• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
BrgG7fpCMAAOiXb.jpg

EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS CARD IS AWESOME

This reminds me a lot of a more random Yawgmoth's Will. A+ design.

Can anyone place the monster reflected in the goggles? It looks familiar to me from another card.

bigkrev

Ix9QwNW.jpg

It would be really nice if they officially came out and said that it works. Is the FAQ really not finished yet that they can't just put that part on the website and calm everyone down?

OnPoint

That's really disappointing that they wouldn't allow a jank 7 card combo to live. Four forests, two planeswalkers and an expensive artifact? Let people try to assemble it. Jesus christ.

bigkrev

That's really disappointing that they wouldn't allow a jank 7 card combo to live. Four forests, two planeswalkers and an expensive artifact? Let people try to assemble it. Jesus christ.

My guess is the design of the card was a 6-8 mana Artifact that just said "You may activate 2 abilities on a Planeswalker each turn", but to push it, they dropped the mana cost and made it a tap ability

ultron87

There are probably way more broken ways to abuse it in EDH or other formats.

bigkrev

There is probably some sort of insane broken combo involving Chain Veil and Tezzeret the Seeker. If you have an artifact that produces 5 mana or more (like an Everflowing Chalice), Chain Veil and Tezzeret, that's infinite mana.

I think it's just as likely that The Chain Veil was inhibited so they don't have to design future planeswalkers around the possibility that it might be broken with Veil.

Lucario

Here, have some janky modern sliver combo:

4 Galerider Sliver
4 Virulent Sliver

4 Gemhide Sliver
4 Manaweft Sliver
4 Sinew Sliver
4 Predatory Sliver
4 Leeching Sliver
4 Phantasmal Image

3 Firewake Sliver

4 Dormant Sliver

4 Sliver Hive
4 Cavern of Souls
4 Ancient Ziggurat
4 City of Brass
3 Gemstone Mine
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Breeding Pool

Add a few copies of Intruder Alarm if you want to make it actually go infinite.

(note: this deck is not capable of winning anything)

Martheron

Hey Magic gaf, i just found out that my local Hastings is going to start holding tournaments. I've always liked magic and while some of my friends like it as well we've only played EDH. between buying packs for chase rares it turns out I have a lot of the parts for Mono green infect and I've placed the order for the rest so I should be good by the 11th. How likely am I to get told to not come back? :p I've heard a lot of people hate playing against this deck, is the hate for it that bad?

ultron87

The Nest seems like a bit of a nightmare against a monsters deck. Their removal is all damage based so you'll get your tokens and if it blocks one of the big non-trampling grounds creatures you're ever so happy.

That said I don't know what deck would actually use it. It is also one of the weirder "creatures" we've had in awhile, since it is really a dwelling.

bigkrev

Hey Magic gaf, i just found out that my local Hastings is going to start holding tournaments. I've always liked magic and while some of my friends like it as well we've only played EDH. between buying packs for chase rares it turns out I have a lot of the parts for Mono green infect and I've placed the order for the rest so I should be good by the 11th. How likely am I to get told to not come back? :p I've heard a lot of people hate playing against this deck, is the hate for it that bad?

Did they mention the format? If it's Standard, your deck will not be legal. If it's Modern, then it's fine. If it's a casual, bring whatever you want/durdle around kind of thing, than I wouldn't bring the deck as no one is going to have fun.

The Nest seems like a bit of a nightmare against a monsters deck. Their removal is all damage based so you'll get your tokens and if it blocks one of the big non-trampling grounds creatures you're ever so happy.

That said I don't know what deck would actually use it. It is also one of the weirder "creatures" we've had in awhile, since it is really a dwelling.

Chord it out!

Martheron

Did they mention the format? If it's Standard, your deck will not be legal. If it's Modern, then it's fine.

Yeah, this friday is Standard, the 11th is modern, and then the 18th is a booster draft. I'm excited because after a huge blow out between two friends everyone stopped playing, it'll be nice to have people to play with again. But the pressure is on because i've never played an actual tournament before. I'm just worried on how I'll do.

*edit* should i bring my trade folder? Its not the best but it's what I have, or are people generally there to just play and not trade at this kinda thing?

Firemind

Should have had a mana ability.

Also, Modern Infect is not that scary. If your local store's community cannot handle that, they're a buncha sore losers.

ultron87

*edit* should i bring my trade folder? Its not the best but it's what I have, or are people generally there to just play and not trade at this kinda thing?

I don't think I've ever been to a Magic event that didn't have some people trading. So yeah, if that's your thing definitely bring it along. Just be sure you have a reasonable idea of what stuff is worth and don't be afraid to look things up so that you don't get screwed in a deal.

bigkrev

Yeah, this friday is Standard, the 11th is modern, and then the 18th is a booster draft. I'm excited because after a huge blow out between two friends everyone stopped playing, it'll be nice to have people to play with again. But the pressure is on because i've never played an actual tournament before. I'm just worried on how I'll do.

Feel free to bring a trade folder, and don't be afraid to ask people not playing in a match if they are willing to trade

Lucario

You'll have a blast. Modern is a great format, and since it's pretty new, I think it's the best place to start out in the competitive scene. If it's anything like my LGS, there'll be a couple of the format mainstays mixed in with shitloads of rogue decks.

And people like to trade, but mostly for format staples. Sometimes it's best to leave the binder home, anyway; keeping track of valuables at an LGS sucks.

I hate modern, even after going x-1 with a deck everyone says is bad. I don't know, it just seems like everything is a damn combo deck. Even I played a combo deck.

f0rk

I don't like the dumb Modern decks that aren't interactive and either go off or do nothing, like Boggles and Amulet (to an extent). Twin and Pod are just good decks that you actually get to play against.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Hastings? How is New Mexico these days?

Also, Infect is for winners. Winners who like to win by winning. Do you want to win? Play infect. Do you want to durdle? Play something else.

rCIZZLE

It's just one of those decks that can kill out of nowhere so unless the matchup is very favorable, nobody is going to want to play against it. They definitely won't shun you for it or anything extreme lol.

Martheron

Hastings? How is New Mexico these days?

Also, Infect is for winners. Winners who like to win by winning. Do you want to win? Play infect. Do you want to durdle? Play something else.

Arkansas actually, close enough though because it feel humid balls out right now.

Well, winning would be nice but I'd rather have fun and make some friends. Oh well, I'll keep a look out for a cheaper deck that I think is fun. Like I said I only built this because I already had most the parts. Id prefer to stay away from something with duals and fetches required though as I don't want to dump a ton of money in again only to stop being able to play for whatever reason.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Arkansas actually, close enough though because it feel humid balls out right now.

Well, winning would be nice but I'd rather have fun and make some friends. Oh well, I'll keep a look out for a cheaper deck that I think is fun. Like I said I only built this because I already had most the parts. Id prefer to stay away from something with duals and fetches required though as I don't want to dump a ton of money in again only to stop being able to play for whatever reason.

Fair enough. But the people who would get mad at you for playing a legal, non-troll deck (just a deck with 100 percent counters or something, I dunno) are probably not the kind of people who you want to get to know. Those people are unstable...lol.

I'd play the deck I own the parts for personally, but if you're looking for another cheap, won't just get murderated deck, your next best bet is burn.

...also, if you win enough, you can import your own friends. From Switzerland.

Jaeyden

This is sweet.

On another note, can you guys point out the bad things about the beta. I've been using it for the last week or so to play matches and I don't think it's that bad. Honestly, there's a lot I like about it. I've used it to deck build for a long time but was pleasantly surprised when I forced myself to draft in it. Besides a few disconnects a while back, I don't see why people get all upset. If you have to compare a turd to another turd I think this one is shinier.

This is sweet.

On another note, can you guys point out the bad things about the beta. I've been using it for the last week or so to play matches and I don't think it's that bad. Honestly, there's a lot I like about it. I've used it to deck build for a long time but was pleasantly surprised when I forced myself to draft in it. Besides a few disconnects a while back, I don't see why people get all upset. If you have to compare a turd to another turd I think this one is shinier.

Yeah, I've been playing in the beta for what seems like forever. A year, maybe more. It's totally playable. People saying that the sky is falling are all high.

Yeah, I've been playing in the beta for what seems like forever. A year, maybe more. It's totally playable. People saying that the sky is falling are all high.

1) It's a huge memory hog and requires an absurdly powerful machine for such a silly simple client. It also currently has a memory leak that will eventually leave your machine unusable.

2) The multi-window setup is obnoxious and unnecessarily cluttered.

3) Cards are significantly harder to read than in the V3 client. It's especially terrible for streaming.

4) Trading, sorting, deckbuilding,etc - they are unnecessarily complex compared to the V3 client.

I could keep going. But V4 does not improve anything in a meaningful way over V3 and makes a number of steps backward, hence the frustration in the community.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's playable. I do wish it performed better. I can't go to the collection scene and select "in your collection=0" without lagging whatever video I have going. I also wish that you could see more card text when they're not zoomed in. Many of the other points are all subjective. The ability to make use of multiple monitors by moving windows out of the main game window is nice, and something that can't be done in V3. Deckbuilding is absolutely fine, IMO. I can actually search for specific effects/wordings/cards easier in MTGO than I can on Gatherer.

Hey guys, I use the magnetic mana symbol deck boxes to carry my decks in and they fit a little too snug in the Ultra Pro case (one of those MtG purses) that I have. It's one of the cases with the foam inside with five slots for decks and a little cubby for dice/whatever. Pulling things out of it causes little bits of the foam to come off and they get all over my playmat and in sleeves, etc. It drives me nuts. I've seen cases which are hard plastic and have adjustable slots inside (they might be for miniatures even), but don't know what the product is called or where to find it. Got any idea what I'm talking about or any other suggestions on what kind of case to use?

lol I bought a shit ton of copies of Caves of Koilos within 15 minutes of the spoiler for ten cents a piece. They're already up to 2.50 lol

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";119327699]lol I bought a shit ton of copies of Caves of Koilos within 15 minutes of the spoiler for ten cents a piece. They're already up to 2.50 lol[/QUOTE]

Is the full spoiler out now?

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";119328920]wtf, Llanowar Wastes is already 11 bucks? Did I just get a free paycheck or something?[/QUOTE]

dat prerelease hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom