• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scaleguard does so much work in draft it's crazy.
Having arguably the best common, uncommon AND rare in FRF probably helped lol

My round one ended in 7 minutes and my round two opponent just disconnected as I have multiple lethal creatures, a tapper and he has no board lol

3 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
4 Den Protector
3 Deathmist Raptor
3 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Thunderbreak Regent
2 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Whisperwood Elemental
1 Dragonlord Atarka
1 Dragonlod Dromoka

4 Mastery of the Unseen
2 Dromoka's Command

4 Wooded Foothills
2 Windswept Heath
4 Temple of Abandon
3 Temple of Plenty
3 Mana Confluence
4 Forest
3 Mountain
2 Plains

sb
2 Nissa, Worldwaker
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Ajani Mentor of Heroes
3 Xenagos, the Reveler
2 Dromoka's Command
4 Anger of the Gods

It's top heavy, but what are the main weak spots in the meta for this deck? I've been trying to find something I can slot Anafenza II into that gets better with her but doesn't necessarily need her. And her on the board with Mastery activations is insanity.

It's top heavy, but what are the main weak spots in the meta for this deck? I've been trying to find something I can slot Anafenza II into that gets better with her but doesn't necessarily need her. And her on the board with Mastery activations is insanity.

Anafenza into Courser into Thunderbreak is not really happening with that mana. It seems like you're mashing up GR Dragons with GW Devotion, which is a fine idea, but you're probably winding up weaker than both decks here. You're gonna lose games to hurting yourself and not being able to use your mana efficiently, and the games your deck does work you're probably not getting the payoff. Three colors with these cards also means you can't run Nykthos or Haven effectively which are pretty important tools.

When Brad Nelson was curving Sylvan Caryatid into a hasty Butcher, he was getting something more from his extra colors. Anafenza into Whisperwood is sweet, and Thunderbreak into Stormbreath is sweet, but you're not always going to get the cards that work together well and when you don't you're going to just be a weaker GW or GR deck.

Also, Anafenza into Whisperwood or Mastery is the mondo combo, but you're pretty much locked into nothing ever getting past a 3/3. That's fine, but what are you trying to blow out at that point? It pretty much only ever matters in the mirror.

I don't think the meta is the main issue here. My problem with Anafenza other than destroying your mana is that you're going to work hard to go off with her and she's going to wind up a fleecemane lion at best without the upside in most games. She's probably awesome with Den Protector, but Den Protector is a beast by himself.

I think if you want to play Anafenza, you should stick to a more aggressive shell where you can get multiple triggers per turn early and pressure your opponent. By making your deck a somewhat clunky midrange strategy you're not really getting a benefit from having her in your deck. The main thing is to think about what your gameplan is when you're tuning your deck. Whisperwood and Stormbreath don't generally have the same strategy in mind.

Personally, I'm considering looking into a mono-white counter-theme brew with Anafenza. There's a surprising number of options here.

Yeah, the double white is gonna be ruinous. I think if I were to use her in manifesting and morphing, it'd have to be a GW morph deck. Like, chop out the red from this deck and go more for GW good stuff.

I'm trying to find a good shell that incorporates both the maternal witness/raptor combo and effective use of Thunderbreak & Stormbreath. My problem is, these both start working extremely well with Dromoka's Command. And Atarka's Command is only middling here. I suppose I could splash white in this main deck only for the masteries, commands and the DLORD himself. But just a white splash always makes white the limiter in how many times you can utilize Mastery.

I'm trying to find a good shell that incorporates both the maternal witness/raptor combo and effective use of Thunderbreak & Stormbreath.

Why? These synergies work towards two completely different goals. The megamorph engine is for generating attrition, and the dragons want a deck that constantly attacks so the damage triggers and burn spells put your opponent in a corner. One wants to wait out your opponent's hand, and the other kills them before the cards are relevant. All four are good cards, but without a single goal, you're going to find yourself switching roles constantly in the same game to your detriment.

y2dvd

My lgs is taking MM2 preorders for $240. This is the first time I've considered ordering a box all to myself. Worth it?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My lgs is taking MM2 preorders for $240. This is the first time I've considered ordering a box all to myself. Worth it?
That's almost exactly MSRP.

That's what I paid, although I was absolutely drunk to shit when I made that decision.

Looking on the Mothership... Crucible of the Spirit Dragon is seeing tournament play in winning decks? Seriously?

Yeah, its in Mono Blue 5 color dragons! Its actually really good in a control mirror; just put counters on it until you can cast Dromoka off 1 land and hold up a ton of counter magic to keep him up through your opponents turn.

MjFrancis

At MSRP your LGS is almost certainly making $100. They are already making out like bandits on MM2, I'd buy in before things start getting any more crooked than that.

I had a shop owner tell me that some shops are considering selling at $15/pack given what's been spoiled so far. I almost hope they do that and crash the sales of this set, people shouldn't stand for that sort of gouging.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
At MSRP your LGS is almost certainly making $100. They are already making out like bandits on MM2, I'd buy in before things start getting any more crooked than that.

I had a shop owner tell me that some shops are considering selling at $15/pack given what's been spoiled so far. I almost hope they do that and crash the sales of this set, people shouldn't stand for that sort of gouging.

My shop owner said he's going MSRP period no matter what's in the set and that he doesn't see any way he's gonna sell out since he's getting "a ton."

MjFrancis

On the other side of things I'd heard some store owners haven't bought to their full allocation since the bill for a MM2 shipment is going to be so much. They are paying almost double per box and some smaller stores don't have $10k sitting in the bank to buy up to their full allocation. That's probably why the one guy on eBay presold a bunch of boxes at $195, he likely just needed money in the bank to afford MM2 to begin with.

Arksy

Meanwhile, at draft down in Adelaide.

Mana Screw, mana screw, mana screw, mana screw.

Easily the most frustrating aspect of MTG. On the verge of actually ditching the game. Maybe I'm being melodramatic but it's hard to convey the level of pissed off I am. :(

Angry Grimace

Meanwhile, at draft down in Adelaide.

Mana Screw, mana screw, mana screw, mana screw.

Easily the most frustrating aspect of MTG. On the verge of actually ditching the game. Maybe I'm being melodramatic but it's hard to convey the level of pissed off I am. :(

Its one of the two things about Magic that piss me off to no end: in the end its luck based and mana screw just exacerbates the luck issues, and; second, you're rarely rewarded for building a cool or fun deck.

Not buying a box is going to be my justification for blowing way too much money at Vegas side events.

If I was at Vegas, the kind of "side event" I'd be going to wouldn't be more games of Magic, it would be getting drunk and gambling.

kirblar

Its one of the two things about Magic that piss me off to no end: in the end its luck based and mana screw just exacerbates the luck issues, and; second, you're rarely rewarded for building a cool or fun deck.
This is true of literally every game. When you do something fun or cool that's also the best, it's no longer fun/cool when half the people start doing it.

y2dvd

Roommate says the EV for MM2 is $350. Not sure what his source is but if that's the case, I think i 'll get a box. I'll need Modern trading material anyways.

Jhriad

Here's hoping that MM15 is successful at igniting demand for more Modern staples.

Hoping to sell my Snapcaster playset for around double the current value before the card is inevitably reprinted.

Roommate says the EV for MM2 is $350. Not sure what his source is but if that's the case, I think i 'll get a box. I'll need Modern trading material anyways.

How would we know this when the vast majority of the rares haven't been spoiled and even the majority of the mythics that were leaked aren't officially spoiled so there could be some differences there. Everything under rare is going to crater in value and I'm sure a lot of the rares will see a pretty good dive as well.

Arksy

Doubt it, something tells me that this run isn't anywhere near as limited as MM1.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162303337]Why? These synergies work towards two completely different goals. The megamorph engine is for generating attrition, and the dragons want a deck that constantly attacks so the damage triggers and burn spells put your opponent in a corner. One wants to wait out your opponent's hand, and the other kills them before the cards are relevant. All four are good cards, but without a single goal, you're going to find yourself switching roles constantly in the same game to your detriment.[/QUOTE]

My thesis for the strategies is that one picks up where the other lets off. At least, that's the plays-out-in-my-head strategy. And it was a brew. I haven't even goldfished this yet.

Angry Grimace

This is true of literally every game. When you do something fun or cool that's also the best, it's no longer fun/cool when half the people start doing it.

Its not true of every game. What are you even talking about?

kirblar

Its not true of every game. What are you even talking about?
Street Fighter.
MoBAs.
Hearthstone
Magic.

Any game involving choice/composition with a variable metagame forces you to play the best thing possible. Creativity/Cool things can sometimes work, but once they work, they're going to be adopted by the masses and be the standard issue thing.

Real Life Example: Esper Dragons. James and Shaheen blew people out with this deck. People were dumb and only CFB noticed, and CFB rocked people at the PT with it. Then people noticed CFB's results, and suddenly it's now the highest-% deck in the metagame.

You have to play to win. You have to learn to rip your heart out, stomp it on the ground, and play with the weapon that you feel is best at eviscerating your opponent.

If you don't like that style of play (and you really don't seem to), you probably shouldn't be trying to play hardcore competitive. A format like Legacy/Vintage gives you a lot of free wins against less-skilled competition btw, simply by knowing the format/interactions better, (its why people are more consistent on that side of the SCG circuit, along with availability issues), so I suspect you're seeing that effect when you play those formats online.

I actually feel that trying to teach people to build their own decks is a bad idea if they're starting to play competitively. Tier-whore and copy until you figure out WHY this stuff's working, then try to create it yourself.

Angry Grimace

Street Fighter.
MoBAs.
Hearthstone
Magic.

Any game involving choice/composition with a variable metagame forces you to play the best thing possible. Creativity/Cool things can sometimes work, but once they work, they're going to be adopted by the masses and be the standard issue thing.

Real Life Example: Esper Dragons. James and Shaheen blew people out with this deck. People were dumb and only CFB noticed, and CFB rocked people at the PT with it. Then people noticed CFB's results, and suddenly it's now the highest-% deck in the metagame.

You have to play to win. You have to learn to rip your heart out, stomp it on the ground, and play with the weapon that you feel is best at eviscerating your opponent.

If you don't like that style of play (and you really don't seem to), you probably shouldn't be trying to play hardcore competitive. A format like Legacy/Vintage gives you a lot of free wins against less-skilled competition btw, simply by knowing the format/interactions better, (its why people are more consistent on that side of the SCG circuit, along with availability issues), so I suspect you're seeing that effect when you play those formats online.

I actually feel that trying to teach people to build their own decks is a bad idea if they're starting to play competitively. Tier-whore and copy until you figure out WHY this stuff's working, then try to create it yourself.

Well, I was thinking of sports, where everyone can't copy you since they can't just have the same players.

As for Vintage, its fun to play, but its actually way too fucking hard because the number of lines you can take is absurdly high. The VSL is probably the hardest Vintage competition ever held since while Eternal Weekend stuff does happen, its mostly just super rich dudes. There's a reason why the VSL deck types mostly pushed out the old Oath decks, etc. that had existed forever.

Jhriad

Well, I was thinking of sports, where everyone can't copy you since they can't just have the same players.

Copying in sports is less about the individual players and more about how you use those players. Unless you're talking about a sport with a very small team size the majority of players are "plugged in" to the existing system. The copying in major sports comes with the copying of systems/playbooks/scheme and on the micro level you copy things like technique. The Spread Option was a more unique and "fun" system a couple years ago but as it's become much more widespread it's lost a lot of that. Certain systems will be a better "fit" for players with a particular skill set and you would basically just find a free agent or draft a player to fit that role. Individual talent really only determines which system(s) and techniques would be the best fits for each individual. You can't really copy the talent but you can copy what is applicable to your talents.

TL;DR : There's a metric ass-ton of copying in major sports.

Edit: Basically my point is that netdecking is analogous to copying playbooks or other minutia that every major sports team copies from each other. It doesn't give you the same talent, experience, and feel for the game that Brad Nelson might have just because you copied his deck. You won't know automatically know how to adjust the deck to the meta, side in versus certain matchups, or just pilot the deck to max.

Joe Molotov

My LGS is taking preorders of MM15 for $200. This seems like a good deal compared to what you guys are getting charged. I don't even play modern, but I kinda want to buy a box just for drafting and then trade the good stuff.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
My LGS is taking preorders of MM15 for $200. This seems like a good deal compared to what you guys are getting charged. I don't even play modern, but I kinda want to buy a box just for drafting and then trade the good stuff.

Buy as many boxes as you can and sit on them for a few years.

Doubt it, something tells me that this run isn't anywhere near as limited as MM1.

Near-daily reminder that all evidence points to a print run 4-8 times as large as MM1.

I think there's some amount of deck-building you need to do to get to a decent skill point in the first place, but for someone trying to take that next step I absolutely agree with this. Take a proven list and learn it inside-out.

kirblar

I think there's some amount of deck-building you need to do to get to a decent skill point in the first place, but for someone trying to take that next step I absolutely agree with this. Take a proven list and learn it inside-out.
My first PTQ Top 8? I took the deck that won the last one and practiced it solo for hours.

It was Aluren so not quite as applicable elsewhere, (you probably need a 2P) but still, same principle applies.

Zocano

How do you guys suppose the bigger run of MM2 will affect the prices?

I know with the limited run of MM1 they kind of screwed up the prices big time by increasing demand without any real supply backing which is what caused the big upshot but would this new run ideally dip the prices down to somewhat reasonable levels?

I mean I'm not expecting $30 dollar Tarmogoyfs or anything
but a man can dream.

Most commons and uncommons will crater, role-player/sideboard rares will sink significantly and not rebound soon, big rares and mythics will dip some but not a ton. If Opals are $50 now they might get down to $35.

As long as they're doing a limited run, I can only see it repeating the MM1 pattern of a brief price reduction followed by a heavy rebound do to all the new players it will bring into Modern.

As long as they're doing a limited run, I can only see it repeating the MM1 pattern of a brief price reduction followed by a heavy rebound do to all the new players it will bring into Modern.

Who are the new players it's gonna bring into Modern now, though? A few years ago there was hesitation about whether it was going to be a real, supported format. At this point, though, the format is pretty well established and I doubt there's an equally large set of people waiting in the wings to buy in this time.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I've been saving my MtG money since MM1 rotated out. Do the kids still say "going HAM?" Because I'm about to do that on some MM2. It's dumb, it's money down the tubes, but fuck it. I've scrimped and work 60+ hour work weeks while going to school part time.

I have earned my pack cracking addiction, dammit. Come on Goyf. Let me open just one and I will be happy.

Zocano

Mmmmmmm

considering grabbing a box of MM2 and I can draft it out with some friends.

$200 for a box seems ideal so I'll see if I can find one for that in my area.

f0rk

I've been saving my MtG money since MM1 rotated out. Do the kids still say "going HAM?" Because I'm about to do that on some MM2. It's dumb, it's money down the tubes, but fuck it. I've scrimped and work 60+ hour work weeks while going to school part time.

I have earned my pack cracking addiction, dammit. Come on Goyf. Let me open just one and I will be happy.

Are you coming to Utrecht?

red13th

Assuming it's rare it should tank. It's not even a popular card anymore after pod so it could easily be ~15-20 or even less.

I really hope they don't upgrade her, it wouldn't surprise me but she's definitely not mythic material. They even printed a better constructed mana dork in DRS and he was rare.

bigkrev

I doubt that they are ever going to upgrade the rarity of cards that were printed in a Mythic Rare set. The only one they have done so far was Knight of the Reliquery for a Duel Deck I think

I doubt that they are ever going to upgrade the rarity of cards that were printed in a Mythic Rare set. The only one they have done so far was Knight of the Reliquery for a Duel Deck I think

They upgrade stuff to mythic all the time for non-randomized products (like, say, anything reprinted in a From the Vaults.) I can't think of a case where a rare from a set with mythics was itself upgraded to mythic, and I doubt they'll be starting with MM15 when there are plenty of actual mythics to fill those slots.

My cube would love uncommon Hierarch, but that's never happening. My realistic dream is uncommon pain lands, which would make the mana in Peasant Cube almost perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom