• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Please be real so I can laugh:

mEnnZZp.jpg

Now, this one I am more sure of.

1ede7eS.png

Crocodile

What is the source of that Chandra? At first glance it looks rather believable O_O. I'm sure a more discerning eye will be able to find a million faults with it that make it fake though :p

Also Cryptic Command and Profane Command were just spoiled by @mtgaaron and he confirms no other commands are in the set. So the list from earlier is even further debunked.

f0rk

Please be real so I can laugh:

mEnnZZp.jpg
Interesting, if you get to untap in a deck that can easily flip her she's at least Lava Axe.

I don't normally care about ultimates on planeswalkers cos they are rarely relevant, but this seems like the most win more one ever. I guess it does something in multiplayer but to cast it you've already done at least 11 damage + whatever those two red spells did. It's quite funny that she does exactly 20 on her own at that point though I guess.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The weird part is an emblem doing damage. I'm not sure how that would work; I assume its colorless.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162708415]So my LGS is selling Modern Masters at 280 bucks a pop, and then announced the entry for their Magic Origins Sealed PPTQ at 16 dollars.

I'm so confused.

There's a red symbol in Jeskai Ascendancy, right? Just checking.[/QUOTE]
That has to be a miscommunication of 60 dollars.

Jhriad

I think that the expectation that every pack would pay for itself is pretty absurd for any set. When the set as a whole is looking bad, sure, but so far most of what we're seeing for MM15 is pretty good.

No one but a few naive individuals have the expectation of every pack paying for itself with any set. However, a $9 loss with every pack stings a lot more than $3 (if you're paying MSRP for non-MM packs). With the higher MSRP I think the pressure should rightly be on WotC to deliver a home run with the value in the set.

I mean, MM is supposed to not be aimed at those people, both with the $10 price and the limited supply.

I don't really see either of those as set that way to appeal to or exclude any subset of the player base. The $10 price tag serves multiple purposes here. It helps reduces the temptation for the LGS to sell packs for more than MSRP since the return will be smaller, WotC recognizes they left money on the table with the original MM, and it helps to maintain a price floor for the EV of the set. It combined with the limited supply makes sure that even if they were overly enthusiastic with the expanded printing it keeps the prices of certain staples from collapsing too far.

That has to be a miscommunication of 60 dollars.

Apparently it's advertising for their new event location. My LGS does these sorts of super-discount events every once in a while. It seems to work, because they get fucking tons of people compared to when I first started going.

Angry Grimace

No one but a few naive individuals have the expectation of every pack paying for itself with any set. However, a $9 loss with every pack stings a lot more than $3 (if you're paying MSRP for non-MM packs). With the higher MSRP I think the pressure should rightly be on WotC to deliver a home run with the value in the set.

I don't really see either of those as set that way to appeal to or exclude any subset of the player base. The $10 price tag serves multiple purposes here. It helps reduces the temptation for the LGS to sell packs for more than MSRP since the return will be smaller, WotC recognizes they left money on the table with the original MM, and it helps to maintain a price floor for the EV of the set. It combined with the limited supply makes sure that even if they were overly enthusiastic with the expanded printing it keeps the prices of certain staples from collapsing too far.

In fairness, the number of $10 cards in this set is more than 3 times higher than the number of $10 cards in say, Dragons of Tarkir. I wouldn't be even remotely surprised if the EV of MM2014 is actually more than 2.5 the times that of DTK (packs cost 2.5 times what DTK packs do).

Angry Grimace

If real, it's actually not bad- if you can flip it it's a lava axe that doubles as removal.

Lightning Bolt
Chandra
Lightning Bolt
Chandra
Lightning Bolt
Chandra
Chandra +1

14 damage =V

(I think its fake though, although the art seems legit)

Legendary Creature - Human Shaman? Lolwut.

No one but a few naive individuals have the expectation of every pack paying for itself with any set. However, a $9 loss with every pack stings a lot more than $3 (if you're paying MSRP for non-MM packs).

There's nothing at all to suggest suggest people should expect a $9 loss per pack. That's my whole point, Endrek Sahr is basically irrelevant to the value of the set unless we start seeing a long list of similar rares.

I don't really see either of those as set that way to appeal to or exclude any subset of the player base.

That wouldn't be the primary driver, but I do think it's part of the overall product design of the set. Just like they don't apply NWO to MM (because they expect experienced players with solid rules knowledge to be buying it) they don't really calibrate set contents to the experience of buying a single expensive pack.

EDIT:

Or two different copyright years on the bottom. :p

Ahahaha wow.

red13th

Edel's store is giving a R$100 discount (~30 dollars, so the box would go for 280-290 dollars) if you pay it upfront, I think I'll buy a box. I want one so badly

red13th

swansofbrynargoll.jpg

So are Swans that good in Limited (not a Limited player)? Because they are like $1, and UW is theoretically the artifact colour combo. Oh well.

So here's the problem: the art on that Chandra isn't (at least easily) findable online, and the planeswalker side picture pretty much looks like a full version of the image visible on the Magic Origins playmats that are shown off in the Spellslingers trailer.

ultron87

PW side art is probably legit. Creature side looks like a still from a cutscene in Duels Origins or something. Chandra just looks really small in it for something she should be the focus of.

Arksy

I'm hoping that with mm15 within the set there will be at least enough cards that you could at least construct the bones of a various number of decks. I'd be pissed if that wasn't the case.

Angry Grimace

Nice try Crocodile. They locked your thread on MTGS. I'm surprised you didn't know MTGS is awful (they locked your thread without any real reason and left up those obviously fucking fake spoilers up for weeks).

kirblar

Nice try Crocodile. They locked your thread on MTGS. I'm surprised you didn't know MTGS is awful (they locked your thread without any real reason and left up those obviously fucking fake spoilers up for weeks).
MTGS is dead since the forum move.

edit: See the red name below.

PW side art is probably legit. Creature side looks like a still from a cutscene in Duels Origins or something.

That was my original assumption, but it doesn't match anything in that Duels trailer with Chandra they put out or any of the screenshots released so far.

There's plenty sketchy about this (especially the way it's presented as a godbook/printer's file leak, and the super low resolution) but this is usually the best test for leaks with brand-new artwork -- if you can't find the art then it's probably real. Shrug.

What is the source of that Chandra?

Basically my question.

ElyrionX

I'm hoping that with mm15 within the set there will be at least enough cards that you could at least construct the bones of a various number of decks. I'd be pissed if that wasn't the case.

This really should be the case for a set called Modern MASTERS. But apparently, the limited environment is more important than the actual constructed format that the set is supposed to support.

This really should be the case for a set called Modern MASTERS. But apparently, the limited environment is more important than the actual constructed format that the set is supposed to support.

I'd rather they sell lottery tickets that I can play a fun game with than just sell lottery tickets.

Arksy

I also just learned that WoTC's patent for turning cards sideways to indicate exhaustion expires this year. Sounds like a sufficiently terrible patent that would never have stood up anyway, but now they won't have any leg to stand on.

kirblar

I also just learned that WoTC's patent for turning cards sideways to indicate exhaustion expires this year. Sounds like a sufficiently terrible patent that would never have stood up anyway, but now they won't have any leg to stand on.
Enough games have used similar mechanics that I don't think they've ever wanted to actually act on it unless they're dealing with something like that stupid kickstarter game.

The Limited environment is more important than the constructed one because playing limited is the only way to actually make packs worth their cover price.

I mean, isn't the copyright thing a dead giveaway?

I mean, generally speaking yes, but... where's the art from? There's always a way to answer that for fake cards.

Enough games have used similar mechanics that I don't think they've ever wanted to actually act on it unless they're dealing with something like that stupid kickstarter game.

u mad

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I never particularly though that Hex was doing anything "bad" by so closely adapting MTG structures, but I always did find it hilarious how much people would try to argue that the two games weren't fundamentally similar. Lots of people drawing comparisons like "are all FPS games just the same?" who I suspect weren't actually familiar with just how diverse TCGs are when it comes to rules

Yeef

The design team started by listing all the cards they wanted for Constructed reasons. Many of the cards were unanimous choices... There was discussion of whether or not to reprint powerful cards from the original Modern Masters. Erik felt strongly that if the card was in need of reprinting, they should include it in the set. There was no better place to put Tarmogoyf, for example, than in Modern Masters 2015 Edition.
They started with constructed cards then built a limited set around them and the space that was left.

Given the timeline they had to work with (8th to New Phyrexia), I'd be surprised if there were many 'playable' rares that aren't included in the set. If you look at the rares that see play in Modern most of them are lands that have recently been reprinted or will soon be reprinted. Excluding those we have:

MYTHICS
  • Tarmogoyf (confirmed in)
  • Vendilion Clique (confirmed in)
  • Dark Confidant (virtually confirmed)
  • Kozilek (confirmed)
  • Karn (confirmed)
  • Wurmcoil Engine (status pending; was just in Commander)
  • Mox Opal (confirmed in)
  • Primeval Titan (confirmed in)
  • Batterskull (status pending)
  • Elesh Norn (status pending, probably in)
  • Vedalken Shackles (was in the last one)
  • Emrakul (confirmed in)
  • Kiki-Jiki (was in the last one)
  • Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas (sort of confirmed)

RARES
  • Thoughseize (recently reprinted)
  • Cryptic Command (confirmed in)
  • Profane Command (confirmed in)
  • Mirran Crusader (confirmed in)
  • Endrek (confirmed in)
  • Swans of Bryn Argoll (confirmed in)
  • Scavenging Ooze? (not sure if thise counts; it was printed in commander the same year as New Phyrexia, but not in standard, and therefore modern, until a few years later).
  • Splinter Twin (confirmed in)
  • Grim Lavamancer? (Same deal as Scavenging Ooze)
  • Inkmoth Nexus (status pending)
  • Noble Hierarch (confirmed in)
  • Maelstrom Pulse (probably in, since it was in the last one)
  • Goblin Guide (status pending, probably in)
  • Slaughter Pact (was in the last one)
  • Spellskite (confirmed in)
  • Blinkmoth Nexus (was in the last one)
  • Arcbound Ravager (was in the last one)
  • Manlands (status pending)
  • Master of Etherium (status pending)
  • Steel Overseer? (M11 is technically after New Phyrexia)
  • Pact of Negation (was in the last one)
  • Etched Champion (confirmed in)
  • Summoner's Pact (was in the last one)
  • Birds of Paradise (status pending, though I'd imagine not with Noble Hierarch in)
  • Hivemind (status pending; I'd be surprised if this were in)
  • Azusa, Lost but Seeking (status pending, but expected since it's also a commander card)
  • Aether Vial (was in the last one at rare)
  • Mutavault (recently reprinted)
  • Blood Moon (was in the last one)
  • Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle (probably in)
  • Oblivion Stone (status pending)
  • Scapeshift (status pending, probably in if Valakut is)
  • Bloodghast (probably in)
  • Engineered Explosives (was in the last one)
  • Pyromancer Ascension (status pending)
  • Life from the Loam (was in the last one)
  • Knight of the Reliquary (was in the last one)
  • Fulminator Mage (status pending)
  • Damnation (status pending)
  • Golgari Grave-Troll? (was unbanned after this set was developed, I think)
  • Ad Nauseam (status pending)
  • Living End (status pending)
  • Daybreak Coronet (confirmed in)
  • Kor Spiritdancer (pending, probably in)
  • Bitterblossom (pending)
  • Mistbind Clique (pending)
  • Melira (pending)

If all of the listed cards were to be in the set, that would still leave 2 slots for rares and 1 for mythic. Some of those cards aren't likely to be reprinted for various reasons (including recent reprints, low price point, fringe playability and being past the cutoff date). There's also plenty of land cycles that deserve a reprint, which I think would be worth knocking out some fringe/low-cost playables.

I'm guessing, must like the first set, about 40% of the rares will be unplayable in constructed, but still great in limited.

I never particularly though that Hex was doing anything "bad" by so closely adapting MTG structures, but I always did find it hilarious how much people would try to argue that the two games weren't fundamentally similar.

Yeah, Hex is clearly a spinoff design from MTG at absolute best, I just don't care. WotC isn't going to do anything similar, Hex is basically no serious threat to even WotC's abhorrently poor digital efforts, and copyright law explicitly doesn't protect game rules.

Yeef

Lightning Bolt at Uncommon makes sense. I figured they'd re print it, but I felt like it was going o warp the format too much at common. Glad to see it's uncommon.

Yeef

Apparently Bitterblossom and Bloodthrone Vampire squeeze Bloodghast out of the crunch.

I'm pretty disappointed in Bitterblossom being mythic. I was hoping it being printed at rare would stabilize the price to something reasonable; but at Mythic I doubt that will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom