• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grakl

Conspiracy is awesome. What I consistently do is draft like three conspiracies that have me name a card to benefit, and then draft a bunch of an underpowered card that no-one else wants. When I did it two weeks ago I drafted five copies of Syphon Soul and the conspiracies so that it cost 1 less, was doubled, and drew me a card. Suddenly five copies of a 1B spell that does 4 damage to everyone, gains me that much life, and draws me a card is really good.

That's pretty fun. I never really drafted the conspiracies themselves, other than one that made my wolves able to tap for mana. Wish I could draft conspiracy more -- nobody around here wants to play it, it seems.

Me and Christine Sprankle at GP Portland. I am inspired to cosplay as a planeswalker at the next big tournament near where I live. Right now Sorin is the leading contender. I'd do Garruk if I were more buff. Hmm...

ywa8j8O.jpg

That's pretty fun. I never really drafted the conspiracies themselves, other than one that made my wolves able to tap for mana. Wish I could draft conspiracy more -- nobody around here wants to play it, it seems.

I did one just last weekend in fact.

I had the Double Stroke conspiracy naming "Smallpox." Sometimes I do just like to watch the world burn.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Me and Christine Sprankle at GP Portland. I am inspired to cosplay as a planeswalker at the next big tournament near where I live. Right now Sorin is the leading contender. I'd do Garruk if I were more buff. Hmm...

ywa8j8O.jpg

You should have hoverhanded for maximum nerdage.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Would only be maximum if he was cosplaying as bg garruk.

ElyrionX, where you at?

6-0 at Game Day, 12-0 in games with Esper Control ^_^

My opponents:
  1. Mono Black
  2. Dega Midrange
  3. Rakdos Aggro
  4. Mono Blue
  5. Naya Hexproof
  6. RW Burn

Foiled out my three AEtherspouts in celebration :3

Standard is infinitely better than block constructed though. Hell, I'd rather they put on a Legacy PT than a Block Constructed one. (I am not a fan of Legacy)

How can you like Vintage and not Legacy?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

First time I ever drafted Conspiracy I took the one that turned creatures into Birds of Paradise and used it as an excuse to run three copies of Pillarfield Ox

it actually wasn't bad

ironmang

For you guys that have been to SCG invitationals, do they run side events on Friday? Friend just top 8'd this weekend so he's going and will handle all reservations and such but I'm not sure I'd want to spend all Thursday evening and Friday there if I'm going to be sitting around waiting for the Opens to start.

Website shows a 2HG (not interested at all) and a standard trial that starts at 6pm on Friday. Has 8mans under the "weekend long" list but not sure if that includes Friday or if they even fire.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";124764182]ElyrionX, where you at?

My opponents:
  1. Mono Black
  2. Dega Midrange
  3. Rakdos Aggro
  4. Mono Blue
  5. Naya Hexproof
  6. RW Burn

How can you like Vintage and not Legacy?[/QUOTE]

Necropotence isn't legal in Legacy.

Vintage and Legacy are nothing alike, btw.

kirblar

For you guys that have been to SCG invitationals, do they run side events on Friday? Friend just top 8'd this weekend so he's going and will handle all reservations and such but I'm not sure I'd want to spend all Thursday evening and Friday there if I'm going to be sitting around waiting for the Opens to start.

Website shows a 2HG (not interested at all) and a standard trial that starts at 6pm on Friday. Has 8mans under the "weekend long" list but not sure if that includes Friday or if they even fire.
Oh, INVIS, yeah, side events on Fridays, not a problem, but its slow until the evening, I think. I should be at Jersey, barring any issues.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";124766192]Obviously, but they're both super high power level. I've just never heard anyone say that.[/QUOTE]

If I'm going to play degenerate combo decks, I want to do it with Yawgmoth's Will.

I was bored so I read the first 300 or so chapters of Yugioh. Coming from a magic player, this shit is crazy. Maindeck fogs, playing monsters on your opponent's turn, holding up triple negate every match, insane EDH-style nut draw combos.

I do like face-down cards. Adds a lot of tension.

If I'm going to play degenerate combo decks, I want to do it with Yawgmoth's Will.

That's fair lol

ultron87

Got my Garruk's Axe today. It came in a comically large shipping box. The display box for the cards is pretty cool and looks alright on a shelf, but I should probably just sell these and buy half of a Modern deck.

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";124764182]ElyrionX, where you at?

My opponents:
  1. Mono Black
  2. Dega Midrange
  3. Rakdos Aggro
  4. Mono Blue
  5. Naya Hexproof
  6. RW Burn

How can you like Vintage and not Legacy?[/QUOTE]

Congrats on winning Game Day! This was done with the decklist you posted previously? Looks like I might have to give it a shot lmao.

I missed Game Day because I couldn't get away from some other commitments :(

Anyway, I brewed up a UW Midrange deck with a control shell over the weekend with main deck Nyx Fleece, Archangel of Thune, Elspeth, Aetherling and Aetherspouts. Going to test it tonight at MNM. I suspect it's going to be a complete disaster lol.

Played in three Game Days over the course of the weekend. On Saturday afternoon, I played Jund Walkers and 1-1-1 dropped. Got ran out by a BUG Walkers deck round one, then tied out with a scrub black deck because he was dropping 4cmc threats and I had a hand full of Abrupt Decay.

Totday, I brought BW Midrange and went undefeated on the day. The lowlight of the entire 6.5 hour 4-round tournament was the UW Floch vs. Esper Control mirror in the semis that took 1 hour and 45 minutes. It was like watching snails race. The UW won it out. He beat me in game 1 even though I was on the play. I then sided into total hand destruction. In games 2 & 3 he stared down 4 Thoughtseize, 3 Duress, 3 Lifebane Zombie, 2 Sin Collector, and 2 Liliana. I basically spent the first 5 turns curating his hand. He was a totally good sport about it and it was interest because I thought I was dead in the water against him.

I went to a 6pm Game Day tonight and there was a Naya Hexproof deck that just abused everybody. I went back to the Jund Walkers and had to face him in round 1 and in the semifinals. I had no idea what he was playing in round 1 so I just face planted. In the semis I played perfectly against him and still lost 0-2. He was just one threat after another and I never managed to drawn non-targeting removal.

I really really like the Jund Walkers deck. I just need to get the removal suite right.

ElyrionX

Totday, I brought BW Midrange and went undefeated on the day. The lowlight of the entire 6.5 hour 4-round tournament was the UW Floch vs. Esper Control mirror in the semis that took 1 hour and 45 minutes. It was like watching snails race. The UW won it out.

Lol. I played Esper Control against UW Floch last week. We didn't even finish game 1 within the 50 minutes.

But that match did result in me pulling off the best play I've ever made thus far; resolving an Aetherling. At one point, I had one Dissolve and an Aetherling in hand. I counted 30 cards in his graveyard, hand and board combined with no Dissolve anywhere to be seen and 2 Syncopates in the graveyard. I figured that it was probable he had two Dissolve in hand so I held back on the Aetherling.

Couple of turns later, he had two Dissolve and two Syncopates in the graveyard and I had two Dissolve and an Aetherling in hand. I figured that he probably had two more Dissolves and no other counter cards in his deck so I casted Aetherling and countered both of his Dissolves which saw Aetherling hit the board. It felt really good.

Too bad, I didn't manage to win in time. Though he was constantly Sphinxing and with no Elixir in my deck, I'm not sure I would have been able to kill him before I milled myself to death.

I went to a 6pm Game Day tonight and there was a Naya Hexproof deck that just abused everybody.
My Hexproof opponent looked like he was actually going to break down after my second AEtherspouts when I had two rams and two BBV out. "He let me resolve my spells! No supreme verdict! I might have a chOHWHATTHEFUCK"

Lol. I played Esper Control against UW Floch last week. We didn't even finish game 1 within the 50 minutes.
I want to play Ram in that match so bad lol

ElyrionX

bigkrev

Am I the only one who can't view the Wizards site on my iPad since the redesign? The right size of all pages get cut off and I can't scroll to it unless I pull out the menu on the left side which would squish the reading pane. It happens on both Safari and iCab.

No, it's the same for me, but now that it updates when i'm at work instead of at Midnight, i'm normally checking it on a PC so it's not that big an issue to me

ElyrionX

No, it's the same for me, but now that it updates when i'm at work instead of at Midnight, i'm normally checking it on a PC so it's not that big an issue to me

I tried googling the issue but no one seems to have it so I thought it was just me. I mean how utterly incompetent can they be that their new website does not work on a goddamn iPad two months after it was unveiled.

Angry Grimace

*reads Chapin's article*
*stream of expletives*

(I have an article/post on the same subject in the pipeline.)

...you're telling me there are articles about Magic cards you have to pay for?

There's a horrifying conflict between my johnny combo player side and my dark yugi spike side.

I stayed up all night making three different brews for modern:

• dredge miracles
  • pyromancer reanimator
  • phyrexian dreadnaught combo

But I just can't bear to sleeve them up until I figure out a path to victory against at least twin, affinity, GBx and pod and the hate cards in their sideboards.

Also, all the cards I like are either banned or never printed in modern legal sets. Like Dread Return and Psychatog.

Angry Grimace

I saw an interesting post from a guy who had talked to Aaron Forsythe about Modern, and basically the reason they originally omitted modern from the PT was because the format was "stale." Apparently this was because they don't think there's enough representation of different types of decks, e.g. a lot of combo decks.

I think I can kind of understand why Wizards wouldn't want a lot of combo decks on camera.

I basically freeroll it via SCG freebies.

MM2 - they wouldn't reprint it in Standard, they'd take out the regen clause.

Off course.

Just summarize it, because I can't read it.

Crocodile

I saw an interesting post from a guy who had talked to Aaron Forsythe about Modern, and basically the reason they originally omitted modern from the PT was because the format was "stale." Apparently this was because they don't think there's enough representation of different types of decks, e.g. a lot of combo decks.

I think I can kind of understand why Wizards wouldn't want a lot of combo decks on camera.

It's a non-rotating format. What did WOTC expect? Unless they just want to ban a card whenever it becomes good which seems like a good way to piss off your player base :p

Also Birthing Pod has to be the best tutor effect they've printed in the last decade. I know Modern wasn't a format when that card was made but they should have seen this coming considering the ban list and Modern card pool.

He thinks Standard's going to start being a continuous rotation as well.

My concerns are

A) It will reduce the time cards are legal in Standard which will inherently reduce the value of a lot of cards. Is the trade off of allegedly more diversity worth it?

B) Cards within a block are usually made to play with each other (more so than cards across blocks). Removing a single set can gut decks based around Block themes entirely. Is that good? Is that ok? I'm unsure :/

Then again, quicker rotations may mean cards drop in price quicker and its easier for me to get them for other formats if I don't open them in limited or what not

OnPoint

It's a non-rotating format. What did WOTC expect? Unless they just want to ban a card whenever it becomes good which seems like a good way to piss off your player base :p

Also Birthing Pod has to be the best tutor effect they've printed in the last decade. I know Modern wasn't a format when that card was made but they should have seen this coming considering the ban list and Modern card pool.

A lot of people calling for a Pod ban, and I don't agree. I think Pod only enables one kind of deck with only a few variants, and it's easy enough to hate out if it gets too oppressive. If it starts to really find its way around the hate, then sure, but plenty of archetypes in Modern play the deck well.

I'm not saying the card isn't absolutely filthy, but it's beatable.

Angry Grimace

My concerns are

A) It will reduce the time cards are legal in Standard which will inherently reduce the value of a lot of cards. Is the trade off of allegedly more diversity worth it?

B) Cards within a block are usually made to play with each other (more so than cards across blocks). Removing a single set can gut decks based around Block themes entirely. Is that good? Is that ok? I'm unsure :/

Then again, quicker rotations may mean cards drop in price quicker and its easier for me to get them for other formats if I don't open them in limited or what not

It wouldn't reduce the time cards are legal within Standard at all. If they went to an 8-set setup now, when Khans released, Gatecrash and Dragon's Maze would still be legal for until Dewey and Louie respectively. It would also mean Mutavault until 2015 (which is why I don't see it happening). If they really were going to do it, I imagine they'd rotate cards like usual and then announce its going to happen in the next year.

Hero

If they move to the most event 8 sets won't that actually benefit the life cycle of cards? Currently the third set and m201x sets get the least amount of standard life but if they only rotated out when the second next third set or m set came out that's be longer.

bigkrev

A core set every other year (do a draftable product like Conspiracy the other years) would make sense in that new format, so only 1 was legal at a time. Otherwise, they either need to reprint the same cards over and over, or be happy with "reduntant" cards for a longer time (like Searing Spear and Lightning Strike, Elvish Mystic and Arbor Elf, ect).

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";124833098]There's a horrifying conflict between my johnny combo player side and my dark yugi spike side.

I stayed up all night making three different brews for modern:

• dredge miracles
  • pyromancer reanimator
  • phyrexian dreadnaught combo

But I just can't bear to sleeve them up until I figure out a path to victory against at least twin, affinity, GBx and pod and the hate cards in their sideboards.

Also, all the cards I like are either banned or never printed in modern legal sets. Like Dread Return and Psychatog.[/QUOTE]

Just starting to really get into modern now, and my friend is interested in a deck utilizing Phyrexian Dreadnaught, but I don't think he had a combo for it in mind just a deck with a lot of hate to open the way for it. What combos with it (sry if n00b question). This past week I've finally put together the faeries deck I was planning to make since last year, doesn't hurt that Bitterblossom is unbanned now!

Angry Grimace

Just starting to really get into modern now, and my friend is interested in a deck utilizing Phyrexian Dreadnaught, but I don't think he had a combo for it in mind just a deck with a lot of hate to open the way for it. What combos with it (sry if n00b question). This past week I've finally put together the faeries deck I was planning to make since last year, doesn't hurt that Bitterblossom is unbanned now!

I'm really really confused. Phyrexian Dreadnought is totally not modern legal; I just assumed GB's post was a typo.

I got confused and my friend is trying to use Crusader and not Dreadnaught, ugh my bad guys. Yeah Dreadnaught's definitely not in Modern haha

Firemind

Oh so like an infect deck.

You can find those at mtgdecks.net under Modern.

Phyrexian Crusader is a bit too expensive I'm afraid.

Phyrexian Dreadnought combos with Stifle, but it's not Modern legal.

Why did I think it was? -_- That's why you don't build decks at 2AM.

It also combos with Torpor Orb and Hushwing Gryff, which were my combo pieces since it turns on my deck and off other people's. It was that and a bunch of explosive mana generation to get the pieces out on turn one, disruption to protect the combo and boros charms to end the game turn two.

Yeef

A core set every other year (do a draftable product like Conspiracy the other years) would make sense in that new format, so only 1 was legal at a time. Otherwise, they either need to reprint the same cards over and over, or be happy with "reduntant" cards for a longer time (like Searing Spear and Lightning Strike, Elvish Mystic and Arbor Elf, ect).
I don't see them reverting the core sets back to biennially. They're tied too closely to the Duels games, and act as the bridge between that and the full game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom