• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daybreak Coronet in MM2015 at rare.

en_wGE9kaalJP.png

I can't help but see a cat in a scarf before I notice the coronet.

Ajani be like, "This scarf is bitchin'" (Although I guess it's actually Brimaz in the art, isn't it?)

ultron87

I've never read Prime Time's flavor text before.

That probably makes the Praetor cycle less likely? It'd be weird to have him and Vorinclex in the same set.

Recall

So what's the going rate for a Tarmogoyf in the UK?

I can't tell if I've put them on for too high or just everyone is just wanting the best deal possible.

OnPoint

I am surprised by the new inclusions however. It's not just going to be MM1 with a few extra cards sprinkled in, so far at least.

ElyrionX

New to modern masters when I could get them for half the price? No. New to $10 boosters? I'd say most people are. I'd half expect to see rares that are actually played in modern eh?

This is not unreasonable. Commons and uncommons, fine. But unplayable rares? Fuck that shit.

MjFrancis

I hope the unplayable rares tank the price of this set. For booster prices that expensive, yes Wizards, I expect nothing less than chase rares. Especially if vendors are looking to price gouge - which they are and will.

While Magmaw is a joke you can bet I'll pull a few Enreks. A 25 cent rare in a $10 pack!

ultron87

Endrek Sahr is just as ridiculous an inclusion as Magmaw.

Though I'm not sure there are even enough "worth it" rares in the format to fill and color balance a whole set.

Matriox

Endrek Sahr is just as ridiculous an inclusion as Magmaw.

Though I'm not sure there are even enough "worth it" rares in the format to fill and color balance a whole set.

I think it would be reasonable to see Endrek if it wasn't just reprinted in commander 2013.

bigkrev

Guys, there are going to be a ton of cards in this set that aren't modern playable at all rarities. You cannot have a functional limited format with nothing but constructed level cards unless you make it like cube and just make every card the same rarity and make packs just have 15 random cards.

I'm guessing that just like MM1, there will also be reprints for the EDH crowd, like Doubling Season, Woodfall Primus, Adarkar Valkyrie and Divinity of Pride in Modern Masters 1

Something I noticed in Maro's article

The team did, by the way, try out infect as a theme. But it wasn't playing nicely with the other chosen themes and was dropped.

This probably means no cards with Infect are in, which most importantly means that Inkmoth Nexus isn't getting reprinted

Modern Masters 1 had all sorts of "junk" rares too. Heck, they actually upgraded Auriok Salvagers from uncommon to rare. If you thought every single rare was going to be a money rare, you were kidding yourself.

Matriox

Modern Masters 1 had all sorts of "junk" rares too. Heck, they actually upgraded Auriok Salvagers from uncommon to rare. If you thought every single rare was going to be a money rare, you were kidding yourself.

It was a bit ignorant to ask for just playable modern rares, I realize it has a dual purpose for refreshing modern supply as well as draft, but I would have at the very least expected rares that didn't recently get a reprint.

MjFrancis

Mirran Crusader seems reasonable for a rare. Endrek Sahr seems ridiculous. May even end up being the cheapest card in the pack from which it's opened. At least cheaper than most uncommons even.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I loved Endrek Sahr in TS block drafts! Card was rad.

... still dont know why hes in this set though.

Because apparently Phyrexian Plaguelord was annoying as fuck.

MMA's draft philosophy was that each two color pair had a viable strategy you could go for. It seems that its the same here - B/G is a token, sac outlet strategy of some kind in MM2015.

oh good it's the time where we whine about janky rares because we've apparently never seen a magic set before

Wonder if they mix and match. A few Titans, a few Praetors? What other big mythic cycle could they mix in?

I don't think there needs to be some dumb cycle here. The factors that push for that sort of thing in Standard-legal sets aren't really in play here. It's more likely that they just populated mythic with individual random cards that fit instead of trying to force a specific visible cycle out of unrelated parts.

This probably means no cards with Infect are in, which most importantly means that Inkmoth Nexus isn't getting reprinted

Inkmoth Nexus is actually the one card I wouldn't explicitly rule out based on that, since it's a rare and it's still potentially interesting in limited even without a dedicated infect strategy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
oh good it's the time where we whine about janky rares because we've apparently never seen a magic set before

I don't think there needs to be some dumb cycle here. The factors that push for that sort of thing in Standard-legal sets aren't really in play here. It's more likely that they just populated mythic with individual random cards that fit instead of trying to force a specific visible cycle out of unrelated parts.

Inkmoth Nexus is actually the one card I wouldn't explicitly rule out based on that, since it's a rare and it's still potentially interesting in limited even without a dedicated infect strategy.

We've never seen 10 dollar packs, either. That said, I don't have an expectation that there will be no jank, that doesn't make any sense in terms of the way MTG is branded and sold. If there was no jank at all, nobody would get any of the cards since the retailers would open the product and sell the singles.

I would be a little surprised to see Inkmoth, but not super-duper surprised. It feels like a card you'd just rare-draft and not necessarily have any wonderful reason to play.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
They could at least exercise some market research and some creativity when filling out the jank spots. Fill a niche. Give people a tribe they like. Reprint something that enables a tier 3 modern deck. Bring back a beloved archetype.

Don't give players paying 10 bucks a pack a piece of shit rare that was just reprinted. Still, it's basically the one misstep so far. The value right now is looking to be way above what MM1 was, I think. Because fuck those stupid Kami-Dragons.

red13th

The rares I want/need reprinted outside of Damnation (which is exceedingly unlikely) are less than $2 (Shadowmage Infiltrator, Mystic Snake and Call of the Herd), so I don't mind MM15 low value rares. I would mind Magmaw because wtf.
I'm really looking forward to the uncommons since I desperately need Avalanche Riders, Gemstone Mine and Mana Tithe.

Angry Grimace

B/G being a token strategy doesn't mean Bitterblossom is being reprinted, obviously not guys <_< >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom