• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Its probably not just me that goes "ugh" every time I see a mythic rarity symbol on a card with a 6+ CMC.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
More playable rares > playable mythics.

I suppose, but so far all of those cards are just utility cards you expect in every set - Wrath effect, instant removal, dual lands.

kirblar

I'm not really familiar with designer pedigrees, what does Lauer tend to do?

When I think of RTR I just think of really nutty spikes in power from certain (blue) cards.
Lauer sets: Innistrad (Snapcaster not his fault though), RTR, Theros. Can't look up the others- but he pushes a high maintained power level across rares.

bigkrev

You don't think going turn one mana dork into turn two stone rain isn't a big deal?

And who mentioned modern? I specifically said standard and limited.

Stone Rain was legal in Standard until 2007. It was NEVER a "playable" card outside of super rouge decks

Angry Grimace

Stone Rain was legal in Standard until 2007. It was NEVER a "playable" card outside of super rouge decks

It occupies the same space as Maze's End for me - an annoying card that nobody really wants to play against, but not really good enough to be legit playable outside of durdly rogue decks.

Didn't Aaron Forsythe win a Pro Tour or something with Angry Hermit, a red/green deck that had mana dorks and stuff like Stone Rain, Avalanche Riders, and Plow Under? I think that was in standard at the time.

But yeah, Stone Rain probably wouldn't be playable now

OnPoint

I just had a thought. "Louie" (probably Dragons of Tarkir) probably won't have a wedge theme, but I'm guessing it will have five legendary wedge colored dragons named after the clans (or rather, the source of the clan names). The flavor of morph on Tarkir is that it's dragon magic, so I'll guess even further that these legendary dragons will have morph.

My guess on the lands is that since they changed the past, the Zendikar fetches come in and "replace" the Onslaught fetches.

Angry Grimace

My guess on the lands is that since they changed the past, the Zendikar fetches come in and "replace" the Onslaught fetches.

Instead of being fetchlands, they have transformed into "Underground Sea," "Taiga," "Savannah," "Badlands," and "Tundra."

Also, they changed the past so the Reserved List never happened.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That's the next plotline probably. Teferi and Sorin go back in time to find Karn, wind up changing multiplanar history and bringing back ancient magics like Force of Will.

Angry Grimace

That's the next plotline probably. Teferi and Sorin go back in time to find Karn, wind up changing multiplanar history and bringing back ancient magics like Force of Will.

As someone who likes Force of Will, I don't see them ever bringing Force of Will back in a product that isn't FTV.

MjFrancis

If Rabblemaster hits Courser prices I'll just sell mine rather than build around it. I don't play Standard enough to justify keeping a playset around, but the new Mardu Goblin deck is just building itself here. Hard not to jump on board.

OnPoint

So incredibly unlikely. But would be so incredibly awesome.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So, I'm thinking about getting into Magic again, but my decision will rely somewhat on whether my friends like it. Is there a cheap way to show my friends how the game plays? All of my cards are pretty dated (most recent is around M10) -- I know there is starter decks, but I thought Wizards also made decks that were fun to play against each other (and thus a good way to show people how the current game is played)?

ultron87

So, I'm thinking about getting into Magic again, but my decision will rely somewhat on whether my friends like it. Is there a cheap way to show my friends how the game plays? All of my cards are pretty dated (most recent is around M10) -- I know there is starter decks, but I thought Wizards also made decks that were fun to play against each other (and thus a good way to show people how the current game is played)?

The Clash Pack should be a good way to start if you just want to 1v1 them. Comes with two decks that are more powerful than an intro deck and are designed to play against each other. Also the cards are all Standard legal if you wanted to pivot into playing at a shop.

There are also the various Duel Deck products, but those have cards from all over the place so you can't play them in Standard. Also they are a little less powerful and consistent, generally.

Shrennin

The Clash Pack could be a good way to start if you just want to 1v1 them. Comes with two decks that are more powerful than an intro deck and are designed to play against each other. Also the cards are all Standard legal if you wanted to pivot into playing at a shop.

There are also the various Duel Deck products, but those have cards from all over the place so you can't play them in Standard. Also they are a little less powerful and consistent, generally.

Thanks! I think I'll give the Clash Packs a try. I'm actually quite near Star City Games, so that would be the place we would go to play tournaments, drafts, and the like. My plan was to introduce them to the game, and if they liked it then suggest participating in pre-release/release drafts (and tournaments in general depending on how much they got into it). Magic was always my WoW as far as my inability to get away from it. >_>

I thought I heard about the Clash Packs from that Day[9] show where he plays Magic against various internet celebrities or Magic pros, but I wasn't sure if that was an actual thing or if it was something they made.

kirblar

The Clash Pack should be a good way to start if you just want to 1v1 them. Comes with two decks that are more powerful than an intro deck and are designed to play against each other. Also the cards are all Standard legal if you wanted to pivot into playing at a shop.

Also, if you need coursers, just buy 4 Clash Packs for as cheap as you can.

Shrennin

Also, if you need coursers, just buy 4 Clash Packs for as cheap as you can.

Coursers? My terminology in Magic has become pretty limited, so do you mean like if I wanted to show my friends the aspects of the different colors (by buying 4 clash packs, I would have access to all the colors in a well-made premade deck)?

Lucario

Coursers? My terminology in Magic has become pretty limited, so do you mean like if I wanted to show my friends the aspects of the different colors (by buying 4 clash packs, I would have access to all the colors in a well-made premade deck)?

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=courser+of+kruphix

It's likely the strongest card in Standard. If you plan on playing competitively, you want to pick up 4. If you just want to learn the game with friends, you don't need them.

Four clash packs would not give you access to all five colors. One of the decks is blue/green, the other is green/red.

Shrennin

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=courser+of+kruphix

It's likely the strongest card in Standard. If you plan on playing competitively, you want to pick up 4. If you just want to learn the game with friends, you don't need them.

Four clash packs would not give you access to all five colors. One of the decks is blue/green, the other is green/red.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00KXY3NS4/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

They've got em for slightly under MSRP on Amazon right now at 23.22.

Courser is currently 16.72 on MTGPrice's listing. That means you get the other bunch of (good) cards that includes a set of Temple of Mystery Prognostic Sphinxes, Prophet of Kruphix, Nykthos, and Genesis Hydra for 6.50 per pack.

Oh, wow. The Courser is pretty insane. Anyway, I may end up just buying them from SCG if I need them soon, but I'll keep Amazon's price in mind.

Green is also my favorite color, so I'm pretty psyched that the Courser looks like it's probably a Green staple.

Lucario

wingmateroc.jpg

broodmate burd

Angry Grimace

Uh, this guy is good. If he doesn't feel mythic, that's one thing, but that is a pretty good card.

It's because its overpowered as fuck in limited.

Its just not a very splashy feeling effect. I'm not saying its an underpowered card at all. 6 power in the air plus the potential of stupid levels of lifegain (especially if you used something like Sorin) is not bad in any way.

Angry Grimace

Are we going to get Relentless Assault as a Mardu card? I feel like that would be a flavorbomb.

y2dvd

Wingmate can be top of the curb in some W/B midrange life gain deck I can see. That's essentially a 6/8 flier at 5cmc.

Won both drafts a my LGS again.

First draft: Mono-black deck with two maindeck festerglooms and splashing a Cone of Flame. Double Paragon realy made my Children of Night awesome. Three Covenant of Blood didn't hurt either.

Second draft: Rakdos again, this time with a red base. Got double Nightfire Giant and all the great removal, including another Cone of Flame and a Stab Wound. Unfortunately I wound up slightly 5-drop heavy for my tastes, but I managed to fight through it.

ElyrionX

Uh, this guy is good. If he doesn't feel mythic, that's one thing, but that is a pretty good card.

It's a conditional 5cmc 6/8 flier with a conditional lifelink trigger. At 5cmc, it gets played only after a boardwipe (assuming we do get a 4cmc wipe in KTK) can get played which renders both of its abilities pretty useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom