• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope! I forgot Bonfire of the Damned.

That card might not be blowing up eternal formats, but damn was that card ever a fuckup.

EDIT: And Mental Misstep is practically colorless, not blue. That's why it was a mistake. :p

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Nope! I forgot Bonfire of the Damned.

That card might not be blowing up eternal formats, but damn was that card ever a fuckup.

That's stretching it pretty darn far. It was a great card for a brief period in standard. It wasn't even the best, or strongest miracle card.
And not one of them is red.

Also, two of the blue ones were "good" enough to be banned in Legacy.

Wasn't disagreeing with you or anything. Just making a list.

Crocodile

A)There is almost always a competitive Red deck in every format. Shit, a Red deck just steam rolled the Pro Tour
B) Red is probably the best color in Dragons of Tarkir Limited
C) Draconic Roar, Roast, Thunderbreak Regent, Atarka's Command, Atara herself all had near immediate constructed impact

With regards to power level, what more do you want? You want an arbitrary $40 Red mythic or something?

OnPoint

That's stretching it pretty darn far. It was a great card for a brief period in standard. It wasn't even the best, or strongest miracle card.

Wasn't disagreeing with you or anything. Just making a list.

Sure. I getcha. It kind of reinforced my point though too, since Deathrite is a green powerhouse.

Jhriad

Even still, Red isn't just Burn, it's aggro as well. They have a lot of space to work with there.

That's why I didn't mention Aggro. Burn can't be pushed easily because it would be breaking with their current design philosophy but Aggro could see some push. I'm curious what Red's new keyword is/how common the 'can't be blocked by fewer than two creatures' evasion becomes in Red. There's some interesting design possibilities there.

Red is pretty tough to keep under control from a design perspective. Maybe the real choice is to give Red some added flexibility instead of pushing Aggro or Burn.

The point of Red is to beat $20 cards with $1 cards anyway. And it's pretty damn good at it.

Also, if you want a red "mistake" in the modern era, Kirblar would argue for Splinter Twin. ;)

WanderingWind

Delver and True-Name are the worst of the bunch. Blue shouldn't be able to do either of those things.

Red did get at least one Modern playable in Khans, with Swiftspear. White got a legacy playable in Mentor. Neither are broken, either. Prowess is such a boss mechanic.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Isn't the best card in modern a red card?

latest

Crocodile

Y'all know when this mythical Red card that turns every format on its head gets printed y'all are going to be complaining "WTF was WOTC thinking?! What morons!"

Delver and True-Name are the worst of the bunch. Blue shouldn't be able to do either of those things.

Red did get at least one Modern playable in Khans, with Swiftspear. White got a legacy playable in Mentor. Neither are broken, either. Prowess is such a boss mechanic.

Just because the development on them was botched doesn't make them outside of Blue's color pie.

But yes Prowess is sweet and is probably on the short list for evergreen status

A card from the first set is still the best legal Red card. Shows just how poorly developed Red is.

I don't think that's in red's color pie... lol

A) If Ancestral Recall was legal in Modern it would be the best Blue card in the format too. That doesn't really mean anything except that Lightning Bolt is CRAZY good by modern standards.

B) They've been pushing temporary coping effects in Red. Flamerush Rider is a recent example.

OnPoint

A) If Ancestral Recall was legal in Modern it would be the best Blue card in the format too. That doesn't really mean anything except that Lightning Bolt is CRAZY good by modern standards.

B) They've been pushing temporary coping effects in Red. Flamerush Rider is a recent example.

A) But it's not. And even still, that Ancestral is so broken that even cards that are significantly worse than it are still not Modern legal.

B) Let's see them push it then.

WanderingWind

Just because the development on them was botched doesn't make them outside of Blue's color pie.

No, but being outside of blue's color pie does make them outside of blue's color pie. Blue should not have 3 power flyer on turn 2 for any reason. Cheap, efficient colors shouldn't be in blue. The fact that it immediately made it into every format possible is pretty much proof of that. It didn't replace a worse, cheap efficient blue creature. It set the archetype and it's never been around sense.

And Nemesis...I don't recall blue have protection from anything besides red in its pie. Protection from everything is much, much more white's deal. Plenty has been written about the mistakes of this card, so I feel pretty comfortable with my stance on this one.

I still play Delver variants though.

WanderingWind

4 bolts
4 lava spikes
4 rift bolts
4 lightning rod
4 goblin guides
4 swiftspear
4 shock
4 wild slash
4 eidolons
4 shard volley

some mountains or some shit who cares we're already in value town

Epic Burn
RR
Instant
Epic Burn deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
At the beginning of each of your upkeeps, if Epic Burn is in your graveyard, you may copy it and choose new targets for the copy.

That's a good card.

Random thought

Birthday Rush - 1RR
Sorcery
Gain control of all nonland permanents until end of turn. (They do not untap or gain haste.)

Any good? At worst, it's "creatures can't block".

WanderingWind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163064497]"Red isn't developed enough!"

*can only come up with broken red cards that are lightning bolt but stupid*[/QUOTE]

lol

Firemind

*can only come up with broken red cards that are lightning bolt but stupid*[/QUOTE]
lmao if you think i was being serious

OnPoint

The creature I made up? Yeah. I was clearly going for a Lightning Bolt variant.

The spell I made up? Was totally different.

Fuck Everything, I'm Burning It Down 3RR
Sorcery M
Exile the top card of your library. If said card is a red instant or sorcery spell, you may cast it without paying it's mana cost, otherwise you take 5 damage. Repeat until someone loses.

red13th

was talking to a friend of mine form work who played from 4th Ed until Alliances and apparently he has a few Force of Wills, he had no idea they were worth that much since they were uncommon. lol

Landslide Ritual 3RR
Sorcery

Search your library for any number of lands and put them onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library At the end of the turn, sacrifice all lands you control.

Swiss Army Spell {R/G/W/U/B}
Instant U
Choose one:
*Deal 3 damage to target creature or player
*Target creature gains +3/+3
*Gain 3 life
*Draw 3 cards
*Add BBB to your mana pool

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Am I Doing This Right?

Torrent 1RRR
Instant
Copy every sorcery or instant spell on the stack. You may choose new targets for those copies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Red is a sucky color because it has no real identity outside of burn.

I can do this all day.

WKuwgu0.png

I mean its Mythic I guess. Because its broken. At least the tokens from Bridge don't instantly kill you.

Am I Doing This Right?

Torrent 1RRR
Instant
Copy every sorcery or instant spell on the stack. You may choose new targets for those copies.

Cards don't reference the stack explicitly.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Maro's spoiler:

dNdHMBR.png

Garbage-tier reprint because it doesn't have "(Z–>)90º – (E–N²W)90ºt = 1" on the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom