• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

I thought MM1 was one of the worst limited formats ever, so whatever. I'm only playing the GP so I can get a raffle ticket to win something actually valuable. I have no hopes to get any sort of decent sealed pool whatsoever. :lol

The rares I want/need reprinted outside of Damnation (which is exceedingly unlikely) are less than $2 (Shadowmage Infiltrator, Mystic Snake and Call of the Herd), so I don't mind MM15 low value rares. I would mind Magmaw because wtf.
I'm really looking forward to the uncommons since I desperately need Avalanche Riders, Gemstone Mine and Mana Tithe.

Mana Tithe is what...50 cents?

I thought MM1 was one of the worst limited formats ever, so whatever. I'm only playing the GP so I can get a raffle ticket to win something actually valuable. I have no hopes to get any sort of decent sealed pool whatsoever. :lol

MM1 is the "Greatest Hits" album of Limited. It's just the stuff you remembered liking, without really doing anything new or even presenting it in a new fashion. Some people really like that, some don't. I'm hoping this set is a bit more creative than the first, but I actually enjoyed MM1 draft a fair bit (price notwithstanding).

bigkrev

I'm curious to here what limited formats you liked, in that case. I thought MM limited was incredible, with only Chk/Chk/Bok being higher on my list

We've never seen 10 dollar packs, either. That said, I don't have an expectation that there will be no jank, that doesn't make any sense in terms of the way MTG is branded and sold. If there was no jank at all, nobody would get any of the cards since the retailers would open the product and sell the singles.

Right. Modern Masters had winners like Cold-Eyed Selkie, Earwig Squad and Molten Disaster (plus reprinted-to-hell stuff like Squee, Goblin Nabob) and it was still worth opening at MSRP. You have to assume that 5-10 rares are just going to be there for limited or other random purposes. That's not actually that big a deal because almost nobody is opening exactly one pack of this set; even at the higher price, people are generally gonna be drafting or else opening a full box plus. A few janky rares don't impact the overall value that much. (Janky mythics are much worse since mythic slots are a rare resource so they're directly keeping something else good out of the set.)

I would be a little surprised to see Inkmoth, but not super-duper surprised. It feels like a card you'd just rare-draft and not necessarily have any wonderful reason to play.

Yeah, I basically agree with that position.

does Richard Garfield still play an active role in Magic or has he moved on from that?

The last time his main job was Magic was back when he finished Arabian Nights, but basically every time he has some free time Rosewater wrangles him into a design team. (Given that the last two were consensus best-two-sets-ever Ravnica: City of Guilds and Innistrad it's about time they get him in again, I think.)

Firemind

I'm curious to here what limited formats you liked, in that case. I thought MM limited was incredible, with only Chk/Chk/Bok being higher on my list
Faeries and their queen are dumb, Aether Vial is even dumber and mono brown is one of the dumbest things you can allow in a limited environment. Like, having your entire deck lacking any major colour identity is everything that's NOT Magic. Magic is about mana which is made up of five colours. If they do go back to New Mirrodin I hope they've learned from their mistakes. Scars wasn't a disastrous limited format but it wasn't brilliant either.

The rares I want/need reprinted outside of Damnation (which is exceedingly unlikely)

This is irritating to me given that there's absolutely no reason not to include the card in one of these. It's an elegant card, a little too good for Standard but totally reasonable for a draft environment at this power level, and it's up there at the top of the list of Modern-era cards that need a reprint. The Judge promo definitely signals that it's not in the set, but I don't get why they made it a promo when they're fixing the other big omission from MMA (Hierarch.)

I never got why some people liked this format better with a pack of Betrayers. Can you explain?

bigkrev

List of nonplayable rares in MM1

Adakar Valkyrie
Auntie's Snitch
Auriok Salvagers
Cold-Eyed Selkie
Countryside Crusher
Demigod of Revenge
Divinity of Pride
Doubling Season
Dragonstorm (was part of the Blazing Shoal infect deck that was legal for 1 tournament, so this is debatable)
Earwing Squad
Grand Arbiter Augusin IV
Greater Gargadon
Jhoria of the Ghitu
Meloku the Clouded Mirror
Molten Disaster
Oona, Queen of the Fae
Rude Awakening
Skeletal Vampire
Squee Goblin Nabob
Stonehewer Giant
Verdeloth the Ancient
Woodfall Primus

That is 22 of the 53 rares in the set- almost 50% of the rares were unplayables
I never got why some people liked this format better with a pack of Betrayers. Can you explain?

The common splice removal spells were really interesting (Horobi's Whisper and Torrent of Stone) that required work to be rewarded instead of just generally powerful like Glacier Ray, The spirit/Arcane deck got a nice boost from the Uncommon flip legends and the common charge Baku cycle, and Ninja's are really fucking cool

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/ar...asters-2015-edition-event-schedule-2015-05-04

Participation avatars on MTGO for MM2015 are Dark Confidant and Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas, which are obviously in the set.

mjF1h5e.png

Jhriad

oh good it's the time where we whine about janky rares because we've apparently never seen a magic set before

Did you think the Magic community would have low expectations of a set with a prettty damn high MSRP? If I crack a $10 pack (or, as is likely with my LGS, $14+) I'm looking to at least get a percentage of value back. The commons will be nuked into nonexistence value-wise as will the vast majority of the uncommons so it's up to the rares to carry a greater weight than they would in a normal set. I'm honestly less concerned with the value I'd get in a draft since I could potentially win some packs to offset the cost but the thought of just cracking into a $0.25 card for a $10+ buy-in is gross.

red13th

http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/ar...asters-2015-edition-event-schedule-2015-05-04

Participation avatars on MTGO for MM2015 are Dark Confidant and Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas, which are obviously in the set.

mjF1h5e.png

Nooo there goes my Shadowmage Infiltrator reprint (and I bought a UB Tezz last month).
Well unless they do it like they did with Izzet in MMA and put two Dimir cards instead of a gold and a hybrid. I won't give up hope!

This is irritating to me given that there's absolutely no reason not to include the card in one of these. It's an elegant card, a little too good for Standard but totally reasonable for a draft environment at this power level, and it's up there at the top of the list of Modern-era cards that need a reprint. The Judge promo definitely signals that it's not in the set, but I don't get why they made it a promo when they're fixing the other big omission from MMA (Hierarch.)

Yeah I have no idea why they treat Damnation as something so special that can't be reprinted.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Are they really doing new Dark Confidant art again? Or are those avatars always unique art?

MTGO avatars are always weird versions of the existing art. It means Skrillex version is being reprinted and Tezz probably has his original art.

OnPoint

Nooo there goes my Shadowmage Infiltrator reprint (and I bought a UB Tezz last month).
Well unless they do it like they did with Izzet in MMA and put two Dimir cards instead of a gold and a hybrid. I won't give up hope!

Yeah I have no idea why they treat Damnation as something so special that can't be reprinted.
Tezz will be mythic. Shadowmage will be rare. It's still possible.

As for Damnation, I have a baseless theory that they want it in standard down the line.

Jhriad

That's not actually that big a deal because almost nobody is opening exactly one pack of this set; even at the higher price, people are generally gonna be drafting or else opening a full box plus.

In threads like these, full of folks angled more at competitive Magic, we forget exactly how large the casual, non-competitive crowd is and those are exactly the folks that won't draft the set but just open a few packs. That's pretty much all of my Magic playing friends with the exception of two guys. I opened exactly two packs of MM at $16 each, got Kiki-Jiki and Elspeth and then never opened another pack.

The Judge promo definitely signals that it's not in the set, but I don't get why they made it a promo when they're fixing the other big omission from MMA (Hierarch.)

Maybe it'll show up in a supplemental product like Conspiracy 2 or the next set of Commander product. They did reprint some nice stuff in Conspiracy and putting Damnation in the next version would certainly make me draft the product a lot more. Do you think the Judge promo means we won't see it until MM2017?

Angry Grimace

Tezz will be mythic. Shadowmage will be rare. It's still possible.

As for Damnation, I have a baseless theory that they want it in standard down the line.

Damnation is actually more in black's color pie than Wrath of God is since "can't be regenerated" is pretty black. But the 4-mana sweeper is probably dead, still.

I believe it was said in an article recently they don't want 4 mana standard board wipes without stipulations anymore.

The idea is apparently that they print conditional sweepers at 3 mana (Drown in Sorrow/Anger of the Gods/etc.) and unconditional sweepers with upside at 5.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
If they're going with tokens as a theme for MM2 I hope they reprint Sprout Swarm.

Just kidding, fuck that card. One of the most annoying cards in the history of Magic.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162676384]Apparently TCG mid is $276.67.[/QUOTE]

I wish Thoughtseize was in the set with its original art, but it won't be since its standard legal. The funny part is that nobody would actually get upset to open a Thoughtseize in MM15, but they still wouldn't do it.

Of course, I own 7 copies of Thoughtseize as it is so I don't exactly need more of them.

I wish Thoughtseize was in the set with its original art, but it won't be since its standard legal. The funny part is that nobody would actually get upset to open a Thoughtseize in MM15, but they still wouldn't do it.

Of course, I own 7 copies of Thoughtseize as it is so I don't exactly need more of them.

Yeah, I have a signed and unsigned playset, but they're all from Theros. I'm not a huge fan of either art, though.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162677455]Yeah, I have a signed and unsigned playset, but they're all from Theros. I'm not a huge fan of either art, though.[/QUOTE]

I just like that the original is a little more colorful. The Theros version is a dude flipping out.

Hopefully they keep the original Guay art for Bitterblossom if and when it makes it in. Although I already have a playset of them anyways.

Crocodile

They could at least exercise some market research and some creativity when filling out the jank spots. Fill a niche. Give people a tribe they like. Reprint something that enables a tier 3 modern deck. Bring back a beloved archetype.

Don't give players paying 10 bucks a pack a piece of shit rare that was just reprinted. Still, it's basically the one misstep so far. The value right now is looking to be way above what MM1 was, I think. Because fuck those stupid Kami-Dragons.

They told you why Endrek is in the set, to help the B/G sacrifice deck. While it would be nice if all the rares were money rares, considering stuff like Blood Moon is unplayable in limited, you're going to get some cards like these. I also don't think his inclusion forces out something like Bitterblossom from the set.

Faeries and their queen are dumb, Aether Vial is even dumber and mono brown is one of the dumbest things you can allow in a limited environment. Like, having your entire deck lacking any major colour identity is everything that's NOT Magic. Magic is about mana which is made up of five colours. If they do go back to New Mirrodin I hope they've learned from their mistakes. Scars wasn't a disastrous limited format but it wasn't brilliant either.

What are you even talking about? Fae were a reasonable limited archetype in both Lorwyn limited and MM1. Aether Vial was a rare put in just for the sake of Modern, that one rare didn't impact the limited format in any negative way. That Modern Masters formats have to both reprint a bunch of expensive cards and be reasonably good limited formats mean that not every rare can be good in limited and constructed. Finally, most affinity decks in MM1 (especially MM1) and Mirrodin classic limited had colored cards and a color identity. Like if you're worried about constructed I don't think that will be an issue given how Scars of Mirrodin block fared but since we are talking about limited formats you just sound like a silly, rambling goose.

Now answer the krev's question, what limited formats did you enjoy and why? (Granted, you don't actually have to answer that question but it would be nice it you stayed on topic :p)

Angry Grimace

If black has a tokens strategy, I can't imagine they wouldn't reprint Bitterblossom. Its a reasonable to great card in any tokens strategy even if you just ignore the Tribal synergy aspect.

So what are the rules for sealed pools at the MM15 GP.

If I open (to register) a ridic pool. Can I drop?

Or can I only drop after i register + pass then receive my "playable pool"

ultron87

I haven't yet decided what my drop/pass threshold for a bonkers pool would be. Like, would I pass a non-foil Goyf? On a pure EV basis it probably is correct to drop in that case (unless the price really takes a dive), but traveling and then not even playing in the actual event is super lame.

I haven't yet decided what my drop/pass threshold for a bonkers pool would be. Like, would I pass a non-foil Goyf? On a pure EV basis it probably is correct to drop in that case (unless the price really takes a dive), but traveling and then not even playing in the actual event is super lame.

Can't you just pay to get a pre-registered pool? Doesn't that a) save you the trouble of registering a pool and b) removes that temptation? Or is that option only available if you have byes?

OnPoint

I believe it was said in an article recently they don't want 4 mana standard board wipes without stipulations anymore.
They also said they didn't want to break land cycles up between blocks and then we didn't get all the fetched in Khans through Dragons. Things change.

ultron87

Can't you just pay to get a pre-registered pool? Doesn't that a) save you the trouble of registering a pool and b) removes that temptation? Or is that option only available if you have byes?

I could. I think it is 25 extra over the standard reg. Not sure it is worth it for just that since I don't have any byes.

Matriox

They also said they didn't want to break land cycles up between blocks and then we didn't get all the fetched in Khans through Dragons. Things change.

This is true. Don't get me wrong, I want to see damnation sooner rather than later, and wouldn't mind seeing it in standard.

Firemind

What are you even talking about? Fae were a reasonable limited archetype in both Lorwyn limited and MM1. Aether Vial was a rare put in just for the sake of Modern, that one rare didn't impact the limited format in any negative way.
Faeries in Lorwyn block was a fun tribal-based archetype. What made it annoying in MM1 was Oona at rare (Oona was from Shadowmoor so you couldn't draft her with faeries from Lorwyn) and Bonesplitters at common. Suddenly those faeries can turn into 3/1 or 5/1 and hit like trucks. Aether Vial only made it worse. Now you could cheat tons of mana and worse is it fits in every deck because every deck has creatures. Yeah, it was now valued at rare, but it wasn't uncommon to see it in sealed pools in big events. Did I mention Bonesplitter at common? Which brings me to

Finally, most affinity decks in MM1 (especially MM1) and Mirrodin classic limited had colored cards and a color identity. Like if you're worried about constructed I don't think that will be an issue given how Scars of Mirrodin block fared but since we are talking about limited formats you just sound like a silly, rambling goose.
By my count, there are 32 artifacts and 11 of them have coloured mana somewhere on the card. No, Sunburst doesn't count. My belief is that artifacts that work well together with other artifacts are extremely toxic to the game. That extends to both constructed and limited. Artifacts should be just what it says on the tin: artifacts. Tools or objects of (human) conception. Having artifacts in a set is fine, but artifacts should never be the main focus of a deck that doesn't really have to strain its mana base. Shards of Alara block fixed this issue by adding mana restrictions, so they worked like any other card only it has an additional type. What they did with MM1 is they added Frogmites, Myr Enforcers and Court Homunculuses nobody wanted except the mono brown player and made them fucking bonkers together. Sure, mono brown favoured U/W, but there were games that played out in a fashion where the mono brown player just vomitted his or her hand into play and wrecked people with powered up robots thanks to Bonesplitters. Affinity is the single dumbest keyword in the history of the game. At least Storm changed the game in an exciting way.

Now answer the krev's question, what limited formats did you enjoy and why? (Granted, you don't actually have to answer that question but it would be nice it you stayed on topic :p)
I think I said this before, but my top three are Ravnica-Guildpact-Dissension, Time Spiral-Time Spiral-Planar Chaos and Invasion-Planeshift-Apocalypse.

Did you think the Magic community would have low expectations of a set with a prettty damn high MSRP?

I think that the expectation that every pack would pay for itself is pretty absurd for any set. When the set as a whole is looking bad, sure, but so far most of what we're seeing for MM15 is pretty good.

In threads like these, full of folks angled more at competitive Magic, we forget exactly how large the casual, non-competitive crowd is and those are exactly the folks that won't draft the set but just open a few packs.

I mean, MM is supposed to not be aimed at those people, both with the $10 price and the limited supply. It's a product designed to be bought and sold in full-box (i.e. draft set) quantities. As long as the product is good enough in aggregate I don't think a few janky cards is a problem there.

Do you think the Judge promo means we won't see it until MM2017?

Because it's not unique in any real way (just the original art in the new border) I do think it means we won't see it in a set this year, since that'd tank the value on the Judge one. It took 3 years to reprint Hierarch after the Judge promo, although I don't think that's a hard floor.

I just hope MM2 takes a page from VMA and brings back Battle Screech!

trollface.gif

By my count, there are 32 artifacts and 11 of them have coloured mana somewhere on the card. No, Sunburst doesn't count. My belief is that artifacts that work well together with other artifacts are extremely toxic to the game. That extends to both constructed and limited. Artifacts should be just what it says on the tin: artifacts. Tools or objects of (human) conception. Having artifacts in a set is fine, but artifacts should never be the main focus of a deck that doesn't really have to strain its mana base. Shards of Alara block fixed this issue by adding mana restrictions, so they worked like any other card only it has an additional type. What they did with MM1 is they added Frogmites, Myr Enforcers and Court Homunculuses nobody wanted except the mono brown player and made them fucking bonkers together. Sure, mono brown favoured U/W, but there were games that played out in a fashion where the mono brown player just vomitted his or her hand into play and wrecked people with powered up robots thanks to Bonesplitters. Affinity is the single dumbest keyword in the history of the game. At least Storm changed the game in an exciting way.

I basically fundamentally disagree with your assessment (both of Artifacts and of Faeries), but I think the disagreement just stems from differing opinions of what "good" is, so it's not worth arguing.

However, if you think that Skyreach Manta is a colorless card, you're insane. ;)

Angry Grimace

In fairness, the difference is that the land cycle thing was an offhand comment from Maro, and the removal thing was an official article from Sam Stoddard.

Its not like Stoddard said "4 mana wraths are done forever," but he also made that announcement right before Khans came out and he knows whats in the sets 2 years out. Its not a matter of things just changing; he'd have to have been practically lying for Damnation to wing its way into a set in the near future.

f0rk

The last MM draft I did I won with first pick foil Arcbound Ravager in a artifact Uwr (I think, it was at least Uw) deck. I don't mind having an artifact colour combo at all, it was pretty sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom