• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

5 rare spots left to go, 5 land spots left to go, no reveals yet? Feels like we have a (new?) allied land cycle coming.

That they've waited until the end makes me hopeful it's for hype. But the cynical part of me says they'll just quietly reveal them in the full spoiler.

Also hey page 100 already. Way to go MTGAF! Healthy community is healthy.

ultron87

This seems like this could be good somewhere?

201770_1.jpg

bigkrev

5 rare spots left to go, 5 land spots left to go, no reveals yet? Feels like we have a (new?) allied land cycle coming.

Eh, we still don't have stuff like Evolving Wilds spoiled yet, and i'm guessing there is a U land that helps the artifact deck they seem to be pushing for Limited. There probably isn't a cycle of rare lands, that "half" of this set is probably the KTK fetchlands.

Current Cockatrice playgroup:
  • Ultron87
  • WWind
  • HeebyGB
  • phazedplasma
  • G.ZZZ
  • Jhriad
  • Truman
  • Roy_Burns
  • Bandini
  • duxstar

maybe i'll play steam vents and no one will notice.

the only duals i have are 4 underground seas, one tropical and one bayou. that's more than i have fetches. :lol

gibs pls

Those are literally exactly the last 6 cards I need for Legacy Reanimator lol

G.ZZZ

This seems like this could be good somewhere?

201770_1.jpg

This is probably uber good in Loam lists and U/R delver wannabe lists. I think it will see play in Legacy and Modern (is LftL banned in modern? don't remember)

RDW might also want this. Play 24 lands +4 of this for the smoothest draws, maybe add a confidant Kreygasm

I'm gonna have to appeal that answer to a higher level flavor judge

Black gains knowledge by trading its own life. Green gains knowledge by harvesting nature. Blue gains knowledge by research. Red gains knowledge by destroying the land for resources and revelations.

White gains knowledge via trade concessions and recruiting squires

e:

f151TGQ.png

dumb with fetchlands.

ahhhhh Titania is so happyyyy

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That card is kind of awesome.

You get 2 bears per fetch and there's a ridiculous Nissa Explosion ramp card in this set. I don't know that it's gonna really be a thing, but I bet someone will try.

It's listed as "card art" though. So it might be time that we do get it on a card.

So it's landfall without calling it landfall?

Landfall isn't a keyword, its just an ability word.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There are a bunch more in the new Spellslingers episode, people are parsing them now.

Bloodcursed Knight
Creature - Vampire Knight
1BW
3/2
As long as you control an enchantment, Bloodcursed Knight gets +1/+1 and has lifelink.

Zendikar's Roil
Enchantment (Uncommon)
3GG
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, put a 2/2 green Elemental creature token onto the battlefield.

Stalwart Aven
Creature - Bird Soldier (Common)
2W
1/3
Flying, renown 1

Anointer of Champions
Creature - Human Cleric (Uncommon)
W
1/1
T: Target attacking creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn

My reaction when Origins spoilers started

yupyh6um.gif

My reaction when later cards were spoiled and I realized how many toys I'd be getting for my only deck

tRXsjmh.gif

G.ZZZ

It's listed as "card art" though. So it might be time that we do get it on a card.

So it's landfall without calling it landfall?

Akros

Legendary Land - Mountain Plain

Not a cycle, just this one. Hyper mythic. Next year, they'll print :

Urborg

Legendary Land - Mountain Swamp

Then the year after that

Llanowar
Legendary Land - Plain Forest

And then the catch is that new legendary island duals never get printed.

Jhriad

With the additional reveals this set feels pretty dominated by enchantment crap. Meh. Whatever these lands end up being better be good.

El Topo

Why haste? So random.

Probably didn't want to lower the cost, instead they slapped on Haste. Also there's at least some synergy in that the card comes into play and damages (or removes a creature), allowing it to deal damage or at least make the choice to block more difficult for the opponent. Would've seemed a bit awkward without Haste actually.

duxstar

Urborg is already a Legendary Land.

I really feel like they are trying to push g/w into some form of control deck for this set. I'm half tempted to try it. The biggest problem is no spot removal.

Anyone wanna try helping with the brew lol

Tragic Arrogance
Nissas revelation
The great Aurora as a 1 of
Mastery of the unseen
Dragonlord Dromoka
Elspeth Suns Champion
Gaes Revenge
Den protector
Deathmist raptor
Courser of Kruphix
Nissa

The idea is to get a ton of permanents out with Deathmist, Den protector and Mastery to keep you alive to the late Game where you play cards like Elspeth to get a ton of tokens and Mastery activations then play the great Aurora and beat them with card /land advantage. Since you are the deck built to have more lands and creatures that enter the battlefield that draw you lands. This is all theory of course but it sounds incredibly fun.

Also I know I'd you have a ton of tokens and Elspeth that you're probably winning that game anyway =)

All possible cards

I really like the synergy between Deathmist raptor and Evolutionary Leap as well

Joe Molotov

I like that they've given Red two ways to throw away those pesky extra lands. You can either turn them into a Shock or a Tormenting Voice.

Firemind

I'm thinking of it as a kind of defense breaker in limited. It comes in, pops a creature, swings in as part of the following attack.
Probably didn't want to lower the cost, instead they slapped on Haste. Also there's at least some synergy in that the card comes into play and damages (or removes a creature), allowing it to deal damage or at least make the choice to block more difficult for the opponent. Would've seemed a bit awkward without Haste actually.
I mean, apart from gameplay reasons, she's a human wizard, basically. With haste. I don't think I've ever seen a hasty wizard before. There's Vulshok Sorcerer, but she's a shaman and her art at least looks hasty.

And there goes my yearly rant about how wizards doesn't know how to design u/r cards. It's a tradition at this point.

kirblar

The land pic from earlier- what was the source? (And could someone repost it via twitter image or something, I'm curious. :p )

I mean, apart from gameplay reasons, she's a human wizard, basically. With haste. I don't think I've ever seen a hasty wizard before. There's Vulshok Sorcerer, but she's a shaman and her art at least looks hasty.

And there goes my yearly rant about how wizards doesn't know how to design u/r cards. It's a tradition at this point.

Think of her as the artificer version of this

GJlhDvo.gif

I honestly think it fits

y2dvd

R/U has some great tempo cards in this set.

Claustrophobia
Disperse
Send to Sleep
Fiery Impulse
Lightning Javelin
Magmatic Insight
Clash of Wills
Fiery Conclusion
Hydrolash
Ravaging Blaze

And this is just the commons and uncommons. Lots of solid removals and cheap draw spells. I haven't seen much removals at all from the other colors.

Going R/U, you most likely will have some artifacts in play, making Artificer's Epiphany an instant Divination. That's damn good.
By the same token (pun intended), Reclusive
Artificer might as well be a removal.
Separatist Voidmage bounces so why not.

So far the archtypes are U/R Thropters and B/G Elves. What are they doing with white?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom