• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

Why it's 5 mana + sac? This doesn't seems the best incentive to go mono or twocolored.

I still believe in legendary Plateau

Well it'd be absurd if it didn't have to sac. It is no man-land, but in Limited it is total gravy to include if your mana base is reasonable. Might not be constructed playable, but I could see some deck wanting it as an uncounterable way to get a few dudes.

bigkrev

Guys, it's a card for Limited. It has synergies all over the set in multiple colors, and unlike something like Darksteel Citadel, has enough upside that makes it worth including in your deck even though it makes your colors weaker.

It's an ability that has been playable in constructed at 3 mana (Midnight Haunting), so making it 5 with the upside of being uncountable and producing mana seems perfectly fair.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
RIP assorted second land cycle dreams.

en_0t1o6eIuSL.png

They are really making Kaladesh look like the most interesting plane in the set. I do hope its either Spring or Fall 2016

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
When does BFZ come out again? I think I'll be fine skipping buying product/drafting/prerelease for this one.

Beginning of October.

We'll find out some stuff about it in a week or so (SDCC).

Guys, it's a card for Limited. It has synergies all over the set in multiple colors, and unlike something like Darksteel Citadel, has enough upside that makes it worth including in your deck even though it makes your colors weaker.

It's an ability that has been playable in constructed at 3 mana (Midnight Haunting), so making it 5 with the upside of being uncountable and producing mana seems perfectly fair.

I'll have you know I won my first ever real modo draft with the ensoul artifact deck

He's not kidding - he did 3 of the gods in Theros block + Brimaz, then has jack shit in Khans. Wasn't one of the ADs fired 2 years ago?

Wow, any idea why? He seemed really involved.

Yeah, he's one of the concept team for Theros. He didn't just paint Erebos, etc. He came up with the design and backstory as well. I even bought one of his sketchbooks off him, I'm a big fan of the dude and hate to see him go out like this. He was one of their more important artists.

Jhriad

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170678603]Yeah, he's one of the concept team for Theros. He didn't just paint Erebos, etc. He came up with the design and backstory as well.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like there's a train wreck behind the scenes at WOTC and it's peeking through in some of the poor art in this set.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
My guess is that they overcosted it so it wouldn't see play in Affinity decks. At 2-3 mana + sac, it may be worth playing.

Sounds like there's a train wreck behind the scenes at WOTC and it's peeking through in some of the poor art in this set.

The only other art director than Jeremy Jarvis at Wizards I know of is Cynthia Sheppard and it's hard to believe she would give out poor assignments. Plus, she seems to be on good terms with him.

That said, when I went to one of Karla Ortiz' seminars she was talking about how important a good art director is. Like, really emphasized it. And she has arguably the widest variety of experience of any major contemporary illustrator.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170680754]The only other art director than Jeremy Jarvis at Wizards I know of is Cynthia Sheppard and it's hard to believe she would give out poor assignments. Plus, she seems to be on good terms with him.

That said, when I went to one of Karla Ortiz' seminars she was talking about how important a good art director is. Like, really emphasized it. And she has arguably the widest variety of experience of any major contemporary illustrator.[/QUOTE]

Jarvis has been AD since Time Spiral, and I find it weird that actual AD issues would only start showing up now. I could buy that there has been a lot of skeevy business stuff going on for years now that's only about to come out though

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170680754]The only other art director than Jeremy Jarvis at Wizards I know of is Cynthia Sheppard and it's hard to believe she would give out poor assignments. Plus, she seems to be on good terms with him.

That said, when I went to one of Karla Ortiz' seminars she was talking about how important a good art director is. Like, really emphasized it. And she has arguably the widest variety of experience of any major contemporary illustrator.[/QUOTE]

You and Karla need to get a room

G.ZZZ

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170691647]Someone play me on cockatrice.

I'm freaking out looking at Horizon Canopy's price chart and need distracting.[/QUOTE]

You didn't list ur acc name on Cockatrice u dumbo

ultron87

So, remember Zachary Jesse, the player who T8'd Grand Prix Atlantic City, and then people found had pled guilty to Sexual Assault?

He has now been suspended for the next 35 years http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/suspended-dci-memberships

Even though I was on the side of "don't feature him whenever possible", a ban, if it wasn't for some recent unpublicized incident, sets a pretty rough precedent. I guess I wouldn't be totally against them having some sort of wide reaching rules about sex offenders and Magic (though it is entirely unenforceable unless we're adding background checks to DCI numbers), but just doing it to one guy because it got publicity seems wrong.

Edit: And thinking on it more I remember there's all kinds of screwed up stuff about sex offender status in the US so having any sort of wide ranging rules would pretty messed up.

bigkrev

zKGqdB7.png

So, uh, yeah. I really hope that WOTC puts out a statement. If Geordie Tait of all people thinks something is wrong, you probably screwed up

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Good. This is a good precedent.

Does anyone have a problem with Patrick Chapin being allowed to play Magic? Or being in the hall of fame?

This is an awful precedent. They don't have any kind of policy in place and are basically doling out punishments as they please.

red13th

kirblar

Does anyone have a problem with Patrick Chapin being allowed to play Magic? Or being in the hall of fame?

This is an awful precedent. They don't have any kind of policy in place and are basically doling out punishments as they please.
No, I don't view drug dealing as anything remotely comparable to violent sexual assault.

That's some bullshit that they banned him for no reason.

You didn't list ur acc name on Cockatrice u dumbo

What? My name(HeebyGB) is on the sidebar and nobody else has had problems finding me for games.

Also I just got kicked and accused of not knowing how to play because I tried to make a joke with my opponent.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
No, I don't view drug dealing as anything remotely comparable to violent sexual assault.

They're both convicted felons. Are you saying one guy should be celebrated and promoted by Wizards and one guy should be banned for life because one was a sex crime and the other wasnt?

If Wizards wants a policy that bars certain folks bring being in their community then have that. They don't right now.

I really should start writing the names down of all the jackasses on Cockatrice so I don't accidentally rejoin games with them. There are some pretty crazy people on there.

More importantly, my French Dark Depths just arrived in the mail ^_^

Anyone wanna trade me a Marit Lage token?

kirblar

They're both convicted felons. Are you saying one guy should be celebrated and promoted by Wizards and one guy should be banned for life because one was a sex crime and the other wasnt?

If Wizards wants a policy that bars certain folks bring being in their community then have that. They don't right now.
Yes. This is not a double standard. This is two separate standards for two different types of acts.

Felony is a legal classification utterly irrelevant to the discussion.

Angry Grimace

Wizards is free to make an ad-hoc decision that they don't want rapists hanging around their mostly-for-children game. Image actually does matter: I personally would be far more uncomfortable playing Magic against a convicted rapist than a convicted drug trafficker.

bigkrev

Response:

Here is a statement I've been given to post. I cannot give any follow up.
"We work hard to make sure all players feel welcomed, included and safe at our events so that they can have fun playing Magic. We don’t generally comment on individuals or provide position statements in the abstract, but we take action to address player issues and community concerns when we feel it is necessary."

Glad to see them being so open about it

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Yes. This is not a double standard. This is two separate standards for two different types of acts.

Felony is a legal classification utterly irrelevant to the discussion.

Except there are no standards here. There isn't any kind of guideline policy they're following here.

If Wizards wants to ban players for issues not pertaining to Magic thats their prerogative but Wizards isn't taking this seriously. If they were they would institute a background check policy. They would have a personal conduct policy in place banning folks who they don't want involved with their marketing machine. They chose to ban a guy here because the issue came to light thanks to some third parties.

People being banned for arbitrary reasons with no policy in place isn't something to applaud. It doesn't address anything. Their comment on the whole issue is just an acknowledgement of the banning without an actual statement on how they're going to address these issues in the future.

I know that Richard Kane Ferguson (Jasmine Boreal) refuses to work with magic anymore and says they treat their artists like crap, his son plays at our LGS.

RKF has been one of my favorite Magic artists since I was a kid. Wizards makes me sad sometimes.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170694683]
More importantly, my French Dark Depths just arrived in the mail ^_^

Anyone wanna trade me a Marit Lage token?[/QUOTE]

eeeeee Dark Depths. I've been waffling on whether or not to buy one for a couple months. I'm pretty sure I'm never buying one of those tokens, though. I just use cards from other games as my tokens.

G.ZZZ

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170694023]That's some bullshit that they banned him for no reason.

What? My name(HeebyGB) is on the sidebar and nobody else has had problems finding me for games.

Also I just got kicked and accused of not knowing how to play because I tried to make a joke with my opponent.[/QUOTE]

Oh i'm stupid sry, i didn't connect that name to u.

Angry Grimace

Except there are no standards here. There isn't any kind of guideline policy they're following here.

If Wizards wants to ban players for issues not pertaining to Magic thats their prerogative but Wizards isn't taking this seriously. If they were they would institute a background check policy. They would have a personal conduct policy in place banning folks who they don't want involved with their marketing machine. They chose to ban a guy here because the issue came to light thanks to some third parties.

People being banned for arbitrary reasons with no policy in place isn't something to applaud. It doesn't address anything. Their comment on the whole issue is just an acknowledgement of the banning without an actual statement on how they're going to address these issues in the future.

Why does it matter if there is a guideline policy? Banning a rapist for his rape-history isn't arbitrary at all.

Wulfric

You've gotta wonder what happened between Theros and Tarkir block for Mohrbacher to go from having 11 heavily promoted cards to 4 measly commons. He illustrated 3 Theros gods, Brimaz, and the face cards for the event decks. I could see why he would be annoyed he didn't get to do anything noteworthy for the entirety of Tarkir block.

Speaking of art, I don't think they've revealed a single Raymond Swanland piece for Origins. Unless I might it somehow.

Angry Grimace

kirblar are you sitting down

you might want to sit down

Calculated Dismissal 2 U (c)

Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 3.
Spell mastery — If there are two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, scry 2.

Toxi

Banned
I know that Richard Kane Ferguson (Jasmine Boreal) refuses to work with magic anymore and says they treat their artists like crap, his son plays at our LGS.
What's kinda interesting is that there was a huge break in his art for the game until he did a few pieces for Time Spiral and Shadowmoor block. Then nothing.

I'm not sure if it's because at that time he wasn't interested or if Wizards just didn't commission work from him. Either way, it's pretty clear now he's not coming back and it's a damn shame Wizards drove off an artist of his talent.
Speaking of art, I don't think they've revealed a single Raymond Swanland piece for Origins. Unless I might it somehow.
Another reason the art for Origins is terrible overall. Love Swanland's art, spiky brown messes and dutch angles and all.

kirblar

thea steele ‏@wmap 8m8 minutes ago

Having to play against actual cheaters with short bans has a much bigger impact on my experience at a tournament than Zach Jesse being there
Regardless of your opinion on the situation- this is a very true statement. The lack of lifetime bans for cheating is completely stupid.

Angry Grimace

99% of the art looks the same now anyways. I barely care unless they do stupid shit like money-shot serum visions.

Hero

That counter spell counters anything? No creature only or non creature clause? That's dumb. More draw land go I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom