• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I don't see them reverting the core sets back to biennially. They're tied too closely to the Duels games, and act as the bridge between that and the full game.

Seems to me that annual Core sets allows them to take risks (like reprinting Mutavault), without having the effects ripple through two years of tournament play, rather than a little over a year.

Kerrinck

Yeah I think it's too expensive for what it is too. I got excited at the mention of a potential combo but alas it was just faulty reading.
Infect is a pretty nice deck and surprisingly not too expensive compared to some other decks.
Here's a list that I sometimes play on mtgo http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1204109
The worst match ups for it are Tron and Affinity since the deck really cannot handle artifacts and Karn too well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I wonder if MM2 will have Bitterblossom in it? I'd like some paper versions of that card.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
She's not. She's too strong to return alongside Thoughtseize and Mono-B devotion, however.

Hopefully they don't have another worthless mythic cycle like they do in every set.

Hero

I think we definitely need to see a Noble Hierarch reprint in MM2. Its omission from the core set with exalted was dumb.

OnPoint

Does a core set every year seem like too often for anyone else?

Absolutely but I can understand why they do it. It's a way to keep Standard fresh and print potentially metagame-warping cards like Mutavault and Thragtusk with them only being legal one year if needed.

I wish they'd do Core Set one year, then the next year Modern Masters, and alternate them.

Yeef

Core Set every year seems fine to me. If anything is too much, it's the summer onslaught, of which ends with the core set. Releasing three new sets in as many months makes things a bit daunting. I understand why they do it, but assuming all three releases appeal to you, it's a lot to deal with.

Zocano

I've been thinking if WotC will ever try to bring down creature power level for standard. I know with Modern it can't happen unless there are huge bannings, but is a move towards weaker creatures possible? Or even a good idea? I didn't play a ton of magic pre-Zendikar so I'm not sure how long this sort of meta/trend/etc. has been going for.

Speaking of Modern, 5-Color Bogles did it! I won the modern weekly at my LGS ^_^

My opponents:

1. Burn
  2. UW Enchantment Control
  3. UWR Flash
  4. UR Delver

Now all I have to do is find a legacy grinder somewhere and I'll have won a tournament in every format :3

Angry Grimace

I've been thinking if WotC will ever try to bring down creature power level for standard. I know with Modern it can't happen unless there are huge bannings, but is a move towards weaker creatures possible? Or even a good idea? I didn't play a ton of magic pre-Zendikar so I'm not sure how long this sort of meta/trend/etc. has been going for.

Creatures were shit in pre-Modern mostly just because the designers were concerned about the game ending too quickly. They aren't going to just "power down" because people would stop playing in general if Standard power level was so far below Modern as to not be fun.

Really, look at how much bellyaching there is about how weak the creatures are in Theros block. Hell, look at how much bellyaching there was during Return to Ravnica block about how weak the creatures were! And people get positively outraged by "junk rares", even if they are perfectly playable in limited. Significantly lowering the power level of creatures again is just asking for trouble.

ElyrionX

Yeah I hear a lot of people complain about the power level in Standard as it is and in the LGSs that I've been to, people are always telling me that they've stopped playing Standard for now due to the low power levels.

I kinda felt bad because the Burn player was a kid who just started learning modern and was kinda heartbroken when he found out he couldn't target my creatures because of hexproof, couldn't target me because of the leyline, and he'd have to kill my creatures three times over because of totem armor.

Oh well.

The UWR Flash player was one of our local judges and it was an insanely fun match. I mulliganed to 4 the second game and almost brought it back by playing around as many spells as possible with Inquisition and baiting counters. Last game was just nuts. He set up a real crazy triple block with Blade Splicer and Resto Angel that I had to order correctly or get blown out. Of course the judge would test my rules knowledge lol. Just a lot of fun. Almost enough to make me like modern.

I hate the enchantment control deck. Fuck Runed Halo.

ironmang

Because of this comment I'm going to brew a Modern deck featuring Damnation. You know what, Floch inspired me to break Quicken in Modern. I've always wanted to cast Cruel Ultimatum EOT.

Haha ya Cruel Control is really the only deck that's at all known and runs Damnation. Not a deck I'd recommend though since it's bad matchups like burn are pretty horrific.

I've actually been thinking about trying Quicken in Scapeshift. I have a couple flex spots and it seems pretty nuts against decks like Twin or UWR that won't be expecting it at all. In the mirror, responding to a Scapeshift with a Scapeshift might just be the best thing I could do in this game.

Firemind

I googled for some ideas and I didn't know Patrick "The Innovator" Chapin wrote an article about his top ten Grixis decks of all time. I can maybe manage a top five at most. :lol (I also really loved playing UWR or Jeskai as it's now called.)

Angry Grimace

Okay guys, we're getting to the point where some of the Theros cards are going to be pretty reasonable pickups: what cards are you going to pick up in advance of Khans coming out? Or are you just going to wait until spoilers?

Angry Grimace

Cards I'm thinking about picking up: Stormbreath Dragon, Xenagos the Reveler, Keranos, Master of Waves, Thassa. Courser is probably a decent pickup now that the clash pack is out.

Firemind

Keranos is a nice one; $6 is a steal for a mythic that's Modern playable.

Is Brimaz still $20+? I have a feeling white weenie will be a force to be reckoned with post rotation. It may or may not involve Preeminent Captain.

Angry Grimace

Keranos is a nice one; $6 is a steal for a mythic that's Modern playable.

Is Brimaz still $20+? I have a feeling white weenie will be a force to be reckoned with post rotation. It may or may not involve Preeminent Captain.

Its right around 20.

duxstar

Quick answer (on phone)

Erebos
Brimaz
Elspeth
Master of Feasts
Ashiok
Mistcutter Hydra
Stormbreath Dragon
Prophet of Kruphix
Prophetic Flamespeaker
Prognostic Sphinx

I feel like I'm missing a couple but those are a few I could see spiking post rotation. I can give a few comments on why later when I'm not on my phone

Angry Grimace

Prophetic Flamespeaker is a toughie since Sylvan Caryatid pretty much shuts it down single-handedly.

Flamespeaker is a card that would tear faces apart with Sword of Feast and Famine, but otherwise does nothing.

bigkrev

Why is Stoke the Flames 4 tickets on Magic Online?

Mistcutter Hydra is my big spec target for Theros block stuff (will have kitchen table appeal for years, is Standard playable)

ironmang

No idea what I want to play after rotation so any pickups I'd make would be pure value specs. As it stands now, I'm thinking that the Junk Midrange deck everybody was using at the Block PT is going to be the foundation for the deck to beat. Has access to about anything you should need.

OnPoint

No idea what I want to play after rotation so any pickups I'd make would be pure value specs. As it stands now, I'm thinking that the Junk Midrange deck everybody was using at the Block PT is going to be the foundation for the deck to beat. Has access to about anything you should need.

That BUG list looked decent too.

Big One

Banned
I'm a bit new to MTG to forgive me on this, but is it true that once Master of Waves leaves the field, the tokens it summoned leave as well? I'm used to YGO where this isn't a thing and I'm kind of confused on how the rulings on tokens work. If anyone can chime in on this that'd be great.

Also if a card like Master of Waves gets responded to by a removal spell, it doesn't summon tokens? I'm used to in YGO where it doesn't matter if a monster gets responded to in a trap card, that as long as said monster fulfills certain conditions (like "summoned" for example) it could trigger it's effect, unless the summon itself was negated.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm a bit new to MTG to forgive me on this, but is it true that once Master of Waves leaves the field, the tokens it summoned leave as well?
Technically, no. What happens is that since the Elementals are 1/0, and Master gives them +1/+1, the moment he dies, the Elementals lose all their toughness and die as a result. You could only keep them alive if they had additional toughness from some other source.

Also if a card like Master of Waves gets responded to by a removal spell, it doesn't summon tokens? I'm used to in YGO where it doesn't matter if a monster gets responded to in a trap card, that as long as said monster fulfills certain conditions (like "summoned" for example) it could trigger it's effect, unless the summon itself was negated.
Master's ability is an "enter the battlefield" (ETB) effect, one type of Triggered Ability. If it's countered (negated, to use YGO terms) on the stack by something like Dissolve, then it never enters the battlefield and the ETB effect never triggers. Once it hits the field however, that's it, the ability triggers and the only way to stop it is if you counter the ability itself (only a few spells can do this).

Big One

Banned
Technically, no. What happens is that since the Elementals are 1/0, and Master gives them +1/+1, the moment he dies, the Elementals lose all their toughness and die as a result. You could only keep them alive if they had additional toughness from some other source.
Oh I get it now. So pretty much whenever any creature gets 0 defense it dies automatically? I know this works for removal spells, but I never quite got it as I assumed when the tokens entered the battlefield they were 1/0 for a brief moment before becoming 2/1.

The reason why I asked cause I saw a video where someone used Detention Sphere on it, which caused the tokens to disappear. Then when Detention Sphere left the field and Master of Waves come back, he summoned more tokens. Now I'm starting to get it quite more.

And yeah I figured only negating the actual spell would do something like that, but I suppose my confusion lies in how the tokens basically die automatically unless something can boost their attack.

Angry Grimace

I'm a bit new to MTG to forgive me on this, but is it true that once Master of Waves leaves the field, the tokens it summoned leave as well? I'm used to YGO where this isn't a thing and I'm kind of confused on how the rulings on tokens work. If anyone can chime in on this that'd be great.

Example:

Master of Waves has an enters the battlefield effect of creating a certain number of token creatures:

If someone counters the spell that would cause Master of Waves to enter the battlefield, the tokens will not be created because Master of Waves never enters the battlefield since the spell creating it never resolved.

If you successfully cast Master of Waves, the "enters the battlefield" effect is put onto to the stack. If your opponent responds to putting the ability on the stack by putting a removal spell on the stack (say, Doom Blade), and then you don't do anything, the spells resolve from the "top" of the stack to the bottom (think of it like a literal stack of cards). Doom Blade resolves which will kill Master of Waves, and then Master of Waves trigger will create tokens.

The tokens die, but this is simply because they are 1/0 tokens and ANY creature, regardless of being a card or a token, dies when it has 0 toughness. The reason they stay alive when Master of Waves is out is because he has a static ability giving them +1/+1 so they have enough toughness to not die.

If you had another effect which gave the tokens more than 0 toughness (like another Master of Waves already on the battlefield), they wouldn't die just because the Master of Waves that created them died.

Oh I get it now. So pretty much whenever any creature gets 0 defense it dies automatically? I know this works for removal spells, but I never quite got it as I assumed when the tokens entered the battlefield they were 1/0 for a brief moment before becoming 2/1.

The reason why I asked cause I saw a video where someone used Detention Sphere on it, which caused the tokens to disappear. Then when Detention Sphere left the field and Master of Waves come back, he summoned more tokens. Now I'm starting to get it quite more.

And yeah I figured only negating the actual spell would do something like that, but I suppose my confusion lies in how the tokens basically die automatically unless something can boost their attack.

The vast majority of token creatures have more than 0 toughness (defense) on their own and don't die unless something kills them. That's actually something that is specific to Master of Waves. If you look at, say, Raise the Alarm, you see that the tokens stay alive on their own just fine:

Image.ashx

Also, an effect that occurs when something "enters the battlefield" doesn't care how it entered. It just cares that it does.

bigkrev

Something having 0 toughness will die as a state-based effect, which basically means that it's instantanious and can't be responded to (you would need to respond to the effect lowering the toughness to 0). Other examples of state-based effects are loosing the game when your life total becomes zero or less, or a Planeswalker going to the graveyard when it has zero loyalty.

In general, if a card has a enter the battlefield effect, it triggers no matter how it enters the battlefield. Cards that function differently will say so, like Riever Demon
Image.ashx

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Yeah, as others have mentioned they only stay alive because the Master of Waves boosts them. Normally checking for 0 toughness happens instantaneously, you can't react to it at all. But, a bit counterintuitively given how much Magic is based on discrete actions, you can have simultaneous effects, and the tokens enter the battlefield at the exact same time as the boost takes effect

ElyrionX

Is MTGO cheaper to play than the paper game? I need to find a covenient way to play at home on the days when I can't make it down to the LGS but I'm not sure it makes sense to spend a bunch of money to duplicate the decks I already own IRL.

Is MTGO cheaper to play than the paper game? I need to find a covenient way to play at home on the days when I can't make it down to the LGS but I'm not sure it makes sense to spend a bunch of money to duplicate the decks I already own IRL.

It can be, certainly. Money cards are usually marginally cheaper than paper. Chaff rares are much cheaper than paper. If you draft well, that can be really cheap too. Not sure how well constructed pays out though.

suffah

Does maths and stuff

Most decks are significantly cheaper. Check www.mtggoldfish.com for mtgo/paper prices.

While it does hurt to duplicate decks the convenience of being able to play everyday consistently is great. Also, I love not having to get more than 4 of any card for decks that run the same cards. (Too lazy to swap cards with paper decks).

I only play legacy but just built Melira Pod online to break into that format. If anyone wants to get some games in (Legacy or Modern) add me on mtgo.

Angry Grimace

There's always the weird card here and there that's more expensive online for no real reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom