• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Rares are cheaper online, Mythics are more expensive, due to the needing a 1x full set to redeem a real one.

Only true of very specific cards in my experience. The redemption thing does hit the jank mythics though.

Nah, its because you have a "spare" rare set floating out there for each redeemed mythic set.

Yeah; the way the system is set up, it forces Mythics to leave the MTGO economy exactly twice as fast. It means that there are proportionally fewer Mythics in circulation in MTGO than there are in paper (as compared to Rares).

Wichu

But, a bit counterintuitively given how much Magic is based on discrete actions, you can have simultaneous effects, and the tokens enter the battlefield at the exact same time as the boost takes effect

Doesn't the boost take effect before the tokens enter the battlefield?

The boost is a static ability, and therefore starts applying immediately.

The token production is a triggered ability, and therefore goes on the stack after Master of Waves hits the battlefield and has to resolve before the tokens are produced.

Kerrinck

Doesn't the boost take effect before the tokens enter the battlefield?

The boost is a static ability, and therefore starts applying immediately.

The token production is a triggered ability, and therefore goes on the stack after Master of Waves hits the battlefield and has to resolve before the tokens are produced.

Yeah, the boost effect is in place as soon as the Master is resolved and since the ETB trigger is still on the stack, the boost is already in effect before it resolves.

played Modern for the first time last night. Using a modified event deck.

0-2 vs pod
1-2 vs faeries
2-0 vs infect (green)
0-2 vs burn

I could won the burn game but I made a misplay in the 2nd game :\

Tons of fun. Making some side + deck changes this week. Can't wait for next Tuesday. I think I might retire from limited until Khans and just play modern.

Source of the information. At Gamescon in Germany, one of the Hasbro guys mistakenly opened up the Duel Decks instead of the sample decks and had everyone pass it around to look at it, but they realized the mistake before long and the poster only remembered a few of the cards he saw.

kirblar

Source of the information. At Gamescon in Germany, one of the Hasbro guys mistakenly opened up the Duel Decks instead of the sample decks and had everyone pass it around to look at it, but they realized the mistake before long and the poster only remembered a few of the cards he saw.
Which makes this tweet hilarious: https://twitter.com/Wizards_MagicEU/status/499253698795560960

Apparently we may be getting the new cards/Duel Deck announcement shortly, anyway.

Shards of Alara had tricolor lands that came in tapped at uncommon and Evolving Wilds variants for each shard at common, but Wizards has said that a big mistake with that block was the lack of color fixing. Considering the guildgates, I'm guessing we'll get the tricolor tapped lands at common this time and something else at the other rarities.

Crocodile

Scars fastlands

They have names specific to Mirrodin/New Phyreixa though so they can't be reprinted in a block expansion.

Shards of Alara had tricolor lands that came in tapped at uncommon and Evolving Wilds variants for each shard at common, but Wizards has said that a big mistake with that block was the lack of color fixing. Considering the guildgates, I'm guessing we'll get the tricolor tapped lands at common this time and something else at the other rarities.

Tri-lands are WAY more powerful that Gates even with Gate interactions. These will be uncommon. They just have to bump up the mana-fixing in other ways. Morph will also help similar to how cycling help Shards block.

What about the Odyssey pay lands? lol

Those lands are garbage. How cares about them?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think lands being super expensive commodities is something that's always going to turn people off on non-rotating formats since land seems like such a basic concept. My wife has only a basic understanding of MTG and telling her that land costs 50 bucks a pop made her think I was insane.

ultron87

In an ideal format the lands shouldn't ever cost that much. I'd hope that Wizards agrees with that. If they reprint fetches in the numbers that shocklands were, they should be okay for a good while.

OnPoint

Please note the 'lol' in my comment about the Odyssey lands. I was merely bringing them up as an unfinished cycle. Was a joke, don't be so srs guys.

kirblar

In an ideal format the lands shouldn't ever cost that much. I'd hope that Wizards agrees with that. If they reprint fetches in the numbers that shocklands were, they should be okay for a good while.
Zendikar fetches were cheap (10-15 range) for a very long time.

Lucario

I wonder if WoTC has 'price targets' for what a competitive deck in each format should cost.

When I bought into Modern, shocklands were the barrier to the format, clocking in at 15-30 bucks each. Some went for more, momentarily, before we realized a Return to Ravnica was happening.

Cheap fetches were just kind of a given, until SCG started buylisting them for significantly over market value ($30 for a blue fetch when they were 20 on tcgplayer).

Angry Grimace

I wonder if WoTC has 'price targets' for what a competitive deck in each format should cost.

I don't think they have the capability to determine how much a deck is going to cost because they don't have the capability to grind deck tests the way MTGO players do.

ultron87

I know. I wish I was playing at shops back then so I could have cared to snap up a set. That was before Modern took off and Magic's player base more than doubled. If they reprint them at level appropriate for a new set with the current player base (ie not limited print Modern Masters) they should get back to around those levels.

Crocodile

Yep. I swore to myself I wouldn't let those lands leave Standard without acquiring a playset of each. Picked up the last two Misty Rainforest I needed to compete my full set for $20 total. If I knew then what I knew now I would have made sure to pick up multiple playsets instead :p

Please note the 'lol' in my comment about the Odyssey lands. I was merely bringing them up as an unfinished cycle. Was a joke, don't be so srs guys.

You gotta capitalize your LOLs or else they are too easy to miss :p

rexor0717

All I know is I'll be drafting the shit out whatever set has allied fetches. I wonder if they'll start at $10 like the original fetches.

Angry Grimace

All I know is I'll be drafting the shit out whatever set has allied fetches. I wonder if they'll start at $10 like the original fetches.

The originals will dip heavily the moment they get announced, but "new" fetches will be like 20 bucks before they start dipping I imagine. I imagine they'd dip even if they were ONS fetch reprints.

Predictions for Khans mechanics, some more likely than others:

Abzan (WBG) - "Whenever CARDNAME attacks or blocks, you gain 1 life."
Abzan does not appear to be graveyard focused, and the other major thing these colors share is life gain. At Comic-Con, Abzan was described as playing the long game, and constant life-gaining is a good way to extend the game. Lifelink is too strong to just put on every creature, so this seems like a good variation. It's kind of boring, but that's what Wizards often does. Abzan might also have a lot of "whenever you gain life" cards.

Jeskai (URW) - Spellmorph, because shut up. It could be like, "You may cast this face down as a 2/2 creature for (3). If you pay its spellmorph cost, or when it is turned face up, exile it and and cast it from exile without paying its mana cost if able."

Sultai (BGU) - Delve (each card you exile from your graveyard while casting this spell pays for 1), because Sultai has a mechanic based on resource manipulation and Wizards has been trying to fit delve into a set for a while.

Mardu (RWB) - Hard to say, since almost any combat mechanic could work. I'll go with fixed flanking, like, "Whenever a creature blocks this creature, the blocking creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn." Flanking mainly appeared in these colors, anyway.

Temur (GUR) - Like how Odric had a mechanic similar to battalion in M13, I get the feeling that Might Makes Right is a preview for Temur's mechanic. It will be an ability word with effects like, "If you control each creature on the battlefield with the greatest power or with the greatest toughness, then..." with the toughness part added for blue.

kirblar

Morph is the universal mechanic (and I suspect it will also appear in set 3) so I don't think it's a good candidate for a wedge mechanic.

Morph is the universal mechanic (and I suspect it will also appear in set 3) so I don't think it's a good candidate for a wedge mechanic.

Yes, but I hope Jeskai also gets spellmorph. As in:

Morphshock - R
Instant
Morphshock deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
Spellmorph R (You may cast this face down as a 2/2 creature for (3). If you pay its spellmorph cost, or when it is turned face up, exile it and and cast it from exile without paying its mana cost if able.)

ultron87

I'd want Spellmorph to do something silly like flipping on the stack to change its effect. But that doesn't really work with how priority works. Unless you got the chance to flip it right before it resolves with no chance for response.

Angry Grimace

Morphshock - R
Instant
Spellmorph R (You may cast this face down as a 2/2 creature for (3). If you pay its spellmorph cost, or when it is turned face up, exile it and and cast it from exile without paying its mana cost if able.)

Maro says spellmorph is an impossible characteristic.

Crocodile

Morphshock - R
Instant

I'm like 99% sure they've said something like this breaks Magic (as in the rules) and can't be done.

Angry Grimace

I'm like 99% sure they've said something like this breaks Magic (as in the rules) and can't be done.

Morph by rule only applies to permanents and Wizards will not allow a non-permanent to become a permanent.

Firemind

Spellmorph doesn't sound very martial arts-y the Jeskai seem to portray though.

Some ideas:

Life Force - Whenever you lose life, you may have CARDNAME deal 1 damage to target player.
Feint - Whenever CARDNAME attacks and isn't blocked, you may have it deal X damage to target creature, where X is its power. If you do, prevent all combat damage CARDNAME would deal this turn.
Serenity - Whenever a source deals damage to CARDNAME, draw a card, then discard a card.
Power Up - Whenever CARDNAME attacks, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a creature card, CARDNAME gains +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the revealed card's power.
Ascension - Whenever CARDNAME deals combat damage to a player, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a creature card, add X +1/+1 counters to CARDNAME where X is the revealed card's power.

Kerrinck

Hopefully they can find a way to release some decent tri-lands that can come into play untapped. Only ones I can think of are the Homelands ones and those were absolutely terrible.

Morphshock - R
Instant

You just triggered my trap card

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Spellmorph doesn't sound very martial arts-y the Jeskai seem to portray though.

Ascension - Whenever CARDNAME deals combat damage to a player, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a creature card, add X +1/+1 counters to CARDNAME where X is the revealed card's power.

I like it, but as a keyword its kind of busted. If it just added one counter if the revealed card is a creature it could be pretty awesome though.

Druid of the Deep Woods
2GU
3/3
Ascension
Whenever you put a +1/+1 counter on Druid you may draw a card

Angry Grimace

I mean, by rule instants and sorceries cannot be on the battlefield as permanents, even when morphed. It also makes no sense to do so, since you can just morph in permanents that have an "ETB when morphed" (a regular ETB will not trigger on Morph).

Fun fact: before the rules for face-down cards were made part of the rules, you used to be able to really fuck with opponents with the card Illusionary Mask, because it was face-down, yet its abilities still worked. You just didn't have to reveal them; e.g. you could play Platinum Angel as a face-down creature and then when the game ends, you just say "I don't lose." They don't get to check the card, they just have to assume you're telling the truth.

Illusionary Mask now basically makes your creatures have morph, but turned up when it taps. The effect is basically just "ignore ETBs," so you can just cast Phyrexian Dreadnought with it.

Crocodile

So they've already done:
-When unmorphed do X
-Morph on non-creature permanents
-Morphs that can turn themselves or others back down and/or face up multiple times
-Creatures with quirky/saboteur combat abilities (so their identity being unknown makes blocking super awkward for the opponent)
-Split mana costs over turns so that the equivalent of X+ drops in power level can begin swinging on turn X-Y
-Creatures with negative static effects that aren't in effect when morphed

Aside from fiddling with the mana costs and P/T ratios to bring the new creatures up to Modern standards, what design space is out there to explore? I'm kind of expecting Dual Lands with Morph (a continuation of what Zoetic Cavern started).

Angry Grimace

So they've already done:
-When unmorphed do X
-Morph on non-creature permanents
-Morphs that can turn themselves or others back down and/or face up multiple times
-Creatures with quirky/saboteur combat abilities (so their identity being unknown makes blocking super awkward for the opponent)
-Split mana costs over turns so that the equivalent of X+ drops in power level can begin swinging on turn X-Y
-Creatures with negative static effects that aren't in effect when morphed

Aside from fiddling with the mana costs and P/T ratios to bring the new creatures up to Modern standards, what design space is out there to explore? I'm kind of expecting Dual Lands with Morph (a continuation of what Zoetic Cavern started).

Don't forget "morph creature that is better when morphed."

Oj05EDp.jpg

There is the area of triggered morphs, like:

Dodging Walrus - 3UU
Creature - Walrus
Hexproof
Morph 3UU
When Dodging Walrus becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, if it is face down, you may turn it face up.
3/3

Also, I want a variation of Scornful Egotist that addresses devotion.
Devout Egotist - 4UUUU
Creature - Human Wizard
Morph U
1/1

Angry Grimace

We'll start getting spoilers at the beginning of September right? I'm getting kind of hyped for this next set!

I think we're supposed to be fed more info at PAX (Aug 29-Sept 1)

Angry Grimace

This was actually printed to facilitate the "CMC matters" subtheme of Scourge.

Although "better when morphed" counts as well.

I mean, okay, a 2/2 for 3 mana is not typically a bad deal in limited, but the other modes are so random they'd never see practical use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom