• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matriox

I might be extremely late on this.. But I've been looking for a custom coin maker or something to signify Khans or Dragons with the siege cards for a little while now. Turns out one existed the whole time and I already owned 2!

51EE6vBAgxL.jpg

EDIT: This is from the Oblivion Collectors Edition, pretty perfect for what I was looking for.

The ending of Reid Duke's M2G2 in his latest Cube makes me wish we had more enthusiastic live commentary with an audience in Magic.
OH MY GAWD THAT'S EXACTLY LETHAL!! HE'S DONE IT! REID DUKE HAS DONE IT AGAIN!!!
:lol

y2dvd

Play tested Esper Control vs my roommates U/R Dragons deck and went 0-6. That deck is nasty. It can easily go aggro or play draw-go.

-Myth Realize is a bust. Even dropping it early, I needed all the mana up that I can get. With the increase of fliers, it doesn't even get to block any of it. It also doesn't fuel delve.
-I think Last Breath will be back in this deck. Aggro is all over the place. It hits that, is easier on the mana than Hero's Downfall, it hits Courser, Soulfire, Seeker, Rabbles, and also takes care of annoying reoccurring creatures for good like Flamewake Phoenix's and to a lesser extent, Bloodsoaked Champion. Some Downfalls will still stay though.
-Crux of Fate didn't feel like it was enough sweepers. I may also run 1-2 End Hostilities on top or just replace the Crux with End. The different creature threats meant that Crux was only hitting some of the board. End will just wipe everything.
-Encase in Ice is a wasted sb. Ferocious is a thing. I rather just straight up get rid of a creature than keep it in play tapped down.

-Just about every dragon is at least 4 power. Stubborn Denial was so good vs my deck.
-With so many dragons in his deck, Silumgar's Scorn was usually a straight up hard counter.
-Dragonlord's Prerogative is an amazing sb card vs my deck. He was gaining more card advantage than I was.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Update to my Temur Dragon deck. After the last FNM I sort of felt like while Sarkhan was as good as advertised, Surrak wasn't. I'm not really sure what about the card wasn't working, so I'm gonna try a bit of a twist to the sideboard and to that particular spot. Since I don't really have enough spots to dedicate to Surrak as an aggro card, I'm going to try using Xenagos (both of them). I liked Dragonlord Atarka, but it did seem a little gratuitous. SB tries to be a little more tuned for the control and aggro matchups since control was a bit of a pain using Nissa (he blew up all my lands with End Hostilities) (plus we have a prime number of targets to actually flip).

Deck: Temur Dragons
u.gif
r.gif
g.gif

//CREATURES
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
3 Courser of Kruphix
4 Savage Knuckleblade
4 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Thunderbreak Regent
1 Xenagos, God of Revels

//SPELLS
2 Sarkhan Unbroken
2 Xenagos, the Reveler
3 Draconic Roar
3 Crater's Claws
3 Stubborn Denial

//LANDS
2 Shivan Reef
4 Wooded Foothills
3 Yavimaya Coast
1 Haven of the Spirit Dragon
1 Temple of Abandon
3 Forest
3 Mountain
1 Temple of Epiphany
1 Mana Confluence
4 Frontier Bivouac

//Sideboard
3 Display of Dominance
3 Roast
3 Seismic Rupture
2 Whisperwood Elemental
2 Disdainful Stroke
2 Wild Slash

Display deck statistics

You really like Xenagod vs Dragonlord Atarka? Having a top end card that's setup rather than something that pulls you back in the game seems slightly suspect to me. Atarka also ups your dragon count. Xenagod does scare the shit out of me, though.

Also, display of dominance has been underperforming for me, but my deck doesn't need it as much.

Why Whisperwood in the side over Nissa?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159192025]You really like Xenagod vs Dragonlord Atarka? Having a top end card that's setup rather than something that pulls you back in the game seems slightly suspect to me. It also ups your dragon count. Xenagod does scare the shit out of me, though.

Also, display of dominance has been underperforming for me, but my deck doesn't need it as much.

Why Whisperwood in the side over Nissa?[/QUOTE]

The deck almost always wins with some combo of dragons and Sarkhan. There's nothing for the Dragon count to need to be higher beyond Draconic Roar (which is playable without them) and I still have 8 dragons.

I'm using Whisperwood over Nissa because there are a lot more targets to manifest successfully and all my lands got Wrathed repeatedly last time. Its just a test though. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if I go back to Nissa.

I'm just asking if there's a specific goal for using Xenagod. It doesn't increase your clock unless you already have a big dude on board since you're using your turn on him. You're lowering your threat density to make your follow ups insane bombs which is fine, but is he even that good with your cards? Stormbreath, Knuckleblade and xenagos the reveler all already have haste, so he's pretty much only getting full value with Sarkhan and the regents.

It just seems like you're spending a lot of mana for a temur battle rage. At least Atarka wins games when you're behind.(actually, Xenagod with Atarka is a dream I can get behind.)

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159193927]I'm just asking if there's a specific goal for using Xenagod. It doesn't increase your clock unless you already have a big dude on board since you're using your turn on him. You're lowering your threat density to make your follow ups insane bombs which is fine, but is he even that good with your cards? Stormbreath, Knuckleblade and xenagos the reveler all already have haste, so he's pretty much only getting full value with Sarkhan and the regents.

It just seems like you're spending a lot of mana for a temur battle rage. At least Atarka wins games when you're behind.(actually, Xenagod with Atarka is a dream I can get behind.)[/QUOTE]Well, the idea is that I can get my Thunderbreaks or Sarkhan tokens to swing for 8 the turn they come down, Xenagod is pretty hard to remove as a haste-maker and you have a reasonable shot to turn Xenagod on with the mana dork/dragon density. Originally I had pegged that slot was a third Sarkhan Unbroken. But you're probably going to get your way by default: I own 2 Dragonlard Atarka and 0 Xenagods.

Deck: Temur Dragons
u.gif
r.gif
g.gif

//CREATURES
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
3 Courser of Kruphix
4 Savage Knuckleblade
4 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Thunderbreak Regent
1 Dragonlord Atarka

//SPELLS
2 Sarkhan Unbroken
2 Xenagos, the Reveler
3 Draconic Roar
3 Crater's Claws
3 Stubborn Denial

//LANDS
2 Shivan Reef
4 Wooded Foothills
3 Yavimaya Coast
1 Haven of the Spirit Dragon
1 Temple of Abandon
3 Forest
3 Mountain
1 Temple of Epiphany
1 Mana Confluence
4 Frontier Bivouac

//Sideboard
3 Display of Dominance
3 Roast
3 Seismic Rupture
2 Whisperwood Elemental
2 Disdainful Stroke
2 Wild Slash

Display deck statistics

Angry Grimace

It is kind of annoying not being able to test the deck due to stupid MTGO prices. Thunderbreak Regent still 14 bucks on MTGO despite the fact I imagine it will settle at sub 10 relatively soon.

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159209233]Is WW WanderingWinder on MODO?[/QUOTE]
No. Despite WW never appearing online. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Angry Grimace

Xmage takes like 10 minutes to download all card images and install lol.

Yeah, but someone said the same thing about Cockatrice and I couldn't even figure out how to use the thing.

bigkrev

Japan's MM2015 GP was capped at 4000, and sold out today after being on sale for just a couple of hours.

They need to make these events uncapped in the future. If you can't be on sale for a full day before selling out, you have a problem

Angry Grimace

Japan's MM2015 GP was capped at 4000, and sold out today after being on sale for just a couple of hours.

They need to make these events uncapped in the future. If you can't be on sale for a full day before selling out, you have a problem

Its a reflection of how much MM2015 they intend to print

kirblar

The cap is a venue thing. Vegas has a cap of 15K, IIRC.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

I doubt event coordinators would agree with you about this.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159243271]MM2016 grand prix in a field in Oklahoma confirmed[/QUOTE]

They should take a page out of the Yu-Gi-Oh! playbook and just shut down an entire city so everyone can play a trading card game in the middle of the streets.

Angry Grimace

They're not going to print enough, and it's going to be a problem.

Again. Tarmogoyf not moving to rare is the tip of the iceberg. :-/

I'll just play my tokens deck in silence when I get bored and continue to play modern only on MTGO where there isn't some arbitrary limit on how much MM I can buy.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159244846]Could bring in a much needed economic boost to Detroit. Don't even need to shut anything down.[/QUOTE]

"Magic The Gathering: Where the weak are killed and eaten."

Angry Grimace

They're not going to print enough, and it's going to be a problem.

Again. Tarmogoyf not moving to rare is the tip of the iceberg. :-/

No, see, Tarmogoyf has to be Mythic. For reasons.

Angry Grimace

I don't even know why I don't have Whisperwood Elemental in the main of my deck. That card is stupid.

ultron87

Goyf being mythic basically means we're only getting like 100 or so new cards to the world's supply right? :/
There should be about a thousand opened in the main events of the three GPs alone (assuming 20,000 entries * 6 packs * 1/120 odds to open a Goyf).

At test & trade tonight at the local store, someone was playing a Temur deck with Collected Company. He was constantly getting a couple Knucks or Deathmist Raptors or Heirs out at the end of my third turn. I was really really impressed with it and wouldn't be surprised to see that deck show up at the pro tour.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159192025]You really like Xenagod vs Dragonlord Atarka? Having a top end card that's setup rather than something that pulls you back in the game seems slightly suspect to me. Atarka also ups your dragon count. Xenagod does scare the shit out of me, though.

Why Whisperwood in the side over Nissa?[/QUOTE]

Haha, you were right. I played like three matches today and never once was like "I am glad this card is Display of Dominance and not Stubborn Denial or Disdainful Stroke."

Girlfriend's out, time to load up MODO!

Dragon Tribal almost got there :-(

Finals opponent brought in 4 cards that say destroy target creature with flying lol

lolwvojp.png

Deck's dragon synergy was completely absurd, though. Dragonfire, Dragon Edict, Dragon Wall, Dragonloft Idol on top of my 4 dragons. And then I get passed a foil Sidisi in the first pack 3rd pick god knows how that happened.
Haha, you were right. I played like three matches today and never once was like "I am glad this card is Display of Dominance and not Stubborn Denial or Disdainful Stroke."

It's so tricky how they made it look like a Pyroblast to tempt us.

edit: wtf how is foil sidisi worth less than regular

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159285661]Girlfriend's out, time to load up MODO!

Dragon Tribal almost got there :-(

Finals opponent brought in 4 cards that say destroy target creature with flying lol

lolwvojp.png

Deck's dragon synergy was completely absurd, though. Dragonfire, Dragon Edict, Dragon Wall, Dragonloft Idol on top of my 4 dragons. And then I get passed a foil Sidisi in the first pack 3rd pick god knows how that happened.

It's so tricky how they made it look like a Pyroblast to tempt us.

edit: wtf how is foil sidisi worth less than regular[/QUOTE]Because on MTGO the pack foils and the Prerelease foils are the same thing so the supply of foils is a lot higher. I bought Thunderbreak Regent for substantially lower than regular.

I'm really happy with how that Dragon deck plays though. Its probably the first deck I've made that I've actually won at a fairly decent clip with, even if I mostly just took parts out of the previous deck to put Thunderbreak in.

I'm really happy with how that Dragon deck plays though. Its probably the first deck I've made that I've actually won at a fairly decent clip with, even if I mostly just took parts out of the previous deck to put Thunderbreak in.

How's the mana feel with pain vs curving out? Have you considered the 4th Coast to get turn two Knuckleblades more often? Or does that make Courser too annoying to cast?

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159287197]How's the mana feel with pain vs curving out? Have you considered the 4th Coast to get turn two Knuckleblades more often? Or does that make Courser too annoying to cast?[/QUOTE]Its hard to say since its so offset by the number of mana dorks. I also think turn 2 Knuckleblades are overrated, mostly because you can't give them haste on turn two anyways and you often can on turn 3 using Caryatids (meaning you don't hit an Elf turn one and just go straight for the trees).

The only way I got hosed super badly so far was a resolved Hornet Queen. That shit fucking sucks. If Hornet Queen becomes a bigger part of the meta I'll have to shift back to using Anger (which sucks because it kills my Caryatids)

Xis

It's supposed to be 1/8 odds to get a mythic in a pack. So with 15 mythics in a set it is 1/120 to get a specific one.

Basically this.

Too much detail:

In a big set the rare cards and mythic rares are all printed on the same sheet; this rare sheet has one of each mythic (15), and two of each regular rare (53), which adds up to (15+2*53) = 121 cards, which we know is the size of a card sheet. That makes the chance of opening any mythic 15/121 (12.4%), which is very close to the 1/8 (12.5%) chance that Wizards quotes. The chance of opening a specific mythic is (1/121).

In other words,if you are looking for any mythic, you'll see one every 8 packs, but if you are looking for a specific one (say a Tarmogoyf), you will see it every 121 packs.

(This math is for a big set, Wizards quotes the same 1/8 mythic::rare ratio for a small set but I'd wager that the numbers are slightly different).

In a typical box you would see 4.5 mythics, but Modern Masters 2 only has 24 boosters to a box, so it has about 3 mythics per box. On average, you will see one Tarmogoyf for every 5 boxes of Modern Masters opened. Since a 8-man draft uses 24 boosters (one box), it's the same math; for every five 8-man drafts of MM2 that fire one Tarmogoyf will be opened.

There's also the matter of foil mythics; for Khans of Tarkir, Wizards states that approximately one out of every 67 cards is foil; that is approximately 2 foils for every 9 boosters. It seems that Wizards doesn't print foils in the same rarity ratios as non-foils; the internet suggests that one out of every six foils is rare (or mythic). So it might be that you get a foil mythic every (2/9) * (1/6) * (15/121) = 218 boosters, and a specific foil mythic every (2/9) * (1/6) * (1/121) = 3267 boosters.

Modern Masters 2 isn't a regular set though, just like the original Modern Masters, it should have one foil in every pack. If one out of six foils is a rare foil, we will see one foil Tarmogoyf for every 726 boosters opened (1/6)*(1/121). If one out of fourteen foils is a rare foil, we will see one foil Tarmogoyf for every 1694 boosters opened (1/14)*(1/121).

Arksy

Basically this.

Too much detail:

Wizards has never confirmed this, but it is believed that In a big set the rare cards and mythic rares are all printed on the same sheet; this rare sheet has one of each mythic (15), and two of each regular rare (53), which adds up to (15+2*53) = 121 cards, which we know is the size of a card sheet. That makes the chance of opening any mythic 15/121 (12.4%), which is very close to the 1/8 (12.5%) chance that Wizards quotes. The chance of opening a specific mythic is (1/121).

In other words,if you are looking for any mythic, you'll see one every 8 packs, but if you are looking for a specific one (say a Tarmogoyf), you will see it every 121 packs.

(This math is for a big set, Wizards quotes the same 1/8 rare::mythic ratio for a small set but I'd wager that the numbers are slightly different).

In a typical box you would see 4.5 mythics, but Modern Masters 2 only has 24 boosters to a box, so it has about 3 mythics per box. On average, you will see one Tarmogoyf for every 5 boxes of Modern Masters opened. Since a 8-man draft uses 24 boosters (one box), it's the same math; for every five 8-man drafts of MM2 that fire one Tarmogoyf is opened.

There's also a very small chance for a foil mythic; I don't think that the exact collation method for foils is known. I believe that one out every four boosters has a foil, and (1/14) of those foils are rare, and (1/121) of those rares would be a Tarmogoyf, so something like 1 out of every 6776 packs has a foil Tarmogoyf.

Interesting. That's awesome. Thank you.

ironmang

Not counting foils it looks like about an average of $5,000 in packs just to get a set of goyfs. That's assuming packs will be found for MSRP which doesn't seem too likely.

Got a kick out of some guy at my store who didn't want to trade for Etched Champion at $5 because he thinks the price will crash with MM2 releases.

Xis

Not counting foils it looks like about an average of $5,000 in packs just to get a set of goyfs. That's assuming packs will be found for MSRP which doesn't seem too likely.

Yeah, but that would also net you around 4 of every other mythic in the set, and 8 of every rare.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, nobody is answering the obvious question. Do I buy a set of Goyfs, or do I buy 6,777 packs with the odds that I may get a playset. I mean, sure, the Goyfs by themselves mean I'm sure to have them. But if I buy 6,777 packs, I could get anything. I could even get a playset of GOYFS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom