bolster deck. Anafenza, the bolster enchantment, kill spells with bolster, lightwalkers etc.

Round one opponent plays Dagatar. GGs

I traded in some old vidya gaems at one of my local shops and picked up two Deathmist Raptors. I should really acquire a playset, but two will do for now. So it's either jam them into GW Devotion or get some Collected Company copies for that deck for this weekend. We have a multi-PPTQ event coming up.

I don't know his 75, but here's an estimate of what I played against at the testing last night:

4x Rattleclaw Mystic
4x Heir of the Wilds
4x Frost Walker
4x Deathmist Raptor
4x Savage Knuckeblade
4x Goblin Rabblemaster
2x Flamewake Phoenix

4x Collected Company
4x Stubborn Denial
4x Crater's Claws

Close enough. He was hitting 2x Knuckleblades or Raptors or Heirs every time he cast CC.

Also, my buddy just got a playset of Ghor-Clan Rampagers from me for an Infect deck. He said he's using that and Temur Battle-Rage and Arcbond in the deck. The Arcbond thing is hilarious, because it's the creature and not the spell that's dealing the damage to everybody.

duxstar

Lol g/w is amazing and I tend to stay away from drafting it because I know I will pretty much just try to force it every round.

I think I like most of the deck archetypes and can reasonably know what to look out for in all of them.

G/R is the easiest to draft I think just because you just take big creatures, 1 or 2 sarkhan rage and a couple of burn spells and let formidable take over.

U/B exploit is probably the hardest to draft because you need to make sure you have both good exploit creatures and exploit fodder.

Angry Grimace

Lol g/w is amazing and I tend to stay away from drafting it because I know I will pretty much just try to force it every round.

I think I like most of the deck archetypes and can reasonably know what to look out for in all of them.

G/R is the easiest to draft I think just because you just take big creatures, 1 or 2 sarkhan rage and a couple of burn spells and let formidable take over.

U/B exploit is probably the hardest to draft because you need to make sure you have both good exploit creatures and exploit fodder.

The best Exploit creatures are all in FRF with Sultai Emissary and Jeskai Sage.

y2dvd

P1p1 was Pristine Skywise.
P1p2 was Herdchaser Dragon.
P1p3 do I go Shieldhide Dragon or Cunning something something (the UW4 dragon)?
I went with Shieldhide.

Best guess would be 4-8x the supply of MM. The actual volume of cards is almost less important than what happens with the popularity of the Modern format afterwards. MM actually knocked down prices on everything, but high-end cards went up again as demand skyrocketed. If the format stays flat we should see some price reductions again.

This format is very "Brian Wong-y" (i.e., taking boring efficient cards is very good, and often better than going after synergies).

every-kirblar-post-about-lapille-lead-sets.tumblr.com

Xis

What the fuck was that

No seriously, what the fuck was that

I already griped about the article earlier in this thread, but I had some further thoughts -

He equates Rosewater to an advertising agency, and this is a really bad comparison. Rosewater isn't some disinterested ad guy; he's the head designer of Magic! Even if he could speak with 100% honesty, I doubt his articles would be much different - as the head designer, he is an inherently biased source. These sets are all his children, and he loves them all equally (even the ugly ones).

The idea that there isn't a lot of intelligent negative criticism of Magic is very reasonable, but I think he missed the mark (ugh, unintentional pun) on some of his points.

Arksy

So I was thinking, I got into magic around September when KTK first launched and I've been playing fairly heavily ever since. I love MTG and really wish I had been playing it for a lot longer.

I started with drafts and drafted all the way up until FRF came out, where I started to build my first standard deck. Jeskai tokens (which was actually a recommendation by someone here!). The deck has been absolutely fantastic. It has won me a bunch of games and really honed in my skills because there's a lot to keep track of as you're playing it. It's not as straightforward as some of the other ones I've seen. I'm looking to enter either that or a similar deck into game day next week and can't wait to play some more games.

I constructed a modern deck as well (tribal goblins) which netted me a 6/20 in my first modern FNM. Didn't think that was bad because it was my first try at modern. I got so deftly stomped in my last game but I guess that's par for the course, it was good fun. I couldn't believe I won my first three games of modern I'd ever played. (To the chagrin of the other players probably, as I sat there asking to read every card that was played because I'd never seen them before).

The thing that kind of annoys me is that I've learned the game to a passable standard but I still don't understand deck building properly. Does anyone here have any good comprehensive guides to card analysis (how to actually judge a card that's playable), manabases and manacurves (terms that kind of still elude me) and other such intricacies that aren't immediately obvious.

There's a lot to these things and it's really confusing when I look at a card and think that it has great potential and people tell me I'm wrong and it's unplayable. (Like Aven Skirmisher) and then I look at cards like Atarka and think that it's not very good because it's so expensive, and it pops up in like half of the competitive decks.

So I was thinking, I got into magic around September when KTK first launched and I've been playing fairly heavily ever since. I love MTG and really wish I had been playing it for a lot longer.

I started with drafts and drafted all the way up until FRF came out, where I started to build my first standard deck. Jeskai tokens (which was actually a recommendation by someone here!). The deck has been absolutely fantastic.

Didn't realize you were so new to the game; I'm glad it's been a good experience for you!

Arksy

Didn't realize you were so new to the game; I'm glad it's been a good experience for you!

Oops, pressed enter before I was done. Yeah I'm pretty new. I started with a mind to hopefully be competitive at the game. The main reason was that I was a bit tired of online gaming on the PC being such a poor environment. Getting disgusting slurs hurled at you through the internet gets old after a while plus I wanted a game that was a bit more social (yeah yeah stop laughing).

The game isn't particularly easy to get into but my local community has been incredibly welcoming and helpful in terms of learning the rules. The game is incredibly interesting and deep and I learn a new interaction or combination every time I play the game. I found it interesting that since I started playing magic I've found myself playing computer games less and less, to the point where I barely play any video games at all anymore. Magic just seems to cater to that craving.

Oh, sweet! Bonus episode of VSL!

Actual results spoiler:
Dredge now 0-10. :lol :lol

EDIT: I'm looking to pick up some random boosters for a grab bag draft coming up; any suggestions on where to go? I'm more interested in variety than I am in getting "quality" boosters; I'm just not sure if I should go after the big online retailers or E-Bay or something.

Angry Grimace

I started with drafts and drafted all the way up until FRF came out, where I started to build my first standard deck. Jeskai tokens (which was actually a recommendation by someone here!). The deck has been absolutely fantastic. It has won me a bunch of games and really honed in my skills because there's a lot to keep track of as you're playing it. It's not as straightforward as some of the other ones I've seen. I'm looking to enter either that or a similar deck into game day next week and can't wait to play some more games.

I constructed a modern deck as well (tribal goblins) which netted me a 6/20 in my first modern FNM. Didn't think that was bad because it was my first try at modern. I got so deftly stomped in my last game but I guess that's par for the course, it was good fun. I couldn't believe I won my first three games of modern I'd ever played. (To the chagrin of the other players probably, as I sat there asking to read every card that was played because I'd never seen them before).

The thing that kind of annoys me is that I've learned the game to a passable standard but I still don't understand deck building properly. Does anyone here have any good comprehensive guides to card analysis (how to actually judge a card that's playable), manabases and manacurves (terms that kind of still elude me) and other such intricacies that aren't immediately obvious.

There's a lot to these things and it's really confusing when I look at a card and think that it has great potential and people tell me I'm wrong and it's unplayable. (Like Aven Skirmisher) and then I look at cards like Atarka and think that it's not very good because it's so expensive, and it pops up in like half of the competitive decks.

Atarka is a weird example. It's seeing some play despite its CMC because the decks playing it are all ramp decks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom