• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

I really just want Friday to come around and to look at the full spoiler. I really can't tell what I think about the set yet from a Limited perspective; it looks really wonky, and I need to see what's in the commons/uncommons to know for sure.

My gut right now is telling me that I'm going to be drafting in the hopes of opening fetches more than I am because the set is fun to draft, which is bumming me out...
Oh come on, this can't be worse than Zendikar (and this is a better set than Zendikar across the rares/Mythics.)

Kerrinck

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";129354908]Sarkhan isn't a bad stormbreath dragon with a flame slash added. He's just a bad stoke the flames.

Sarkhan Dragonspeaker
3RR: deal 4 damage to target creature or player.

Ok, maybe he's slightly better than that, but he's just been super mediocre when I played him.[/QUOTE]
He's much better than Vraska on Jund Walkers IMO so he will be a great fit in there if the deck survives.
The fact that he FTK's a threat and leaves a clock behind is pretty nice as well,

Kerrinck

I really just want Friday to come around and to look at the full spoiler. I really can't tell what I think about the set yet from a Limited perspective; it looks really wonky, and I need to see what's in the commons/uncommons to know for sure.

My gut right now is telling me that I'm going to be drafting in the hopes of opening fetches more than I am because the set is fun to draft, which is bumming me out...

As long as it's better than Theros, really hated the limited aspect of it (specially heroic).

Firemind

Oh come on, this can't be worse than Zendikar (and this is a better set than Zendikar across the rares/Mythics.)

Hey, at least the fetches were revelant in Zendikar limited. This is just actual cash grabbing.

(also shut up. triple zendikar is one of the best limited formats of all time. dat feeling when you rite of replicate vampire nighthawk.)

This is true. Zendikar is one of those sets I would almost rather just bust packs than draft.

As long as it's better than Theros, really hated the limited aspect of it (specially heroic).

I actually loved (and still love) JBT. A lot. I also liked TTT a lot, but I did get tired of it by the end. From my perspective, JBT ended probably about a month or two before I was done with it. I know I'm in the minority, but in my opinion JBT was a fantastic format that I would happily draft whenever I get the chance.

Zocano

I'm not really liking all the "late game" hate cards. Midrange decks always end up being my favorite and pure aggro decks tend to not have the complexities I like. I hope this doesn't end up pushing aggro too much but it looks like it will.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So you guys got any ideas what I should be looking for in a Junk ERRRR Abzan aggressive deck?

Right now, I'm looking at a mostly green colored shell (which would probably mean running Sunblade Elf), but I don't know that there's going to consistently be enough Plains to turn Sunblade's bonus mode on.

Possible 1 drops: Soldier of the Pantheon, Bloodstained Brave, Sunblade Elf, Gnarled Scarhide
2 drops: Fleecemane, Rakshasa Deathdealer, ????? something else I'm forgetting?
I was just thinking using Anafenza as the 3 drop. Brimaz is probably a better card, but if the rest of the deck is mostly looking for green mana, seems like I should avoid the double white.

ultron87

There's a GB */* Spirit Warrior token.

en_nelpmzkbvp.png

Definitely looks Abzan. Wonder what will define the P/T and what will make it. I'd like to see something interesting like "P/T equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on creatures you control". It'll be a static P/T set by the spell that makes it, and not something that changes, otherwise it'd have the ability on it like the Voice elemental token.

Firemind

So you guys got any ideas what I should be looking for in a Junk ERRRR Abzan aggressive deck?

Right now, I'm looking at a mostly green colored shell (which would probably mean running Sunblade Elf), but I don't know that there's going to consistently be enough Plains to turn Sunblade's bonus mode on.

Possible 1 drops: Soldier of the Pantheon, Bloodstained Brave, Sunblade Elf, Gnarled Scarhide
2 drops: Fleecemane, Rakshasa Deathdealer, ????? something else I'm forgetting?
I was just thinking using Anafenza as the 3 drop. Brimaz is probably a better card, but if the rest of the deck is mostly looking for green mana, seems like I should avoid the double white.
Brimaz is going to brick so hard in the new standard environment. There's going to be so much removal that can kill him. Like the only removal it doesn't die to is Ulcerate and Lightning Strike.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Brimaz is going to brick so hard in the new standard environment. There's going to be so much removal that can kill him. Like the only removal it doesn't die to is Ulcerate and Lightning Strike.

Its about the same level of removal as before as far as I can tell. We don't have Mizzium Mortars or Doom Blade anymore.

Angry Grimace

Yup and Dreadbore and Ultimate Price will be leaving as well. I think he will definitely shine though the WW might get in the way of 3 color decks.

Yeah, I don't get the claim that removal is better in THS-KTR than RTR-THS.

RTR-THS block had Devour Flesh, Doom Blade, Hero's Downfall, Shock, Lightning Strike, Mizzium Mortars, Ultimate Price, Dreadbore. (obviously not all of those kill Brimaz) Not to mention Lifebane Zombie in every monoblack deck.

The new standard removes Devour Flesh, Doom Blade, Shock, Mortars, Ult. Price, Dreadbore and adds Utter End and Murderous Cut.

Angry Grimace

The "hit anything" removal is better. The cheap removal is much worse.

How do you figure the "hit anything" removal is better? Utter End can only be played by B/W decks and Murderous Cut is only better than Doom Blade if you have the delve resources (which you likely won't on turn 3 when Brimaz comes down). In any case, all of the conditional removal we're talking about kill Brimaz other than Shock and Blight.

Here you go, a grainy photo of a bad-stapled together card that has an extra 1 colorless mana requirement for reasons.

winterflame.jpg

What removal kills Brimaz that also doesn't kill Polukranos? Brimaz is awesome because he's a 3-mana threat that doesn't die to any 2-mana removal. You're always going to get even value unless your opponent has chained to the rocks.

Angry Grimace

There's also
Abzan Charm
Jeskai Charm
Sultai Charm
Mardu Charm
Temur Charm (loose, need a 3/3)
Crater's Claws
Suspension Field
Sarkhan
that all kill Brimaz.

They aren't cheap though. I wonder if they'll print a new edict.

Charms are all limited to three-mana decks that have all three colors available. Crater's Claws costs 3-5 mana to kill Brimaz, Sarkhan costs 5 to cast. Most things die to 4-5 mana removal. Dies to Doom Blade is a relevant argument because Doom Blade costs 1B.

Firemind

The only way Brimaz can get ahead against midrange is if you can cast it on t2, but there's no BoP or Noble Hierarch, so good luck with that. Yeah, they lose Dreadbore, Abrupt Decay, Putrefy, but the charms, specifically Abzan, Temur and Mardu are pretty damn versatile and fill the void very well. Every midrange deck is going to be running three colours and there's a plethora of removal to choose from. There are even mono coloured options like Hero's Downfall and Banishing Light if one so desires.

Angry Grimace

The only way Brimaz can get ahead against midrange is if you can cast it on t2, but there's no BoP or Noble Hierarch, so good luck with that. Yeah, they lose Dreadbore, Abrupt Decay, Putrefy, but the charms, specifically Abzan, Temur and Mardu are pretty damn versatile and fill the void very well. Every midrange deck is going to be running three colours and there's a plethora of removal to choose from. There are even mono coloured options like Hero's Downfall and Banishing Light if one so desires.

You might as well argue creatures are bad.

Its far from certain that every midrange deck is going to be running three colors (Theros block still exists) and as I said, despite the fact you're saying there's a plethora of removal to choose from, there actually isn't, particularly not compared to the last block's standard, which also contained a great number of those cards.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";129388607]Brimaz is a midrange card.[/QUOTE]

I just think dies to Doom Blade is a bad argument when applied to a three-mana 3/4 with vigilance and token generation. Its like saying Polukranos is bad because he dies to Abzan Charm.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oblivious as I am, I didn't know Polukranos saw play. What decks run him? His monstrosity always seemed too expensive for competitive to me, seems like you'd need to pump 7+ mana into it to be worthwhile

Angry Grimace

Oblivious as I am, I didn't know Polukranos saw play. What decks run him? His monstrosity always seemed too expensive for competitive to me, seems like you'd need to pump 7+ mana into it to be worthwhile

....what? Really? G/R Monsters has been a Tier 1 archetype since Theros came out.

Firemind

Polukranos is a green 5/5. Brimaz is a 3/4 with double white in its cost and is bricked by Courser of Kruphix. You also can't play Brimaz in multiples and overwhelm, whereas Hero of Bladehold was fine as a four-of in the white aggro decks and was a faster clock to boot. The dies to removal argument applies because Brimaz just doesn't provide a fast clock; your opponent can either kill him or dig for answers and block with whatever he or she has. By then he's not going to beat Elspeth or a Stormbreath or whatever.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";129388607]Brimaz is a midrange card.[/QUOTE]

:lol

MjFrancis

I had all these deck ideas in place for Standard with all sorts of new Khans cards, but instead of fussing with any of that I'm just going with U/B Control. I have most of the deck already, Khans will add a bit here and there, and it's not like Thoughtseize is getting any worse.

That being said, I'm hyped for Khans Limited. Drafting should be fun.

Angry Grimace

Polukranos is a green 5/5. Brimaz is a 3/4 with double white in its cost and is bricked by Courser of Kruphix. You also can't play Brimaz in multiples and overwhelm, whereas Hero of Bladehold was fine as a four-of in the white aggro decks and was a faster clock to boot. The dies to removal argument applies because Brimaz just doesn't provide a fast clock; your opponent can either kill him or dig for answers and block with whatever he or she has. By then he's not going to beat Elspeth or a Stormbreath or whatever.

So basically, creatures are bad because they die to whatever removal the format in question has.

Hero

It sure can.

It's a fine card. It just reminds people a lot of better cards (Fire // Ice, Electrolyze), and it strikes me as the sort of card that just isn't going to find a home.

For the environment it's fine since with 2 damage you're going to be able to kill a morph creature that can potentially be a bigger dude.

I've been playing with two abzan charms in my deck all day and god the card is good. Sign in blood to get land drops or cycle the top for courser. Exile polukranos or gods. Combat trick to buff brimaz tokens or courser when your opponent makes safe blocks. Card is insane.

Wow that's straight up borderline. Basically an Ancestral Recall at it's best possible outcome. I'm wondering how many mill decks will come out that'll abuse the crap out of this.

I predict that someday they'll bring back Delve, only tweaked to only exile creature cards.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gold Gods at 7 Devotion: Massive mistake in retrospect, imo.

Should've been 6 at most, if not the same 5 as everyone else, since gold and devotion already conflict with each other.

I didn't know courser could block two creatures. Brimaz is efficient on attack and defense, pressures your opponent while defending your board and synergizes extraordinarily well with the other abzan cards like mentor of heroes, sorin and abzan charm. That's a textbook midrange creature.

embodimentofspring.jpg

I like the flavor of this card.

chiefoftheedge.jpg
chiefofthescale.jpg

Clever how they show the differences between two clans at the same mana cost. This also disproves the theory that Mardu two-color cards will only be RW and BR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom