• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucario

en_n3URMIZp2G.png

bad art :(

Firemind

I don't understand how people can prefer the modern borders. I mean look at this:

The scroll-like text box is perfect for a fantasy card game. The darker contrast in the background also makes it more vibrant. Then there are the subtle differences between the colours:

The text box of black cards shows more wear than green cards, while other colours don't use the text box scrolls. Red has a small crack in the lower left:

I can point out many more reasons why classic borders are best borders.

ElyrionX

I don't understand how people can prefer the modern borders. I mean look at this:

The scroll-like text box is perfect for a fantasy card game. The darker contrast in the background also makes it more vibrant. Then there are the subtle differences between the colours:

The text box of black cards shows more wear than green cards, while other colours don't use the text box scrolls. Red has a small crack in the lower left:

I can point out many more reasons why classic borders are best borders.

When I buy old cards, I always go for the newest possible version available.

I don't mind old borders, but old templating bothers me more than it should. I could put Radiant, Archangel into my Peasant Cube (thanks to Vintage Masters), but the only paper printing of the card is so awkward that I decided against it.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162902614]9th(on tiebreakers) and 2nd place at these different qualifiers are the worst feeling.

Also, how bad is your Abzan Aggro matchup? Rhino and Dromoka's command just seem like total feel bads.[/QUOTE]

I only played abzan aggro in the 5th round, which was at 11:30pm and was a very goofy/tired round.

Match 1 was super grindy and involved a lot of chumping with tokens. 1 ascendancy got commanded but then I drew 2 more and was able to go super wide and win.
Match 2 went better for me. I main board 2 valorous stances and 3 strokes so I dont sweat rhinos too much. He landed a whip but couldn't keep up with Ojutai and ascendancy.

The deck needs some tuning. I never went 0-2 always went to 3 games when i lost.

but yeah 9th on tiebreakers feels bad man.

Firemind

I don't mind old borders, but old templating bothers me more than it should. I could put Radiant, Archangel into my Peasant Cube (thanks to Vintage Masters), but the only paper printing of the card is so awkward that I decided against it.
1. It's Radiant Archangel, without the comma;
2. White modern borders are one of the more ugly ones because there's little contrast between the text box and the background.

I actually keep a page reserved in my binder for only old border legends because I think they look cool. So far I have Ascendant Evincar, Volrath the Fallen, Spirit of the Night, Radiant Archangel, Mageta the Lion, Arcanis the Omnipotent, Multani Maro-Sorcerer, Sliver Queen and Kamahl Pit Fighter.

Joe Molotov

They missed their chance at the dawn of the format and now they're stuck with it since destroying a thousand bucks of value for people is gonna produce some grumblin'.

They should do a FTV set that's full of nothing but Tarmogoyfs and other expensive staple cards, but just give them all really shitty art. Like maybe just a white box with a stick figure in it and an arrow pointing to it that says Tarmogoyf.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
They should do a FTV set that's full of nothing but Tarmogoyfs and other expensive staple cards, but just give them all really shitty art. Like maybe just a white box with a stick figure in it and an arrow pointing to it that says Tarmogoyf.
The card's name can be "technically a tarmogoyf". Same stats, stick figure art. Everyone wins.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Planar Chaos is good. The backgrounds actually fit the colors instead of being generic tinted noise.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think literally everyone could have guessed about Dark Confidant being in the set though.

But hey, 12/15 Mythics are all of them are $15+ cards. The cheapest one is Primeval Titan at ~$16.

Huh. I never noticed the comma. You do have a point there. White on white background is pretty loose. All the other colours though are clearly superior with the old bolders.

Given that, you know, her name is a freakin' adjective, they should have listed it as Radiant, the Archangel.

OnPoint

I think literally everyone could have guessed about Dark Confidant being in the set though.

But hey, 12/15 Mythics are all of them are $15+ cards. The cheapest one is Primeval Titan at ~$16.

Given that, you know, her name is a freakin' adjective, they should have listed it as Radiant, the Archangel.

1. I'm happy with the mythics so far.

2. Radiant, Archangel sounds cooler. It sounds more regal. Radiant the Archangel sounds like Fido the Dog or Sonic the Hedgehog. Bleugh.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
1. I'm happy with the mythics so far.

2. Radiant, Archangel sounds cooler. It sounds more regal. Radiant the Archangel sounds like Fido the Dog or Sonic the Hedgehog. Bleugh.

Radiant is a dumb name, is kind of the point. Its just an adjective. Its like if her name was "Glowing."

Angry Grimace

Makes way more sense with artifacts being U/W and since Tezz 1 sees play here and there.

Channel Fireball posted a statement on Reddit about the artwork "scandal." They've been going back and forth with the artist since October (!!) apparently, and the artist has yet to provide "reasonable" (their words) proof that the artwork was stolen. They have opted not to re-sell the artwork while the issue is ongoing, but will give the artwork to the authorities given current circumstances.

http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/353gpy/channelfireball_statement_regarding_amy_weber/

The whole thing sounds very very weird.

Angry Grimace

Its not fishy at all. The art for Crystal Rod probably isn't super in demand so if someone said, I have it for 200 bucks, maybe they bought it and then asked Amy and she flipped out without actually proving it. If some guy said "hey that's my laptop" at a laptop you bought off a classmate, I don't think you'd just hand it to them, would you?

The weird part is how apparently they've been at an impasse for months (despite and/or because of lawyers), but one Facebook post and Reddit thread and now the art is going to the police. I'm not suggesting this is proof of anyone's wrongdoing, but it is weird.

Angry Grimace

Just did Wasteland Remastered draft. Dropped almost immediately since this is just not my bag. Its better than triple Tempest, but I just don't care for older sets much, particularly when I have no real nostalgia for it. My time is worth more than my money.

Well. I've recently assembled my first EDH deck and played a couple of games. Normally the idea is to fetch swords and whatever else is appropriate for the moment and put it all on Kemba. She then pumps out cat tokens that are getting all sorts of buffs themselves. Full protection from enemy colors and double-strike to go with the Swords are the number one priorities, but the strategy can steer creature-heavy or token-heavy depending on the draw.

The thing is, I know I definitely want Austere Command and maybe Day of Judgement or Elspeth, Sun's Champion in there, but I don't know what to take out. The first instinct is to swap out a board wipe, but I assume as mono-white I shouldn't have too few.

Anyway, here it is and critiques would be welcome.

Code:
[B][U]Kembatron[/U][/B]

[B]Commander[/B]
Kemba, Kha Regent

[B]Creatures[/B]
Stonehewer Giant
Auriok Windwalker
Steelshaper Apprentice
Raksha Golden Cub
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Leonin Abunas
Indomitable Archangel
Hero of Bladehold
Sliverblade Paladin
Mentor of the Meek
Mikaeus, the Lunarch
Kor Duelist
Leonin Shikari
Auriok Steelshaper
Puresteel Paladin
Sunspear Shikari
Stoneforge Mystic

[B]Equipment[/B]
Batterskull
Sword of Kaldra
Shield of Kaldra
Helm of Kaldra
Masterwork of Ingenuity
Basilisk Collar
Sword of Body and Mind
Sword of Feast and Famine
Sword of Light and Shadow
Sword of War and Peace
Sword of Fire and Ice
Lightning Greaves
Fireshrieker
Konda's Banner
Umezawa's Jitte
Godsend

[B]Artifacts[/B]
Caged Sun
Gauntlet of Power
Well of Lost Dreams
Akroma's Memorial
Extraplanar Lens
Scroll Rack
Doubling Cube

[B]Planeswalkers[/B]
Nahiri, the Lithomancer
Eslpeth. Knight-Errant
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

[B]Instants[/B]
Valorous Stance
White Sun's Zenith
Argivian Find
Enlightened Tutor
Condemn
Path to Exile
Swords to Plowshares
Return to Dust
Comeuppance

[B]Sorceries[/B]
Revoke Existence
Gift of Estates
Phyrexian Rebirth
Steelshaper's Gift
Ritual of Restoration
Divine Reckoning

[B]Enchantments[/B]
Endless Horizons
Concerted Effort
Quest for the Holy Relic
Celestial Mantle
True Conviction

[B]Lands[/B]
Windbrisk Heights
Eiganjo Castle
Ghost Quarter
Secluded Steppe
Vesuva
Ancient Den
Kor Haven
Arcane Lighthouse
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
Emeria, the Sky Ruin
Mutavault
Drifting Meadow
Temple of the False God
23x Plains

It's the same reason why their digital strategy is so poor and why the Reserved List is still around; management is utterly incompetent and is deathly afraid of killing the golden goose.

Eh, those two things have very different causes from each other (putting people without tech skills or management experience in charge of dev teams, and the overzealous Hasbro legal team, respectively.)

Horde of Notions still uses "play" instead of "cast"?

It'd be a functional change.

Planar Chaos is good. The backgrounds actually fit the colors instead of being generic tinted noise.

Even Rosewater says that the PC frames are the better version of the 8E frame.

Zendikar v. Eldrazi Duel Deck? Sign me up.

New Ulamog on the one side, Avenger of Zendikar on the other. Book it.

The weird part is how apparently they've been at an impasse for months (despite and/or because of lawyers), but one Facebook post and Reddit thread and now the art is going to the police.

But twenty redditors told me that Weber being pushy about it wouldn't accomplish anything!

Those + Black Text = perfection.

I think the M15 frames are a strict improvement over the 8E versions, but what I'd really love are M15 frames, but Planar Chaos style, black text, and with one of those DFC circles including a card type icon. That'd be close to perfect.

ElyrionX

Eh, those two things have very different causes from each other (putting people without tech skills or management experience in charge of dev teams, and the overzealous Hasbro legal team, respectively.)

So broadly speaking, you are saying that the firm is poorly managed, no?

Firemind

That flavour text on Remand is such a downgrade. To be fair, everything that involves the Azorius is boring. I always thought it was an Izzet card, since the mage on the flavour text who I assume just casted Remand seems to have a sense of humour. Azorius stealing our thunder. How droll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom