• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They weren't so great at handling new players back then.

God damn, Onslaught was over 10 years ago.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Let's be honest guys - they didn't get Morph right until Time Spiral block.

As much as I understand how flawed Time Spiral was as a block, I do love it so. Some of the best and many of the most interesting Slivers, Planar Chaos was cool even if people didn't really get it, Future Sight is Future Sight, and yeah, Morph was pretty awesome. And it had Suspend, probably tied with Landfall for my favorite mechanic of all time, even if we aren't likely to see it again

ElyrionX

Allied untapped lands in Set 1 are incredibly likely, imo.

I'm betting on Onslaught Fetchlands, feeding into the MM2 release in terms of increasing Modern accessibility.

If just allied fetches are reprinted, it wouldn't make the format more accessible since the enemy fetches would still be required for Modern decks and those would likely still remain expensive.

kirblar

If just allied fetches are reprinted, it wouldn't make the format more accessible since the enemy fetches would still be required for Modern decks and those would likely still remain expensive.
The prices would go down - they're substitutes in many decks.

Kerrinck

Don't forget "morph creature that is better when morphed."

Oj05EDp.jpg

Damn card brings back so many bad Momir memories along with Phage and Leveler.
Shame they completely killed the format by letting all events be premier only,

Kerrinck

Would off-color fetchlands still be used anyway since they're so good?

I assume it would be like legacy where you would use your main color fetches and a few of the rest if necessary. Something like Jund would use the full set of G/B fetchland and a couple of RG and BR ones.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Flooded Strand and Polluted Delta would substitute extremely well in most decks.

Kerrinck

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";125293115]Greater Gargadon is in modern.[/QUOTE]

There's that weird/awesome Restore Balance deck in Modern that uses 4 of them.
And definitely agree with Suspend being fantastic. Time Spiral was definitely one of my favorite editions, so many little nods to older cards and mechanics.

ElyrionX

So basically assuming allied fetches are reprinted, two things would happen in Modern:

1. Decks that are using enemy fetches as substitutes would start replacing those with the allied fetches.

2. Decks where enemy fetches are a natural fit could potentially use allied fetches as substitutes if enemy fetches stay expensive and players don't want to pony up for them.

So the net effect is that the Zendikar enemy fetches are going down in price regardless of what kind of fetches are reprinted? Is that right?

There's that weird/awesome Restore Balance deck in Modern that uses 4 of them.
And definitely agree with Suspend being fantastic. Time Spiral was definitely one of my favorite editions, so many little nods to older cards and mechanics.

The Limited environment is really sweet. It's like going to a Magic buffet.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So basically assuming allied fetches are reprinted, two things would happen in Modern:

1. Decks that are using enemy fetches as substitutes would start replacing those with the allied fetches.

2. Decks where enemy fetches are a natural fit could potentially use allied fetches as substitutes if enemy fetches stay expensive and players don't want to pony up for them.

So the net effect is that the Zendikar enemy fetches are going down in price regardless of what kind of fetches are reprinted? Is that right?

This is all assuming Wizards makes fetch happen.

ElyrionX

This is all assuming Wizards makes fetch happen.

My problem with this is that they don't provide enough lead-time. If I know for certain that fetches are happening in M16 and not Khans, I'd have no problem ponying up for fetches now. But I don't want to buy fetches now only to see them get massively devalued in one month or less.

If fetches are not reprinted in Khans and we do get some sort of allied untapped lands in that set, would it be safe to assume that fetches would be off the table until M16 at least?

ultron87

If they aren't in Khans I think the next reasonable time for them to get printed is Modern Masters 2, presumably right before M16.

So, I already know what the advice will be on this deck (ditch 4 gods, put in 4x Raise the Alarm), but I'd like input on this brew I just whipped up tonight. It's so far held its own against mono-blue and red aggro. Gonna test it against Jund Walkers, UW Control, and Mono Black tomorrow.

4x Soldier of the Pantheon
4x Precinct Captain
4x Boros Reckoner
4x Goblin Rabblemaster
3x Brimaz, King of Oreskos
2x Purphoros, God of the Forge
2x Heliod, God of the Sun
2x Iroas, God of Victory

1x Ajani Steadfast
2x Spear of Heliod
4x Brave the Elements
4x Boros Charm

4x Sacred Foundry
4x Temple of Triumph
3x Battle Forge
1x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
2x Mountain
10x Plains

Purphoros is in for the 2 damage pings for all of the tokens that ETB. Heliod is in because he can make token creatures and is the easiest to turn on with this deck. Iroas is in because he makes the potential cost of turning sideways every turn a little less and has a chance at getting turned on. The rest is all just attack and make tokens. The only things Brave the Elements doesn't hit are the goblins.

I stumbled onto a rinky-dink little comic shop in Seattle and found an Unlimited Mox Emerald in near-mint condition for $600. Figuring that in a worst-case scenario I could get at least that much on ebay for it, I scooped it up. Hoping I'll be able to sit on it for a while as it appreciates.

I've been thinking about Magic cards as an investment vehicle in a well-diversified portfolio and I think it could really be lucrative. Anyone who knows how the game works basically has inside information to determine which cards are going to shoot up in value. I mean, for example, pretty much any Planeswalker duel deck set is going to appreciate by 50-100% within a year or two of it going out of print. That's a damn good ROI and beats the market by a good bit.

ElyrionX

I stumbled onto a rinky-dink little comic shop in Seattle and found an Unlimited Mox Emerald in near-mint condition for $600. Figuring that in a worst-case scenario I could get at least that much on ebay for it, I scooped it up. Hoping I'll be able to sit on it for a while as it appreciates.

I've been thinking about Magic cards as an investment vehicle in a well-diversified portfolio and I think it could really be lucrative. Anyone who knows how the game works basically has inside information to determine which cards are going to shoot up in value. I mean, for example, pretty much any Planeswalker duel deck set is going to appreciate by 50-100% within a year or two of it going out of print. That's a damn good ROI and beats the market by a good bit.

Too illiquid and investment amounts are too small.

Apart from that, the value of your investment rests on the popularity of an ongoing game that sees changes made on a quarterly basis by a company that clearly is not very well-managed.

lupin23rd

Is there a good source for foreign black border basic land (I'm talking revised or 4th edition FBB, preferably Japanese) or am I just going to have to scour Ebay or Yahoo Auctions (Japan) to find some lots of them?

Also I don't suppose there is a reprint of the original basic land art in the new card style, is there? Preferably with the text on it? (wishful thinking I'm sure)

So they've already done:
-When unmorphed do X
-Morph on non-creature permanents
-Morphs that can turn themselves or others back down and/or face up multiple times
-Creatures with quirky/saboteur combat abilities (so their identity being unknown makes blocking super awkward for the opponent)
-Split mana costs over turns so that the equivalent of X+ drops in power level can begin swinging on turn X-Y
-Creatures with negative static effects that aren't in effect when morphed

Aside from fiddling with the mana costs and P/T ratios to bring the new creatures up to Modern standards, what design space is out there to explore? I'm kind of expecting Dual Lands with Morph (a continuation of what Zoetic Cavern started).

Morph cost is actually a boon (i.e. Morph-draw a card)

There's still plenty of space left in turned face-up/face down triggers. You could push a multicolored feel by having an off-color morph cost on a mono colored creature (with out-of-flavor-for-the-base-color trigger)

Cards like Muraganda Petroglyphs would help a bunch of face-down creatures.

So, did ok in draft tonight at the local store. Got 2 packs as my prize. First pack had a Nissa, second pack had an Ajani. More value than first places 8 packs by miles.

OnPoint

So for my birthday, as part of my gift, my GF gave me a pack of M15. I noted it was a little strange to open, it felt like the packs did pre-RTR to open. But whatever. So I get to the rare and I'm like "Sweet, Polymorphist's Jest, I like that card!" and then right after it is a foil Nissa. I was like "Whoa, holy shit".

I look over at my GF who doesn't even feign surprise or excitement. She just about dead pans "Oh cool". So I'm like, "Did you know this was in here somehow?" She didn't even bother trying to sell me on it being real lol She resealed the pack with the card inside, which apparently took a ton of effort. And it was actually pretty believeable. Was a really nice thought and exciting to open even if it wasn't real.

So note to any of you if you do that in the future. One, open and reseal the bottom of the pack so the person doesn't get tipped off. Two, be prepared to sell it better than she did lol

Spoilers from GenCon. It looks like the Mardu mechanic is Raid.

So a sort of bloodthirst except with ETB abilities instead of +1/+1 counters? I can dig it.
Thousand Winds is also pretty neat. Geralf is a great card too, and I sort of like how serious he looks compared to his sister.

Raid is...okay, I guess? Its functional, I suppose but its yet another in a long line of "if you attack, a good thing happens"

Nothing wrong with that. According to Maro, one of the most difficult things to get new players to willingly do is simply attacking, since they tend to prefer turtling up. Even with Eldrazi, unskilled players in playtests would only block with them, which is why Ulamog's Crusher attacks each turn if able.

Firemind

Hushwing Gryff to rise in value.

PS. reprint pillage plox (shut up, armchair cardgame designers; pillage is totally a mardu thing.)

I wanna see crazy morph variants that make you second guess what card is face down.

Morph Trigger (You may cast this face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. When it becomes the target of a spell or ability your opponents control, turn it face up.)

When XXXX is turned face up, counter target spell or ability.

Morph Jutsu (You may cast this face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Whenever this creature attacks and isn't blocked, you may turn it face up.)

When XXXX deals combat damage to an opponent, that player discards two cards.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";125370017]I wanna see crazy morph variants that make you second guess what card is face down.

Morph Trigger (You may cast this face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. When it becomes the target of a spell or ability your opponents control, turn it face up.)

When XXXX is turned face up, counter target spell or ability.
[/QUOTE]

Doesn't need a keyword, but it would be a nice elegant design either way

Morph 2U

Whenever you become target of a spell or ability, you may unmorph cardname without paying its morph cost. If you do, counter that spell or ability

Too illiquid and investment amounts are too small.

Apart from that, the value of your investment rests on the popularity of an ongoing game that sees changes made on a quarterly basis by a company that clearly is not very well-managed.

Great points for sure. Still I wonder if there might be something to it. The WOTC risk can be diversified away and a lot of risk goes away by knowing the game; illiquidity is the real problem I think. The amounts I don't think are a huge issue if it's just part of a bigger portfolio.

More art.

Elephant castle chariot (Abzan)

Woolly mammoth Loxodon (Temur)

Tarkir's goblin design (Mardu)

Black leopard rakshasa. Looks neat, but as an Indian, I'll be disappointed if they make an Indian block and don't have rakshasas that are just guys with curly mustaches. Glad to see that they still have the gold jewelry and staffs, though. (Surtai)

Grey-like djinn (Jeskai)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom