• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Response - Interesting effect
Geist of the Moors - It feels like it's been a while since we've seen an in-universe original poem on a card.
Oppresive Rays - Surprised to see this reprinted already, and I'm surprised to not see Pacifism.
Oreskos Swiftclaw - Surprised to see reprinted already, and still with Theriad flavor text.
Pillar of Light - Toughness? That's weird.
Sanctified Charge - I don't really see the benefit of printing this instead of including Inspired Charge in M15 proper, as opposed to it being one of the extra cards.
Amphin Pathmage - Really surprised to see amphins return. Though it's still only one creature... though at least it's not a vanilla creature this time.
Diffusion Sliver - Bleh, humanoid sliver. Nice effect, though.
Dissipate - And that's the Cancel replacement for this set. I'm sure a lot of people are glad to see this back.
Glacial Crasher - Uh, OK. Weird to see a creature that cares about an enemy color land, and it's the only one in the entire set.
Invisibility - Nice reprint, though nowadays, a card with this name would also have hexproof.
Polymorphist's Jest - I definitely prefer this sort of temporary effect in blue over things like Curse of the Swine.
Statute of Denial - lol @ people who wanted Remand or Dismiss. Nicely timed flavor text, though.
Turn to Frog - To teach people at work and such, I've actually been working on beginner sets in each color (splashing an ally), and I've been wanting this card in my blue deck. The "base power and toughness" part should definitely help clear things up when it comes to auras and equipment and such.
Belligerant Sliver - Now I am OK with this sliver design.
Crowd's Favor - I love the flavor of you being tapped out, but then one of your creatures just hands one of your attackers a spear for the win.
Hammerhand - Am I wrong in thinking this is actually a pretty decent aura?
Back to Nature - Oh wow, I really did not expect this reprint in this environment. Well, there goes any chance of Constellation decks being a thing.
Netcaster Spider - This seems pretty strong.
Satyr Wayfinder - Also surprised to see this reprinted so soon.
Venom Sliver - Sadako Sliver. This seems really strong, but again, eh humanoid sliver.
Bronze Sable - Again surprised to see this reprint, especially still with Theriad flavor text.
Juggernaut - Woah, new art! Looks neat, though I kind of like the M11 art more.
Ornithopter - Surprised to see flavor text referencing Conspiracy. But I suppose it does make sense to reference the DaVinci character here.
Rogue's Gloves - Dat alliteration.

You know... there really aren't that many walls in this set. That's weird, given all the wall interaction cards.
My first impression is that green is probably the strongest in Limited and black looks to be the weakest.
Also, I was expecting not many regeneration cards, but I'm surprised that there are exactly two (Necrobite and Ancient Silverback).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
EN_do7chwdtad.png

2 mana instant? This will see play in pretty much all formats.

EDIT: Oh it's a reprint, ok then.

Firemind

No Essence Scatter. No Shock. No Birds of Paradise. A blue creature with trample. Interesting.

Slivers still ugly as hell. They're like the Alien humanoid in Alien Resurrection. Yuck.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
But I know own 4 Force of Wills and 4 Scrublands!!!!

Now, I just got to get two more Volcanics and 2 more Undergrounds and 4 Tundras and my personal collection is complete. Well, besides Bobs and Goyf, but lol at those prices

rexor0717

You know... there really aren't that many walls in this set. That's weird, given all the wall interaction cards.
My first impression is that green is probably the strongest in Limited and black looks to be the weakest.
Also, I was expecting not many regeneration cards, but I'm surprised that there are exactly two (Necrobite and Ancient Silverback).
Maybe there will be a Great Wall in the Khans block.

Yeef

There's only two cards that specifically mention walls and bother are for flavor reasons; and one is a reprint. (Siege Dragon and Invisibility). Clear a path might be a plant, but I think it's more likely that it's just thrown in there as a [bad] way for red to deal with annoying blockers when closing out limited games.

sammich

Im probably missing something obvious, but how does convoke help Crowd's favour in any way/there no X so what the heck does convoke do for the spell?

WanderingWind

Im probably missing something obvious, but how does convoke help Crowd's favour in any way/there no X so what the heck does convoke do for the spell?

I think you're talking about Chord of Calling here, and if so, each creature you tap when cast will take Y number of mana off whatever you want X to be. So, you can tap 3 green, and two creatures and go find a 2 CMC creature

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Convoke is 1 colorless or one of that creatures color. So you can pay Crowd's Favor for free if you tap one red creature

sammich

I think you're talking about Chord of Calling here, and if so, each creature you tap when cast will take Y number of mana off whatever you want X to be. So, you can tap 3 green, and two creatures and go find a 2 CMC creature

GAH you know what, Technomancer answered it. I was missing the second part. It gives colorless or 1 mana of that tapped creatures color. Im blind.

Thanks guys

Now if you do mean Crowd's Favor, convoke allows you to tap a creature to pay for one mana of that creature's color, so you could tap a Forge Devil or something to pay for the spell.

Maledict

Um, read the reminder text?

Convoke reduces all mana costs, not just the X. In Crowds case if you tap a creature with a red mana symbol in its casting cost, you can cast it for free.

sammich

Yea sorry all, i wasnt reading convoke fully. I stopped at the colorless and didnt realize it could give you mana of the colour of the creature tapped.

I think Planar Cleansing, Reprisal and Bile Blight are all strict upgrades to Perilous Vault, Pillar of Light and Ulcerate. Generator Servant and Stoke the Flames both have potential.

Um, read the reminder text?

Convoke reduces all mana costs, not just the X. In Crowds case if you tap a creature with a red mana symbol in its casting cost, you can cast it for free.

Note that tokens can tap for mana of their color as well. You don't need devotion.

WanderingWind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";119528990]I think Planar Cleansing, Reprisal and Bile Blight are all strict upgrades to Perilous Vault, Pillar of Light and Ulcerate. Generator Servant and Stoke the Flames both have potential.

Note that tokens can tap for mana of their color as well. You don't need devotion.[/QUOTE]

Bile Blight can't be a strict upgrade to Ulcerate. It's a better card, but not definitely not a strictly better one.

JulianImp

While I love Polymorphist's Jest as a card, my inner Vorthos keeps nagging at me while arguing that the horses should've become frogs alongside the human knights in the illustration.

zethren

Banned
I skipped Theros almost entirely, as the flavor of the set just did not interest me at all. But I've been loving the M15 spoils. I'm definitely jumping back in for it.
And if Khans is tribal like INN was....my god.

I'm most excited about Polymorph's Jest.

Yeef

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";119528990]I think Planar Cleansing, Reprisal and Bile Blight are all strict upgrades to Perilous Vault, Pillar of Light and Ulcerate. Generator Servant and Stoke the Flames both have potential.[/QUOTE]Perilous Vault can go in any color deck, which is a huge boon for it. Planar Cleansing is also going away come rotation. (I also have a feeling that Khans is going to have a graveyard sub-theme, so the exile clause might be pretty relevant.)

Reprisal doesn't hit Courser and other big-butt creatures that more aggressive decks need out of the way.

Ulcerate being cheaper than bile blight could make it a better choice in low-curve aggressive decks. Being able to remove a blocker and drop another threat on turn 3 can make a pretty big difference for those sorts of decks.

JulianImp

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";119540939]How does it make you feel that Pin to the Earth doesn't remove flying?[/QUOTE]

I had to look the card up since I didn't remember it at all, but I'd say Pin to the Earth at least fulfills part of the "pinning a creature down" mechanic (nullifying the creature's ability to attack unless it happens to be powerful enough that it can break free and have some strength remaining afterwards). However, Polymorphist's Jest's art directly contradicts the card's intended effect from a gameplay perspective.

Perilous Vault can go in any color deck, which is a huge boon for it. Planar Cleansing is also going away come rotation. (I also have a feeling that Khans is going to have a graveyard sub-theme, so the exile clause might be pretty relevant.)

Reprisal doesn't hit Courser and other big-butt creatures that more aggressive decks need out of the way.

Ulcerate being cheaper than bile blight could make it a better choice in low-curve aggressive decks. Being able to remove a blocker and drop another threat on turn 3 can make a pretty big difference for those sorts of decks.

• It's a 9 mana wrath when there's already three better ones, and talking about rotation is pointless. For all you know Khans will have a Damnation reprint. Or an even better colorless wrath. I doubt perilous vault is gonna go into some non-control-color deck.
  • It's a 3-mana kill spell. Why would you play a 3-mana kill spell that only hits specific things? Especially when you have Banishing Light and Devouring Light in the same color?
  • Sure. I'm not opposed to it, but I don't think it's especially likely. Black already has an insane variety of removal.

Yeef

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";119544239]

• It's a 9 mana wrath when there's already three better ones, and talking about rotation is pointless. For all you know Khans will have a Damnation reprint. Or an even better colorless wrath. I doubt perilous vault is gonna go into some non-control-color deck.[/QUOTE]My whole post was about where standard will be after rotation, based on what we currently know (Theros Block + M15). Obviously Khans will change things, but we don't know enough about it to know what those things are. I don't think too many cards from M15 are going to make a big impact on the current standard. But come rotation, the only wrath effects will be Vault, Retribution, Extinguish, Mass Calcify, Elspeth and Hythonia. Of those, Elspeth and Vault are the most playable in my mind.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";119544239]It's a 3-mana kill spell. Why would you play a 3-mana kill spell that only hits specific things? Especially when you have Banishing Light and Devouring Light in the same color?[/QUOTE]I think Devouring Light serves a different purpose. The decks that want to remove the big-butt threats want to be attacking the same turn. Devouring Light gives them an extra turn, since they need to block your attack before you cast it.

Banishing Light I just plum forgot about though. Point taken :p

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";119544239]Sure. I'm not opposed to it, but I don't think it's especially likely. Black already has an insane variety of removal.
[/QUOTE]Again, post rotation, without know what's in Khan's, I don't think that's true. Downfall, Bile Blight and Silence the Believers seem that's all black has. Silence is also on the expensive side for an aggressive deck.

Yeef

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";119572814]If that's true then don't start your post with "based on where standard is right now" lol[/QUOTE]Yeah. What I meant was "based on where [our current knowledge of the coming] standard is right now." In hindsight, that wasn't clear at all. I'm bad at language.

Exokell

Banned
I feel like this set is so weak, definite money cards are garruk, and Nissa. Chord of calling and Chandra will be really cheap. Love Nissa and garruk. So good.

Yeah. What I meant was "based on where [our current knowledge of the coming] standard is right now." In hindsight, that wasn't clear at all. I'm bad at language.

Well, unless there's a 2-mana counter and a new wrath in Khans, control is probably just dead. Even with those two it'd probably be pretty weak. Pretty much every card that matters in UWx was in Return to Ravnica block.

Supreme Verdict
Jace, Architect of Thought
Ultimate Price
Azorius Charm
Sphinx's Revelation
Syncopate
Detention Sphere
Pithing Needle
AEtherling

The good control cards going into the 4th set of the new Standard are pretty mediocre quality and don't really build a control shell. I'd be really surprised if Perilous Vault gets anywhere.

1) Control is always a thing.

2) Strike that - there are always players who will try to make control a thing, even when it's bad. So if control can happen, someone will (quickly) figure it out).

f0rk

U/W was pretty spoiled by RTR, I can see why people would immediately think control was bad in standard. But I'm sure something will work out.

Dimefan3

Had my first MTG tournament today down at my local games shop, who were running a beginners session.

Although it was slightly difficult to keep up with, It was quite good fun.
Even if I lost all my games to kids half my age.

Had my first MTG tournament today down at my local games shop, who were running a beginners session.

Although it was slightly difficult to keep up with, It was quite good fun.
Even if I lost all my games to kids half my age.

Keep at it. It'll take a while to play games comfortably and never be afraid to ask for rules clarifications.

Wynnebeck

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";119583056]Well, unless there's a 2-mana counter and a new wrath in Khans, control is probably just dead. Even with those two it'd probably be pretty weak. Pretty much every card that matters in UWx was in Return to Ravnica block.

Supreme Verdict
Jace, Architect of Thought
Ultimate Price
Azorius Charm
Sphinx's Revelation
Syncopate
Detention Sphere
Pithing Needle
AEtherling

The good control cards going into the 4th set of the new Standard are pretty mediocre quality and don't really build a control shell. I'd be really surprised if Perilous Vault gets anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Sigh. Time to get ready to put my Esper deck on Ebay and get ready to run B/W/G midrange.

Wynnebeck

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";119612291]All I know is I have 4 Temple of Silence and 4 Caves of Koilos. That's my standard deck for after rotation. Not worrying about anything else until full Khans spoilers.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. So would your recommend taking out all of the Esper colored Temples and try to sell the deck piecemeal?

Hero

Control always gets hit the hardest at rotation simply because the card pool becomes smaller and everyone is more limited with what they can do. Aggro shines since it's a matter of using the efficient beaters/removal/burn to bring them down to 0. Thoughtseize is still going to be legal along with Hero's Downfall, which are both an amazing start to a Bxx control deck.

y2dvd

Control will probably lean towards U/W/r to have access to Anger of the Gods. Lots of aggressive decks going around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom